Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Maybe I've just played too much Vermintide 2, but after playing a few rounds of B4B, the combat sorta feels like it's lacking impact. Like, with a decade to evolve upon its predecessor, I kind of thought everything would be a little... weightier, I guess?

This is less "BOOM, I JUST CRACKED THAT FUCKER LIKE A WALNUT" and more "Welp, he went a lil' limp, so I guess I can stop shooting now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Also, on a visual design note... If you're going to make specials spawn every time I blink, why would you design some of them to look like such unique specimens?

In game lore, is there a factory somewhere where zombies are dipping one arm (and one arm only!) into vats of Fallout FEV? It just doesn't make sense that I'd see and kill that same masturbation-jacked pervert a dozen times per level.

That type of repetition didn't bother me in L4D1/2, but it's probably because they treated specials as special, and not as just another brand of fodder.

tl;dr: BOO HOOOO MYYYY IMMERSIONNNN

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
After a week or whatever, I'm still (non-rhetorically) asking myself, "What does this game do better than Vermintide 2?"

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Chasiubao posted:

Rhetorically, you know that B4B didn't delete Rat 4 Dead from your hard drive or whatever, right?

You can go play it right now in fact. There's even a thread you could post about how much you love the rat game on these very forums.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

What does that even matter?
If you prefer Vermintide over B4B, then...go play that instead?

Thanks for the advice! :rolleye:

As an Elite: Dangerous fan, I can empathize with the pain of goons mercilessly making GBS threads on a game I love, in the thread devoted to that game. But I've survived years of it, so I have a feeling y'all will make it through my two whole bitchy posts.

In all seriousness, though, my point wasn't to unconstructively bash B4B, but instead that "What does this game do better than Vermintide 2?" is what I've ended up pondering by the end of every B4B session I've played so far. I really want to like B4B, but as I continue to look for aspects that are interesting, or innovative, or especially satisfying, I keep coming up short.

The combat doesn't feel visceral or impactful (the way these monsters--even the big ones--get hit and die feels limp as gently caress). The specials aren't "special" when I see cloned versions of them every ten seconds. The whole card system feels weird and shoehorned in, and the same results could have been achieved with more organic skill trees or gear unlocks. And most of all, I can't even play without having to round up friends first, because the B4B pubbie experience is just... untenable.

I loved the original L4D games and put hundreds of hours into them back into the day, but I'm having a really hard time connecting with this modern reimagining of the franchise.

I'M GENUINELY GLAD THAT MANY OF YOU ARE ENJOYING IT, THOUGH. Thankfully my criticism did not delete the game from any of YOUR hard drives.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Back 4 Blood - [sad trombone outro]

I refunded Back 4 Blood shortly after launch, but I kind of assumed it would get good at some point and that I'd pick it up again during some future Steam sale.

RIP, I guess. Thank goodness for Hunt: Showdown. :/