Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know if I (or my pubbie teammates) am just terrible, but the easiest difficulty setting is dull because there's no challenge, but the next one up is way, way harder to the point that we normally fail on 1-2 or 1-3. I also agree about the visual clarity of the special infected, they don't pop out enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also the bots are shockingly bad for a feature that you'll need to rely on often. Not quite sure what has happened there but they are garbage.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why on earth would you make a spiritual successor to L4D2, and leave out the mode that has given that game the huge popularity and longevity it has? I tried the PvP mode in this game and it's crazy boring, the Cleaners hole up in the middle of the tiny map and the Infected just throw themselves at them until they run out of lives or the Cleaners run out of ammo. No tactics, no nothing. Just a completely bizarre decision that ensures this game will have no longevity at all.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Shame Boy posted:

Try looking around the safe rooms again after everybody has loaded in and the level officially "starts" (you'll be able to use the supply crate to buy stuff) Somewhere on the wall is a tiny red first aid box that gives you a full refill on health that has 4 charges but it DOESN'T show up or is usable at all until the level officially starts. You can sometimes find them in the levels as well usually behind the doors you need a tool kit to open as well. I guess they are the replacement to the first aid cabinets in L4D but they are so much harder to notice.

Does that actually return the max HP that you lose for getting downed though? On veteran by the time we get to the 3rd or 4th map everyone has like 40 max hp and it makes it impossible.

E: yes they do, for anyone wondering

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 6, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just think it's a bit sad they've had a decade to think up how to build on and improve the formula since L4D2 and all they've come up with is weapon attachments and the card system (which are both fine as long as the card system isn't baked into microtransactions), and they've removed campaign versus. Like....couldn't they have been a bit more bold and imaginative? FWIW I think the game is just fine and will play it a bit thanks to Game Pass, but it feels like it could have been more than it is.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying it more as I play more and unlock more cards. poo poo really starts to get a bit nuts in the second section after the boat. I like that the enemy cards change up the runs and once you get the opportunity to use a bunch of your cards as you progress through a campaign they start to feel a lot more impactful.

Have they said how microtransactions are going to work because if they're putting the cards behind a huge grind that can be skipped by paying then that's pretty much P2W, and I'm kinda worried that it looks like the system is set up to work like that.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The card that turns your melee into a knife is basically an insta-pick and completely invalidates the half dozen melee weapons they've designed. Kind of a weird choice. I can swing my melee weapon 2 or 3 times to kill a zombie, or I can press my melee button to 1 hit kill them instantly.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
They could have designed more interesting special zombies than just tanky regular zombies and included the mode though. It's such a weird thing to leave out.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing the fact that each special infected has a few variant options is because they wanted to have more varied encounters, but didn't want to/didn't have the time to make all those extra models. They absolutely should have done though, in the middle of a battle we just call them Tallboys and Fatties and the tactics of fighting them don't really change. You just hold the trigger down until they die.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do we really need to see our starter card every single map? The whole process with the cards could be sped up quite a bit, and they need to let you do your shopping once you're ready, instead of waiting for everyone.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've played around 15 hours across the 2 betas and have really come around on the game. Have yet to try Nightmare because Veteran is plenty challenging, especially as you get deeper into a run.

I like the card system, although it only really comes into its own once you have unlocked enough cards to start playing around with different builds, which does take a while.

I still think you should be able to remove attachments from weapons and I'm not sure why you can't.

The guns all sound good and are mostly fun to use, with shotguns and ARs my favourite. SMGs chew through ammo too quickly and IMO don't offer much that an AR doesn't.

Still wish each special infected variant had their own model.

Bot AI is the big thing that needs to be fixed, and the game just plain doesn't work with them as it currently stands. This is a big deal as campaigns are long if you want to do a full run through, and as soon as someone leaves you may as well just leave too because the bots are actively detrimental to success.

If I had to pay full price I probably wouldn't, but it's on Gamepass and I'm looking forward to it. They've got time to improve the AI and it has to be their main focus IMO, it's kind of concerning they're this late in development and a core feature is this terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

64bit_Dophins posted:

My standards for a game like this are really low honestly.

If my friends buy it - I will probably do the same honestly which kinda sucks because this game is for sure not worth $60 - not even close.

It would be loving awesome as a free to play game though honestly.

Unless you're on Playstation, the first month of Gamepass is $1 and this'll be on that for PC and Xbox at release.