Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Kind of sad that that character isn't singing Leia's drugged out version of the main theme from the Holiday Special.

Wouldn't that mean admitting they own the Holiday Special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The only good thing about Detours is that it uses Han's animated design from the Holiday Special

Also yes, the series itself is...uh...something

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Retool Rogue Squadron into a tv series like they did for the Boba and Kenobi movies, obviously

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lego Skywalker Saga even pokes fun at how many stories there are for the Death Star plans and has Dooku carry off a pile of them as large as he is at the end of Attack of the Clones

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yeah, that was a weird period in the comics

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually thought the comic adaptation of the Thrawn novel was one of the rare occasions where a comic adaptation was better than the original. I don't think either one was great, but I think the adaptation's art added a lot, while also trimming out a lot of unnecessary stuff from the novel.

That being said, I've kind of dipped out of Star Wars comics after the Rise of Kylo Ren. I never read more than a few of the Darth Vader or Aphra comics but one of these days I could see myself buying some trades and going through those. I think I might just need a bit of a Star Wars detox, but getting back into a backlog of good Star Wars trades I could see being fun.

The Poe Dameron comic had a decent start, then a bit of a lull, and then its last two story arcs were really strong, on the level of the old X-wing comics. If it had kept up that quality from the start, I think it would be held up as a modern-era classic, instead of... kind of forgotten like it seems to be.

The Vader and Aphra comics are usually good binge reads, and I've gone back to them several times over the past few years, and they hold up well

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OhFunny posted:

Oh and I think this is the first portrayal of a trans character in Star Wars. One of the main characters is non-binary too.

We've also got Sister from Queen's Hope

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RA Salvatore interview about the AotC novel

quote:

And in the wake of Vector Prime’s release, you would’ve been asked to do the novelization for Episode II?

R.A. Salvatore: Yes, they asked me, and my first response was actually no. There’d been controversy with Vector Prime and Chewbacca. Shortly after that, my brother passed away. It was a very tough time. I do want to say that the Star Wars fans were great, and even the ones who weren’t happy about Chewbacca, I understood why. So, I took a pass on Episode II, but then my friend Terry Brooks called me, and he’d written the novelization of The Phantom Menace. He said, “Are you crazy? You get to work with George Lucas!” He helped me get out of my dark place and told me that this was something I wanted to do.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But guys, they blew up Tantive IV and killed Nien Numb, the most memorable ship and character

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

It's especially funny because in the new Disney canon, it was specifically stated somewhere that Vader blew up the Tantive IV after capturing it, but Abrams just disregarded it because he wanted to include it for symmetry. I think there were a few other things in TROS that also just ignored existing continuity from the books, but can't remember what by this point.

Not to say that movie makers shouldn't ignore stuff like that, but it's just funny because the argument for ditching the EU was "we can now build a totally-cohesive continuity where reference books and movies are equally valid" and... whoops!

The Empire reported the ship destroyed, but it was eventually found derelict, restored, and gifted back to Leia (per the TROS visual dictionary, which is basically the only way you're going to learn anything about the background for the movie, so ¯\_:smith:_/¯)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Siivola posted:

"Adopted daughter of Space Hitler" doesn't really scan very well these days.

"Great Grandson of Hitler metaphorically lusting after Daughter of Hitler" is where the true money lies

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Features Han and Leia's wedding, as well as their honeymoon aboard the Galactic Starcruiser Halcyon a trip that can also be yours for a measly 5 grand for two nights

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, I think we all know it's going to be something like Rey's mom's grandmother was the captain of the Disney Hotel Starship

Uuuuuurrrrgh, the worst part is they've done similar things with the comics before, using them to lead into upcoming books, or to build on plot points introduced in movies (a lot of comics suddenly started caring about fuel around the time TLJ came out, for example, and after Solo, the comics were kind enough to also show off a giant fuel explosion)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"We were promised a handsome reward."
"I am your reward. Do you not find me handsome?"

"He said we would be left in peace."
"The transmission was garbled. He said "in pieces."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Now you can read the novels, the comic, and the manga for a TV show

When does the Broadway adaptation drop?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Humerus posted:

Luke has his saber in the flashback(s) in TLJ, but he uses Anakin's in his force projection at the end of the movie (to gently caress with Kylo). I swear it's in that little hidey hole next to Leia's when he gives that to Rey in TRoS but I've only seen it once so I can't be 100% sure.

Nope, it's just Leia's in the hole, and she buries Anakin's and Leia's at the end of TROS

The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition says that the green saber's now stored in Ahch-To's repository, along with the rest of Luke's belongings

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Finished up Brotherhood, and similar to Master and Apprentice, noticed it has a lot of similarities with the prequel movie it's placed around

Master and Apprentice had Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan safeguarding a queen

Brotherhood had:

- Obi-Wan and Dexter interactions
- Obi-Wan going off alone on a mystery hunt
- Anakin spending time with a stubborn female who tags along on his missions (with no awkward romance given she's nine this time)
- Dooku working through an agent
- Padme being used to forward a message to Coruscant
- Obi-Wan getting apprehended and put on trial
- Anakin coming in to save Obi-Wan

Can't wait to see what novel they release for RotS's 20th anniversary

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Props for the grody realistic version rather than the cutesy Looney Tunes one as well

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jivjov posted:

I'm actually right now trying to get caught up on a bunch of new releases that have come out and I've backburnered due to having something resembling a social life now. I've been prioritizing High Republic stuff but once I'm done with that, what should be my next read? The Ascendancy trilogy finale? Ronin? Brotherhood? Queen's Hope?

Queen's Hope takes place chronologically right before Brotherhood

So I'd say read the books in the reverse order of how you listed them out

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Battuta posted:

I don't understand.

There's names written in Aurebesh on the wall of an underground railroad called The Path helping people escape the Empire

Quinlan Vos, Valin Halcyon, Djinn Altis, Roganda Ismaren

Also "for light and life" which is a High Republic saying

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

I appreciate Fey'lya for having a name that really follows the George Lucas tradition.

...I am actually mad I am only just now getting the pun

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SirPhoebos posted:

That's not how you pronounce a 'y' or an 'a'.

It's "failya," as if you're saying failure with an accent

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Trying to explain the War of the Bounty Hunters arc be like:

:allears: I really wish it was handled better

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Y'all have dirty minds

But you're still right

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars: Traitor, Chapter 11 posted:

For the sake of argument, suppose the conquest of Coruscant has caused casualties on an unimaginable scale.

Suppose ten billion people died in the Yuuzhan Vong bombardment.

Suppose twenty billion more were killed in the ground-quakes that accompanied the alteration of the planet’s orbit.

Suppose another thirty billion have since starved to death, or been killed by Yuuzhan Vong search-and-destroy teams, or have been poisoned, or eaten, or otherwise died from contact with Vongformed life.

Suppose an additional forty billion have been enslaved, or interred, or otherwise held captive by the Yuuzhan Vong.

These supposed numbers are exactly that: pure supposition. Imaginary. Even when Coruscant’s planetary database had been intact, the global census had been mostly guesswork. In the wake of the conquest, there was no practical way to number the missing and the dead. One hundred billion is an unreasonably high figure—probably outrageously inflated—but even so.

Subtract these casualties from the preconquest population of Coruscant.

There are nine hundred billion people left over.

Nine.

Hundred.

Billion.

:eng101:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Could've sworn Legends Coruscant used to say 1 quadrillion for its population rather than trillion on the ol' Wook

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Robot Style posted:

I remember before Episode 9 came out, one of the more consistent fake leaks / fan theories was that the Resistance would bolster their army by reactivating an old droid factory. It could have been a nice way to bring things full circle and continue the "underdogs defeat a technologically superior enemy" theme by having the previously cutting edge droid army become the ragtag obsolete fighting force.

Coruscant is definitely a weird omission from the sequels, especially since it almost made it in a few times. Abrams originally wanted to blow it up in 7 before being told no and coming up with Hosnian instead. Then Trevorrow was going to include it in his version of 9 as the slum-ridden capitol of the First Order, and Abrams originally had it in his version of the movie as the site of Palaptine's resurrection before creating Exegol like two months before filming.

Rebels S4 should've ended with Kalani showing up with a droid army rather than space whalesquids :argh:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Desert party planet gets named, but even after playing that level in Lego Star Wars like two hours ago I can't remember what it is.

Pasaana, as in "let's not pass up another sand planet"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I enjoyed how dense Ronin is with its world-building, which yes, makes it a little hard to understand everything, but what's there is an interesting twist on the setting

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Did anyone ever read The Princess and the Scoundrel?

I did

It was...fine. Sweet, even. Foreshadowing some events for TFA, but overall I found it rather flat

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

It looked like Tales of the Jedi came out. Anyone watch it yet? Kind of disappointed that it looks like it’s prequel era rather than the KOTOR era of the 90s comics.

It's...fine

The Dooku episodes (Justice, Choices, The Sith Lord) are the better story of the bunch

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

Cal Kestis has built a new life for himself with the crew of the Stinger Mantis. Together, Cal’s crew has brought down bounty hunters, defeated Inquisitors, and even evaded Darth Vader himself. More importantly, Merrin, Cere, Greez, and faithful droid BD-1 are the closest thing Cal has had to a family since the fall of the Jedi Order. Even as the galaxy’s future grows more uncertain by the day, with each blow struck against the Empire, the Mantis crew grows more daring.

On what should be a routine mission, they meet a stormtrooper determined to chart her own course with the help of Cal and the crew. In exchange for help starting a new life, the Imperial deserter brings word of a powerful, potentially invaluable tool for their fight against the Empire. And even better, she can help them get to it. The only catch — pursuing it will bring them into the path of one of the Empire’s most dangerous servants, the Inquisitor known as the Fifth Brother.

Can the Imperial deserter truly be trusted? And while Cal and his friends have survived run-ins with the Inquisitors before, how many times can they evade the Empire before their luck runs out?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jivjov posted:

Also, the final "reveal" that Qui-Gon literally just overslept and missed Obi-Wan's call feels excessively juvenile.

Would you expect anything less from him though?

Also congrats on finding yourself, and I hope it all goes well for you!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lando spends 11 years on Pasana and never once thought "Maybe I should go look through that ship that's just sitting there, with that old droid we literally found and tossed aside because it wasn't charged. There's no way to charge a droid in a galaxy that literally has more droids than living things in it nosiree. I am very smart."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jivjov posted:

And the author had to rewrite a scene or two cause he accidentally copied a plot point from TRoS (hidden storeroom in the wreckage of the DSII)

Meanwhile Luke finds a wayfinder compass that led him to Exegol Ahch-To in the death star ruins a hidden Empire observatory in Battlefront II, so it's not like it's a new plot point either

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

So basically, the Emperor knew about Ahch-To, and didn't send a star destroyer to just freaking purge it and all the Jedi stuff there? Or loot it?

It might've already been purged/looted, hence why the compass was in storage

Given Palps' interest in reaching the World Between Worlds, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought the compass itself was a key to a gateway, but when it just led to another temple (and only that temple, as each compass was tuned to a specific point in hyperspace) he stored it away

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

But then in TLJ we see that, nope, the Tree Temple full of all the Jedi books is basically untouched?

Luke brought those with him - he found them throughout the galaxy in his search for Jedi history, such as the book with the wayfinder, which he found on Ossus

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

“World between worlds”? Some new thing they’re going with?

From Star Wars Rebels (shown very briefly in S1, but not named or expanded on until S4)

Short version is time travel, long version is Palpatine wants in so he can become all-powerful and gets denied

It can be used to see and alter past events, although there's the possibility of throwing things out of whack if you meddle too much, but it's only been used once in canon, and will likely show up again in the Ahsoka series

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

People think that it's going to be a big part of the Ahsoka show. I think it was also part of the Treverrow version of Episode IX, if I'm remembering right.

That was Mortis, which exists within the Force as its own realm, and has ties to it

(A mural that opens a gateway to the WBW)

bunnyofdoom posted:

lol if they use it to retcon the sequel trilogy.

Unlikely, but who knows, maybe we'll get What If? scenarios that play around with other concepts related to it, whether it's aspects from early movie drafts, Duel of the Fates, or Filoni making Ahsoka the cause of the entire Skywalker saga when she has to do something that enables Palps' rise to power rather than let the galaxy explode because...reasons

Don't hire me, LucasFilm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

This is just rumored leaks so who knows if it's true but according to said alleged leaks the WBW will be used to show us an alternate ROTS where Ahsoka fights Vader on Mustafar, which might also have Hayden Christensen back as well

If you've got them on set, make the most of the time you have with them, I say

Combining the versatility of the Volume with the library of assets that ILM/LucasFilm has accrued over the years, you could easily set up whatever scenario you want in a fraction of the time and cost it'd have taken 15 years ago - they absolutely could do the whole "Rey and Kylo battle across setpieces from the Skywalker saga" thing that Duel of the Fates wanted to do, and if they want to do that with Ahsoka and Vader, by all means, go for it