Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ugh, I was very interested until the card system was mentioned. In the video she says they're earned through challenges but what's the betting you can pay money for packs of them on release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The 2 L4D games absolutely still hold up today. I managed to con a couple of friends to play them for the first time in years with me and we had a great time. I'm going to download this beta and see what's up but it really has a high bar to get over.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Played some last night and if I wasn't aware it was supposed to be Left 4 Dead I probably would never have put 2 and 2 together just playing it. The special infected really don't have much to differentiate themselves from the regular ones. The boomer equivalent doesn't look like he's full of goop like the L4D one, he looks like he should be punching your face off. So when you shoot him and he explodes and not much happens except your screen goes goopy for a few seconds it's a little anticlimactic.

The special infected in L4D were scary because they could gently caress you and your team right up even if it was just the AI that struck. When a hunter was about there was panic because that scream was nuts and you knew if you got leapt on you were going to take a whole bunch of damage before you got saved. This game's equivalent is the needler guy? I saw him hanging around on the side of a building but he didn't seem to do much else?!

I'm wondering if the team actually played L4D because if they did they really don't seem to understand why it was (and still is!) so good. I know it's just a demo but it just doesn't feel good to play, even dropping you into the camp at the start, yeah it's a nice bit of world building but it's extra faff the game doesn't need. Everything L4D had to tell you it did so along the way during that first level, you learned so much about how it plays very quickly. That this one has a shooting range with a stack of different coloured guns and other assorted stuff suggests the team thinks more = more better. L4D was great because it was so simple. I suppose if I took anything away from the beta it was that I've no desire to give this any time because that first impression was so dull and overly frustrating.

I think my favourite part of the game was when I was stood over one of those big gun cases, the case said it had a mini gun in it but it said I needed to unlock it. The case is plastic, has 4 little plastic latches on it and I'm stood holding a machete. This is after I had to punch down a wooden door. C'mon guys, at least be loving consistent. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's what I was thinking about a whole lot playing this. The work was done for them already, all they had to do was copy the homework.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

How does everyone else feel about the amount of guns? I felt like there were just way way way too many. Like, why are there so many variations of the same basic guns with slight differences in stats? Same goes for the attachments. When you add weapon quality on top of it, it translated to me spending way too much time hemming and hawing over stats when I'd rather be running and gunning. Looking over numbers before a mission is one thing, but once poo poo gets going I want to fight some fuckin' zombies yo

Honestly, the beauty of L4D was the simplicity of it especially when it came to guns

*edit: I know someone is going to wade in and go "well this game might not be for you then" and I'm well aware of that after having played the beta. I'll continue to occasionally play the 2 L4D games but I'm a little disappointed that when we asked for more these devs thought we wanted more of everything rather than just the good bits of the old games. Disappointing but this is the games industry where companies love overcomplicating everything to the detriment of the actual gameplay.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 6, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm sure I mentioned it here before, may have been elsewhere but in the first L4D at least there's a commentary mode featuring the game designers explaining absolutely every choice they made and why. It was pretty fascinating to hear about the subtle and not so subtle prompts to players. I'd love to see more stuff like that in games, hearing about ideas that were floated but failed during testing etc.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The old valve dev commentary modes were great, it's what brought us the story of the puddle that their playtesters kept drowning in in HL2.

I obviously need to go seek that out. Is it in the game itself like the L4D one??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's a term used in airsoft guns (a hop-up device puts spin on the BB so it flies further) but it has absolutely nothing to do with real guns. So either Respawn didn't know it was only an airsoft thing, or did know and just liked how it sounded as a future slang term for "weapon mod".

Going back a while but I first saw hop up used as a term for upgrades in the manuals of 80s Tamiya RC cars.