Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Richard Bong posted:

Ok I played lot today. It is 100% better. Veteran is a challenge and will punish mistakes like spreading out or not prepping for an event, but the special spam is toned way down. It is totally manageable. The free x2 first aid uses are clutch.

This feels so much better, it actually feels fair.

I haven’t tried Veteran since the update, but the special spam is gone in recruit.

Also, this is kind of funny (I can’t make the pic display on my tablet)

https://imgur.com/a/1EJH9Sr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
I generally dislike YouTube streamers (I'm old and grumpy), but Swingpoynt has a lot of good videos related to B4B. Prior to watching his videos, I had no idea what the upgrades did to slots 3, 4, and 5. Dude can talk incredibly fast, but his videos have changed the way I play the game. He really gets off into the weeds with the math, and I genuinely appreciate him showing how he figures everything out.

Here's a video where he talks about bullet stumble and how important it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttBh07PPWk

He has one where he and his friends run T-5 on Nightmare, and their use of the razor wire completely breaks the level. I had previously just disregarded razor wire as useless, but it's pretty amazing when you have your Quick Slot upgraded to purple and the wire deploys as a circle.

He builds a deck to give grenades 13,000 damage that I have to check out.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
Purchasing the upgrades to slots 3, 4, & 5 is such a QOL improvement in this game.

Everything works better when it's purple! Always play your copper cards first.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

They really should have put in a dodge function

Also do the spitter projectiles come at anyone else in about 4 long frames?

I think I've seen this. I see a spitter take his little pose and get ready to hork, and I immediately start moving left or right. I can see the spit go where I was, but I still take damage. I just assumed it was a latency issue.

My issues with the game have mostly all been addressed with the December patch, and I still have great fun playing. I had reservations about the card system, but I found it to be the best part of the game. I really enjoy adjusting the decks and changing my play style to take advantage of different bonuses and drawbacks.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Karlee is just mean and unpleasant. While healing you: "I don't have to do this, you know"

Like, no poo poo. No one asked you to. gently caress off

She has the absolute worst dialog, but I can't stop choosing her. Her bonuses are too much for me to pass up. Hoffman is a super-Chud and annoying as well.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

Honestly they should just ask Valve if they can port in Ellis.

I don't remember any of the other characters lines from L4D2, but i certainly remember that dork.

Ellis had some funny lines in L4D2, but when he was a bot player, all he did was hoover pills and the adrenaline shots. Dude had a dark problem IRL :v:

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Makes we wonder what the point of the mechanic is.

The game is literally built around the player making choices. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've stuck with a white weapon because I have good mods on it, and I can't be bothered to start over with a blue one for 5% more range.

Also, the B4B Trello says they are working on new levels, and a card to let you remove attachments from the weapons.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

wereboat posted:

cant wait to get dogpiled by half a dozen bruisers while the rest of the party dropped their guns so the one with the field strip card can remove the 4x scope from a tec9

Have you tried playing with people who aren't poo poo?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
I've found that razor wire helps out tremendously on Grave Danger. We set the wire up at the church entrance to deal with the commons, then snipe snitches and retreat to the church and kill specials. Those two Breakers at the end become a lot easier when you let the wire deal with the commons.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
I've noticed a weird effect when I kill a Hag. I sometimes get a wavy haze around the outskirts of the screen that lasts until the round is over.

Is this a "me" issue? Or is there a buff that comes with getting the kill on the hag that I've been missing?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

JagerNinja posted:

Speaking of Cabins by the Lake, does anyone know what using a tool kit on the ferry does? We've been debating among our group but we haven't really seen a difference. I'm pretty sure the devs don't know, either.

I'll give it a try and report back.

Regarding increased spawns, I ran the mineshaft level on Veteran, and the mine tunnels were loaded with common infected. There had to be 200 of them in the last tunnel, just standing around waiting for me.

Another thing I don't care for is the infected being unable to break alarmed doors any more. Or at least they can't break them when it's advantageous to the player. I really wish there was a counter other than carrying a bunch of tool kits.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

JagerNinja posted:

Speaking of Cabins by the Lake, does anyone know what using a tool kit on the ferry does? We've been debating among our group but we haven't really seen a difference. I'm pretty sure the devs don't know, either.

I tried this last night. The ferry is faster, much less infected & specials spawn, and the ferry makes it to the dock before breaking in half and dumping you in the water.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

Xaiter posted:

Bunny hop through the water, it's way faster. You do move slower than normal, but it's a hell of a lot faster than just tanking the move speed penalty for water.

I have to agree with this. Let the ferry go and kill whatever spawns. Saves a toolkit too!

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
It gets worse than Nightmare? The group I play with can't get past 1-2 (we suck).

Well, I look forward to fifteen special infected spawning in the safe room as I shop!

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
I'm having fun with the expansion. The legendary weapons have all been game changers against the special infected, making subsequent levels a whole lot easier.

Only thing I don't like is carrying around the stupid skull totems. I have forgotten them far too many times, and end up with little to show for my trip through the tunnels. It's 100% my fault, but I still don't like it.

My group tried a tunnel on Nightmare last night. It didn't go well, but it was definitely intense!

EDIT: While Sharice brings a lot to the table with her team bonus and spawning armor plates, Heng seems like a waste of time so far. Just an older Evangelo.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

Cidrick posted:

Swingpoynt recently published a video that suggests Heng is really good on No Hope, where you can start with all 15 cards in your deck drawn and just become a tanky beast of temp health

I saw that video. Swingpoynt can do some amazing things, but I'm nowhere near his skill level. Heng just doesn't fit well with how I play. Same with Evangelo and now Mom to a lesser extent. :shrug:

It also sucks that statty.net isn't going to update anymore. They were a useful tool for those wondering about weapon damage in B4B. I would have liked to see the stats on the new legendary weapons. How can I min/max without this data? :ohdear:

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
They changed "Cabins by the Lake" so you have to take the ferry or else you get an endless horde, at least on Veteran.

Nothing about it in the patch notes, either. Kind of a dick move.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm looking for handy little details like "did you know you can grenade birds to get rid of them" or "you can escape a hag with a breakout card"

One of the things that had an immediate impact on my game was learning to tell the difference between Snitches and Tattlers. Snitches have white lights around their necks, and Tattlers have red lights. You can kill the ones with white lights and not get a horde. The ones with red lights always call a horde when they die. Silenced weapons don't alert either of them, even when you are shooting them.

Also, ALWAYS buy the upgrade to give yourself better goodies in slots 3, 4, and 5. It makes a difference.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

tehinternet posted:

Anybody else noticing that nightmare seems noticeably easier than it used to be?

I certainly do, but I started playing nightmare right before the prior update screwed up the spawn rates for specials. The Tunnels of Terror update brought it back to where it was before (I think).

Canopus250 posted:

There is a card that lets you disarm trapped doors/alarmed cars/birds. How on earth does the interaction with birds work?

Comically, the birds self-destruct when you defuse them. It's actually really stupid, but in a not annoying sort of way. :shrug:

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
The only good thing about Cost of Avarice is that it keeps Walker / Jim / Evangelo from running into your line of sight.

It's manageable in the hidden hives or when you have 4 real players, but it forces you to make some lovely choices otherwise.

The hidden hives are loving great. You get a ton of copper, you are pretty much guaranteed three additional skulls, and you get two more chances at legendary weapons.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
New update coming with some interesting changes.

https://youtu.be/mZ5pXJgUW1A

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
The Nemesis now appears to call a never-ending horde from spawn points within 30 meters. It used to just attract zombies within a 30 meter range, but now they just don't stop coming. I've seen it in legendary and blue/purple versions.

Definitely not in the patch notes. I wonder if it's a bug or a feature. Either is likely. :v:

Also, the Damnation is still too much fun. EVERYTHING MUST BURN!

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Yeah same. I'm learning the hard way where all of the infinite spawns are.

If you don't ride the ferry on Cabins by the Lake, you get an infinite spawn now. On every difficulty level, I think. Haven't tried it on No Hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
Played the expansion with friends tonight. I really enjoyed the new maps, and the new enemies are certainly challenging.

The guys throwing the boomer bile (piss jars) are so loving effective and annoying! Also the big guys with the metal claws are pretty difficult to kill. Even on Veteran, they would just soak up rounds and keep coming.

The stationary enemy snipers are pretty ineffective though. Reminds me of the Combine snipers in Half Life 2. You can see them from a mile away and they are easy to kill.

While the fixed snipers are easily defeated, I found the snipers equipped with bow & arrow are far more difficult to engage. I wasted a lot of ammo killing them, but it was funny seeing teammates with arrows sticking out of them.

I think we all stepped in a bear trap at least once. Even though they are bright red and highlighted with a red outline as you approach, they are easy to overlook. Then SNAP! You aren’t going anywhere for a while.