Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The people I'd potentially be playing this with don't play on PC and don't have beta access. Is there a way I'm missing to not touch the pubstove and play solo? I quickly ran through the options this morning but it seemed like even setting games to Closed still plunks you in with randoms from PSN or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Blankspace posted:

Is there going to be a thing where you buy booster packs with Robux and there's a really extravagant animation of you opening them or something?

In a much earlier closed beta conversation with the devs they were quite adamant about cards just being things in the game and not a paid deal. Going whole hog p2w is still taboo outside of mobile after the whole Shadow of War/Battlefront 2 thing happened. It's easier to avoid that and just sell cosmetics.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I think this game could be good, but it 100% seems like the kind of the game to never play with randoms. Getting to the safe room for the other three people to just run out and go back through the entire level to try to find loot is just exhausting to sit through.

Watching streams that seems to be the thing. I respect GTFO and I'm glad it exists, but I will 100% never play it. All I wanted was L4D with some dumb progression to keep coming back and this looks like more of a sweaty-on-the-mics game the way Vermintide 2 is.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

How much of the game winds up being the RPG stat guns?

We'll wind up playing this because Gamepass, but from what's been said here so far (and it looks like nothing changed from the beta) I doubt it'll dethrone WWZ as our horde shooter of choice. A game where a zombie doesn't kill you but 500 zombies do hits in a way others don't and that thing has just enough tactics, with maybe a little bit too much RPG, to make it fun without making it GTFO levels of tryhard. Shame about Fireteam not being crossplay, because that sounds like a good co-op time.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Frog Act posted:

It loving sucks that nobody is making cooperative games like L4D2 that don't assume you have five friends to play with on discord all the time.

This. I generally just have one other person to play with, so we're pretty hard capped on progression in most games. Sounds like easy will be a challenge in b4b, and after completion we'll uninstall. Given recent co-op experiences it feels like everyone else in the world is asking for more GTFO and less l4d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

After a period of troubleshooting where we eventually found that both of us needed to turn on private games, in a side menu you have to go looking for, we were able to get started. First game was on veteran, where like six specials spawned before we made it out of the house. Switched to recruit, and everything was a cakewalk. Bonus points for the first boss, who I managed to get stuck on top of the bridge.

The difficulty stuff I already knew about, and the game resisting your attempts to get out of the pubstove was expected from the beta, but I didn't realize how just... bland and unfun everything is. ADS feels like it takes a week to come up. There's so few zombies that it feels like a 3:1 zombie-to-special ratio. Every environment is blocked in so it feels like constant tiny corridors. The difficulty popups, the process of getting into a game, the post-round stuff, the constant holding <key> to skip, the cards, the decks... everything takes so long. I don't even know what copper is used for, but since you lose it all when you leave game I hope it's not for permanent upgrades in camp. It feels a lot like the team thought their card stuff was so good that it could carry everything else in the game.

It's the kind of bland zombie shooter I would have expected from World War Z or Killing Floor or some other reduced-price offering. We turned it off and went to play WWZ more after three levels. God bless Gamepass.