Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Disney has made content exclusively for foreign markets before. They made a really good anime called Fireball that isn't available outside Japan. They have a whole subsidiary, Disney India, that produces content exclusively for India.

I don't think there needs to be a nefarious reason for Disney to make something just for China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the Tie Fighter comic. It's good. I was slightly dreading that it would just be like, oh these guys are good guys but the officers are all evil so the good guys turn traitor or are double agents or defect immediately or something. But it didn't do that at all. Instead it was all about how you could fight for the Empire and still see yourself as a good person. They saw the Empire as just a continuation of the Republic and the Rebellion as basically following in the footsteps of the Separatists. They were just fighting for peace and order.

I actually really liked it, so it kinda sucked when issue five is just "Oh the Emperor died END OF COMIC" I wish it had gone on longer following the pilots before the end of the Empire and I wish it had continued on after the Emperor died.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chairman Capone posted:

On the topic of Star Wars books, I just read Alan Dean Foster's fan outline for Episode IX that he wrote after watching and hating The Last Jedi, and... yikes:

(You have to go down manually to the 1 May 2018 entry):
https://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/updatesframe.htm

To be fair, there are a few things in it I like. Even Foster recognized that the logical thing to do was end it with a citizens' uprising on Coruscant. Also had some clear Dark Empire vibes, funnily enough. Having Snoke initially reveal himself as a clone to punk on Kylo thinking he was the poo poo for slicing him in half was also good, the Agent Smith-like Snoke clone army not so much. But the Rey storyline is so bad it's almost parody.

Jenny Nicholson did a really good review of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanyjLmB1Bs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thrawn527 posted:

Just so we’re clear, I made a typo earlier. I’m not putting Halo in the OP here. I’ve never read any Halo books, and I don’t really see a reason to link Halo and Star Wars books. But talk about them in here all you want, whatever floats your boat.

Did Avatar get any tie-in novels?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thrawn527 posted:

I assume you don’t mean The Last Airbender, in which case I don’t think so, because when I google it, all I find are Last Airbender tie in books.

They may be waiting for James Cameron to make his 4 insane sequels that no one is asking for.

Unless you did mean The Last Airbender, in which case google tells me I have good news for you...

No I meant the movie Avatar. I know there was a tie-in comic, so I was wondering about novels. But I guess it makes sense people don't want to write stuff that could get overwritten by the upcoming movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

All of this is handled very well in the original Mobile Suit Gundam. You can have sympathetic characters on the bad guy side because, for a lot of them, it's not really an issue of ideological commitment. They lived in a place, and that place went to war, so that's the side of the war they're on. Juts like how it is in real wars.

The empire has been around for 20 years by the start of Star Wars 4, that's a long time for people to accept that that's just the way things are.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Principality of Zeon was also the first and last time that the everyday combatants against the Earth Federation had that excuse. Anyone raising the flag for Zeon after the war were in the same boat as the Imperial Remnant in Mando: die hard fascists who couldn't accept that they had lost

You really should read Gundam Thunderbolt. A lot of Zeon Remnants couldn't accept that they had lost because they had given everything to the war. They had nothing left. They weren't die-hard fascists, they were broken. And the Earth Sphere was so hosed up from the One Year War it's not like they had many other options. Keep fighting or go try not to starve in a refugee camp

And then like three years later the Titans show up and resistance to the Earth Federation becomes good actually.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 28, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The other day I went to the used book shop to get some Star Wars books. I didn't remember any of the titles from the recommendations in this thread, so I decided to go purely on chance. I picked a few books completely at random. And I selected the first one to read today also completely at random. I left it up to chance, to fate, dare I say it, to The Force?

So bright and early on this lovely cold holiday morning I picked up the first book to read in this exciting new Star Wars continuity, the first Star Wars book to read in at least 15 years, the first book of any kind I was going to read in this new year, a weighty hardback tome with the intriguing title of Dooku: Jedi Lost.

I'm not one to believe in omens. But,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At least it's a quick read.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how was it? i always liked dooku as a character concept for various reasons.

its not that quick, it's over 400 pages. But I'm more than a quarter through it already. I am somewhat at a handicap here because my understanding is that Count Dooku is in Star Wars 2 and 3, and I only saw Star Wars 2 once, on television, and I don't think I saw all of it. And I'm not sure if I've ever seen Star Wars 3, I might've just watched the Plinkett review. And even that was quite a long time ago, so basically I have no idea who this dude is.

I did kinda enjoy the detail that apparently a ton of people have left the Jedi Order over the years for all sorts of reasons, but this has never made the Order reconsider any of their very stupid rules.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dooku "aced lightsaber class". That's an exact quote, he aced lightsaber class. loving hell the prequels really sucked all the mystery and magic out of the Jedi. Lightsaber class, Jesus Christ. What was Jedi homework like?

"My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" Do you agree or disagree? minimum 5 pages, 12 pt font, Times New Roman, single spaced. Include a cover page and a works cited page.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Did Dooku ever get more than a mononym? Or is he just... Dooku?

Also, is it common for jedi to learn where they were taken from? Dooku knows about and inherits his family's fortune and status in some way, and Quinlan Vos still had strong connections to Kiffu/Kiffex in the comics. Do other folks who were inducted into the jedi order in mostly traditional ways know about their families? I remember Ahsoka having some interaction with other togruta at one point, but if I remember correctly they were just some randos, not related to her in any way.

According to Dooku: Jedi Lost, Dooku is from House Serenno. So presumably if he needed a full name it would be Dooku Serenno or Dooku of Serenno.

Also Dooku found out his backstory by accident, when he's a kid and he goes on a Jedi field trip to Serenno and Newtype flashes on some girl that turns out to be his sister

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At one point in Dooku: Jedi Lost, a sound is described as rising "like the Beatles A Day in the Life". That's in a Star Wars book. They literally didn't edit the script at all before printing it as a book and selling it in actual book stores for MSRP $25.

Those self-published Amazon ebooks that try to piggyback off popular searches by being called like "The Star: Wars: Hammer of the 40,000 Space Marines Episode 9: Babylon Lexx" Are more professionally produced than this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait seriously? can you like take a picture or something. id like to send it to my friend if real.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's a script. Script directions are always out of character and their purpose is not to maintain verisimilitude to the reader but to the eventual listener/viewer. I don't see that as unforgivable.

Yes but scripts usually aren't published and sold as novels. When they are, then perhaps a once over by an editor to make changes to maintain verisimilitude for the reader would have been appreciated

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read Dooku: Jedi Lost. Also known as Ventress reads her bosses diary while being annoyed by a ghost. Its the story of Dooku, just an ordinary Jedi who wanted to experience familial love, fight evil, and had some dark thoughts that that should've been confronted and dealt with instead of suppressed. All of which was expressly forbidden by the Jedi Order. So he became evil.

I know that in theory the problems with the Jedi Order are supposed to be part of a story of institutional failure. A grand tragedy about a society that has decayed to the point that it's easy for fascism to take over. But in practice it's very stupid. The Jedi Order is not a once great group of noble warrior monks who have lost their way, it's a traumatized child factory. "What if they came up with the worst possible way to train Jedi? Just like, comically obviously terrible." is not a very compelling question to me. the answer seems somewhat obvious.

And none of the prequel era stuff even takes the Jedi training very seriously. They take literal babies, expressly forbid them from ever experiencing parental love and leave them in the care of intentionally emotionally distant teachers who communicate in extremely unhelpful vague sayings that imply that the child should know the answer to all their questions already, and the fact that they don't is disappointing. In order to prevent them from ever experiencing bad emotions, they are not allowed to experience good emotions. And when they feel strong emotions of any kind, they are shamed for their failure and told to repress it. If you took this scheme seriously, the obvious conclusion is that all Jedi would be insane. A child who is never allowed to experience love does not grow up to be a functional adult. Your average Jedi would be more like Ed Gein or Albert Fish than kindly old Gandalf

And another thing, Dooku: Jedi Lost is a completely unedited script, including instructions for the sound mixer, that is being sold as a novel. It sucks, don't buy it or read it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rochallor posted:

Midichlorians are kind of dumb, but they're essentially a storytelling shortcut to show how powerful Anakin is, and in that regard they're far superior to the KJA method of "a weird bump in your brain, also, a Force thermometer."

But they also had the thing where Anakin was the only human racer. They could've just played that up a bit more, he's unconsciously using the force to guide himself on these crazy races. Qui-Gon, being somewhat unorthodox, could've recognized that unusual manifestation of Force ability. It was already there in the movie, it didn't also need Midichlorians

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are the Jedi in that era allowed to experience love?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I haven't read the book under discussion, or seen the movie where it happens. But wouldn't it be easy to say that lightspeed ramming is very rarely done because if your aim is off by even the tiniest amount you'll miss? Presumably you have to start building speed from a fairly significant distance in order to actually be at lightspeed when you hit your target, and since you're going at lightspeed you won't have time to adjust your course after you start. So if you're like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a degree off when you start speeding up, by the time you get to your opponent you'll shoot past thousands of miles away.

That seems like it would neatly explain why it's not a common tactic while still allowing for the one in a billion chance where somebody pulls it off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Van Dis posted:

Have you ever seen star wars

Yeah when they jump to lightspeed there's a bit of time where you see the stars stretching out before they reach lightspeed. It's only like a second, but if you're moving so fast that the stars are stretching out then presumably you are moving a very long distance in that time since your perspective on the location of the stars is changing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Van Dis posted:

Do you think Holdo's ship was moving at lightspeed

I don't know who that is. I thought we were talking about a ship ramming another ship at lightspeed. That happens in one of the Star Wars movies, right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

jivjov posted:

This gets addressed as the book goes on

"We believe in nothing, LebowskiJedi!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My second Star Wars novel also wasn't a novel. Canto Bight is four novellas about the Super Las Vegas city of Canto Bight.

Rules of the Game by Saladin Ahmed
A naive salesman wins a trip to Canto Bight and is taken advantage of before ending up entangled in the plot of a master assasin
This was OK. I think it would've worked better as a novel. The character turns when the salesman is like, "oh yeah salesmen lie all the time, they're lying to me, I know how to lie back" isn't developed to at all, it's just like a switch that gets flipped. Same with the assassins change of heart. The author throws like a dozen reasons at you for it but none of them really justify the master assassin deciding to gently caress up his job and make enemies of his crime syndicate to save the life of this rube. If the two had been palling around for longer, got into some antics together, had time to build a relationship and rub off on each other, it would've worked way better. As is, its kinda ehh

The Wine in Dreams by Rae Carson
The galaxy's greatest sommelier tries to buy a bottle of wine that may be from another universe. Pretty bad. I don't want to judge Star Wars writers as a group. But I get the vibe that on average they are more likely to enjoy a rare Funk Pop than the finer luxuries of life like expensive wine. This whole story is built around descriptions of glamor and luxury and high flying rich people, and they all fall flat. And it's time to actually describe the taste of this amazing wine, the best they can come up with is basically "It's like every kind of wine at once". So people are willing to pay a king's ransom for what is essentially a wine suicide.

Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing by Mira Grant
A masseuse with a past tries to avoid becoming a spy for the mob, but is forced to break out his old skills when a mob boss kidnaps his daughter. Strongest story of the collection. A good standard pulp story with a sci-fi Star Wars skin over it. If they do a whole novel about the masseuse on some kind of adventure, I'd buy it.

The Ride by John Jackson Miller
When a professional gambler has to win 800,000 dollars in one night to save his life, he falls in with three weird frog men who throw everything he knows out the window and teach him the true meaning of gambling. This one was fun. Very silly without going into monkeycheese territory, fairly light characters, just a bit of fun.

So overall I'd say Canto Bight is alright. Only one of the stories is a total dud, the other three kept me reasonably entertained all the way through. 2 and a half stars

But there's one more thing. I haven't seen most of the new Star Wars movies, so I didn't know what these characters look like. But the book thoughtfully provides pictures. They're in the middle of the book, a little bit into the third story. So it was only after I had finished reading the second story that I discovered that the galaxy's greatest sommelier had a giant moist anus for a mouth

So I might be overly harsh on the second story. If I had known all along that Derla Pidys, sommelier to the stars, had a giant anus glistening anus in the middle of her face, I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Where's the Derla Pidys action figure, Hasbro?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My third Star Wars books was Scum and Villainy. Once again, not a novel. I'm three books in and none of them have been novels. Scum and Villainy is notes from three generations of Star Wars cops, from the Prequel era, the original trilogy era, and the sequel era.

I'm not sure if it's intentionally ACAB, but it does come across a bit like that. The prequel era guy just flat out says what races they racially profile(Hutts, Pykes, anyone with tattoos) and the OT era cop basically presents the problem with the Empire from a law perspective is that they relied on bounty hunters too much.

The prequel era was by far the most entertaining, I would definitely read a sci-fi noir novel set on the streets of Corscant in that era. The OT era was basically just "hey kids remember all the Bounty Hunters from Star Wars 2". The sequel era part was kinda neat. It explained that as an overreaction to the Empire, the New Republic devolved a ton of power and authority to individual star systems and planets. Which resulted in making the galaxy basically ungovernable. That's a good take, and I think opens up room for more interesting stories in that time period.

Scum and Villainy was alright. Mainly an art book with a few bits of good world building. Check it out or don't. Whatever, I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

jivjov posted:

A hyper radicalized group of malcontents who are being manipulated by their leader for his own selfish ends? Didn't realize they were literally just Republicans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyI4SwvpZWA