Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I hope this will have a more traditional versus mode going through the actual campaign levels like L4D had since this survival thing looks okay but will probably not have the staying power L4D because of it.

Also based on the about 45 minutes of watching a streamer play the versus mode the meta is gonna be using the spitting guys and leveling up the slow down on the spit and just spitting on survivors over and over. Not much that can be done about it (at least until people start messing around with survivor builds and seeing how effective whatever counters they have might be)

All the gross monotization stuff is reminding me of Evolved. Why do Turtle Rock games always end up being marketed this way :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Managed to get a code and actually play a bit for myself last night and knowing now there will not be a campaign versus mode like left 4 dead makes me very sad but i guess the maps and the special infected aren't really designed around such a thing in the first place. The maps are too short and out of 9 total special infected only like 2 of them can actually incap people? The rest being combinations on the spitter/boomer/hunter are neat but no real mirror of the Smoker is bad, he was my favorite :(

Also maybe it's just a console thing (i'm playing on a base Xbox One) but the game looks kinda ugly when it's not these big open areas. The hotel you start out in everything just kinda looks bright and washed out like the brightness and contrast are up too high and everything looks like the textures haden't finished loading in yet. Also echoing the sentiment that the bots are terrible. L4D2's bots are pretty famously bad but if they don't make any changes these guys will completely outclass them in terms of just being completely useless other than being infinite ammo hoses.

Mendrian posted:

I'm honestly a fan of the game so far, though again a lot rides on whether or not the things I'm giving a free pass because Beta get fixed. I don't expect them to redesign maps or change core features but there is definitely some number balancing that needs to happen both above and below the hood; they could stand to balance some sounds and stings better; I think changed colors on some of the specials would be nice because they don't stand out very much, and so on.

My biggest gripe honestly is the 'punch'. L4D and Vermintide both made this a 'shove', which covered a cone (or 360 degrees in the case of Vermintide 2) and was there to create breathing room. Here, it seems like a thing you do while you're reloading. There isn't really any tool to create space, which might be a design choice but it's a frustrating one. If it does hit some kind of arc, it's terribly small, because I've never noticed.

Yes definitely! You use your punch/knife on the enemy right in front of you while the other 10 around you just get free hits that even on easy mode will take you down very fast. It feels kinda bad and makes me thankful that controller players get the option to have like super lock on aiming because you NEED to take these things down fast.

Perestroika posted:

Oof yeah, some of these special spawns are kinda hosed. We had like five Bruisers spawning on us back to back. Also not a huge fan of how the reduced max health persists between sections without a way to heal it even for currency in the starting area. Overall the PvE does seem quite solid though, and pretty replayable.

Also played one (1) round of PvP and it was very bad.

Try looking around the safe rooms again after everybody has loaded in and the level officially "starts" (you'll be able to use the supply crate to buy stuff) Somewhere on the wall is a tiny red first aid box that gives you a full refill on health that has 4 charges but it DOESN'T show up or is usable at all until the level officially starts. You can sometimes find them in the levels as well usually behind the doors you need a tool kit to open as well. I guess they are the replacement to the first aid cabinets in L4D but they are so much harder to notice.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Oh, those exist in the spawn room, too? We found them a couple of times in the locked special rooms, but I never thought to look in the spawn room, considering it's already got a healing option in the store right there.

I will have to play again sometime tonight to see what the difference between the 2 is exactly or if the first aid box is always in the safe rooms or not.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Senethro posted:

Is there any way to strip attachments and put them on your other gun?

You can go into a menu to drop ammo and items for your teammates so i assume you could drop attachments from your weapons there as well.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's not even the lack of a "real" versus mode that upsets me the most. The fact that they are doing an online only single player mode as well. So even if the multiplayer doesn't quite pan out then eventually you won't even be able to just pop the game in and do a quick few levels of the campaign for the fun of it even on your own!

I mean the devs are apparently going to try and find a way to get around that but i think the solution was to not make it online only to begin with.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Evolved had 2K as it's publisher and this game has WB so i don't know if Turtle Rock just keeps getting picked up by lovely publishers that do lovely monetization on top of a good base game or if L4D was mostly a fluke because they had help from Valve at the time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

We have moved passed such antiquated design decisions that made Left 4 Dead our most successful game in the first place, we are doing our own brand new thing now! But don't worry we still made it like Left 4 Dead so people will actually buy it, unlike Evolved, please don't remember how badly that game was bungled.

That'll be 60 dollars please.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's interesting to me that there is ALWAYS a Holly. Either because her ability is probably the best(outside of Mom's 1 time super revive) or because she's just got most stand out personality and the most visual appeal out of all the characters (IMO, she really kinda pops out more than the others do, even if they all end up looking the same covered in tons of blood by the midpoint of a level)

I can't really help but notice she's just wearing Ellis' colors though so maybe everybody just likes fem Ellis :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Evangelo's got the right idea after that story in the game.

Is it him or Hoffman that says the enemies are in trouble when puts bullets back into this gun? That's another good one too.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

That is the one thing i like as an addition to the old Versus formula! Being able to power up the special infected in various ways and the horde as well. I just wish the game made it more obvious it's a team based pooling of resources. You will occasionally see "player spent X amount of *ability* but that doesn't really tell you anything unless you go digging in the menu or happen to see an upgrade happen live in front of you"

When will these games get desperate enough to let you play as a regular rear end common infected in the horde yet anyway? It's bound to happen eventually :colbert: Then again the hordes aren't particularly big in this title so perhaps it's for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Hipfire accuracy on it's own isn't even that bad half the time so you can L4D it up if you want even without the card, it's jus that putting a scope on any gun is kind of unnecessary since it just slows you down and makes it harder to deal with crowds. Useful if you're the sniper guy trying to hit a special infected you somehow managed to notice out in the horde or is far away i guess.