Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Can they not use the old versus mode due to a patent or something, I don't understand how this oversight happened. It's baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The card system is incongruent with the game and is trying to artificially add a "grind" where there doesn't need to be one.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

And L4D runs were already kind of a commitment and now it's even longer to get a full match and hope people don't quit.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I was SO disappointed the first time I used a pipebomb.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wondering how much of L4D was thanks to valve's help. Or lots of the old devs left the studio since then.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I will probably play this (It's on gamepass on PC) because I love this genre but its hard to not have high expectations and be nitpicky.

RBX fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 15, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRLNUGmFC8

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Are any of those adding anything to the game that helps? All of that is window dressing.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, L4D2’s animations and physics were definitely better, agreed. But that’s essentially window dressing that don’t have a meaningful gameplay impact. Though the pipebombs in L4D2 were always a good time.

Go back and play L4D2 — it’s still fun, but it’s aged by comparison. The animations are nice, but give me substance over style every time. And this isn’t to poo poo on L4D2 because that game was good as hell, it’s because B4B is a great game too.

The one place you’ll flat out win is the lack of a versus mode in B4B. Which is awful.

The video shows that all that wasn't window dressing. It was the soul of the game and it made it special. Even if we didn't notice or appreciate it at the time. L4D is still played by me and many others and still holds up like every other Valve title.

How does B4B have any more substance than L4D when it's trying to be a souless copy riding on past glory. The fact that it's even a debate of it quality is a failure, that part should've been a home run.

tehinternet posted:

The video that shows no meaningful gameplay impact or the stuff in the post above that impacts gameplay in a meaningful way by changing enemies, their abilities, your abilities, how the map looks or plays?

L4D didn't NEED any of that though. Cards and variants of special infected don't make the game better as whole. You just have to work harder to get back to the power level you used to be at.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The shooting was let down by the zombies being generic and ugly(not in a good way), don't like the maps, the specials are generic and more annoying to fight than fun, the bosses are bad.

The game plays like "serious" game where I gotta build craft and all that bullshit and I liked L4D because it was so casual. I'm kinda over builds and poo poo and get my fill of that in games like Destiny or Warframe

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Yeah this game is extremely unfriendly to casuals. One of the reasons I turned off comms was because I got sick of explaining the game's mechanics constantly to pubs. And I feel kinda bad but I just don't have the energy to clean up confusion about how trauma works for the sixth time in a session.

Also. Hoffman and Holly are the best characters mostly because they are funny and have quirky personalities. Evangelo and Mom are okay and it's downhill from there. The levels suffer from the same problem. They have locations, but they lack personality. You're not at a high-school where Jerry Celery is the school mascot and there's a zombie in a mascot costume, you're just at The School and your eyes can basically turn off.

I actually really like the game, I love the cards and the difficulty, I just wish they'd polished some of the rough edges a bit more.

Trauma damage is still the dumbest thing i've ever seen and not explaining it anywhere was awful. I pay close attention to tips and poo poo when I play games but I must've missed the tooltip on it or something.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

tehinternet posted:

I thought the striping on the bar was pretty intuitive coming from L4D2. Healing it, less so but still not exactly rocket science.

Yes I could tell something was going but what exactly was going on and what I needed to do was not communicated at all. I literally only know thanks to people online and unlocking cards. Which adds onto "bad pubbies" who are really "confused newbies" expecting to just hop on and shoot poo poo like World War Z.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Been playing a bit and you can see the improvements. It's definitely worth everybody's time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Do we really need forever updates to play this game anyway