Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bardeh posted:

I don't know if I (or my pubbie teammates) am just terrible, but the easiest difficulty setting is dull because there's no challenge, but the next one up is way, way harder to the point that we normally fail on 1-2 or 1-3.

This is exactly what my friend said about the game - easy is so easy you could probably win with only melee attacks, but even normal is way too hard for a group of casual players who weren't all on comms. I watched a streamer group play Hard mode and the game just looked absolutely impossible, they spent two hours on a single level and used all three continues and still couldn't get past stage 2. Doing an entire campaign looks like it would take so goddamn long, which is not appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

For what it's worth the game is going to be on Gamepass on release so I'll definitely at least try it then, but yeah not gonna pay 60$ for the beta access

It looks like the group I was watching spent a fair amount of time just blowing through Normal mode grinding out some cards to try and make Nightmare more doable and it appears to have worked

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Played for a few hours and also ran into the bug where certain levels have a point-of-no-return and if a player respawns from death before that point and you've run past it, the level is unwinnable and you have to just leave the game. Like...how the gently caress is this game a month from release and this is still something that happens?

Otherwise, I think most of my complaints are polish-based. You only occasionally see teammates projectiles so even when you have a kill-wall set up you see huge amounts of enemies just sort of fall over unceremoniously which is lame. Unless a zombie's head totally explodes, I'm sometimes not even sure if I was the one who landed the killing hit or not. I never see the projectiles from enemies like the Boomer or Spitters, and I see teammates die all the time because they stand in the bile gunk because they never see it coming at them. I also end up getting hit by a zombie from behind and I'm always like "what the gently caress is that" because I never really hear them running at me or anything. The difficulty is also all over the place. I was in a round where everyone was playing super safe and we got to the final stretch with almost full HP, a wave triggered so we hunkered down in a hallway, a Boomer turned the corner and exploded on all of us and took us down to 30% in a single hit. 90% of the levels aren't really dangerous so long as you take it slow, but that makes dying in the final big danger zone feel that much worse, and in my experience if you die after spending 10 mins on a map people will just leave. e: as someone else said, special infected feel like they have WAY too much health

I've been forced into shotguns in a few runs and it's hard to tell the effective distance of the gun because it doesn't really have any sort of oomph to it, even up close. Shooting one of the jumpy ones with a shotgun and my sidearm pistol seem no different, no matter the distance. But, if basic shotgun logic holds up, I don't know why you would want to use one considering what someone said earlier - every enemy you want to just kill on sight, and almost every special spawn is where you see it running at you from a mile away. Maybe they'll be more useful in Nightmare mode when every gun isn't a oneshot.

The card stuff seems cool but it's, of course, unfortunate that it's a matter of grinding before you hit the ones that significantly change gameplay. I like the idea of builds that would change the way you play the matches instead of just using the same weapons every game. The economy stuff is kind of neat, but sort of the opposite of what I said before where I do find myself making the same sorts of decisions every time, since you have your pick of every item at the shops.

I'll play the game for a while because of gamepass but yeah I'd never buy it full price

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Operant posted:

That church level is some horse poo poo, I cannot believe someone played this finale and thought it was a good idea

The church level with the fog modifier is insanely bullshit because the bloom makes it impossible to see anything

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Not every game needs a L4D-style versus mode. The reason it's cool in the original series is that the game itself isn't particularly hard. Every special infected has counterplay, and so four people with solid game knowledge won't really have any problems just running through the campaign. The game doesn't even try to program the AI in a way where they will really exploit the special infected abilities to the fullest degree, and instead they just let players do it. Player infected will do all sorts of cheese poo poo like running survivors off the map, but if that happens to you, you know, whatever. You get progress just for continuing, so you make it as far as you can, and if you die, whatever, you still get to go onto the next map.

I can see why the versus mode in this game is the way it is. The game would be completely unwinnable because the special infected are just super tanky regular zombies. All you'd have to do is stand behind a door and wait for the survivors to run in and you one-shot club all of them to death. It'd be totally impossible to play against because of the way they've designed the specials where they're all not only massively tanky but also super damaging. There would be no counterplay at all if all four specials charged you at once. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, without the versus mode, you don't get to play the version of the game where you get to move on with the level even if you die, meaning dying in the gauntlet of each stage, usually placed at the end, means you have to redo the whole level again, which sucks! This game also takes the opposite side of L4D where the game is really hard and so playing slow and carefully is really important, and having to re-do levels with this playstyle is really draining. This is exactly the sort of game where I'd like a version of the "just get as far as you can" gameplay of the Versus mode from the first game, but they've designed themselves into a corner where they can't do that because the specials are way too overtuned

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 9, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think I would actually like the game a lot more if they flat removed special infected. Which is probably a bad sign

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think conspiracy theories and Q poo poo are pretty different, but from what I heard of...I think it's Hoffman? I'm not even loving sure which character was talking at the time. His government conspiracy stuff wasn't funny or interesting or even steeped actual real-world knowledge of govt coverups. He basically just says "yeah my dad said zombies were real and the military covered it up" which...would be maybe interesting in the context of there being a larger story to the game or the levels other than "kill zombie" but as it stands, it's just a one-liner you get dropped in the middle of a level and it's like "thanks Hoffman, very cool!" Let him go on a long tangent about how Roswell was a distraction from a zombie outbreak, or how people turned into zombies as the result of a drug cocktail concocted during the MKUltra tests or some poo poo.

From the state of the game now it just sounds like they came up with the character archetypes and then spent maybe a few minutes coming up with some dialogue

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I absolutely love the Steam discussion forums as being the frontline of dumb weirdos who have staked their entire lives on meaningless video game minutia, and the Back 4 Blood forums do not disappoint. Most posts have basically mirrored everything said in this thread, but also, there's a lot of talk that people defending the game are being paid by WB. Normally I would laugh and say that's ridiculous, but looking at some of the posts that are defending the game, I think I could be convinced that this is a paid marketing thing

Steam Forums posted:

Please don't lower the price

L4D2 is ruined because of low prices and it's community is full of toxic, mentally damaged hateful weebs. No sale, no regional pricing so we have a better community it's simple as that.

Steam Forums posted:

i honestly cant wait to pump over 200hours into this game with my friends and by myself

Steam Forums posted:

The base gameplay of L4D2 isn't great and is only decent to play with a group of friends, modded lobbies make it more enjoyable but the game as a whole has not held up well since it's initial release in 2009.

B4B is a great spiritual successor to the L4D series and improves upon the base mechanics while also introducing an element that opens up opportunity for many different playthroughs that aren't exactly the same via the addition of cards, decks, and RNG.

Wishing for a game to die because you like the outdated game that it's based off is ridiculous, and criticizing a game's price and content on a closed / open beta that has limited content available 2 months before release is not enough field testing to determine a game's worth or survivability.

B4B will succeed and en masse, with the card style, co-op gameplay, modern FPS controls / visuals / effects, and most importantly and especially, cross platform between all consoles, B4B will be a hot game to play.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It definitely makes my CPU run the hottest its ever gotten. Right now it's jumping from 47-52 and I'm watching a twitch stream, got Firefox open for posting, and running a 3DS emulator. Turn everything off except B4B and it's pushing 80 and occasionally into 90

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The majority of my issues are like, quality of life stuff, but the specials make me actively not want to play. To combine two of my issues, I hate how shooting the shoulder doesn't give off like a special sound effect or glowing blood or something because I shoot at the shoulder all the time and wonder to myself "are these hits even registering or am I missing because my hipfire cone is too wide"

also one time a Bruiser climbed all the way up that little waterfall ledge in the second stage of Act 1 and instantly slammed all of us and I got so loving heated. He just teleported up the ledge and nearly instagibbed us, we all thought, very reasonably, we were safe because hows that thing supposed to climb the mountain?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've been watching a tryhard streamer group with juiced-out cards try and play Nightmare mode and it's been 5 hours and they still can't beat the second stage of Act 1

Something just went absolutely wrong in the process of designing this game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The thing that gets me is that like, 90% of the game seems like it's meant to be very similarly paced to L4D - similar level length, semi-randomized elements such as challenge cards for challenge variation and weapon selection, permanent upgrades and currency farming. So much of it seems like it's supposed to be a quick and casual session-based game sort of like Hades. Like, it's even got a quickplay drop-in functionality. But, then you look at the massive difficulty spikes and I'm just like, how does this fit in with the rest of the design choices? Is the game supposed to be one where you spend several hours grinding out a level? You're not earning upgrade currency for a losing attempt. L4D absolutely was not a hardcore squad-based tactical shooter, and if that's what this game wants to be that's fine, but I don't think they made it this way on purpose

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think they looked at a list of things they wanted to change/improve about L4D and then did all of them without first thinking about how those changes would then interact with each other.

Like, the card system is maybe theoretically fine. But, the way you grind for cards is by doing runs. If you just added the card system into L4D right now, I think it would be fine. Runs are quick and casual, so it's no big deal to hammer out some levels for some upgrade currency. But then you look at the run system in B4B where games skew toward the very difficult side, and now grinding sounds like poo poo. That streamer group last night finally beat Act 1 at the seven hour mark. Like...I'm not playing the same four maps for seven hours in a row when failing a map doesn't give me any currency. Playing Survivor difficulty gives you almost nothing - I got maybe 35 mats for clearing three stages, so not even a single cards worth. So if you actually want any upgrades, which I'm going to say you absolutely need a kitted out deck to play Nightmare, you HAVE to spend a ton of time grinding out the slow maps of Veteran mode.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've never managed to clear the first three maps without someone quitting which then leaves us completely crippled for the fourth map, and if you die there it's like 100% that everyone leaves

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The money system is especially dumb because I'm not sure...what it's for. Like, I would assume it's to minimize RNG loving you over by giving you a way to ensure you get something you need via the shop, but the shops are also randomized to a point where it's no more reliable than anything else in the game. You can use them on med cabinets, but again, those are randomized too. Just do the Killing Floor thing where shops have every weapon in them and you have to make an economy decision about whether so save up or spend

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Corbeau posted:

Man, reading the thread after an evening playing is kind of crazy because I almost wonder if we got the same game.

Did you play in a 4-stack and on what difficulty? Veteran is doable if you've got a competent team but if you're playing with pubbies it's way way harder, and if with bots it's basically not doable. Nightmare is also functionally impossible unless you've got a 4-stack on comms and high-end cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah if the game wants to be a hardcore tactical shooter that'd be fine, but that's not really what I'm looking for in a game like this. Just wanna chill out and shoot guns and kill zombos, if I was looking to entry the sweaty FPS zone I'd play Tarkov or something

but, also, I don't think the game is actually trying to be a hardcore tactical shooter and is mostly this was on accident