Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VaultAggie posted:

One question I had about the old EU was what story was Keyan Farlander part of? I remember seeing him pop up from time to time in the NJO, as a Jedi and a General, and everyone seemed to know him and like him. He seemed like an important side character and someone who had been the star of a book or series, but I don’t remember reading about him.

He was the main character of the X-Wing flight sim game, and kept getting referenced by various authors after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
One of my favorite Culture ship names is I SAID I'VE GOT A BIG STICK. The formatting is important.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mods please change my name to Jimmy Scrambles thank you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rochallor posted:

I think you'll find that the prequel era Jedi have completely lost the plot when it comes to the Force and it's badly written!

I've never been sure how much of that is Lucas' intent for the prequels and how much is other authors taking a childish black-and-white morality play and giving it some depth, and Lucas grabbing onto it like it was his idea all along.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's a script. Script directions are always out of character and their purpose is not to maintain verisimilitude to the reader but to the eventual listener/viewer. I don't see that as unforgivable.

EDIT: Paul is the Aqualish, the Aqualish is dead.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 3, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Humerus posted:

Here's something interesting though, the Wikipedia page for The High Republic says it's 800 years after the fall of the Old Republic. Is this mentioned in an actual SW novel or is this from a press release or what? Because that actually makes some things interesting, like if this Republic isn't that old it stands to reason why the Chancellor is trying to unite everyone. I had been considering the Republic as thousands of years old at this point but I guess it's not? Would love to see that explored. Also explains why there was an aside of Coruscant having once been the center of an empire - maybe between the Old Republic and the High Republic?

If this was the old Legends continuity, I'd think this referred to the Rusaan Reformations, which used to be the explanation for the difference between Obi-Wan's line in the first movie about the Jedi being the guardians of the Republic for "a thousand generations" and Palpatine saying that the Republic has stood for"a thousand years". Different governmental structures, like how France went from the Fourth Republic to the Fifth Republic in 1958 when they changed how things were run.

So I bet it's something like that, but it hasn't been fleshed out yet.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 26, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Any particular reason Droids got left off, or should it be expected to appear later?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

surf rock posted:

Here's a question: when you think of Corellia, what real-life countries and cultures do you picture? Personally, I had always pictured it as a mixture of Italy and Australia, but a friend mentioned that his mental image of Corellian culture was the American old west.

I've seen it referred to as Space Texas due to its steady export of space cowboys and constant EU yelling about independence.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I still wish we'd gotten the Dark Force Rising and Last Command annotated editions, but oh well.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Yeah theyre not actually changing the name, just using the model name instead or calling it "Boba Fett's Starship". I've seen lots of chud meltdowns about "political correctness gone mad" or whatever.

They just call Luke's ship his X-Wing, it doesn't have its own name. And "Firespray-class patrol craft" was always a just plain cooler name than "Slave I", which came across as tryhard grim-sinister.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jazerus posted:

snoke is a clone of plagueis, why would he have three eyes

Because he was a hosed-up clone, because Sheevy and Plagueis had hosed up genetics from freebasing ULTIMATE POWAH for decades. Same reason Triclops would have.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I don't remember which thread I've said this in before, but I like the TCW depiction of the Mandalorians as a peaceful majority trying to move past their violent history and traditions and just coexist happily with the wider galaxy, and then Death Watch and everything happens and all these folks who should have been able to live out their lives get caught up in unending war again and everything they built crumbles to dust and ash, just because a tiny minority of douchebags couldn't stand not to be known as the galaxy's biggest dicks.

It really is a microcosm of what the Republic could have been, and the potential that was lost. A tragedy within a tragedy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I haven't read them but I recall some discussion of a part where Lando finds out that the cargo he's carrying happens to be highly toxic to the biology of the planet where he was hoping to sell it, so he's not allowed to unload it there. So instead he dumps it into the planet's ecosystem because gently caress your regulations, statists.

That's hearsay of course, so if I am misremembering or whatever then I defer to people who have actually read the books.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Shame Boy posted:

“Wait the name Abeloth sounds familiar” *checks wookiepedia* OH NO ITS THAT ABELOTH!

Back in 2014-15 I had started playing the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG and long story short we ended up with super OP Jedi characters and one of the players had gone full on with the mind trick/illusion power and I distinctly remember there was an argument about how one of the upgrades said you could increase the amount of people your powers worked on from 1 to 2 and not a whole crowd like he wanted to do in the moment.

The DM was constantly saying no to all the stupid crazy bullshit that guy wanted to do and one of them was his request to fly our ship into the maw so he could go apprentice under Abeloth in the force.

I don’t even know her full deal as it applies to the Fate of the Jedi but I IMMEDIATELY am becoming very wary that the bullshit is about to start in this story.

Definite :fuckoff: moment at my table. Yeesh.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Casimir Radon posted:

Wedge and Hobbie are in an episode of Rebels where Sabine helps them defect from Tie pilot training.

Let me tell you how annoyed I was when they got Lawson to come back for TROS and he was in it for 5 seconds.

Best 5 seconds of that movie, though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Anshu posted:

And of course, there is this:

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker, forever.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Son of a gently caress.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s not in the book but according to Wookiepedia there’s some RPG supplement that implies rape and incest.

I shouldn't have, but I tracked it down. It's from a defunct thing on starwars.com (found it on archive.org) that used to have where they'd explore what is known about some in-universe topic and then make up some more stuff to add to it. That one is part of a series of articles on Imperial warlords, and it was written by Abel Peña and Daniel Wallace, both of whom are primarily background reference and rpg book collaborating writers that Lucasfilm used to hire occasionally before the Disney buyout, and a little after.

Why they thought that was a good idea to put in Star Wars I have no clue, other than stupid edgy "look how eeeeevil this guy is!" grossness.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Teek posted:

Is it Billy Dee or Glover who has six fingered hands?

You're thinking of Christopher Guest?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, the Ahsoka show feels like it's Dave Filoni deciding "what if I took a cornerstone of the old EU... and rewrote it to star my own characters?" I'm sure I'll watch it but I'm not feeling super invested.

It's funny, in the 1990s I just always assumed that Palpatine's first name was Cos. I don't know where that came from (I think there was a character named Cos in one of the early Star Wars drafts), but that was just a really common fan belief at the time. Cos Palpatine. Edit: actually, I think Luceno even indirectly alludes to this in the Plagueis novel with Cosinga Palpatine being his dad and the implication that Palpatine was named after him.

Dan Wallace has said that back in 1999, Episode I tie-in materials almost established Palpatine's first name as Ethril. Not sure if that's better or worse than Sheev. Kind of sounds like a stereotypical old grandma name to me.

"Cos Dashit" was the name used by Lucas in an earlier draft of Star Wars for the character that became Emperor Palpatine. You can see it used in the comic adaptation of that script, "The Star Wars".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm one of the suckers who would have liked to do it if I had the money, so it's a little sad that they couldn't make it work.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Which is the one where Jedi Corran goes up against I think Tycho Celchu in the simulator and gets schooled on why the Force can only do so much for you and at some point skill matters?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MadDogMike posted:

That was "I, Jedi", and it was real world (he was undercover as a pirate when Rogue Squadron attacked said pirates). The book made it very clear he had to work hard for his survival, yeah, I think he at least partly won (i.e. survived) because he knew how the Rogues flew if memory serves.

Ah, thank you. I've been intending to pick that one up for a while just because of how it's supposed to poo poo on KJA's trilogy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Looking at the Legends mentions of Wild Space on Wookieepedia, the earliest thing on the list is a short story by Timothy Zahn published in a d6 RPG supplement called "Adventure Journal 11" dating to 1996. It doesn't seem to be used there (in the first bit of the story) in the way that it would later be used, but Zahn probably coined it so far as Star Wars is concerned. It's where he placed the Empire of the Hand in the Specter/Vision duology, so of the old EU authors I suspect he made the most use of it too. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

The supplement is archived here: http://d6holocron.com/downloads/books/WEG41011.pdf

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 16, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And I just discovered that Adventure Journal 11 also contains a short story by one Pablo Hidalgo, featuring a Squib droid merchant in Mos Eisley named Mace Windu.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arquinsiel posted:

A friend of mine who was an academic in the field of media studies for a while and did a lot of sentiment analysis on writings etc is 100% convinced that Card is gay and his conservative shift is him failing to reconcile society's view on his sexuality with his faith's view on it. She's used her own pre-transition writings as a control for someone in denial too which is some :gbsmith: poo poo.

Most of the time the "homophobes must be secretly gay" thing is wrong and bad, but there are some cases where the signs are blindingly obvious. Card is one of them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dawgstar posted:

Adventure Journals was a wonderful concept that we shall not see the like of again but yeah, it was also a real grab bag with some people who thought they were going to make their MARK ON STAR WARS in between write ups of different tramp freighters and a scenario for the original miniatures game.

Some of those people did. I ran across one from 1996 recently that featured a story written by one Pablo Hidalgo, starring a Squib named Mace Windu.

EDIT: Wait, I posted this like two weeks ago, I thought that was in a different thread. Oh well.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Mace Windu was a name in an early version of the Star Wars script that Lucas later reused for the prequels, same with Utapau (which itself was almost used for Naboo). Hence also Mace Towani in the Ewoks TV movies.

Yeah I know it had been floating around and was up for grabs before it got used for the canon guy. I just thought it was funny.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always liked that and why i never minded the ending of rogue one. the movie makes it clear that vader and leia both know that the empire caught them red handed but leia is basically trying to bullshit as long as possible to buy time for the plans to get to the rebels. the movie just makes it more explicit.

Yeah people complained about that but I absolutely love how brazen it makes Leia.

"I don't respect or fear you enough to bother making up a plausible lie, but you have to deal with me anyway. What the gently caress are you going to do about it, rattletrap?"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody was really opposed to Fett being an actual crime lord. Lucas was never a fan of that sort of thing. He didn't even like smugglers being referred to as criminals according to the West End Games folks.

He'd changed his mind at some point before KJA was writing bad trilogies:

https://www.tumblr.com/quendergeer/720270768101048320/pagannerd52-prokopetz-alexanderrm

quote:

So The Husband and I were at Sci-fi Weekender (a British based annual Sci-fi and Fantasy convention) last year, and one of the guests that year was Kevin J Anderson, one of the very notable Star Wars Expanded Universe writers. During one of the events, a quiet little interview in a cafe on the event site, he fielded a question from an audience member about what it was like to write for a franchise like Star Wars which often had lots of cooks working on one broth, and he had the following to say (wording recounted as best as I can from memory):

“So in one of my stories, Han Solo, he, he travels to this asteroid planet called Kessel, which is where a lot of Spice comes from, these Spice Mines of Kessel, and I got to really describe the effects of this Spice, this terrible drug and the addiction and all this and before publication I get this call, I get this call from the lawyers, and they say “Kevin, you say in this story that Spice is a drug, you can’t say that, you can’t say that Spice is a drug”, and I say “What? What do you mean it’s not a drug, of course it’s a drug”, and they say “Han Solo used to smuggle Spice, and you cannot, let us be clear, you cannot imply that the Hero of Star Wars used to be a drug dealer”.

And I just stood there, at a loss for words, and I eventually said “So what is it then?” and they said to me, very sternly, “It’s a food-additive”. Now, now obviously this is ridiculous, and I won’t back down, and they won’t back down, and none of us will back down, and the book is very close to getting pulled, which I don’t want because I worked hard on it and they don’t want because they already paid me the advance, and eventually, with this great air of superiority they say “OK Kevin, we’ll take this to the top. WE’LL TAKE THIS TO GEORGE”.

And they go to all this trouble, this was a long while ago when such things were not so easy to arrange, they go to all this trouble to set up a conference call with all of them and me and with George Lucas and they say “George, Kevin is trying to say in his new book that Spice is a drug, it’s a food additive, tell him it’s not a drug, George”. And there’s this long silence on the other end of the line and eventually George says “It is a drug, though. It’s, it’s a drug, it’s a food-additive? What? Of course it a drug, it’s space heroin, what else would it be? What?”

And that was then end of that.“

(line breaks added by me for readibility)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Old Republic has a weird split where the smuggler storyline is on the side of the Republic while the bounty hunter storyline is on the side of the Sith, which always struck me as somewhat backwards. I partially blame Zahn for setting the precedent for this, but smugglers in Star Wars don't really do as much smuggling as you'd think, they're more like independent couriers or freelance space truckers.

I doubt the thinking was more sophisticated that "Han Solo is a good guy, so people who want to play characters like that will be playing good guys and will therefore be on the side of the Republic."

And the inverse for bounty hunters, Boba Fett worked for the Empire so PC bounty hunters will also work for the Empire.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The little droid repair guy is pretty cute. And I like that we got Wedge again, although he could have been used better.

Adam Driver played the face turn really well, but that's to his credit and his alone.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I really hope they figure out how to wrangle that Rogue Squadron movie back into existence.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Her nickname is "Iceheart", right? I took that as a cue that her name is pronounced "AYE-sard" since it was closer.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
On the other hand: when the old Star Wars CCG released a card featuring Corran Horn, guess who posed for the art?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Wallace Shawn as Zsinj. Exaggerated and overblown when acting like a clown, and in "My Dinner With Andre" mode when not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It occurs to me that at least two of the most prominent Sad Puppies from the Hugo debacle a few years back are Mormons.