Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

New beta starts tommorow.

Also why is this thread so dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Beta is pretty fun.

People in the official discord are incredibly salty.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mailer posted:

The people I'd potentially be playing this with don't play on PC and don't have beta access. Is there a way I'm missing to not touch the pubstove and play solo? I quickly ran through the options this morning but it seemed like even setting games to Closed still plunks you in with randoms from PSN or something.

There is an option somewhere in preferences for it but it appears to be currently disabled. I'm going to guess the major point of this beta is to test matchmaking.

EDIT: So I wanted to make a somewhat critical post to address some of the impressions I agreed with and some I didn't WRT to this game.

The biggest complaint I've been seeing is that the game "Has no soul" or "Just doesn't feel engaging" and the like. I hate these kinds of criticisms as much as I understand them, they're infuriating because they say absolutely nothing. Like they're valid in so far as a piece of art is supposed to make you feel something and games are a piece of art but it's extraordinarily non-specific. I think if I were to try to crack that open there are definitely some areas that need help.

In that bucket I'd put 'level design'; Area 1-X is just a lot of hallways, tunnels, and small trees accented with concrete and I gotta say as someone who as played a lot of games my brain parses that as just rectangles and boxes. The ship, otoh, is interesting and exciting. The flesh barn and flesh house are equally interesting. If anything I'd say that B4B has some interesting ideas but they string together their cool encounters with a lot of empty roads and such which is loyal to L4D but the model has been iterated on since then. Enemy design too falls into that bucket; the Bruiser my brain parses as scary and special but the others are just bricks. Also I think the game on the whole needs more color. There, that's why it feels like it's empty and has no soul. Oh also the sound design is very samey for enemies.

The second complain I see all the time is that the VS mode sucks and I can't speak to that at all. I played L4D for literal years and never played VS because it stressed me out so I'm going to shrug here and move on

The third complaint I see all over is that the game is 'too easy' to which I say lol you have played too much L4D game is as challenging as its competitors.

There are definitely bones to pick with the game but in terms of tweaking the character of the game they could do a lot with very little adjustment but time will tell if they bother.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 6, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

thewizardofshoe posted:

I actually think Versus Campaign is overated compared to Scavenge/Follow the Liter but I get why people love it. It does feel weird that they won't have it at all considering how much they're clearly designing around l4d otherwise. I hope they at least toss in some sort of objective based mode because if it's just sweaty Survival the PVP is likely gonna be DOA. I wouldn't care that much tbh but if they're gonna do it they should make sure people actually want to play it.

Yeah I agree with that too. I can't care less about PvP in these games, I think it's completely counter to the point, but if you're going to include it, it should be dedicated to your PvP diehards those are the only people interested in the mode. And they're incredibly easy to alienate as a group.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm honestly a fan of the game so far, though again a lot rides on whether or not the things I'm giving a free pass because Beta get fixed. I don't expect them to redesign maps or change core features but there is definitely some number balancing that needs to happen both above and below the hood; they could stand to balance some sounds and stings better; I think changed colors on some of the specials would be nice because they don't stand out very much, and so on.

My biggest gripe honestly is the 'punch'. L4D and Vermintide both made this a 'shove', which covered a cone (or 360 degrees in the case of Vermintide 2) and was there to create breathing room. Here, it seems like a thing you do while you're reloading. There isn't really any tool to create space, which might be a design choice but it's a frustrating one. If it does hit some kind of arc, it's terribly small, because I've never noticed.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

That sums up perfectly one of the problems I'm having with B4B, it's too easy to get swarmed by a bunch of Ridden and not really have any way of breaking out without wasting a bunch of ammo and losing a lot of health and it just makes big fights feel tedious and frustrating rather than exciting, probably not helped that there's a real lack of area denial tools compared to most other co-op shooters since most of the thrown offensive items have downright pathetic radius of effects(and this game's version of the Pipe Bomb is a lot rarer compared to L4D2)

Also everything procs ff. I think all melee shouldn't proc ff but if it must, the punch/knife should be the free tool you use to clean zeds off your friends.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TenTonHammer posted:

I think the reason it pissed me off the most is, I've had this happen before with other games, but it was fixed pretty quickly the other two times. I don't know what happened on this one but it was just an utter failure all the way around.

This is a dumb question but did you try to contact turtle Rock rather than amazon?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fishstick posted:

This game flew under my radar for most of development but Coop games are my jam and I managed to snag 2 beta keys. It's ok, I guess? Most of my major issues have already been iterated and maybe I'm just spoiled from Vermintide/DRG or if its the difficulty but the hordes are just tiny? Like 2 dozen zombies is not a horde.

Specials just seem bland? They don't stand out and at least on the starter difficulty outside of the bruiser or getting pinned, dont seem much of a threat. L4D's specials had super recognizable silhouttes and sound cues, here it's just... more grey guys but these have red spots. Player charactesr are the same, halfway the map everyone is covered in grey gore and it became really hard (for me, at least) to pick survivors from zombies

These are also essentially my gripes. I don't mind the hoard sizes - on veteran and nightmare what they throw at you is more than enough to be challenging - but I don't think the game is 'easy'. I've played a lot of L4D/2, DRG, and Vermintide 1/2, so while I don't claim to be pro-gamer extraordinaire I do think I'd know if I was just being bad and I think they are pretty challenging. Granted, Veteran/Nightmare is challenging in a fairly bullshit way, e.g., there's basically no way to clear zeds off your body without an ally shooting you a few times in the process, so you're always taking some chip damage if you like it or not. Healing cards are therefore super good.

The specials *are* bland though. The bruiser stands out because it's loving 8 feet tall and has a club for an arm, but all the others might as well just be zombies in different t-shirts for all the variety they offer. I feel like adjusting the model size to make them more extreme would help - make the retches even bigger, make the spitters even smaller, more slender-man-y, adjust the colors.

I think the game is pretty fun, and I am sort of lol'ing at the extreme visceral reaction to the game at this point but then again I don't really think the game is finished. That might be naïve of me but I don't really mind being disappointing either, I'll react when it happens.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The sound and enemy differentiation are definately on my shortlist of problems that I think can be solved before release.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Swilo posted:

As someone who played entirely too many hundreds of hours of versus in l4d and l4d2 I did not have too much hope going into this based on how much the devs talk up all the systems that randomize every playthrough, and boy did they deliver. It's got basically every crap fps gimmick of the past 20 years haphazardly tacked on to the l4d formula and does nothing to explain any of them.

The lack of campaign versus is just the icing on the cake.

I've said before I have no interest in VS and I don't completely understand the raw anger fans feel forwards Swarm mode but otoh I don't know who the gently caress it was designed for because it's not for me and it's not for the VS fans so I'm real confused who they thought their audience was.

Odd question: How does Quickplay actually like... work?

Sometimes I spawn in, pick a bot to possess, finish the level, and get the pick a character, a deck, and draw X number of cards, where X is presumably the number of draws I 'missed'. Other times, I join game, possess bot, finish level... and then continue playing the same character, with some kind of phantom default deck that is not one I would ever choose on purpose with cards I have never added to a deck. Also, I feel like I always join in 4x2 or 4x3, I assume that's where everybody quits for some reason?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Verviticus posted:

i cant imagine spending more than like 4 hours in a l4d style game without campaign versus

I have hundreds of hours in these sorts of games. VT doesn't even have vs.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bruisers would be way more tolerable if their weak point were larger and on their backs.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've been in multiple games where the other players tried to wait out the bridge event instead of running across it, even with me screaming "YOU HAVE TO RUN ACROSS THE BRIDGE" in text chat. I can't decide if this is a design problem or people are idiots.

There's a similar event in a later level with the same problem.

It's actually a pretty simple design problem, you've trained people with prior events to hold out until you can move on. The game should be more explicit when you're expected to run. Endless hoards should have some kind of callout besides voicelines.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I like the game. I still don't think I would pay $60 for it, but I do like it.

I think it's aggressively bad at onboarding new people (so far). It's funny because the survey they attached to it asks a lot of questions about, "is this confusing? what about this?" and the issue is not that things are *confusing*, it's that the game just doesn't tell you stuff. Take trauma, for instance. The game does not tell you that trauma exists. I was trying to be the group medic so I had to google it and there is contradictory information about what heals trauma (it turns, out, only wall-kits do, maybe there's a card for it later?) I've been playing almost exclusively with newbs for a few days and tons of people keep trying to heal because it isn't obvious to them that trauma is the reason their health is low, or where the trauma came from, or that they can't heal it. There's no reason for this to be unexplained, but it isn't hard to explain. It's not confusing. It just wasn't explained.

I think they should have put a few build-defining cards into the starter pool instead of a bunch of mediocre catchall stuff. I think that would have prepared people better for how the game evolves.

Specials are still dull, I agree with that, the fact that there is in essence only 3 of them contributes to that. I think they believed they found a cheap way to get six but really my brain is never going to parse it as more than three. There are some cards that affect them later and I could live with the three if the card mutators did more than give them more health and damage.

I actually quite like the game's graphics and it plays nice enough for me. I don't think the guns feel bad, and I don't know if that's because I don't play enough shooters to appreciate good gunfeel or what. Levels also hold my interest, though it is clear the designers phoned it in whenever they had to connect two sections of map.

The game doesn't offer you a lot of tools for dealing with the zombie chip damage problem, which is also going to be a major source of frustration for many players. The game's director is much more aggressive on Veteran/Nightmare and the long 'standing around' moments that happen on easy are less frequent there. You get hit and there's not a lot you can do about it. Vermintide had shove/block/dodge, L4D had it's shove, but there's no tool for self correction in B4B. I found punching at least twice modestly effective at getting zeds off of me but it still takes a second to come out and has no AOE to speak of. When we moved up to Veteran I just made it my job to run around clearing zombies off of my friends and that made things a lot easier.

Overall I'd say the game is fun and I would play it, but not for $60 and I'd really want to see what kind of lifecycle these guys have in mind for this game. VT2 for instance is a great game almost in spite of itself, but its developers are notorious for just like, evaporating for 9 months with no word only to appear again with an expansion that has a 50/50 chance of being garbage. If the devs are going to be actively tinkering with the game I'm here for it, but I don't want to see them squeeze out a battlepass and then return to a hut in the mountains to meditate for another year because that's not worth the asking price.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Some of the later cards (or maybe mid tier cards? I can't really tell how far in I am) are uh, kind of important, and it's pretty ridiculous how much the game buries the lead on some of them.

I just unlocked the Clinic supply line for the first time. One of the cards makes you immune slash makes it so you don't deal friendly fire while crouched. Another one appears to heal you for 100% of what you healed someone else for.

Like both of those are pretty build defining. I still have yet to find a way to heal someone else's trauma damage though.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think they looked at a list of things they wanted to change/improve about L4D and then did all of them without first thinking about how those changes would then interact with each other.

Like, the card system is maybe theoretically fine. But, the way you grind for cards is by doing runs. If you just added the card system into L4D right now, I think it would be fine. Runs are quick and casual, so it's no big deal to hammer out some levels for some upgrade currency. But then you look at the run system in B4B where games skew toward the very difficult side, and now grinding sounds like poo poo. That streamer group last night finally beat Act 1 at the seven hour mark. Like...I'm not playing the same four maps for seven hours in a row when failing a map doesn't give me any currency. Playing Survivor difficulty gives you almost nothing - I got maybe 35 mats for clearing three stages, so not even a single cards worth. So if you actually want any upgrades, which I'm going to say you absolutely need a kitted out deck to play Nightmare, you HAVE to spend a ton of time grinding out the slow maps of Veteran mode.

I mean if you're doing runs for supply points you're not going to do them on Nightmare. And that sounds like a small amount of points I usually have like 100 even on easy after like 4 maps. I think speed running might tank points in some way but I'm not sure.

I think most of the games grind will take place on vet once people get reasonably good.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've never managed to clear the first three maps without someone quitting which then leaves us completely crippled for the fourth map, and if you die there it's like 100% that everyone leaves

On what difficulty? I can definitely see this being the case on vet, and nightmare is actively impossible with bots.

Vet seems to get easier with more cards but still gets sorta bullshit some times.

EDIT: In what is another questionable design choice, the optimal way to farm cards right now is to quickplay join easy matches and quit almost immediately after.

If you're attempting to do a complete Act I run on Vet (or even Survivor) you're going to have this problem because most people don't have the two hours to run the act, and it's much more optimal to do short quickplay runs than it is to do a complete act. This will probably continue to be true until people get the cards they want, and you'll see more people playing the game for its own sake on Vet.

This is basically the exact same behavior we see in VT2 every time there's an influx of new players, people quick joining games, rapidly finishing, and quitting.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 13, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Senethro posted:

The quickplay option is terrible on any difficulty above lowest. Any game you join into has already been sunk by the terrible bots.

Oh yeah absolutely. This is why everyone does the quickplay grind trick on easy.

The bot AI seems like there's something fundamentally wrong with it and I can't tell if its complicated or simple. They almost always stand still when they fire, they don't know how to bust people out of spitter goop, they will stubbornly refuse to switch weapons if they run out of ammo (why is that even an option tbh, they should have infinite ammo), they can get stuck if they interact with something (which fortunately seems to only be deployed turrets, so don't deploy a turret if you have a bot in the game) and they sometimes don't trigger their catch-up teleport. They only saving grace is they don't seem to acquire trauma damage.

They should just make the bots never run out of ammo and do other cheat-y things to make the game easier when they're with you, they're literally never going to be as good as a person, even mediocre scrubs are fine at this game. Actually now that I think about it, the only pub behavior that gets me killed is refusing to rush objectives during endless hoards, I don't even care if they startle birds or whatever. Pubs are always better than bots, that's probably a bad sign.

Bardeh posted:

Do we really need to see our starter card every single map? The whole process with the cards could be sped up quite a bit, and they need to let you do your shopping once you're ready, instead of waiting for everyone.

Yeah I'm confused by this choice as well. It was helpful exactly once when I forgot which of my seven decks I have equipped, but it seems like that would be better served by just... showing you which one you have equipped.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

Yeah, it definitely seems like it's intended more for friend play since they have a feature built in for you to save your campaign state and pick up where you left off if you play with the same group of people.

Definitely agree with a lot of the criticism about the game being bland, it just doesn't have the same charm that L4D/L4D2 had. If it was cheaper I might consider picking it up to play with friends, but not $60.

Yeah same. It feels like an excellent beer and pretzels game. Wish it was cheaper.

EDIT: Theorcrafting, it seems like the two or three skills that heal trauma damage are kind of a trap. I have definitely been reduced to 40-60 health on harder runs but best case scenario you can get FA kits to heal 10 trauma and heal an additional 10 trauma at the start of the map. So at best if you pour all of your resources into one person, who also happens to have the latter card, they're healing 50 trauma, which is awesome but the cost is immense to do that.

OTOH there are like 3-4 ways to grant team temp hp that are pretty easy to fulfill.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 14, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There are still so many little things that I don't completely understand.

Take for instance, Quickplay. Leaving aside joining a map in progress, which itself is arcane and weird, lets say you join a map at the start. You get to pick a character (usually, except when the game makes you play a specific character), and then pick a deck (again, usually, assuming it doesn't skip the deck picking portion and just forces you to play a generic deck). Then you get to your cards played page. The most common behavior is that you get X number of card picks where X is how many you would have missed since the start of the match... but then, sometimes not. Sometimes you get only one card pick, and the rest of those slots are filled with generics (Wounded Animal, Extra Life, etc). Sometimes, and this one is even weirder, it splits the difference between generic cards and free picks. Then you load the level. Sometimes you have money, sometimes you don't.

I don't understand how one system can be so inconsistent, I have no idea what the intended behavior is, and if this is caused by a bug or not.

Trauma is an interesting mechanic now that I understand how it works a little better but the game explains it not at all to you and virtually everyone I've seen seems to not understand it either. Pubs love to try to heal it over and over, which is interesting. Then I keep seeing the opposite behavior, where people refuse heal their regular damage despite an abundance of healing items. This latter bit is an interesting (albeit, bad and unintended) bit of game design. Trauma seems to more readily stick to you when you've suffered damage, and health items honestly don't heal all that much, so people sit on health items that wouldn't even top them off and accumulate a ton of trauma besides. I'm not sure if this is because healing items in co-op shooters are more optimally used after you've been downed, and people are coming in with expectations from other games; or if they just forget they have bandages or whatever.

TLDR: use your healing items more frequently.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The money system is especially dumb because I'm not sure...what it's for. Like, I would assume it's to minimize RNG loving you over by giving you a way to ensure you get something you need via the shop, but the shops are also randomized to a point where it's no more reliable than anything else in the game. You can use them on med cabinets, but again, those are randomized too. Just do the Killing Floor thing where shops have every weapon in them and you have to make an economy decision about whether so save up or spend

I dunno I don't think it's so bad. It's just another chance to get what you might want and it seems okay at that.

I have noticed people getting very specific about what guns and attachments they like and I think that's going to cause frustration in this game because yeah, you're going to have runs where you just don't find the poo poo you want.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 14, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Senethro posted:

Haven't made it past the first ogre on nightmare yet.

Some of the corruption cards on NM really change the way you play. I've had both SWAT armored zombies and Acid Blood zombies.

I like that aspect of the game but I wish you saw more of the corruption cards on lower difficulties. Like you go from having almost no modifiers on Survivor to Veteran, where the final map of Act I has the game literally making GBS threads out corruption cards at you during play, with no step in between to indicate that can happen. I think if they sprinkled in a variety of corruption cards on Survivor that would be cool.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Anyone have any tips they want to share?

Keeping 400 copper on hand for the first aid seems like a big deal to me; I don't know of any better way to remove Trauma Damage.

My favorite throwable is the pipe bomb; no other grenade will buy you space and time like it.

Sure I've played a bit of it:

* The best way to heal trauma damage is not to get any. Trauma damage compounds when leaving your healthbar unhealed, so don't wait until you get a down before using a bandage or pills. USE YOUR HEALING STUFF. The only way besides wall kits are certain cards (I think there are two?) that remove a very small amount (10?)

* On the subject of healing: Pills are basically the best healing item and doubly so if you're specced at all into support. They're quick to deploy, temp health runs over trauma, and if people are taking that much damage they're probably just going to take it again anyway. You can also deploy them on other people which, coming from L4D where you have to hand them to other people first, was a surprise. This is also a great way to prevent more trauma.

* I see way too many people getting owned by chip damage from basic infected. Keep your head on a swivel and don't rely on your team to clear enemies off of you unless you're in a stack. Only trust your fists, pubs will never help you.

* As far as keeping trash off of you, a lot of the L4D strategies apply here. Keep your back to a wall, don't stand out in the open, if you must stand out in the open, keep an eye out for incoming zombies and advance slowly, checking your back and sides whenever possible. If you do get a Zed in your face, punch him twice; just hold the button down like a second longer than normal. This usually hits any secondary zeds you didn't see when you first started waving your hands around.

* Pipe bombs are great and your friend. Frags can pretty easily chunk specials though, and are very useful for that. If you can coordinate try to get a mix of the two.

* I seem to get more supply points on the first full map completion I get on Quickplay. If you don't have any dedicated role decks yet start by doing this to get some good cards.

* While we're on the subject, I can't stress enough how much easier some of the middle-late tier cards make the game, they completely alter gameplay. If you're hitting a wall you probably don't have a decent set of cards.

* Stun guns are much better than they appear and are a great way to prevent a wipe.

* Never just go toe to toe with tallboys of either variety, it's just a death sentence. Like on Survivor you probably can and I'm sure everyone has a clutch story of doing so but for the most part if you're in a tiny shack and you see two or more of these guys on top of you, you need help. So don't get yourself into that situation because you can't just hose your way out of that.

* Melee is good but you need several cards for it. Thankfully some of the decent ones are starter cards. I got through the first curve of my cards by melee-vampire-ing my way to victory. The fire ax is probably the best melee weapon for new players; melee has surprisingly little stagger so if you don't kill you're going to take more chip damage. Ax delivers a chop straight to the head and on easy will kill more or less instantly. Just watch your stamina. Or play Holly.

* Somebody should have a tool kit. Stashes aren't always worth it but they often are and usually at least pay for themselves.

* The card pool is not random and I believe appears in the order you have listed in your deck. You can change the order by dragging cards up or down the list. At the very least, the first five cards are assured, but I think it might be the whole deck.

In general much like L4D you don't want to heal your way to victory, if you find yourself running out of health constantly you need to adjust your play. I've seen players on Survivor getting a full bar of Trauma (which I think is max health reduced to 45?) and it's going to cost you a lot of money to get out of that hole.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 14, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Did a playthrough of the campaign on survivor difficulty while waiting for some friends, and I don't know if it was the difficulty or not, but the 4-4 finale was an absolute wet fart.
The entire level basically just involved me and the one remaining pubbie walking back and forth to the gun to load it, while a single zombie waddled out from some nearby ruins every 5 seconds or so, it was pretty anticlimatic.

Did a run through most of the campaign on veteran later, and while it was definitely more fun with friends (what isn't), I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out 60 bucks for this.

That finale is one of the places where difficulty is stupid because the vet version plays completely differently. It might still be unsatisfying, tastes vary, but it's so weird that you don't get get actual intent on easy.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

It was so weird, the levels before it weren't exactly difficult, but they at least tried to throw enemies at you. During the finale I was legit wondering if the AI director had just broken or something, basically nothing was happening.

Also had an issue earlier where both me and the pubbie got jumped by specials at the same time, and the bots just ran up and stood next to use until one of us got downed, whereupon the bots revived them so they could clear out the surrounding horde and get me up.

So, I doubt this spoils anything, so here goes: On Vet that act finale is very, very different. Like, again, people are still going to say it's easy or that they hate it and I won't try to argue with that because I have no interest in telling someone their taste is wrong, but I can confirm for you that the easy version is way too easy.

On Vet, the game shits ridden and specials on you, as it has been throughout the act on Vet. It also does this thing where each wave or two it plays another corruption card that enhance the specials. Sometime around wave 3, it throws an Ogre at you. And I think there's six waves on vet, rather than 5.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

How's this game?

It's fine.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vet is much more manageable with cards, I can't stress that enough, and playing solo is basically not an option, so you're going to feel even shittier at the game with bots than you do with pubbies if that's possible. I think they could stand to make Veteran less challenging or at least train the director to stop kicking you when you're down so much, that seems like a major issue with the game's AI.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Back 4 Blood - I didn't think it was possible to get too much attention!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's fine. It's not $60 fine, but it's fine. L4D2 is a modern masterpiece that married very elegant design choices to a smart game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

$60 + season passes

I don't really give a poo poo how they monetize their game post launch; I'm not going to play it competitively and am capable of judging the quality of the content I have versus what I could have.

On that basis alone it's just not worth $60.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I enjoyed this game in beta.

I did not 60$ enjoy it.

That is an absurd price and the fact that there's no 4 pack option is even dumber. I'd have handed them like at least 180 for for 4 pack probably.

I'm waiting out for 40 or under.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Why cant I swap mods on guns?

I think they wanted to avoid a situation where players spent ages min maxing mods on their guns.

Except the way it is now that happens anyway the moment you find one on the ground.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

How is quickplay mid match "supposed" to work anyway? In the beta I noticed some or all of the following behaviors:

* pick a bot to possess. During this time you have no perks at all. OR join and possess a bot previously played by another character and have all their perks. Or just start in the safe room half a map behind the other players.

* during intercession get prompted to play a character. Or sometimes not.

* get your character perk and "free" card picks equivalent to the level from my chosen deck to catch me up. Or get no card picks. Or get an appropriate number of card picks but they're all from some super generic deck I didn't make (probably the default)

I have no idea what's intended and what's a bug.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like instead of having corruption cards be the default it would have been cooler to make them some sort of risk/reward thing. Like, just give people the option to play with no cards for very little cash, or stack 10 on at once and make the game insanely hard but you get a bunch of money if you hit the safe house.

Alternately a chance to reroll would be nice. Even if it was just once per checkpoint or whatever. You can just do it anyways by backing out and restarting, just save me the 3 minutes it takes to set a new game up.

The only problem with a press your luck mechanic would be trying to manage it with pubs, I feel like you'd never make everybody happy with that outcome.

It does feel like a miss opportunity design wise though like why even have cards if the player has no control over them.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm having trouble coping with the pace of the game when I find weapons/attachments in the field, but don't have the time to really examine pros and cons of weapon type, ammo type, relative power, attachments gained and lost, and how that will affect the playthrough, when the game won't stop for a second to let me get my bearings. We have specials coming at us nonstop, chipping away on health and ammo, while we work through the calculus. Many times I hosed myself over by grabbing a primary and secondary weapon that uses the same ammo, or picking up a gun that didn't mesh with my chosen cards, etc. because I felt rushed as hell. I've died many times in loot rooms I unlocked with a toolkit.

In the safe rooms it works out OK because you can sit in the shop as long as you need, although choice is limited.

I feel like they jammed together the fast-pace gaming of a run and gun shooter, which I enjoy, but pasted in a Borderlands or RPG style of loot and attachments (with the added humor of green/blue/purple etc.) that is best enjoyed when you have a minute or two to breathe and work out what you're going to carry.

How are you guys coping with that? Do you have any rules of thumb you follow or are you just fast enough to make those snap decisions on the fly?

I mean mostly beta experience here but

The loot pool is pretty limited. After a few runs you get better at comparing gun types and there are some you're just never going to take. Also you're not going to lose a run because you did or did not take an attachment. Stakes are low.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

not just saying this because you're one of my regular b4b group, but good writeup

Agreed.

I just hope once the community does the same math we don't have people obsessed over getting the "best" guns. It can already be a game of "everybody races to the gun box".

With pubs in the beta I would deliberately let them take whatever they wanted first and make due with the leftovers which was actually kind of fun.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

On the deck thing the game actively confuses the issue by making a big deal of your first card always being your starter card, as if it's unique in that regard.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pretty good breakdown but I'm not sure how essential "constant communication" really is. My experience from beta and rat fight 2 tells me most communication basically boils down to, "let me have that, it's mine, I want it", "come back, don't run off", and, "shut up."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I got through a big chunk of Veteran due to a team that coordinated REALLY specific instructions on holdout points for horde events. It makes a big difference.

Idk to be honest I hate being given orders by strangers ymmv. I don't mean this as a dickpost it's probably my own personality flaws I tend to just follow somebody around and I do alright.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I just joined into a game where I spawned as Holly... And the Holly bot didn't disappear. I also spawned all the way back at the beginning of the level, while the other 3 players were halfway through the level. So I had to run through a totally empty level with no spawns to get to them. And from then on we just had 4 players and 1 bot.

Quickplay is truly hosed. It's really just frustrating at this point.

It makes me laugh because literally every quickplay aberration and variation I witnessed in the beta, I reported, and they're all still there.

I know I've said it before but I'm not even clear how quickplay is "supposed" to work. I have some theories but they're mostly based on how I think it should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Quickplay continues to be messed up. Consistently messed up at least, but messed up.

I haven't played a single game where I didn't immediately draw like 20-35 cards upon entering an Act 1 quickplay map, I'm talking every match for the last 10 matches or so.

Also why are pubbies so uniquely awful at this game. Like I know the old mantra about not touching the stove but this game seems to attract a very special kind of bad. I'm talking, "hasn't mastered WASD/Control Stick" level of bad.