Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skin monetization is 100% normal and its not like its a competitive shooter, so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EorayMel posted:

Unless it's a 2015-era payday 2 thing with stats/boosts directly attached to the skins that can only be gotten with real outside money, and also a big hearty lol @

Considering what happened after they tried that, they'd have to be braindead to try it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the club guys are loving terrible. I get you're supposed to flank but it loves to spawn them in tiny corridors.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've gone through vet a couple of times now, main concerns.

1. It absolutely shits on you if you try to go through veteran first, but survivor is so piss easy that i hated going through it.

2. It's really not that good at getting information across to you.

Examples: Most specials have variants, but they all kinda sound the same. They just gurgle. There's nothing unique about it. The spitter/hocker are the main offender here. The bird radius seems to just occasionally go "gently caress you" and go off anyway, etc.

3. The sound is loving terrible. L4D had clear audio cues. You'd hear a witch before you got to it, here the snitch just kinda silently walks up to you.

That being said I do like the game, its just not as good as L4D, which is hilarious considering how old that game is.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the special zombies are lazy. Remember hearing a boomer and knowing that you can't just shoot everything anymore, you had to actually check corners? Can't do that now. Can't even introduce it, the game doesn't have a shove mechanic.

Melee weapons are also basically lovely. The fire axe is the only viable one and with trauma damage stacking up as quickly as it does, you don't really want to use a lot of melee.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
His line about "how can you not believe in aliens after all the poo poo we've seen" was pretty funny.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Her and Hoffman are the best so far for sure. The ammo pickups really do help.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
After more gameplay, my main problem with this game is just the specials. I loving hate the specials.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grapplejack posted:

GTFO is cool as gently caress but it expects a LOT out of you, and it expects you and your group to take it super seriously, and if you don't it's going to punish the gently caress out of you. Which is cool, I'm glad it exists, but i'm not who the game is for lmao

There's also the problem of them designing the new rundowns for their bunny hopping functionally immune to every mechanic portion of their playerbase, which is less than a couple hundred people. I don't know anyone who plays the game anymore and last i checked it was doing poo poo on steam.

B4B talk: I managed to get through veteran with pubs while one was repeatedly just setting off hordes and being a massive dumbass, so its doable with good cards.

Also not a fan of how the best way to get through certain levels is to just gently caress the AI up a bit. The boat is a big one, two players stood up top will make it so the players below barely get touched, but its not particularly obvious.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Did you play in a 4-stack and on what difficulty? Veteran is doable if you've got a competent team but if you're playing with pubbies it's way way harder, and if with bots it's basically not doable. Nightmare is also functionally impossible unless you've got a 4-stack on comms and high-end cards

Vet is easily doable with pubbies, you just need a couple of good cards.

The card system is a big culprit of "what the gently caress" I feel. Seems like they balanced around it.

I don't mind nightmare needing a full stack

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We had enough money to chuck down a bunch of pipe bombs so we dumped them down the slope, then set up. Hordes were just always looking at a pipe bomb, the ogre got murdered by the minigun and specials just got fragged immediately.

This is on vet, its basically a breeze when you know what you're doing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SettingSun posted:

Let me put this another way. On Veteran I have never finished that safe house. I and my friends know what's coming. We have pipe bombs. We attempt to focus singular windows. If you are downed holding the boards you can't fire your sidearm. That's probably a bug but still. When two crushers, an exploder, and a hocker raid the place within seconds of each other, I don't know that the game intends for us to do except to accept our fate.

Don't force singular windows, do one each. That, one pipe bomb and a single frag will solve all your problems

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Andrew Verse posted:

More weapon damage is the main thing. Higher rarity weapons are also supposed to have better stats, but I'm not entirely sure what stats there are. I'm guessing reload speed, accuracy and that sort of things.

You can ignore firepower as a stat, the Scar is objectively the best weapon because it will oneshot enemies all the way up to the final mission and base damage doesn't seem to change, just handling.

I actually just kind of ignore the weapon system. I'll add a sight and a suppressor but that's about it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PicklePants posted:

I did get some good laughs from Hoffman's lines, but man. There's a flu line given by an NPC in a camper about getting a vax, and that was just too real, and took me right out of the game.

Did you look above her? The guy who refused to get the vax is dead up there. Very much too real.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
All of the stats are fake and don't matter anyway. Firepower is a dumb stat that means gently caress all when you realise that the scar is the only rifle that will consistently kill with bodyshots on harder modes, because I think firepower affects stagger rate, not actual power. If it does, it doesn't do nearly enough.

So yeah, remove the stats imo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

veni veni veni posted:

Played this for a while tonight and I'm sort of confused as to how other people are even making it anywhere in this game. My goon group played on veteran(or whatever normal difficulty is called) for probably 90 minutes and we literally only made it to the first checkpoint once, then promptly died to the big guy and game over. other than that the game was just constantly annihilating us. Sometimes we wouldn't even make it to the truck yard lol. usually we would die there though.

Keep playing rookie mode, going through rookie will give you cards to get through veteran and you absolutely need them.

The rookie mode gets harder later on. Not hard enough that my group is challenged regularly (although there was a really funny split up moment).

Actually fake edit, i'll upload it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RmyIu3fanc

But yeah, i've played about 3 hours and we're just getting to the middle of act 3 now.

Mailer posted:

ADS feels like it takes a week to come up.

There are perks for this. Pretty much every "my character isn't good at x thing" is a card you can draw.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yo, you mentioned during the beta that the "damage" stat was misleading and, actually, the scar was always a torso one-tap regardless of rarity; do you know if that's still the case?

Yeah, except now the numbers are less ridiculous. I think its just DPS now. The scar is still a torso one tap, rarity doesn't really seem to be a thing anymore. The "rare" weapons just have more attachments but you can very much use the same gun the entire time and just upgrade attachments to stay competitive.

I haven't hit nightmare yet but we'll see if that remains true when i get there.

E: I'm currently playing "fat medic" where my whole thing is that i barely take trauma damage, but can barely sprint due to all the supplies i'm carrying. I don't think its competitive but its fun and good enough for vet, lol.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 13, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are all the special infected still just bullet sponges?

Kind of? If you spec into killing special infected you can pop them incredibly quickly, i've got a friend who'll reliably pop them before they even get to us, whereas with my tank build it takes an entire AA-12 mag to down a tallboy.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Unrelated: it’s very confusing that every single special seems to share the same silhouette with a different special, but consistent enough that it feels like it has to be intentional. why would they do that?

At least the sound cues are playing now so if you listen to the characters shout they'll tell you what type it is, but yeah its very weird. That's the one lesson i thought they'd have learned from L4D.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you go to nightmare you'll definitely want to go with your pre-determined meta builds but also people who play the hardest difficulty in co-op games and die on level 2 over and over again are weird so gently caress em :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Corbeau posted:

It really isn't L4D.

This is where i've gotten to.

It doesn't want to be L4D. It certainly has hordes, but the ridden are actually loving dangerous, so it can't throw them at you like L4D does. The cards are there for you to break the game over your knee in weird ways and really change up how you play, which is something L4D doesn't do.

On the Scar note, after playing some more, later colour guns do actually do more damage, I found a purple scar that did more, but I didn't want to swap it out as I already had all purple and an orange attachments on my base one. Not sure the attachment system is that great right now.

WhiteHowler posted:

I am too, but the devs definitely ramped up the Veteran difficulty since the beta, and I'm not loving that.

During the beta my regular co-op group played on Veteran and was able to clear everything, though we did have a couple of wipes. It generally felt difficult but fair.

Did you have cards for both? Cards absolutely alleviate it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Corbeau posted:

The weapon stats lie bigtime, yeah.

I don't think they do, i think its raw DPS (although i'd love for them to rename firepower so I actually knew), so the faster firing guns feel weak because they take multiple hits to take something down, but your average zombie only has like 15 health so the lower firepower guns that fire slower are usually above the breakpoint. I picked up a higher power M4 and took two torso hits to kill a regular zombie, but picking up my old scar did one, because its a chunkier shooter.

Corbeau posted:

Like when the game says "gently caress you" and spawns three bruisers at once it feels really good to blow all three up with a single grenade.

Also flashbangs for bosses are underrated. If you flash a breaker and sit on it with an AA12, even without damage cards you'll chunk off like a quarter off its HP.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

relatively little thing, but another confusing omission: In L4D2, if a bullet hits a zombie and penetrates it does not do friendly fire or set off alarms on the other side of the enemy, even though it can still do damage if it hits another enemy. this is good because it means you don't have to guess how much something will penetrate or worry about hitting something you can't see. In just my short time with B4B, I've already triggered 3 alarms with a bullet that passed through a zombie and hit a door or car that was obscured by it.

We actually managed to trigger the birds while we were underground at the lab. Bullet pen is a pain in the rear end. I have at least enjoyed standing on the opposite side of an alarm door and firing an unsuppressed gun though, just so the zombie breaks it and doesn't set the alarm off.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

explosivo posted:

I think Ridden is fine? :shrug:

Yeah, griping at "oh the zombies aren't called zombies" is a big lol. Who loving cares.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ShootaBoy posted:

People care because so much stuff feels the weird need to put up a special name and spend ages dancing around the zombies being zombies, like anyone gives a poo poo anymore if you're being generic. Just call them fuckin' zombies, cause I sure as hell am not gonna call them whatever dumbass word is being used in-media.

And yet people are completely fine with L4D being called infected :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think you're vastly overestimating the abilities of the average gamer, 90% of the quick play matches i joined on recruit while i was experimenting with cards had people with gently caress all money, and in the later stages of the game (the constant mine spawning is a trap that gets everyone) getting overwhelmed by every single horde.

Ended up clearing most of act 3 with a single other dude who was really thankful that I showed him where everything was.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 15, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Xaris posted:

Recruit IS really easy. we even had two of the dumbest PS4 console players ever who barreled ahead, managed to set off every door and car alarm possible (like literally every one, except birds, for some reason they were smart enough not to set off birds??), who never bought team upgrades, who only rushed ahead to hoover up attachments (wihout even looking at them, i managed to snag some of their better weapons when they instantly swapped it as soon as a chest opened and before they realized they hosed up), we were all completely confused on act 2 and spent far too long trying to find the exit on some of the maps, and we still won without breaking much of a sweat.

the only act i actually lost on recruit was act4 but that was because two of us got telefragged by the boss tail's hitbox that just instant kills you to completely dead state if you touch it, and a boomer knocked the other two into the tail shortly after after they tried to defib us.

that said most of the games difficulty even in recruit comes down to spawning RNG: do we spawn 12 back-to-back bruisers in a tiny building where you can't kite, or do we just spawn a bunch of harmless webbers and the lure boomers instead?.

You've been on a gaming forum for 15 years and from the sounds of it, you know how these types of games are played. Two of you can probably clear recruit so long as you don't get special'd.

The average gamer can't and i've noticed that in just about every qp game i've played. poo poo, vermintides easy difficulty can be played practically blindfolded by me and yet most of the people on there still go down immediately when a horde comes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

On Xbox at least, being in party chat doesn't stop you from being heard in game chat, since they record all player audio.
I would assume discord doesn't bypass that either

The Australians are fine at least, no company can use an average aussie sentence in marketing, which is what i assume this is for.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Xaris posted:

offensive item builds are also hilariously good. if you want to just break the game over it's knees, grab money grubber, copper scavenger, +1 team offensve slot, +2 offense slots, +1 offense slots, +100% explosive damage + DR, +75% explosive damage, +50% explosive damage, loadup on frags constantly. it takes like 4 grenades to pop a boss on vet, 1-2 frags to kill a hag. and a "delete pack of tallboys" on command button.

also the 100% explosive damage gives it an electrical effect for no apparent reason? i dont know if anyone else noticed that

Yup, the special spawns make a lot of sense when you can start just deleting big packs without really thinking about it, especially when grenades are cheap.

Bonus, give someone the 10% money added at the end of a level card and have everyone drop their cash for them at each safe room, then divide it up after. It easily adds up to a couple of extra items per area.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

If they aren't specifically the kind that sound the alarm no matter what, you can kill them before they shout, if you're careful.

You can also just huck a nade at them, its an instant kill which is useful in a pinch.

I truly think most teams should just have a dedicated hand nade dude. Pipe bombs are kind of overrated except for a couple of events but being able to go "ah gently caress, crusher" and just annihilate it on the spot is pretty nice. They really chunk down bosses too, solo'd a hag with some last night.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A lot of them have tons of foreshadowing and everyone just misses it. During the mine level it explicitly tells you to not get bogged down and keep moving because you won't be able to fight them all off. Everyone just ignores it.

So yeah, a big flashing "RUN, YOU IDIOT" would be cool.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ASenileAnimal posted:

i played some of act 1 on gamepass and i dont see how anyone gets through this without the card that gives you health for melee kills. also it really feels like the game just spawns stuff directly behind you all the time and its kinda bullshit.

A lot of us have cards that give us temp health for stuff. Our dedicated melee has a card that gives everyone nearby (including her) temp health when she kills a zombie in melee, so we can usually afford to take a few hits.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think my issue with pipe bombs is that I can do the same thing with four firecrackers, a bit of ammo and save myself like 800 copper. There's a couple exceptions, mine shaft pipe bombs can work in a pinch if you're out of hand grenades in a way that firecrackers can't.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ShootaBoy posted:

I especially don't get what the hell makes that water instantly fatal, yet other edges in the game are absurdly sensitive and will yank you into the "oh no ive fallen and cant get up" animation from 6 feet away.

In game lore, the water is full of worms. The same worms that makes ridden. The worms get mentioned in the cinematic and the worms in the water gets mentioned while playing.

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's a smasher, a grabber, and I think a charger? Regardless the differences are if they hit you or grab you, which determines where their weak points are. The smasher has it on his shoulder, the grabber has it on his face, and it doesn't really become apparent til he grabs someone

I thought this at first, but it really doesn't change how you fight them, just how you're punished for not fighting them, with the notable exception being the stalker/jockey thing. I don't think this is a good thing, but w/e

ShootaBoy posted:

I also hate this part of the specials. If you're gonna give them giant weakpoints and make me shoot them, don't keep them entirely hidden until someone is taking unavoidable damage. That's just being a dick when they're already tough to kill at times.

Wait until they start armouring the weak points.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We usually just get our "not killy" player to shoot at the hag first, then delete it as its trying to chow down.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZeusCannon posted:

So when its just sitting on the only path its just an L then. Aiiight.

No, you just open up as a group or huck a nade at it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If someone has an open mic i'm just assuming their pings are garbage and ignoreable anyway.

Before someone mentions it, yes, that is indeed, the joke

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ridden have 20 health, so anything that does over that for standards or over 25 for the tanky one's. I can't remember quite the percentage you'll need but you can gently caress about in the practice range and it'll give you actual numbers.

Scar does about 25 so maybe its falloff?

E: Actually looked at it for more than a couple of seconds, i guess now you need it to be blue with decent attachments to one tap the tanky ridden now. Interesting to know. I haven't really noticed all that much because i'm usually running the % bonus with rifles perk if going to aim for the scar. So in theory you could get by with a blue scar + perk + 20% damage, if it works like that.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 20, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd just take a melee weapon because the combat knife seems to get rid of your ability to shove, which always, always fucks me if i don't have it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i went back and played through L4D, both games. I had a fun night but i've already uninstalled them. The people who really love L4D and in the same post slate the gunplay of B4B are insane

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pharmaskittle posted:

This happens to me a ton. I'll quickplay into a game in the middle of an act and be allowed to draw my entire deck plus like another ten generic upgrade cards.

I got the opposite, quickplay'd into the end of act 1 and it gave me zero cards. Kinda weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

marshmallow creep posted:

Copper Collector and Money Grubber are really good. Last few times I played with those cards, I was able to afford both team upgrades by myself and still have money to spare. It's real nice.

I'm actually convinced most teams should start off with 4x copper scavenger, as apparently it stacks. That and the 10% interest card alone should keep you fully topped off money wise the entire run.