Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Maybe it's just because I'm playing on PS4 but so far it honestly just feels really half baked compared to L4D2(or other games in the genre like Vermintide 2 or Killing Floor 2) in basically every regard and also has that problem a lot of co-op shooters fall into these days by doing lots of things that add difficulty just for the sake of making it harder rather than it actually being enjoyable to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So having played some more it's overall feeling less jank than my first try, but still feels incredibly inconsistent regarding difficulty in a way that detracts from the overall experience including what's probably my biggest overall issue with the game; the Ridden are honestly both boring as enemies(as they are very stupid in a way that was acceptable enough back in LFD2 but feels antiquated in a bad way for a game being released in 2021*) and often obnoxious to fight too(the melee hit detection for them is a bit bullshit in both directions), Mutated in particular just plain suck to fight(the whole weak point system just makes them a chore to kill) especially those really tall ones with the club arms cause they take way too much effort to kill and deal way too much damage too, if they show up during a horde event(which I also have problems with in general) in a cramped enough area than you're basically hosed particularly if more than one shows up

*indeed that's an overarching issue with the game, it feels too much like a game from 2009 in a lot of bad ways

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I'm honestly a fan of the game so far, though again a lot rides on whether or not the things I'm giving a free pass because Beta get fixed. I don't expect them to redesign maps or change core features but there is definitely some number balancing that needs to happen both above and below the hood; they could stand to balance some sounds and stings better; I think changed colors on some of the specials would be nice because they don't stand out very much, and so on.

My biggest gripe honestly is the 'punch'. L4D and Vermintide both made this a 'shove', which covered a cone (or 360 degrees in the case of Vermintide 2) and was there to create breathing room. Here, it seems like a thing you do while you're reloading. There isn't really any tool to create space, which might be a design choice but it's a frustrating one. If it does hit some kind of arc, it's terribly small, because I've never noticed.

That sums up perfectly one of the problems I'm having with B4B, it's too easy to get swarmed by a bunch of Ridden and not really have any way of breaking out without wasting a bunch of ammo and losing a lot of health and it just makes big fights feel tedious and frustrating rather than exciting, probably not helped that there's a real lack of area denial tools compared to most other co-op shooters since most of the thrown offensive items have downright pathetic radius of effects(and this game's version of the Pipe Bomb is a lot rarer compared to L4D2)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TenTonHammer posted:

I'm already ready to give up on this game and I haven't even got to play the beta yet. I'm like everyone else, huge L4D fan, and got excited for this. Preordered it for ps5, and got my beta code from amazon on the 2nd. Didn't try to enter it till today. Says its already redeemed. Now I've been on amazon chat with reps trying to get a new code, and have been sent to over 8 different reps so far that just keep pawning me off to the next one. The current one I am talking to now just asked me to "return the game and re-order it". Like, wtf people, its a drat preorder and i need the code for this weekend.

Edit: Rep #9 now. As soon as I said its a preorder, I can't return it, that rep bailed on the chat forwarding me on again.

Edit #2: Rep number 12 now, been on chat for over 1 hour. Still getting nothing from these people.

Edit #3 Last One: Rep 13 finally got on there, looked over everything, and proceeded to tell me that they had to send a form to their Tech Department, and they would get back to me with a working code "within 4 business days". I normally hate when people do this, but I just went off on them, told them that I needed it for this weekend, and I'll cancel my order. They said "do you want us to cancel it for you?" so I just told them no, since no one else can do their job there, I'll do that too. loving hell all this hassle just to try a beta of a game I'm already seeing that I'll be hugely disappointed it. I guess this at least saved me the money on it.

Amazon are absolutely abysmal to deal with when it comes to digital content codes, I've had at least twice games I've bought from them that were missing codes(God Eater Rage Burst and Doom Eternal) and it just sucked to get it sorted out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will probably give it one more run with friends when the next beta phase begins but the verdict so far from me is: just play vermintide or deeprock for a modern 4 player co-op horde fighting game that are fun to play, or just play left4dead with mods because a 12 year old game is overall better designed.

Checking steam charts left 4 dead 2 still regularly has 26k players on per day which seems really high for a 12 year old game and I doubt back 4 blood will beat those numbers by the end of the year.

Or Killing Floor 2 for that matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The one that's claiming that L4D2 didn't age well is full of crap, booted it up last night for the first time in about two years and had a much more enjoyable time than I did with the B4B beta