Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I played a round, until they killed me (first dead in my team, ups).

So… it’s basically Left 4 Dead 3. Which it was always the intention, the title says as much, with the 4 in the middle and the choice of the word ‘back’, back to their original series, but with another name.
This was already clear on the trailers, but playing it made me think how similar is to L4D, even in the visuals, for things like the chosen colors and the lightning. They clearly tried to be reminiscent of how the first two looked, even if they are using a different engine!

Beyond that, well, the level structure & overall pace is also similar to L4D, same as some of the special zombies, same as the safe houses, etc. The novelties?
-weapons are more rpg-y, presented with a card with stats and the overall level.
-They can have attachments.
-In general there is more itemization. Not only there are a good number of different weapons, both melee and ranged, but there are also a good amount of explosives, defensive or offensive items, etc.
-Weapons have different ammo (rifles, smg, pistol, sniper, shotgun, I think), you can take any ammo even if you don’t have that weapon type and you can drop ammo for mates.
-The card system, as a series of random bonuses or mutators for the level (one I’ve seen, fog present in the map). Some of the cards are actually more challenges than anything else, like receive x gold if you don’t die more than 1 time. That kind of stuff. So really the cards are a catch-all system for several different things, like player perks, random level changes, challenges, etc.
-There is a economy, you win money and there is shop in each safe house.
-edit: It's so obvious that I didn't write it, but one of the main differences is that now you have ADS and sprint button.

oh yeah the performance is very good, even in a not top of the line computer.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I feel like to make any inroads on veteran I need to grind out cards on recruit to craft a deck. Also need to party up with likeminded people.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

played recruit for 2 hours or so because I wanted to have an actual full deck before trying veteran/know where the gotchas are in the levels, and it was so easy it was hard to lose other than the boat on level 4 which spawned about 6 specials at once (and still didn't come close to downing anyone). seems like there probably should have been a difficulty in between recruit and veteran. L4D2 had 4 difficulties, vermintide had 5 difficulties, vermintide 2 had 4 difficulties, payday 2 initially had 4 difficulties and eventually more. only 3 difficulties doesn't seem like a good number when there's an element of metaprogression.

first impressions are that it feels a lot better than the demo though, far from perfect but specials are making sound cues much more consistently and there is overall less of a sense of jank with the zombies.

There is a hilariously big gap in difficulty between Recruit (a bit too easy) and Veteran (being wiped out most of the time on the first freaking level). Even with nice cards Veteran is overturned.

I agree with Gay Rat Wedding in that there should be more difficulties. BTW, Vermintide 2 has 5 difficulties https://vermintide2.fandom.com/wiki/Difficulty . Same as DRG.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First hotfix:

Campaign – this is an attempt to address some of the concerns regarding the challenges presented by some difficulties.
- Roaming Special Spawn rate decreased on all difficulties
- Adjusted Supply Point earning rates for Blue Dog Hollow: The Sound of Thunder to better account for level repeats
Swarm – adjustments made in response to what we’ve observed with Swarm matches.
- (Skipped, who cares about pvp lol)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We commented before that there should be a difficulty in between Recruit and Veteran (actually it's a common sentiment, I read the same in other forums), but I will go even further:

Recruit should be slightly easier. For people who aren't gamers it can be overwhelming.
Veteran should be a bit harder. Rename it to 'Professional' or 'Harcdore' or whatever.
Then put not one, but TWO difficulties between the two. Then you have 5 difficulties in total, like in DRG and Vermintide 2, and you are covering both players of different skill and players with different amount of deck progression.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Xbox stats (clear Gamepass influence here)

Steam stats

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This sounds like bad game design, tbh.

...What part is bad?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Eeepies posted:

Tbh it's the price that's stopping me from getting the game. I like it when I played during the open beta, the gunplay was pretty good and the game was a nice fresh take on the co-op gunplay genre. It does enough things differently that it'll keep me immersed for a long time.
But 60 USD is a very tall ask, and I don't have access to game pass.

Is game pass only in specific countries?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I stopped playing... 15 days ago or so, I decided to wait a bit until they patch it a bit and play other games meanwhile.

But they haven't released any update in this time, right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DRG is a bit different in difficulty to other horde shooters, it really goes into the forgiving side. You have infinite revives, for example. Comparing B4B to Vermintide 2 or L4D2 would be more worthwhile.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roadmap revealed

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leal posted:

:psyduck: They nerfed a handful of cards and buffed some of the special zombies?

That was my first impression too, lol.

So, instead of making Veteran easier, they are making Recruit harder I guess?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/TurtleRock/status/1458661427225444352?s=20

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not only they have decreased the difficulty with these changes:

quote:

Recruit:

Player base damage resist increased to 25% (was 20%)
Continue currency bonus increased to 300 (was 250)
Continue Heal bonus increased to 75 (was 25)
Continue Trauma heal bonus increased to 25 (was 20)

Veteran:

Rescaled friendly fire values
Sleepers no longer call hordes
Player base damage increased to 120% (was 100%)
Player base Health increased to 115 (was 100)
Player Base ammo capacity increased 120% (was 100%)
Trauma heals per safe room +5 (was 0)
Continue currency bonus increased to 200 (was 150)
Continue Heal bonus increased to 25 (was 15)
First aid cabinet free use increased to 2 (was 1)

They also used the nerf stick on the Ridden waves here:

quote:

During endless Hordes and back-to-back hordes, all Horde Special Ridden are limited to 2 of a given type and a maximum of 4
Added a Horde Special Ridden cooldown
Developer Note: This helps avoid the doubling of Special Ridden when multiple hordes are triggered.
Timed Hordes made to have a longer minimum resume time of 60 seconds (was 30) with the exception of custom events.
Developer Note: If you triggered a horde while having a timed horde, it was possible to have the timed horde trigger too soon after the initial horde.
Roaming Special Ridden max count now 4 (was 6)
Developer Note: Limits the potential Special Ridden counts in certain situations.
Reduced chance for all Tallboy variants on Veteran and Nightmare difficulties
Increased Roaming Special Ridden minimum spawn distance to 30m (was 20m)
Increased Wander Special Ridden minimum spawn distance to 10m (was 5m)

and the ridden stats here:

quote:

Blighted Ridden no longer deal instant explosion damage when they die
Special Ridden’s defense against bullet penetration to weak spots has been reduced
Tallboy & Bruiser hit boxes are more accurate and their weak spots are easier to hit
Tallboy & Bruiser Overhead attack damage radius reduced to 200 units (was 250)
Tallboys have less ability to turn during a Burst traversal
Decreased Crusher squeeze attach distance for squeeze attack to 200 units (was 300)
Retch’s effective range in meters decreased to 22 (was 25), tracking and ramp up time adjusted to work better
Retch will rotate slightly slower and will track the target for slightly longer during vomit attack (2.25 seconds from 1.6)
Retch projectile spray starts at a lower velocity now (75% of max instead of 90% of max) and ramps up to max velocity over a longer period of time (0.75 seconds instead of 0.4 seconds)
Hocker pin projectile speed reduced to 2500 (was 3500)
Hocker pin miss cooldown increased to 8 seconds (was 0)
Hocker pin hit cooldown increased to 8 seconds (was 2)
Hocker initial damage reduced to 5 (was 10)
Hocker damage over time increased to 3 (was 2)

Hag health reduced to 7500 (8200)
Hag weak spot multiplier increased to 2.25 (was 2)
Stinger projectile cooldown while perched increased

and gave some misc buff to players here

quote:

Increase player acceleration to 2100 (was 1900)
Brake friction to 7 (was 6.5)

Player starts with max ammo when beginning a run
Cleaner hitboxes are more accurate, reducing accidental friendly fire
Aim assist when targeting armored commons is improved
Friendly fire damage no longer increases with each weapon tier
Healing Efficiency now improves temporary healing

Added one additional card draw to Acts 2 and 3

and buffed Combat Card and Healing Card and nerfed Corruption Cards.

All together it should make the game pretty different, difficulty wise.