Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m not really getting the complaints about DLC or anything. Picked this up for $40 bucks and it’s been a solid buy.

Besides the notable lack of versus, I’m having way more fun with this game than L4D2. It’s more varied and guns all feel pretty unique. I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I actually lucked into a lobby where all four people used mics and worked together — it was amazing. That’s what the game is balanced on, four human beings who are communicating and working together.

Regrettably of the next six runs, literally only one person communicated via mic. It’s goddamn awful. Why play a game like this if you aren’t using a mic?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Sounds like good news — might give some nightmare runs a shot

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Xaiter posted:

This weird bug is actually some strange unexpected mercy.

If the game calculates you are about to fly over an edge to an instant death, you'll grab the first grabbable ledge near your launch site.

Doesn't explain the decision to go with instant death water pits on The Clog, though. I guess the idea was just "gently caress you"? :psyduck:

That’s how it was in L4D, I think it’s intended and the instadeath might be an oversight

E: can confirm that veteran is fair now; not easy, but fair

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Game is considerably better than it was, veteran is playable with the general public now (without getting lucky and getting in with a coordinated 3 man)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

I think I'm putting a nail in this game's coffin. It's just not good, and the devs have no loving clue what they're doing because it just keeps getting worse with each update. Now they've added in terrible frame drops and stutter and also their shitass netcode refuses to hold together. We tried to finally get to and finish act 4, and it was literally impossible for me. I was spending a good 45 seconds to a minute dcing then reconnecting and loading in for every 15 seconds of laggily trying to shoot something. The bots are still dumber than braindead, special spawns maybe fixed but that doesnt change how most run ends feel like total bullshit cause its never one thing, or something you could have done different. No it's always because a tallboy grabbed someone, a boomer blew everyone apart, and then a hocker webbed the last two people and that's loving that.

game bad

Counterpoint, you’ve got network issues

I’ve experienced this maybe like once out of 50 hours of gameplay

I’ve had pretty good success playing all the way through veteran multiple times with pubbies too surprisingly since the last update

So I mean I’d say that you need to check things on your end because the game is p drat good

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Cidrick posted:

I can't say that I've ever had this problem, either. I haven't had any technical glitches that have made it unplayable. And agreed that the game is p. drat good right now. Veteran especially is hitting my sweet spot of challenging fun.

I do have a problem sometimes when joining a game that's already in-progress: if I take over for a bot player when prompted, you will sometimes spawn without weapons. However, you will still be in the world and ridden will be hitting you and you'll be unable to defend yourself until your hands spawn in.

It seems like you can work around it just by waiting in third-person mode and let the bot play until you see the weapons in the bot's hands, and THEN join.

I’ve had the same issue

Also a bug where whatever cards the bot you took over had will still be in effect for the next map

Which can make for a super OP build or a super frustrating one if they had a no ADS card and your build isn’t for that

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

If its a network issue then its the games network, because nothing else on my end was going wrong, everything else was connecting perfectly. No part of my setup changed since the last time I played save that back 4 blood updated. So I think I'm pretty safe in saying that it was back 4 bloods fault.

And also that still doesn't address that the game has no idea what the gently caress its doing, and you still have poo poo like acid puddles from every dead zombie in a game where taking damage lowers your maximum HP and you spend a lot of time in narrow paths with no escape. Or that hockers still can chain incap people from out of nowhere and end runs instantly, or a bunch of other little bits of crap that all add up to spoil the otherwise fun shooting.

Some of the mutators make the match much harder for sure, but in my experience you can adjust to them, even the super lovely ones like the acid one when you’re running a melee build.

I’ve only seen the issues with instant knockouts when down people or with a team that’s spread out too far. Hockers can pin every 4(?) seconds which is enough time to punch your teammate out of the pin.

I can see your frustration with it, but I promise that it’s something you can adjust for even with pubbies. Barring that, play Evangelo.

Re: network issues, there are so many variables there that it’s tough to say — sorry that’s happening to you

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, I'm still getting miserable performance drops every time a horde spawns. It's really bad.

What hardware/console are you running? I’d imagine the OG Xbone would have a bad time with this being 8 years old (and outdated when it came out in 2013).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I haven’t experienced any of these issues since the patch, but I’m usually running pretty specialized builds and have played a lot of L4D/L4D2. The patch took veteran from rough to pretty manageable even with meh pubbies in my experience.

I’m using KB/M though so it might be that it’s way easier to deal with the spitter’s verticality vs a controller? I’m legit not trying to be passive aggressive or a dick or anything, I’m just not seeing the same issues post-patch. I’ll try to pay more attention in the future and see if my experience matches up with yours.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Poodlebear posted:

Yeah I’m puzzled at how polarized the response to this game is. I haven’t experienced any glaring technical issues, difficulty was a bit on the hard side to start but I actually sort of enjoyed that? Now it’s a bit on the easy side on vet but nightmare is still challenging.

Me and my group will likely continue playing for a long time, the basic mechanics of shooting and looting just feel good.

I mean to be fair, pre-patch, everything anyone critical ITT mentioned was 100% right on (minus connection issues which anecdotally don’t appear to be widespread).

I play with pubs mostly because I’ve had decent luck getting not complete shitters but I def get the frustration pre-patch. Nightmare was just lol worthy at how hosed you were if you got anything but the easiest draw of cards to start

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Watching that video it pretty much sums up big budget vs medium budget.

L4D2 def had better animations and polish, can’t argue that. More personality, too. But until Valve decides that they want to print some more money (and with Steam making more money than any game ever could, why would they), I think B4B is as good as you’re going to get.

Which isn’t to say that it’s bad at all — the card system makes it much more replayable and the game is much more challenging and teamwork based than L4D2 (it was bullshit pre-patch, it’s pretty fair now).

It’s a solid evolution of the L4D2 gameplay design, it just sucks that it had such a rough start because it really is a fun game.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

RBX posted:

Are any of those adding anything to the game that helps? All of that is window dressing.

The video that shows no meaningful gameplay impact or the stuff in the post above that impacts gameplay in a meaningful way by changing enemies, their abilities, your abilities, how the map looks or plays?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's apples to oranges to say that B4B has decks and gun rarity, the video is highlighting elements that are in both games that are done better in L4D. Enemy death animations, environmental destruction, survivor face and body animation, and special infected musical cues. It's all either less sophisticated or missing entirely in B4B, and the team members who would have worked on them weren't the same people making the deck so it's not as though they choose one or the other. The video illustrates that's there's more to a game then its bullet points of major features and these small details add up to have a real impact on the quality of a game.

Yeah, L4D2’s animations and physics were definitely better, agreed. But that’s essentially window dressing that don’t have a meaningful gameplay impact. Though the pipebombs in L4D2 were always a good time.

Go back and play L4D2 — it’s still fun, but it’s aged by comparison. The animations are nice, but give me substance over style every time. And this isn’t to poo poo on L4D2 because that game was good as hell, it’s because B4B is a great game too.

The one place you’ll flat out win is the lack of a versus mode in B4B. Which is awful.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

RBX posted:

The video shows that all that wasn't window dressing. It was the soul of the game and it made it special. Even if we didn't notice or appreciate it at the time. L4D is still played by me and many others and still holds up like every other Valve title.

How does B4B have any more substance than L4D when it's trying to be a souless copy riding on past glory. The fact that it's even a debate of it quality is a failure, that part should've been a home run.

You’re arguing that the things that don’t impact gameplay impacted enjoyment? I mean, I can see that. It’s fun to see all the different ways infected blow up or hack apart. I’m with you until:

RBX posted:

L4D didn't NEED any of that though. Cards and variants of special infected don't make the game better as whole. You just have to work harder to get back to the power level you used to be at.

This kinda makes me think that you haven’t really played much B4B because the cards meaningfully change how you play the game and make it much more varied as a co-op experience vs L4D2 (again, the extremely disappointing removal of versus mode in B4B aside).

Given the choice between meaningful gameplay improvements or zombie physics and animations, I’m going gameplay every time.

I mean, I agree that the animations aren’t as nearly as good for common infected. I just don’t care about it compared to the QoL improvements and variety of gameplay that’s possible. Substance over style if that makes sense.

I think our disagreement might be more rooted in it being a more of a game for me and it being more art for you — your arguments make sense to me within that context.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I thought the striping on the bar was pretty intuitive coming from L4D2. Healing it, less so but still not exactly rocket science.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Keep in mind that silver bullets add flat stumble damage so you’ll stumble basically anything with a shotgun and that card. Or anything with a high ROF.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Idk, WWZ and B4B are both really good co-op games IMO. There’s room for them both

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Corbeau posted:

Easy anticheat updated before our most recent session and I had no performance problems. Hmmmmmm...

i am shocked that there was a negative impact from anti-cheat software

shocked i say

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Leal posted:

Anyone else randomly getting cards from this game right now?

If you have all the regular cards you’ll get one time use burn cards

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’ve been tempted to run a 100% pure support build like that.

I think the secret to this game is leaning full on into whatever your gimmick is because you can do some ridiculous stuff with how the stacks work.

I haven’t built a full SMG build yet, might do that next too now that I’ve got all the SMG cards

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Game is sad compared to Left 4 Dead 2. Really sad when you realize that came out over 10 years ago.

No true versus mode is real sad, but other than that super notable shortcoming it’s a deeper and more interesting game IMO.

Which I could def see taking away from the experience if you were just playing to shut your brain off and shoot zombies with friends (not being passive aggressive or throwing shade there btw).

It’s a different game — one that I like a lot more from a gameplay standpoint but not as much from a story standpoint. I think I’ve said this before, but it really depends on what type of player you are.

If you’re in it for the story, you’ll be disappointed by comparison. If you’re in it for gameplay, I think there’s a lot to like, especially since they’ve fixed most of the major complaints/gripes I’ve had with the game.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, of all the criticisms to have, I’m not seeing the characters or voice actors being the forefront, or even bad on the whole.

Hoffman for example — on the surface he’s a prepper rear end in a top hat, but you see that he’s like he is because of his father and you hear what feels like real sadness to me.

There are a few other ones. Jim is completely forgettable when he should be my favorite since he’s supposed to be a Yinzer (think Pittsburghese). Holly’s delivery is wooden sometimes. Walker can be wooden. I don’t mind the others so far as quality is concerned and really enjoy the banter for the most part.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Does anyone know how cards work in quickplay? Sometimes I join a game and I get to pick like a dozen extra cards. Is it based on how much intel players pick up over the run?

Also, some abilities that were on the bot like Marked for Death and the combat knife seem to carry over to my selected character for one or more rounds without appearing in my Active Cards. Bug or feature?

So you’ll have whatever cards the bot has if you join mid match. Once you finish you’ll be be assigned the first X number of cards in your deck depending on how far along you are. There’s a bug where you’ll also have your bot’s character ability and cards for the next round or until you die/respawn.

I think that’s how it works currently. I’ve had like 290hp because of the bug. It was rad.

I’ve also had no ADS in a deck not built for it.

It’s a mixed bag.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Xaiter posted:

Some of it isn't a bug, but intended.

I think it was confirmed by the devs that when you pick up intel cards, it counts those as a "card" to draw when a player fills that slot.

It just sees "Oh, they have 28 cards because they picked up like 20 intel over the last six maps." and lets you draw an extra 20 cards on top of what you should have.

Ah yeah, didn’t account for the pickup cards.

I hope they add more cards, I’d love to see a card that you can only buy mid-run that gives you five extra cards but randomizes all your current cards. Think like the D20 in Binding of Isaac but with some incentive to use it (the five extra cards).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Xaiter posted:

You know what? This is a brilliant idea. More bizarre ways to change draws or active cards or whatever.

Right now, you can only add new cards that are randomly generated. Either "real perks" that cost money or the free basics.

Why not an intel box that's literally just your current top card? Costs, I dunno, 400-800 weighted randomly based on how many maps into the campaign you are. Is it worth some copper now for an extra on your build?

What about a shredder where you sacrifice a randomly selected card you've already drawn for two new random cards? Or a free perk card with a free curse card that's just a debuff.

Really, there's a buttload of crazy stuff that could be done, given that line of thinking

Yeah, given the relatively small community it might be worth posting in their forums. Incorporating more Isaac type stuff (that people could choose to engage with) could lead to more interesting gameplay IMO.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

They could really use some in game explanations about game mechanics like stumble, weapon rarity, etc.

Because they’re super impactful mechanics that don’t appear to be explained at all. I know how they work, I’m just saying to make the game more accessible and understandable.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

You can buy as many of the same attachment as you like, it’s not first come first serve

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

4 players running Amped Up and On Your Marks

This poo poo owns, do this

Even one person running both of them owns. This game gets almost trivially easy if you have people working together and coordinating perks.

My personal always run list:

shredder for a 15% more damage debuff on enemies you’re shooting

Two is one and one is none (two primaries own, have a crowd control gun and a stagger gun)

Confident killer (1% more damage per mutation killed, caps at 15% (for the team)

Amped Up for 25 temp health with every horde

On Your Marks for a bunch of dope poo poo on each horde

Ammo Pack? (Idk, the one that gives you 50% more max ammo and some other good poo poo)

Those are all no brainers for me.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Found an attachment that does 25% less bullet damage but 100% more weakspot damage.

It *melted* specials with a blue AA12 with my normal ~100% weakspot build on Nightmare.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I quick played into a group of ransoms on nightmare and we went through all of act one; they upped the supply points big time. We hit three hives too, it was great. Made literally like 1500 supply and 7 skulls. It got hairy at parts but nightmare feels much more doable than it was previously

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Canopus250 posted:

Cool, I wanted to putz around with a dumb melee build now that I got Berserker. Doing a new run or quick play seemed like the best way to do that.

Melee seems super viable in nightmare so long as you have people taking care of ranged specials.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Hambulance posted:

They changed "Cabins by the Lake" so you have to take the ferry or else you get an endless horde, at least on Veteran.

Nothing about it in the patch notes, either. Kind of a dick move.

Aw man. I kinda dug the bunny hop across the lake

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Anybody else noticing that nightmare seems noticeably easier than it used to be?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

I just hate how loving boring and repetitives the tunnels are but it's a big advantage to do them just for extra card pull ontop of ton of gold/weapons. you know what the game was lacking?? not being long enough! thank you turtlerock

really wish they could figure something else out. the biggest issue is general length of the game and yeah you can quit-resume but it still sucks.

Firm disagree here. In the age of six episode TV “seasons” I’ll take a long form game provided it stays fresh and varied (not that the caves do this, but they’re shippable so meh)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

BonerKid posted:

As much as I like long form shows and stuff getting 4 people together for 4+ hours to play through a single act is a hard ask. We had three nightmare acts partially complete with different people because scheduling was difficult and it took over a month to finally complete those three act. Prior to adding the tunnels expansion the acts already felt too long, so I hope whatever they add next doesn't just extend the existing acts.

If you have a dedicated gaming group that is always available this is probably preferable, but not everyone has that kind of time.

Yeah, I can definitely get that, fair point. I’m definitely projecting my irritation with TV onto the point you’ve made.

I’d think having a save point every other chapter would be good with maybe a bonus if your start earlier in the chapter.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Cage posted:

God I hated drg.

Had a weird thing happen when doing a nightmare run earlier. Loaded up 3-1 and was met with 0 cards of any kind. I restarted the game to see it was a glitch, but nope. There were 0 regular zombies, just birds and a few snitches. Very bizarre. Next map was fine.

There used to be a glitch you could do on the act after you’ve crashed the school bus — if you jumped over the gate rather than opening it the same thing would occur (no zombies, some birds and snitches). Sounds like a trigger failed to… trigger

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

BonerKid posted:

They added about 5,000 supply points and 100 skull totems worth of cosmetics in this patch. I feel bad for anyone just picking up the game because if they want to be able to consistently get burn cards for higher difficulties they're in for ~200 hours of grinding.

I get that people like hats in games, but hiding gameplay stuff behind cosmetics is dumb as poo poo.

Make one of the traders all gameplay items, piss on your shirts

Besides that the patch looks super good tbh

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Well that’s cool and good then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

It would be nice if they gave you an alert that the horde is an infinite spawn.

They do

The zombies keep coming

(Couldn’t help myself, sorry)