Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
along those lines, i've heard the new disney eu prevents people from using or mentioning bothans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

that's what no one is sure about! from memory, they even removed them as an alien species from one of the rpg sourcebooks when they were reprinted. it's like they want to keep the term 'bothan spies' ambiguous as to whether it's an alien species or a special alliance spy network.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
star wars isn't popular at all in china. i'm fairly sure this 'star wars' novel is going to be, shall we say, Chinese fiction with star wars characteristics. if they're not planning on translating it, that means it's probably basically a weird cultivation novel with lightsabers instead of swords which would alienate western audiences. someone's already translating it on reddit. it reads about how you expect.

quote:

The Quarren was stunned. “… This is worthy of the Jedis’ famed omnipotence, the final link in the chain of evidence is here! As long as you submit this dossier to the Senate in the name of the Jedi Order, it should be enough to merit acceptance. Jamie Brasen’s evil rule ends here!”

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Drone posted:

I started Light of the Jedi last night for about 45 minutes before bed as my first new canon book since Tarkin, and so far I'm really not impressed.

Dude's writing straight-up reminds me of a David Weber parody at times. Admittedly, it's way worse in the introduction chapter with the passenger freighter that goes boom and gets a bit better over time. But I'm gonna stick with it.

The whole "we're all the Republic" thing is a bit weird to me and feels really ideologically out-of-place in Star Wars, but hey it's supposed to be a new era where everything is different, so I'll give it a chance.

gave that book a cursory skim and, yeah, that writing is not great

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

OhFunny posted:

Light of the Jedi is also a much easier read than Aftermath. Which I didn't get very far into. The writing style there was just. Don't know the right word. It was difficult.

terrible
ghastly
horrible
agonizing
excruciating
disgraceful
herky-jerky

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Chairman Capone posted:

I have the ebook copy of what says is the third edition from 2008, but I haven't read it in a while. I remember it being an interesting look at the movies, especially the discarded ideas and influences, but very dismissive of the EU. I think the section on Young Indiana Jones is about as long as his section on the EU.

Back when the Disney buyout happened the author was still around and said that once the sequel trilogy was over, he was going to write a sequel book that would basically cover everything at Lucasfilm after the release of Episode III. I think he vanished from online even before TFA came out.

Disney killed that book idea and then he started posting his stuff about the ST production on a blog and they killed that too

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Moose King posted:

Another Obi-wan thing from the book: Palpatine's manipulation of Anakin includes planting the suspicion that there's something going on behind his back between Padme and Obi-wan. So when Padme shows up on Mustafar at the end, with Obi-wan, it's just a punch to the gut of a betrayal for Anakin. That book is so good.

this was actually a scene that was cut from the film, if i remember right.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The thing about Holdo is that it was her turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
stop trying to make qi'ra happen