Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No Hope can also randomly gently caress you with a bad boss for a bad spot since you will always get a boss and sometimes you'll get a Hag immediately after the cornfield which can trap you in the cornfield or a Breaker in some tight area with no room to even try to avoid its jumps but with the right decks, enough teamwork, and some burn cards to spare it wasn't all that bad. Even Act 3 it was only really the start that especially sucked and it seems pipe bombs didn't work at all when you're crossing the lake on the pulley boat? It was weird.

Tallboys, and especially bruisers with their huge health pool, were more dangerous than bosses most of the time

Though if Saferoom Recovery didn't stack now (28 trauma per saferoom, not hives, if everyone has it is huge) I don't think it would be viable at all unless you could spare 2 or 3 Urgent Cares in every level and every time you wiped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

We finally beat act 1 on nightmare (got lucky with pubbies). Still annoyed that tall boys can hit me around blind corners. Still laughing that punching NPCs causes no reaction except for a massive spurt of blood.

I've played a bit of Nightmare with all bots and while I'm not going to say its easier than with people for a bunch of reasons - I've also only really done Act 1 so there's still levels like The Armory, Body Dump, and T5 to get through - but one thing that I can't help but notice is that the bots just aren't taking much damage. Like they'll get directly hit by a retch, walk through the goo, and come out fine. Stand next to an exploder and take no damage when it goes off. Get pinned by a hocker for 5 seconds and lose a sliver of health. They'll hang about surrounded by zombies but barely get scratched. The only thing that seems to consistently damage them is breakers, ogres, and me because they walked in front of my sights again.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

https://twitter.com/back4blood/status/1542916054086815744?t=xmM9MOWgnFu6B9zzPlseGA&s=19

https://twitter.com/back4blood/status/1542191291467014145?t=cissRYI5cc5xyFzGHU_TYQ&s=19

Couple new accessories being teased, presumably for the next update/dlc. They look interesting but I'd have to see them in action. At first blush they don't really sound better than the existing ones, at least for pve. I can see some use in pvp though

I hope they introduce a burn card that allows you to cancel one of the corruption cards, so I can never play with cost of avarice again. Even with the recent changes it's such a bad, lovely card, on a completely different level than any other complaint I have with the game.

Some speculation that's been thrown about the group I play with is that the bear traps at least are going to be an off-set to some kind of barbed wire nerf. Something like giving barbed wire HP so it falls apart once it does a cumulative X damage or that all special zombies won't be affected by it instead of only tallboys. And hopefully the bear traps only trigger on specials.

Smoke bombs seem weird because the only non-specific use I can think for them is getting by the snitchers that go off automatically if they die. And even with those it would only really be for if you have a No Alarms secondary since killing one and then hunkering down for a moment isn't too difficult.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It'll be interesting to see if human enemies with ranged weapons will actually be fun to fight in a game that has basically been guns against melee. I hope so!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I believe a sleeper horde does not violate the "dont set off alarms" secondary objective...someone correct if I'm wrong

It does not, nor does a reeker goo horde.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you mostly play offline then the big problem with the new DLC is that the part that lets you unlock the new cards and skins doesn't work in offline mode. A duffel bag spawns in almost every level of the new act but if you're offline they just don't show up. Don't know if that's a bug or what yet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The firing range has only grey weapons and a weird selection of weapon mods and honesty isn’t a good thing to use in general. You can’t even see what impact cards have.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ravenous is a really bad effect, in the “what were they thinking” way. Avarice at least has a material benefit at the end of it and there are a few levels where it can actually be really good to get it. But with Ravenous there can be entire sections of levels where food just doesn’t spawn and if there’s ever a part that requires holding out while X happens well enjoy your completely unavoidable damage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of Act 5 seems specifically designed to disrupt a lot of the more usual tactics. Among other things I’ve noticed: more spawn points you can’t block because they’re behind barriers, no hold outs you can cheese by ferrying multiple stacks of barbed wire from the start, a more open design to minimize zombie bottle necks players can use, and when there are right corridors or rooms they’re pretty small which makes them dangerous to use as a bunker if specials come knocking.

It’s the good kind of difficulty.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I haven't played this game in awhile, but food is a thing now? I don't remember that...

It was added to the in the most recent patch. Normally it just adds small bonuses for the rest of the level (gain 5% accuracy, regain 0.1 health per second, that kind of thing) but there’s also a new corruption card called Ravenous. When you get that if you don’t stuff your face with something every 30 seconds you earn a stack of Hunger. If you eat something you either remove a stack of Hunger or, if you have no Hunger stacks, gain a stack of Well Fed.

If you have a stack of Hunger every 15 seconds you take 1 trauma damage per stack. If you have a stack of Well Fed you gain 1 trauma every 15 seconds.

There is no limit on the number of Hunger stacks you can have. You can see how this might quickly spiral out of control if you aren’t constantly finding food.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Amazing Member posted:

After spending more time in this game it was definitely just me being unfamiliar and unsure, and I guess there were/are still a bunch of new people hopping on from the tail end of the sale that just happened.

So, on that note does anyone have suggestions for decks?

I've kitted out several for each weapon type (smg, lmg, melee...) and even a silly copper one that I haven't tried yet to buy everything.

What are other people running?

Speaking as someone who ran with coordinated groups on higher difficulties more utility oriented cards become increasingly important. I also haven't played recently and I know there's some new cards that are probably good but I haven't used them.

For copper generally everyone is running at least Money Grubbers and Copper Scavenger. Copper Scav not only highlights copper so you find more it also adds 2 piles of 50 copper per card into each level. Assuming you find all of them that's 400 more copper per player (50 copper x 2 piles x 4 cards) per level, including hives.

Related to copper there is Stealthy Passage. Its primary purpose is to disable things like car alarms, security doors, birds (somehow), and traps but also important is that it gives everyone 25 copper per success. Again its important to think of that in terms of the group so that's actually 100 copper per success. When you have corruption cards like the bird one or the security door one or if the cultists are around and there's gas traps every where you can really build up a good coffer with minimal effort and generally minimal risk (just make sure everyone knows you're going to disarm something).

For a group that thinks it needs to supplement its healing, save money, or just make sure they aren't starting in a bad spot Saferoom Recovery is very good. Like Copper Scav it stacks per card so if everyone has it that's 60 health, 28 trauma, and 40% ammo in every saferoom (it doesn't work in hives). Besides giving a group a leg up if they ended a level poorly it just saves money, maybe you don't have a to buy a first aid kit or a wall kit heal or spend copper on healing/ammo.

It's most important in Act 1 because of the cannon at the end but you usually want someone with some Use Speed anyways and if you do go with Headband Magnifier. The penalty sounds scary but honestly its not that bad when it happens and if you're getting hit so often that its going off constantly you're already dead.

If you're worried about friendly fire then Down in Front can save a lot of trouble.

When I'm using guns I like to give particular emphasis on reload speed because the biggest damage doesn't matter if you aren't shooting. Obviously this is more important on sniper rifles, shotguns, and LMGs but every gun needs to reload eventually. So cards like Ammo Belt, Cold Brew Coffee, Scattergun Skills, Reload Skills, and Widemouth Magwell all fund themselves in one deck or another. I don't stack them all because the reverse is that the fastest reload speed doesn't matter if you aren't doing damage but depending on your weapon then 2 or 3 might be a good idea.

One deck I settled on fairly early one was one that disabled aiming but boosted accuracy. Hunker Down, Quick Kill, Mag Coupler, Killer's Instinct, and Down in Front make for a basic but effective combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It started bad and still has some issues but it’s a good game now and fine as it is. Not everything needs to be forever (and nothing should be).

I can only hope local hosting is patched in when the severs are inevitably shut down (lol WB won’t pay for that)