Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The funniest part is you could still set it like 600 years before the movies and yet plausibly have Yoda be a master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I kind of want to read just the Walter John Williams and Matt Stover Vong books just because I like thr authors

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey fellow lore nerds: I've been getting into painting Star Wars Legion and I want to do a unit of Rebel Commandos as Korun militia; does anyone know if they've been visually depicted or really even described there? Shatterpoint is pretty light on description iirc other than being a very irregular force. There's like one picture of Mace with Nick and Chalk I found that just has them in brown

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I got the ESB short stories book out of the library pretty much just for General Battuta's story (which was very good), what else in there is good?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Teek posted:

There is!

There's also a story about the captain and Star Destroyer that gets blown up in the asteroid field.

Yeah that's the goon project (it's great)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I want to say it either happened in Inferno or Revelation, but I'm leaning towards Inferno because that was one of Denning's poo poo sandwiches. Revelation is a dog's dogshit book too from Karen Traviss but I enjoyed how absolutely over the top stupid it was when it ended.

It was the last book; and yeah Traviss and Denning are both awful and miserable but Traviss at least has some good dumb fun bits. She also turned out to be a huge BNP shithead though so who can say

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

can't believe chuck wendig is a lovely writer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/starwarsfonts/status/1575929550495657984

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That doesn't explain Hans hair/head situation

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I snuck a New Rebellion ref into new canon just for the sake of perversity

Including Haruun Kal means all is forgiven

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

General Battuta posted:

The old EU is a cavalcade of horrors so profound and absurd it reads like an Aristocrats joke though.

It's easier to pretend the Vong didn't happen tho

E: vvv its even easier to pretend all the poo poo after the Vong didn't happen too

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 2, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Aww man they didn't ask me back :(

Apart from the story being good in general (I think about that purpose of the Empire speech a lot) I appreciated the Haruun Kal shoutout

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah that sounds great, and congrats on getting published. E: removed

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 4, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Are the clones even fertile in the nu-canon? Feel like the urge to gently caress would be something the Kaminoans would have edited out right quick

e: wow this is my worst snipe ever

Yeah there's at least that one deserter in Clone Wars

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Karen Traviss has a clone get his Jedi commander pregnant and then goes into explicit detail about how the Jedi was totally fine having a relationship with a ten year old.

You are correct. I should not post at 3AM.

Lmao i missed that. Incredibly funny how she was actually right about how hosed up clone armies are (though that's also kinda the point and not unique to her) and then just completely undercuts it so the heroes can get laid

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah Hard Contact isn't bad, Traviss can write some fun milSF when she wants to and the brain worms hadn't set in yet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jazerus posted:

it sort of makes sense for the numbers to be weirdly small because star wars is about naval battles and sheevy p is trying to manufacture a war as cheaply as possible while still seeming like a major galaxy-wide calamity. keep the numbers small but blast a lot of poo poo from orbit to make everyone afraid and willing to bow to the empire when the time comes.

does this square with literally any depiction of the clone wars including traviss's? no, that poo poo's all about ground action obviously

Yeah Stover's take on it was to say that because that's a ludicrously small number, clones must be only the tip of the spear and most of the garrison and smaller actions are being fought by guerilla wars

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think it's just a pretty straightforward "troops are good but politicians are evil" stance

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Say what you will about the Disney movies but they were technically better at having Han's son fall to the dark side while all the authors were constantly feuding with no clear purpose

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also while Traviss comes across as more of a personal rear end in a top hat I still think Denning was even worse in LOTF

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I got the impression the ISB wasn't so much explicitly sexist (the way they're speciesist) but there's still very much a boys club mentality going on. Idk if the "Kenari male" thing was supposed to be explicitly racist- especially since his origin is a plot point- though we do see Imperial officers holding the human Aldhani in contempt

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I also read Rogue Squadron recently and while Stackpole isn't really a good writer he's perfectly adequate rather than offensively bad, and I really liked the feeling of these guys just being a cog in a massive war that's much bigger than them. Like there's no galaxy ending threats or even much of a personal arc, theyre just here to do a job

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Republic really comes across as more of a space EU or UN rather than a single unitary government yeah. Leave each system to its own devices as long as they aren't too obvious with their human rights violations, just there to resolve intersystem disputes and regulate interstellar trade

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I seem to recall that, especially if you count that everybody claims the Outer Rim even if nobody actually cared about controlling it, at least around Thrawn's time the New Republic also wasn't super big because the Empire still controlled the Deep Core and whatever other territory.

Yeah a lot of Leia's plot in the first Thrawn book is going around to random de facto independent planets and convincing them to join up with the New Republic

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Jedi Prince is goofy as poo poo, but the yeah, I’d rather have that than the poo poo Denning was cranking out for the last several years before the buyout.

Kind of curious to see if Junior Jedi Knights holds up better or worse. YJK’s reading level is so dumbed down it was hard to get through the two books I’d missed as a kid.

I remember reading the YJK books in like 8th grade and going "hmm these aren't terrible but they're clearly written for younger kids, maybe I'll try KJA's other books" and immediately going "oh no he just sucks"

Lord Hydronium posted:

Say what you will about the rest of the Legends reset/Disney era, I think replacing the continuity mess and running joke that was stealing the Death Star plans in Legends with a movie as good as Rogue One kind of justifies the whole thing by itself.

Yeah I hate 90% of the post ROTJ stuff in new canon, but genuinely prefer most of the interwar period stuff. There's a few things I miss but they're still there in spirit- like nostalgically I want to see Garm Bel Iblis but Saw Guerrera is arguably a better take on the same idea.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I love the prologue describing the battle of Coruscant so much. Two is enough, because the adults are wrong, and the younglings are right. Though the age of heroes is ending, it has saved its best for last.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah like Boba Fett does Yojimbo sounds like a good idea but man they did not execute well

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also like a lot of things in SWTOR it's just lazily copying stuff that happened in the movies and not thinking through the context

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Isard pronounced as Eye-sard or as Is-sard? This could be almost as mindscrewy for me as the time I realized Tycho Celchu was pronounced Sell-Koo and not Kel-Chew

Huh i was doing Sell-Chew

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Funnily enough one of the current tourney promos for Legion has a Bothan, though given their tendency towards reusing art idk when it was first drawn

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

now lemme pitch a star wars remake of The Baader-Meinhof Complex

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I really want to see a Pentagon Wars riff about the Incom engineers getting desperate enough to sell their design to the Rebels

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

A sudden official patch for a 17 year old game is not something I was expecting. I kind of had no clue Petroglyph was still around, even though the Command & Conquer remasters were on my radar.

Didn't they do that ww1 RTS that came out a few months ago?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bad Batch s2 was unironically better than Mando or Ahsoka, though maybe I'm just blanking out the memory of the run of filler episodes in the first third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bf2 has comp stomp multiplayer but no galactic conquest. The problem is that it's missing a bunch of features, but also original battlefront is clunky as poo poo and the AI is incredibly bad