Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
So. The company that originally developed the Left 4 Dead co-op shooter series is now reviving the series under a new name. It comes out in June but it's in closed alpha from Dec. 17-21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8-0UlzrEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP7nvIv6SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys9bVAa9J1Y

Is anyone else playing it in the closed alpha test right now? It only runs until the 21st but I thought it might be more fun to play with someone other than pubbies. I wasn't a big L4D person, so I'm not really the one to put in a whole bunch of effort into a megathread OP, but there didn't seem to be any thread for discussing it.

Marble Hebrons discord has a decent number of goons playing this.

I had Discendo Vox's old Payday discord linked here before and it's still an option but there didn't seem to be a lot of uptake.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Was there another thread I missed?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

resting bort face posted:

I'm pleased to hear there will be a new L4D but unless a game is already out it doesn't exist for me.

Not trying to damper anyone's enthusiasm. Just trying to explain the lack of responses.

Mainly I was fishing for other goons in the alpha.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ugh, I was very interested until the card system was mentioned. In the video she says they're earned through challenges but what's the betting you can pay money for packs of them on release?

I'm not interested in it at all if they're going to go with loot box nonsense, but I don't really see any reason to assume that it is. A bunch of the perks are so heavily associated with particular characters in art and concept that I kinda suspect that they're going with something along the lines of Gears horde cards, where you grind out a character to get their cards.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The base price is the game (and a preorder skin pack). The digital deluxe is that, four days of early access, and what seems to be a season pass for three DLC, sight unseen. The ultimate pack is that plus some cosmetics and seems stupid to me.

$60 plus $30 more for a season pass out of the gate is pretty standard AAA poo poo. I'm not happy about it but none of it seems unusual except how pointlessly obfuscated it is.

I would absolutely not preorder or bother with the deluxe or ultimate nonsense sight unseen.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Momomo posted:

Kinda doubt my computer can play this game that well, but it would be nice to relive the Goon4Dead days again. Have we officially gotten to the point where New Zombie Game can be met with something other than groans?

I didn't play L4D back in the day, but I am enjoying this in the alpha test. The only downside is playing with pubbies and bots, so it's hard to turn up the difficulty at all.

EorayMel posted:

Unless it's a 2015-era payday 2 thing with stats/boosts directly attached to the skins that can only be gotten with real outside money, and also a big hearty lol @

There's some confusion about how the game works here I think. Here's how things work right now:

You pick one of four human characters. Each character has some associated abilities and a starting secondary weapon, as well as a bunch of triggered voice barks. Holly has a bat and a bunch of melee-oriented bonuses, Evangelo has a machete and goes fast, Walker has a Glock handgun and is just generically good at dealing damage with guns, and Hoffman hoards ammo and support items and has an M1911. There are also four blanked-out spots for more characters; they've already previewed one.

The bonuses characters have are fixed, and match their personalities. It kinda sucks when you wanted to play melee but Holly is already taken. In any case, the characters aren't just skins; it's different from L4D that way. I assume from marketing that there will be skins for each character, like in games like Overwatch or Apex. I am almost certain that they also intend to sell people more characters in DLC (judging from the description of the Deluxe edition's season pass), and those characters will have a game impact unless something changes.

You also pick a deck of 15 cards, chosen from your library of about 75-ish. Everyone has the same library in the alpha. I assume but do not know for certain that this is the main thing you'll be grinding for in the game; they have said you unlock cards with "challenges". (I've seen the edges of a non-functional challenge UI in the alpha, as I accomplished things like finishing the first act for the first time or killing X number of ridden zombies.) Generally, cards have an always-on bonus (eg +10% reload speed) or a triggered bonus (everyone heals 75 health when someone goes down). There's also cards to start with a basic primary weapon: a one-star sniper rifle, sawed-off shotgun, AK, or Uzi SMG.

Your deck has one "loadout" card that you always start with at the beginning of a run. This is a good place for a card that's a lynchpin to your build, often a primary weapon to start with. You then draw cards randomly from your remaining deck; three cards to start, then one card before each stage in the run (or every time you fail and hit continue). Some of the cards are so closely tied to certain characters with art and mechanics that I suspect that they're earned by playing that character, possibly similar to perk cards in Gears 5 Horde. If you're playing in the alpha, the non-ADS perk cards are super great, and I don't think two cards that do the exact same thing (eg +10% accuracy and +30% accuracy but no ADS) stack together. However, team based bonuses do stack with each other; if all four players take +10% fatigue, everyone gets +40% fatigue. It's possible that the cards end up some sort of lootbox/CCG system where they're available for real money, but none of the announced DLC stuff with the deluxe edition says anything about that.

Before each stage, there are also Ridden perk cards. This is more or less fixed based on difficulty right now, but I think it'll be a bit more random in the final game. Ridden perk cards change what enemies you face. There's three different speeds of regular zombie, plus an armored zombie wearing police riot armor with helmets that pop off when you shoot them. There's also a chance for the Ogre boss from the trailer to appear in 1-3, where you have to fight him to get by. (He always appears in 1-2, but you just run away like in the trailer.) This seems like an obvious place to graft on more unlockable stuff to mix up the stages you've already done before, or add in new special zombies in later DLC.

The other big changes from L4D, although this may be incomplete since I didn't play L4D:
  • Characters have a fatigue bar that is drained by sprinting or melee attacks. This comes up a lot in the last stage of the alpha act, where you have to set bombs and run away.
  • You're usually faster than the enemies. Running ahead and kiting is effective as long as you don't blunder into things (like snitches, hockers, or birds).
  • You find money laying around. Players can spend that money in safe rooms for consumable items (mostly grenades, healing items, and lockpicks), ammo refills or capacity increases, or mods for their weapons. Money is automatically shared with everyone.
  • There are more weapon types, and all weapons can have up to four stars denoting weapon quality, in addition to weapon mods. (The alpha only seems to have 1-star and 2-star weapons though.) In addition to the starting weapons, I've seen hatchets and fireaxes for melee, M4 and M16 assault rifles, an underwhelming LMG whose name I can't remember, a TEC9 machine pistol secondary (which is super fun but pretty impractical without the infinite ammo perk), a magnum revolver secondary, and a non-sawn-off shotgun. Weapons can also spawn with better mods than you can buy in saferooms. Weapon types seem disconnected from weapon quality; I've seen two-star AKs and one-star LMGs and magnum revolvers, for example.
  • You can find cards laying around. I'm not 100% sure if everyone can pick from a card spawn, though. They just add a temporary generic card for the rest of this single run in the alpha; not sure if that's how they'll work in the final game.
  • Rescue-closet-style respawns are in the actual path, and the respawned player just has the gear they died with.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The "spawn more ammo" card is invaluable and benefits everyone and AFAICT stacks. But you never know if anyone but you has it. I don't know why the "spawn more X" card isn't a shared card.

You can also buy ammo refills for fairly cheap in safe rooms.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I'm glad that they came out and explained the card grind poo poo. It was fair to worry that was gonna be really heavily monetized.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

municipal shrimp posted:

if anyone is looking to play together we're all playing in this discord

https://discord.gg/CWyJ7ZyaxM

I updated the OP, payday discord didn't have a lot of interest

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

I'm pretty certain most positive critical reviews were game journalists who played on the Rookie level where it's almost impossible to die and the horde numbers have been nerfed alongside the abilities of special zombies.

most of the reviews pointed out the same issue with difficulty being really erratic, even the positive ones

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dr.acula posted:

Anyone know how this game runs on a 3gig 1060?

I ran the beta just fine on a 1060 6gig.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i do appreciate that red dot sights are fuzzy for mom because she has old person eyes

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

where can I find goons to play with?

I have a regular friend thing but that's once a week, in between I wouldn't mind grinding supply points here and there.

There's a bunch of goons playing on the old Marvel Heroes discord.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The knife is nice as prophylaxis against a down or a wipe, not as a main killing strategy. Quickly killing the 5-10 breakthrough ridden that would otherwise be the start of a cascade to failure is more valuable than 5-10 routine kills.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah but now you don't have to shoot them because they're dead and can save that ammo for others. I think it's a valid personal QOL choice in a deck.

You're not just saving the ammo, but you're also saving time you could spend shooting other ridden.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
New patch notes up.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
good if it works the way they said it did

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Cool, ty. Do we have goon groups playing?

The Discord in the OP has been talking about playing this again after the patch hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Turtle Rock just got bought by Tencent.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-12-17-tencent-buys-back-4-blood-developer-turtle-rock