Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just started calling hockers "the fun police", because when more than one spawns at a time, they have a habit of making the game not fun until you've hunted down and killed all of them

Also, am I bad at video games or is the gap between difficulty levels enormous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just don't like that there's so much story in the game and basically no storytelling. Like, I don't know where this takes place, when the collapse was, how I'm supposed to feel about commaner man from Fort Hope or scientist man, how any of the characters know each other, who they were before the apocalypse, what the ridden actually are, what "immune" means for worm parasites(?), why mass graves would make breeding grounds for monsters if everyone in a grave is dead, etc.

Easy example of the character stuff, at the end of act 4, everyone in my group was confused by the character moment between Doc and Mom, and I only knew that they would be close because I main Doc and Mom's the only person who calls Doc by her first name instead of her title when I heal. I wonder what character interactions or even story I'm missing out on because I only want to play as Doc

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

stuff has been sitting in Coming Soon since October 12th but yeah okay

even anthem was pumping out updates within the first couple weeks

By a much larger studio with a more aggressive publisher and with much bigger launch issues

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anything until around Thanksgiving, but I'm really hoping for something coming sooner

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Roadmap revealed

About what I'd expected, though I do feel that December seems pretty far off for an offline mode. Excited for alternate character cards, not that +25% trauma resistance is bad, but it's hard to know how useful it actually is

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know, I kept waiting for the microtransactions to pop up as soon as they explained cards an supply points and was pleasantly surprised that all progression is earned in game. Not even cosmetics can be bought AFAIK

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

quote:

Fixed some issues related to Specials spawning

Which issues, specifically? Because I can think of about 4 off the top of my head that are absolutely necessary changes

Bruiser buffs don't bother me, maybe I'll finally learn to distinguish them from Tallboys

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've run into my fair share of bugs, but I don't run into anything like you guys do. The worst one I got was ADS just looking into the butt of my gun and I couldn't get rid of it until I got a new gun

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Can comfortably confirm that 100% accuracy build makes you a threshing machine. My only problem with it is that I don't click right and I used to be able to blame that on the gun

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I finally have a good one! A stalker grabbed me while I was up against the railing on a bridge and his momentum carried me through the geometry, so we were standing on air doing his hostage taker animation like it was looney tunes. After a second or two the game realized where we were and ragdolled both of us into the water

Other than that, has anyone else noticed that the Xbox players tend to be dumb as bricks? I don't mean normal pubbie stupid that's usually them not being a team player. I mean the kind of stupid that will refuse to use free medical cabinets, jump off ledges so they can't be rescued, run away from the safe room after everyone else is in, set off alarms immediately after they're tagged, run away from the group when a set piece horde is triggered, unlock the minigun and place it somewhere useless only to get downed on it, etc. I thought maybe it's been a few standouts that really colored my opinion, but then I checked my B4B friends list and it was all PC and PS5 players, so I had to ask if I'm getting bad matches of it's an actual trend others can see

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's published by WB, what exactly were you expecting?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Every 30-45 minutes my game will hitch, regardless of what's happening in the game or even on my screen and I just chalk it up to my internet connection

The only complete BS corruption card there is is the Toxic Spill/Biohazard card. Constant HP damage can be murder when fighting bosses or on long levels

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

I couldn't remember a lot of set pieces from l4d2 until I watched that video and that's really something b4b is missing

Everyone loves the bar level but that's one of the few times the game decides to be a little goofy

I couldn't care less about facial animations and death stumbles but at the same time that shows how much time and love they put into the game (and how much money they had at their disposal)

Something that still bugs me about b4b is how long they took to add easy wins: people are mad as hell about hockers/stingers and they wait two months to add a cooldown in a mega patch instead of doing a small update. And if that made the game too easy? Who cares, like 1 percent of the public were capable of finishing veteran before that

Another stupid thing that still bugs me is the buy menu, where they made razor wire a utility item but it's still in the middle of the grenade poo poo

In case people were confused at all about the budget of this game, how many times is the gas station map where you spawn at Fort Hope reused? I'm sure having to have patches on at least 5 SKUs also hurts their ability to do hotfixes

A lot of the offensive item cards still mention razor wire too. It's a good change, but I think it was added pretty late in the patch and they didn't have time to actually make it more clear

As far as big memorable portions of the game, I think the run up to Blue Dog Mine with all of the open mine shafts is probably the best set pieces in the game. It shows how the just the common ridden got to be so dangerous and communicates the game's core idea of constant forward momentum better than anything else in the game. At least it does until you've run it a couple times with your crew and everyone brings grenades to destroy the spawn points and it becomes a light jog up a mountain, but it's what stands out the most for me

In fact, almost every level in act 1 is really good except the farm and searching for boxes with the snitches

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Trauma damage is a fine mechanic and I figured it out really fast by playing almost exclusively medic decks, but I don't ever remember any explanation of it in the game... The corruption cards that make specials inflict 100% of their damage as trauma are also not cool

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

Tallboy/crusher/bruiser = large lad
Retch/reeker/exploder = big guy
Stalker/hocker/stinker = fun police

Alternatively,
Big Guy
Fat Boy
Whoop! Whoop! (because that's the sound of the police) or ACAB is also acceptable

Get creative with your call outs people, even spotting a special can be fun for your group if you make it fun

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Stalkers are short though

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Have a dedicated loot goblin on the team. More drops means better chances for good items

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ichabod Tane posted:

I hate the characters. So much so that I wish I could just play a generic survivor or create my own somehow. Not a single one is likeable and not a single piece of dialogue they share is worthwhile. Everything they say makes me groan. I’ve turned dialogue volume and subtitles completely off.

I love Doc, her lines are fine (except the mutating virus line), I just wish she had a different voice actress. Something about the sound of her voice rubs me the wrong way and I can't figure out why, maybe too nasal-y?
Karlee is such a Debbie Downer, but that can be funny sometimes. Hoffman is the worst and hearing him huff and puff all game is not worth it at all to get his unique passives. Holly is pretty good overall. Mom's alright until you get the right party comp and go into her backstory. Evangelo is annoying, but in an endearing kind of way. Jim and Walker are bland enough that I don't remember which voice lines go to which character

I hope the new Cleaners have more fun to them, I know it's the apocalypse, but still

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

That deagle only gave me 3 copper, no matter what. Still a great way to get money though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yeah, they should have said "from the developers of Evolve"