Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Recently I've been getting back into reading some of my old legends books that i haven't read since high school (mostly the X-Wing series at the moment) and while i know there is basically no chance in hell that Disney will just wholesale use the plot from these books written back in the mid 90s for the Rogue Squadron movie being made i almost wish they would. They still hold up pretty well even today! (Corran Horn is such a mary sue though wth)

I took a cursory glance at Wookiepedia since i remembered at some point in the book series it jumped ahead a bunch in the timeline and i just :psyduck:'ed at how much Legends stuff there really was. I thought i read a ton of these things as a kid but it turns out i was very wrong. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE

A shame it seems my collection basically ended with these xwing books though since it seems like the stuff they have already brought back is from around the time i would have been reading these books and playing all the videogames with the Star Wars logo on it. New Jedi Order is when they killed Chewie off right?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I wonder which series of events would be worse to live through

Is it the movie version of events of "fight the empire in our 20s and then the first order in our 50s-60s"

Or what the legends timeline eventually setteled into with "different galactic threats to deal with every 5 years or so, but we're also still fighting into our 50s-60s"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Jazerus posted:

if you made a clone of ahsoka, which vowel would you double in her name?

ahhhsoka

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I mentioned a while back that i was re-reading the legends books that i have. With the additional insight of a timeline to follow now i thought it'd be neat to read these things in chronological order. Just now starting Part 3 of the Thrawn Trilogy and i can't loving believe they called back to that stupid, out of nowhere blaster in a book thing Corran found in Krytos Trap. Although considering the Thrawn books came out 4 years before the Rogue Squadron books i guess it's more of a reference/callback to the Thrawn series than any kind of cool, consistent universe building. It's still really neat to see though! :v:

The weirdest thing is how Rogue Squadron went back to just "Rogue X" in dialog now with no names,no personality and assumingly all human!But i guess things like that can't be helped when going chronologically and not in release order.

I remember lots of people (myself included at the time) thought they should just make the Thrawn trilogy into episodes 7 8 and 9. But re-reading them i think if they actually did i would get kinda bored with how often the characters would go to a planet, get some plot and then get attacked by a Star Destroyer. Before Thrawn would just kinda bullshit his way into guessing where they would be going next.

Mara Jade should come back into canon in some way, she's pretty cool when she's not being moody about The Emperor being dead for 5 years.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

I enjoy the Thrawn trilogy as much as the next person, but the whole "they should be the sequel trilogy" thing has never quite sat right with me. I think they present a very different vision of Star Wars than the movies, less of the operatics and mysticism and capital-D Destiny stuff and more of a nuts and bolts mil sci-fi focus. You can definitely see the RPG roots of it, and in particular, the way that Zahn handles the Force feels very much like something built around game mechanics, with very clearly defined limitations and counters to Force usage. And like to be clear, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and I very much enjoy that you have all these different takes on Star Wars, just that Zahn's stuff (and Stackpole and Allston as well, to an extent) always felt to me like their own direction on SW than a direct extension of the movies. As opposed to say, something like Dark Empire that feels like it's using a lot of the same themes and tone as the original trilogy.

I can kinda see how that might have been the default Star Wars Nerd take for a long time since there was no prequel trilogy to pull from when these books first came out, and even afterwards there was a very vocal part of the fanbase that hated those movies for a long time. Thus defaulting to Blue Villain Man Good, even if the way these books are written don't quite "feel" like Star Wars in the traditional sense.

Knowing how the actual Sequel Trilogy shook out though, i think it best Thrawn was left alone for as long as he was. I don't know how badly they might have messed it up with him in Rebels as i never did get into that show when it was premiering.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 22, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

Ironically, Chewbacca is one of the last OT main characters who isn't dead in the new canon.

No one's ever really gone

Episode X,XI and XII will be the Palpification of Han,Leia then Luke respectively

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Trip report from the first half of my reading of Vector Prime as i start diving headfirst into New Jedi Order. It was talked about a bit upthread about how the Thrawn Trilogy didn't really feel like Star Wars to one person as it felt closer to light mil-sim sci-fi. I'm getting that same kinda feeling from this first book, i kinda dig the body horror tone the Vong are setting up but the grim dark edginess of their actual culture just makes me giggle now and is just a strange mood to bring to Star Wars. I am cautiously optimistic so far.

Going from the X-Wing/Thrawn era to so much later in the Legends timeline also leaves me a bit confused since i don't know who this Kyp Durron dude is or when or what this weird disease Mara suddenly has is. It reminds me of going from book 8 to Book 9 of the X-Wing series and being confused as to who this Thrawn guy they kept talking about was way back when i first read these things in high school :v:

I feel like i would have loved the hell out of this book more back in my edgy teen years. I would have been OUTRAGED at Han and Chewies "Dad goes on the scary rollercoaster" scene. Han Solo being more humble as he approaches middle age and not wanting to throw himself into an asteroid field for no good reason? BLASTPHEMY!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

He's the worst. All you really need to know is that he was a student at Luke's Jedi Academy, was lured to the Dark Side by a Sith Ghost, killed billions with ship that could destroy solar systems, but then turned back to the Light Side, so everyone just forgave him. And everyone's just cool with that.

He's basically the angsty teen self insert, though he's obviously older than that by the time Vector Prime rolls around.

Yeah how old is he suppose to be now? The twins are 16 with Anakin maybe 13/14? With the way he is written and how it says the kids look up to the him i would assume he's in his twenties then? or close to it?

Knowing that HE is suppose to be the angsty self insert and not Jacen is interesting since Jacen himself seems the very definition of rebellious ansty teen Jedi that doesn't want any higher authority MAAAAAAAN fits the bill better.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 14, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Chewie went out like a goddamn hero :911:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I was just saying how the Vong culture was making me laugh at how grim dark edgy and cool they are but now that i'm finishing up Dark Tide 1 and there was only the epilogue to give them a bit more character i have to say i kinda miss their perspective on things from Book 1. But even with only this second book i can already see how this series would have been a major turn off. The horrors of war and child/teenage soldier Jedi badassedly cutting down wave after wave of killbotsbugs is a little :jerkbag: and i know that it's only going to get much worse! oh no!

I have managed so far on the absurdity on the concept of body horror aliens invading Star Wars and turning into a gritty war story, lets see how far my curiosity and patience will carry me :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Was personally very disappointed Corran Horn didn't die at the end of Dark Tide 1 fighting that Vhong like i thought he honestly should have considering he barely beat one and the other was eaten by the antlions from Half Life 2.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm a bit less than midway through Agents of Chaos 2 atm and i'm really enjoying this scene on the Vong ship where this Chine-Kal dude is coming across more like a camp councilor or like a personal trainer trying to get everybody fit than a slave master making sure everybody works faster. :allears: I mean maybe this scene will take a turn for the dark in a minute but i'm enjoying this dudes energy

"Okay yall are doing really well right now.But i can see by the coloration of this doval basin that you could be doing BETTER! So we're gonna try a group exercise instead! Don't worry if the tentacle beast gets a little grabby or tries to probe your mind with it's telepathy, it just means it likes you! Lets all work together to bring this invasion to a swift end :D"

Shedao Shai really was a weirdo edgelord even for a Vong wasn't he?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

How am i almost 100 pages into Balance Point and NOTHING has happened?!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm kinda blindsided by how much better Edge of Victory 1 and especially 2 where after how meh Balance Point was!

Now i come to the 2 books of NJO that i've had this whole and had no context for when i originally read them. These 2 books will probably be the only ones that don't have the nice LEGENDS header along the tops of spines and that annoys me slightly! But i was also dreading this moment since 600 something pages is RIDICULOUSLY more than anything else so far and just by looking at the covers of Star by Star and Dark Journey this is where things take a turn for the needlessly dark and grim isnt it?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

That's good to hear then! I was kinda worried considering the book before that ended with blowing up the world ship cocoon and Kyp Durron trying to justify killing Vong civilians/civilian infrastructure after keeping that fact it a secret from everybody.

Thanks for making us all war criminals Kyp! :thumbsup:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

They are renaming it to the model of ship it already is called?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I know it's a bit redundant to say, but MAN is Star by Star long! Like it really feels like they kinda combined 2 books into 1 as it felt like the story was wrapping up at page 300 and then immediately continued to go forward.

This back half going over the Jedi strike mission is kinda bumming me out a bit though.The constant running battle these kids are in as they are dying off one by one is kinda depressing to read through. I'm sure that's exactly the kind of tone they were going for in this bit but...yikes man i'm a little :smith: right now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Wait did they really just kill both Anakin AND Borsk Fey'lya in this one book :psyduck: That is...not something i saw coming! Especially for the second person in the spoilers, kind of assumed they would always be around to be a convenient antagonist type for when a Capital B Bad Guy isn't around to menace people.

Like, where do they even go from here? Coruscant falling was inevitable but i kinda figured they would wait till near the end of the 20 book series and not the 9th!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

VaultAggie posted:

Fey’lya being an incompetent turd was probably the most realistic part of NJO. Him getting to go out with a bang and blow away a ton of Vong loving ruled though.

Being an incompetent turd is just in keeping with his character, with which he was consistent to the end at the very least. Also killing those Vong was secondary to all the secret political poo poo he blew up along with him. :colbert:.

Although credit is due to him taking a bunch of Vong with him. This series is at least consistent in major characters going down spectacularly . Anakin especially with his weird super Force Ultra Instinct thing he did before died.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Okay i have to admit "Is every third human in this galaxy named Solo?!" out of the frustrated Vong commander in Dark Journey legit made me chuckle out loud and now i have to explain what's so funny to my coworkers here at the vaccination clinic :blush:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Talk of bringing back the Rebel Alliance but calling it The Resistance in this old book is messing with me and mixing new and old continuities in my head.

I never did read the pre Force Awakens stuff but i imagine circumstances surrounding this old Resistance is far more interesting then how it came about in the new canon

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Why is Traitor so much more expensive and harder to find online? I must always have a backlog of 2 books to be waiting for me as i'm currently reading one! :ohdear:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

They have, all the ones i've bought so far have the legends banner minus Dark Journey and Star by Star since i bought those many many years ago.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

What country/platform are you looking at? In the US, and I'm seeing new copies on Amazon for $8 or Kindle for $9, and on eBay used copies seem to run about $3-4.

i've just been going through Amazon for all my purchases and it was a bit surprising to see the prices go beyond $8 for a few of the sellers on there (and lower as well tbf), Didn''t have that come up when i was buying any of the others. Although considering it's the most popular book in the series i can see why there would be many different options there.

It was kinda the same when i went looking for copies of Star by Star and Dark Journey that had the legends banner along the top but they ended up being more money than i was willing to spend to rebuy a book so alas i won't have all the books have Legends along the top for this collection. :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's not just you, i also got really confused at times where and when everything was happening in relation to each other during some of the action sequences. Particuarly near the end when Jacen is fighting the queen voxyn and it keeps jumping around or they fall down to certain levels of the little ship/platform thing they are on. Or whenever the jedi kids got clever and used their lightsabers to go up and down levels of the ship was a little :psyduck:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I liked the talk of "well he didn't disappear like Obi Wan did! That means he's still alive!" in that thread. I suppose at that point there were not many references for dead Jedi other than Obi Wan and Qui Gon and good ol' Anakin Sr himself who both also got the funeral pyre treatment.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Anakin did return in LOTF when Jacen provided Tahiri with access to time travel sex.

Was gonna read Leacy next considering its next in the timeline and all but now i HAVE to read it for the context

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Rebel Stand was pretty good! Han and Leia kinda didn't have much to do in this book but at least their relationship seems to be in a good spot again? So there is that at least! I'm a sucker for any scene with Wedge in it so reading the ending got me super pumped to see X-Wing Jesus himself just go HAM and do his thing was great :allears:

With the way the book and the characters kept describing Lord Nyax I was picturing more of a Dark Jedi Mr.X or Nemesis in my head but once the fighting actually started i went "OH IT"S LIGHTSABER KNEEPAD MAN!" and i kinda couldn't take him very seriously after that revelation hit me. Doesn't help he's yet another character from yet another book that i've not read before so all i could was just enjoy the image of Jedi throwing chunks of buildings at each other and getting flashbacks to Yoda v Palpatine in the senate chambers throwing the hover podiums at each other.

Could you read Dark Journey on it's own without having read Traitor? I kinda want to wait and continue reading in order but sadly the order got delayed until the 15th so i will have wait a bit longer before getting all the juicy plot revelations

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Er, i mean't Destinys Way, i already read Dark Journey! me dumb :v:

But knowing that info then, i think i will just wait. Gotta get the full picture before moving on!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

WOW was Traitor a good read! I think it's the only one of these books i've ever just read through in basically one sitting since so much is always happening you wanna see what comes next. Being relatively short really helped it there too :v:

Even in a post KOTOR 2 world where discussions on there being no absolute Light or Dark side of the Force is very well tread territory by this point it was still presented very well considering the point of view is this kid that has had veryhorrific things happen to him whereas in like the Jedi Knight games it was Kyle Katarn or KOTOR 2's Exile that were full grown adults that had very different circumstances surrounding their fall/self isolation.

So i don't know if i'm just not getting the point or if it gets explained in later books but when Jacen comes to the revelation of The Vong essentially just being on another wavelength of The Force that Jedi normally can't interact with and that's why they are essentially invisible to Force senses is that the correct read? It's intentionally played off like not a really big deal revelation but i feel like there needs to be a bit more of an explanation there if there isn't one coming up in later books.

Also going through this whole series so far and knowing vaguely that Jacen goes on to do bad things later on in life i was wondering how this whiny, broody, flippy floppy Jedi kid was gonna end up becoming that and OH LORD is this whole series and especially this book a good reason why he might have some grievances!

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 16, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I talked about KOTOR 2 a bit when reading through Traitor but now that i've finally getting to Destiny's Way and here is Jacen just straight up doing Battle Meditation as it was in KOTOR 1 with a single Jedi hanging out on the bridge of a capital ship directing combat :psyduck:

I guess Star by Star was the first time it was technically used by a large group of Jedi and you could argue they did it first in one of the Dark Tide books when all 3 of the Solo kids were fighting at Lando's Folly. But is the first time it's done in the way it was presented in KOTOR 1 only a year later! Wonder how many of the writers at Bioware or Obsidian took inspiration from NJO while writing the games.

Edit: After so much of a build up it really was kinda disappointing that Tsavong Lah just gets merc'ed by Jaina in one stab to the throat when she can't even properly move at the time they were even fighting! For a book that is a bit too slow paced in places and was a bit overly long i'm glad that fight was at least short but kind of felt thrown in at the last minute to just get rid of Lah so that we can focus on what happened to Nom Anor and what the deal with Shimraah is despite that though i overall enjoyed Destinys Way! Almost to the end now dear friends.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 25, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

“Dad, tell me about Han and Chewie’s gay floating house?”

Well sport, it all starts with this kid that lived underneath Yavin 4 named Ken...

Come to think of it RIP Ken and The Lost City of the Jedi when the Vong went to Yavin 4, they were pretty through when they took over there.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

After 15 books of hyping it up Nom Anor finally uses his stupid poison spitting eye thing! and then he immediatly regrets it!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I hope it's not an ill omen that the copy of The Final Prophecy i just got came with a huge chunk of the last page torn out of it. :ohdear: The Force Heretic series was a little slow and overlong but overall was pretty enjoyable. Can't wait to see how this whole thing shakes out and then....Bug Time!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Just finished up The Unifying Force. What a goddamn ride this series has been!

It starts out so middle school edgy and dark and serious but very quickly comes into it's own while bringing in very Not Star Wars elements into Star Wars that i would say worked very well for it in the end.

I feel like since i only read what's effectively the highlight reel of this era (X-Wing, Thrawn, Truce of Bakura) that i was missing out on a few key bits of knowledge here and there but for the most part it was all great stuff.

I've only got a couple lingering complaints/questions at the end of it all

1.Nom Anor Seriously? He just blows up with Shimrra and Onimi? For all of his scheming and all of the times i think he could have or should have died was just so he could fail one last time to kill the Solos and then just get blown up? Kind of a lame way to go for one the best characters in this whole thing. Even Tsavong Lah had a better death and he got beat in 5 seconds by a girl who could only use one hand at the time!

2. C-3PO and R2-D2: In particular the scene where The Falcon crashes into the hedge maze and the ship is overrun and Han and Leia are captured is a pretty drat effective scene at showing how dire things really are since it's the first time Vong Warriors have been gotten into the Falcon and put the heros into real danger. I can accept that they were in need of more sacrifices so they wouldn't have necessarily killed Han and Leia right away but the TECHNOLOGY HATING Vong didn't just smash poor 3PO and R2 into scrap metal? Why waste the time and effort and possibly risk committing heresy by NOT destroying technology when you see it? They spent the better part of 18 other books smashing up droids and throwing the remains into a pit!

3. Jaina and Jacen: no real complaint on the characters themselves but it's kinda messed up how neither of them ended up in a relationship. Danni can do better and Jaina and Jag are a cute couple :(

Time to go from a series that is generally well loved to one that isn't with Swarm War! At least this one is only 3 book and now i have more context for these characters than the first i read them! Pretty sure they were the first post NJO books i read and the first ones i read after i had finish the X-Wing series in high school so i had ALOT of questions :v:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 22, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah I'm not the squemish type by nature but some of the torture scenes were a bit much at times. Especially considering i can still remember when some of these characters were going on fun kid jedi adventures on Yavin 4 and like.

Star by Star straight up saddened and depressed me by the end which i can't say many books have, let alone a Star Wars book

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Nom Anor DID fake his death! He just waited 18 years to be recanonized :D

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Zorba the Hutt better be the villain of Season 1 :colbert:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

My favorite part is when they get to the library and everybody is SHOCKED and HORRIFIED to learn that everything is actually in BOOKS!!! It's gonna take forever to find anything and you have a chuckle because it's kind of funny, but then it's not funny when that plot line just grinds to a halt as they very slowly look through books. Meanwhile things are still slow on Bakura and oh geez there's how many pages left with no chapter breaks?

Can definitely see why you and many other people bailed on NJO right around this time at release. Everything that comes after is amazing though so it's worth going over the hump!

Because Nom Anor is starting to lead a bunch of Refugees? Or he is a Refugee of the higher Vong class himself? It's hard to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

On that point, i'm glad the images are back up for your read through the The Jedi Prince books! The world can once again have Dark Greetings with Trioculos