Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Corran Horn is a [...] goddamn [bad character]

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-Section posted:

I thiiiink the only place he gets any significant characterization is the novella included with the X-Wing game and strategy guide. The actual player in-game is a blank slate archetype with no dialogue.

I'm pretty sure future works retconned (or outright ignored) him being Force Sensitive, and nuCanon changed it so a Alderaan survivor named Evaan Verlaine flew that surviving Y-Wing.

NuCanon can get hosed, Keyan Farlander was at Yavin. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I kinda want to read that, what happens?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Traviss/Denning spat started in Legacy of the Force. Denning is very big on Jedi and Traviss was very not big on Jedi and was more or less the main writer for Mando content at the time. Legacy and Fate were both written round robin by trios of authors and they had almost no planning on what each author would do. Traviss would denigrate Jedi and Denning in turn tried to kill off Traviss's characters in his books, to the point where he had Mandalore virus bombed to specifically kill any living being with a hint of Jango Fett DNA.

Traviss did not get on well with fans and coined the term "Talifans" to refer to her detractors, so for a while there was a big flame war on the Jedi Council Forums until Traviss quit posting there. Around the same time that all this was happening season 2 of Clone Wars happened and rewrote a lot of Mandalorian canon, at the time basically nullifying all of Traviss's plotlines in her standalone Republic Commando novels. After Legacy of the Force ended she had one more novel out called Imperial Commando and then she quit writing for star wars as everything she was working on got canceled.

Fate of the Jedi kept going for a while before the Legends label was created and Denning continued to take potshots at Traviss's writing by turning Mandalorians into glorified stormtrooper thugs for his pet Jedi characters to beat up. And that's where the mortal kombat fatality happened.

The whole thing was very stupid and very embarrassing and I haven't read anything from either author since because of it. Traviss does not take criticism well and I will never forgive Denning for writing sexual assault against a teenager into a loving Star Wars novel.

I don't really have any love for Denning and I'm pretty ambivalent on the Jedi, but Traviss's incessant Mandalorian fellatio got real old real fast; seeing her get dunked on puts a smile on my face no matter who's doing it.

What was this teenage sexual assault thing? That's pretty messed up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I dunno, on the whole I liked the NJO. My EU headcanon timeline ends with that, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was at Barnes & Noble and saw two Halo books right next to each other, one by Traviss and one by Denning. I had a bit of a giggle.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of Halo books, wasn’t there a Forerunner trilogy or something? Was that worthwhile?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VaultAggie posted:

Which is a shame, because the early Halo names were awesome. Pillar of Autumn, Truth and Reconciliation, Foward unto Dawn, Arbiter, etc.

Really? I always thought those names (Arbiter aside) were somehow simultaneously dumb, clunky, and pretentious, as if the shipbuilder was just a bit too far up their own rear end. And the Covenant using the same nonsense-words naming scheme that the humans did made me roll my eyes even harder. Like if *only* the Covenant did it I could almost get behind it, but having both factions just string words together and call it a ship name felt bizarre.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean the human ships started out being named reasonably after locations etc. then they just started going wild with the full phrases
Pillar of Autumn is the very first ship we see in the series, it was always dumb names.

General Battuta posted:

To the contrary it owns.
Actually after much quiet reflection you'll find that it's stupid and dumb. :colbert:

Jazerus posted:

pillar of autumn/truth and reconciliation are great names and they aren't at all alike. one conveys a very napoleonic militarism while the other implies either religious fundamentalism (which turned out to be the case) or, much more interestingly, a post-revolutionary society. i won't pretend that all of the later ship names are as good, but they do tend to keep to their themes based on which society built them.
We'll have to agree to disagree, they both sound like gibberish abstract words strung together into a little phrase. Like I was trying to come up with similar gibberish ship names and my brain just wouldn't let me, as if there was a mental block that said "This is gibberish, stop it". But I think I can power through it and come up with some Halo ship name contenders.

"Emancipation Of Silence"

"Beginning Through Fate"

"Eagerness With Strife"

"Benevolence And Hardship"

I could probably do this all day.

Edit--

"Questions Upon Mirth"

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 25, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jazerus posted:

the problem with the names you made up, and similarly the actual names that the later halo writers created, is that they follow the form of "truth and reconciliation" without understanding it. the other covenant ships shouldn't be "virtue x and virtue y" because that was not actually the process used to create the name "truth and reconciliation". i guess when they decided the covenant were religious fanatics they kind of made it hard to extend the implicit theme of post-revolution justice since the revolution didn't actually happen until the end of halo 3
Joke’s on you, all the names I made up are UNSC names. Or are they??

Carteret posted:

Next you are going to tell me the Culture names are bad. :colbert:

I don’t know what the Culture is :saddowns:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ScottyJSno posted:

Culture novels and short stories by Iain M. Banks. Good stuff check em out.

"The machine intelligences called Minds (and, as a consequence, the Culture starships that they inhabit) usually bear names that do a little more than just identify them. The Minds choose their own names, and thus they usually express something about a particular Mind's attitude, character or aims in their personal life. Warship names are similar in retaining the whimsical nature, though the humour tends to be more cynical and threatening."

Samples

Irregular Apocalypse
No More Mr Nice Guy
Nervous Energy
Trade Surplus
Little Rascal
So Much For Subtlety
Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence
Of Course I Still Love You
Gunboat Diplomat
Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The
I Blame Your Mother

Oh, so like racehorse names.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Did you ever play the original Outpost? It's buggy as hell but it's entirely about building a functioning colony. Though also really difficult and there's no ability to win or even end the game outside of eventually dying, as the game was rushed so the promised endgame conditions weren't implemented.

I do remember being really upset that Outpost 3 was promised but never ended up being made. Same with Space Quest VII.

I played the poo poo out of the original Outpost, it had two endgame conditions and I remember them both being present in the version I played. You could exhaust the tech tree in one of two ways - either researching terraforming and making an atmosphere for your planet, or researching rocketry and launching a new colony ship.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VaultAggie posted:

Speaking of Star Wars book, when do the High Republic books come out? I’ll need something to tide me over since Mando finished.

Also, cheers to everyone for the Farlander responses. I opened up Star Wars Squadrons for Christmas and one of the name randomized options was Kenyan Farlander.

The randomized choices also include Maarek Stele (player character from TIE Fighter) and Ace Azzameen (player character from X-wing Alliance).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NinjaPete posted:

This is a bit off topic, but I figured people here might be interested. I am running a Star Wars Choose Your Own Adventure game on the forums. Right now people are voting for what Era/Tone the game is going to be. I invite everyone to come read/vote!
Tone: Grimdark/buckets of blood
Era: 6,000,000 years BBY

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I considered making that very joke when I posted. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I read the Legacy comic a long time ago (and actually really liked it, at the time anyway), and so I had a passing familiarity with the Fel Empire. What I did not know, until I went poking around just now, was that Baron Soontir Fel was married to... Wedge Antilles' sister.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but come on.
I actually had no problem with that when it came up in the Rogue Squadron comic, it made for an interesting dynamic because Wedge and Fel couldn’t kill each other without screwing up their relationship with someone important to them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kemper Boyd posted:

If Disney had some courage, they could declare that podracing is no longer canon.
Whoa hey let's not say things we can't take back.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked the YVH droids, I’ve got an action figure of one. :kiddo:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The ones that looked like literal Terminator endoskeletons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bring back Mara Jade as an Emperor’s Hand/Jedi assassin, no Luke needed. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

thrawn527 posted:

Oh like during the reign of the Empire? Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. That would work perfectly.

At some point, people would probably want her to be a hero, though. Then you could do the post Empire animated TV show thing I was talking about.

Even post-Empire, you could have her as a part of Operation Cinder murdering the poo poo out of, well, just about anybody.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

T___A posted:

Also Sorch briefly appears in the latest episode of the Bad Batch.
Is he voiced by the same dude from the game?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nope. Raphael didn't voice him, sadly.

That’s hosed up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-Section posted:

Tbf he wasn't voiced at all, it was a very quick (but significant!) cameo

Still hosed up :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

thrawn527 posted:

loving THANK YOU. I was wondering why this whole thing was making me think of Alien but the Zahn books didn't. It was driving me more than a little crazy.

You should always be thinking about Aliens. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arc Hammer posted:

Any expected outrage over Slave 1 being renamed the Firespray?

Is this true?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Treating that series of books as canon is really silly, since in the first one alone it contradicts itself a couple of times. Every author got complete freedom to just make poo poo up because it's all unreliably narrated. The contradictions were inevitable with them getting 40 stories out of what we saw on-screen. There's only so much you can do there. Also I'm pretty sure the statement that it's "canon" is stretching the concept to appease nerds. It sure is a book that Disney published, but that doesn't mean they give a poo poo about it being consistent.
One could approach it similarly to how the Warhammer 40K canon is handled: “everything is canon, not everything is true.”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

New continuity has Mon Mothma get rid of most of the military right after Endor. Which is stupid as gently caress.

Narratively, ending the Star Wars one year after Endor in a franchise called Star Wars was stupid as gently caress and painted the EU into a ridiculous corner.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-Section posted:

In the end I’m less down on the Battle of Jakku than others because it ended up getting some pretty sick depictions in Aftermath, Lost Stars, and Alphabet Squadron (among other works)

Not even the timeline aspect bothers me that much since Aftermath and Alphabet (and Squadrons, come to think of it) do a pretty good job of highlighting the complete and utter splintering of the Imperial military post-ROTJ.
One of my other complaints with the NuEU is how everything feels too tightly knit; the old EU took the shotgun approach and had a ton of disconnected plots and planets and ships and characters who were only tangentially related to each other because Han/Luke/Leia ended up encountering them. It made the Galaxy seem bigger, with more varied stuff in it (especially the old West End Games stuff, which was all over the place). Only once there was, like, decades of EU built up did things start to cross over or get mentioned across multiple stories in order to remind readers that it was one big galaxy, and it culminated with the NJO acting like a victory lap for the whole thing.

In the NuEU, you’ve got Rebels cribbing a ton of stuff from Clone Wars, The Mandalorian cribbing a ton of stuff from Rebels, Hera Syndulla shows up in literally everything, Alphabet Squadron gets mentioned in everything, the High Republic has distant ancestors of OT-era EU characters, which has ancestors of sequel trilogy era characters, newly-invented Imperial Light Cruisers show up in Rebels, Squadrons, and the Mandalorian, and it’s all so interconnected that it just feels too small and constrained. I don’t need every new book to be littered with references to other contemporary books/videogames that are otherwise narratively disconnected.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 26, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-Section posted:

(though I really don't get the Arquitens criticism given the mass-produced nature of the Imperial Navy in both canons).
It’s just really convenient that instead of resurrecting any of the myriad Legends ships and scattering them around to give some kind of variety like the old EU had, they just made one type of new ship and put it literally everywhere. It’s just another example of the “small galaxy” problem.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hey I’m talking Star Wars books on a discord server and I remembered the Bounty Hunter Wars betrayal flow chart, can someone do me a solid and hook me up?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Edit— beaten!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think the best part of that chart is that I genuinely do not know how to read it. Like, what do red Xs mean? What does the direction of the arrow mean? Does it matter?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

fartknocker posted:

I believe the X’s are all people who died.

Like, at all? Because I’m pretty sure Xizor wasn’t killed in the Bounty Hunter Wars, unless the trilogy overlaps Shadows of the Empire.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

Technically his plotting in the trilogy ends up getting him killed in Shadows of the Empire. I really need to reread those in order to see if they kind of make sense together or not at all.

I thought Xizor getting himself killed in Shadows was pretty self contained, no other backstory required. :confused:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Shame Boy posted:

Holy poo poo they actually killed Mara Jade didn't they?

That’s not canon and never was, and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong and also a bad person :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Like I said, not canon, never was

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rochallor posted:

Around the time of Rise of Skywalker, somebody made the (salient) point on Twitter that canon doesn't actually matter except to IP holders, and that you can hold whatever set of stories you want as the important ones.
This is the correct way to view canon. Canon is a useless non-concept that's only (marginally) useful for the storytellers, and not helpful to the consumer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was hoping at least one of the swoops would use the design from the Kenner Shadows of the Empire toy line. Oh well, maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Robot Style posted:

It's hard to tell in the movie, but the Shadows of the Empire swoop was actually first designed for the Star Wars Special Edition.

Hah, that’s awesome.