Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I just read the full plot description for Invincible, and that whole thing sounds like a series of yikes followed by wtfs, one right after another. The whole series was like that?

Don't forget Denning throwing casual sexism around. Paraphrasing here, but there's a section where Jaina and Jacen had a fight, but Luke was projecting his image over Jaina's. When the illusion broke, Jacen was surprised to see his sister. Later on, she talks about this with the OG 3 and talks about the surprise Jacen had shown. Han, for some loving reason, chalks this up to the fact that Jaina was a girl and thus couldn't possibly best Jacen in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

You know this started for me as a casual re-reading of the X-Wing series and deciding to just keep going chronologically to the end as a fun goof. Said Goof has lead to me reading NJO for the first time and seeing how overall great these old stories could be and Swarm War was very much the average/below average experience. Considering i'm so close to the end of everything and it only goes farther downhill from here i am tempted to do it just so that i can say i did. Even if that kind of accomplishment means less now than it did even 10 years ago when these things were still semi- canon:v:

I'd love to hear your opinion on the Legacy of the Force series, especially the end book. Even as a stupid teenager, I knew it was a crappy book.

The series after that, Fate of the Jedi is where I tapped out of the EU and haven't touched it since.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Oh yeah, Crucible, forgot I read that, albeit it was many years later after I'd stopped reading EU stuff. The fact I forgot I read it is a review in and of itself :v:

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Tbf the "Revan and Malak went to the Unknown Regions and encountered the True Sith" started with KOTOR 2, though it was Drew Karpyshan's crappy writing that explicitly made it so they were corrupted by the Emperor and killed off the Exile for no good reason :argh:

I've posted before about the Exile being killed off, so hey another excuse to do so :v: iirc, it was because the Exile wasn't a KOTOR 1 character that Drew decided she needed to go out in the lamest way possible. God I hated that Revan book.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Revan and Bastila have a kid called Vaner.

I shall name my child Nhoj. Actually, that already sounds like a Star Wars name maybe Drew was onto something.

There's a part in the book where Revan and Canderous go to find Mandalore's mask and the latter introduces Revan as "Avner". Ugh, loving really. Even the character they were trying to fool wasn't impressed with that one.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
And to top it off, I'm pretty sure all the changes made in the book were approved by George Lucas himself.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to me. i think lucas is a very good big ideas man, but he needs others to put it into words and craft it. like he can scupt the general shape really well but others need to do the details because he isnt bernini.

Oh I absolutely agree. I think it was his wife basically saved the script of A New Hope. That's why (imo) the prequels writing is utter dogshit, cause he did the script himself (not even Carrie Fisher doing some ghost editing could save it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed. i think i think the did the best they could with a very dumb idea. personally i think the vader poo poo saves alot of it because i like seeing multiple sides of vader and the last fight/talk was one of my favorite star wars moments. i like vader trying to in a weird way "comfort" obiwan.

The Vader/Kenobi dialogue post fight is what saved the series for me, I just loved the little bit of Anakin coming through to assuage Obi-Wan's feelings before Vader took over again. It's just a shame the rest of the series was so hit and miss, especially with some of the direction. Also, the use of The Volume was extremely obvious, especially in the flashback fight scene.