Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this is something from the beta that still happens, but there are instances where the solution is "you need to run away instead of fighting" or "you need to do thing instead of fighting" and we only realize that like two thirds of our resources in. i wish there was some clear like "this is an infinitely spawning situation and you need to do something else" UI element or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hrm, i hope they have some kind of ongoing development and a way to pay for it. how is it doing? i'll be honest i did not expect it had the budget for ace of spades and lolling conceptually at people accidentally streaming that

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
their pings are perfect

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bots are very bad. they were worse in the beta, but also the dropin behaviour in the beta was much better and you could just get a friend to hop on, embody the bot who's stuck in the loving turret literally 2/3rds of the way back in the map with a point of no return between you and run them forward. we had to do that several times actually, lol.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bots always report as 0 kills, i don't know if that's accurate though. someone said that less mobs spawn when you have bots?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
drives me up the wall that the various PC walled gardens make it so that they can't see each other and you need "crossplay" and all have proprietary matchmaking and poo poo. can't play DRG with my non-xbox friends, at least it works here.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no it's an industry standard thing. if your matchmaking hooks into whatever platform it's on, which always happens with both steam and xbox ecosystems, then making it so they can work with each other counts as "crossplay". annoying.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah given it's day one free on gamepass

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i swear it's not consistently in order too, or it's buggy or something?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i also would have sworn up and down it randomized your deck, like a deck, in the beta so if you played that you might be confused

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
several hopups allege to provide +10% movement speed which is twice as much as you get from the cards i have.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Hopup"? Like the airsoft thing?

no idea, it's what bangalore from apex calls gun parts

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
90% sure it does. it's industry standard now, it makes ADS on a shotgun worth doing. also, it's a choke shotguns do have those. how do they install a choke whenever they look down the sights? probably using the same technology that generates infinite magazines or automatically cycles spent bullets in a ton of guns.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a friend of mine compared being able to carry ammo for all gun types and throw it down as being like tactical reload from MGS; an unintended interaction that they liked enough to keep.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CuddleCryptid posted:

Aiming down sights with a shotgun does not narrow the spread. See above, left is hipfired, right is ADS with iron sights. Laser sights tighten it up, as presumably does a choke item I believe exists, but both the presence of sights and physically ADS-ing doesn't tighten it up

sorry, i didn't have much of an opportunity to test this over the week. incorrect. there are several recoil patterns in use one of which is bloom - represented by the UI as your crosshairs going bigger. your shots can land anywhere within this when firing from the hip. this means that while a single shot in ADS has a much more marginalized choke you don't see it as clearly. however, with repeated fire, or fire while otherwise triggering bloom (like when in motion) negating the bloom has a STRONG choke effect.

it's trivial to test this yourself - pick up an autoshotty and a clip upgrade, stand directly in the middle of the truck and fire a full magazine. this was done while crouching which also minimizes bloom - while stood up the effect is even stronger.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
penny pinchers is stupid fuckin busted too

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the tooltip makes it sound like it's not busted it totally is. you get 5 additional copper every time anyone picks up copper which stacks every pickup up to +100 copper every pickup. so by the middle of a longer level even tiny copper piles are giving you a ton of money.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it is the strangest loving design decision in the world to insist on waiting for the countdown to end before you can use the store.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'm hoping they look at the difficulty levels in a more complex pass, address chain stunning, address some more problematic director cards or at least add some things to mitigate and a bunch of little things. it's not a badly designed game at all, you can see the intent in a lot of places, it just needs some work on the execution.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
their eyes glow yellow and they feast on corpses, they're for sure infected

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
silver bullets and penny pinchers is real good

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's per pellet i think? you get waaaaay more healing from the auto shotty than other shotguns.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i am guessing their modelling or animation budget wasn't colossal.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

odiv posted:

I ... literally did not know that those were different.

Granted I've only played maybe 4-5 sessions so far. I just thought there were different nicknames for the same monster for flavour reasons.

there are in fact three variations of every one of the creatures, lol

e: excluding bosses and weird stuff like snitches

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh subtitles are totally mandatory and provide an enormous mechanical advantage, lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it almost feels intended, as if part of the challenge is you can't tell what you are fighting? not my favourite design choice

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there is a lot of level repetition and like, just a lot of repetition generally? i think you go on a boat at least three separate times.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
as someone who played in the beta i'm a little disappointed that those four levels seem to be extremely indicative of the rest of the game tbh. real shortage of enemy types, levels and bosses, i hope they have the dev time to add more.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
how much do you get for having a game pass game and with that quantity of money how much post release support can you expect? because i too have paid the devs nothing but hope they'll patch a better game in and i don't know how sustainable it is under this model.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it needs all of those things but pushing "additional difficulty level" off until next year seems kind of unambitious? here i'll make you a new difficulty level in 5 seconds: veteran with no friendly fire and the same 4 free goes at a med cabinet and the same continue rules as recruit - vet but much more forgiving or recruit but much harder mechanically. call it recruit + or vet - whatever who cares.

maybe they'll stick in some kind of difficulty pass as a QoL enhancement? stuns and instakills, like poo poo that knocks you back into death zones should be reduced at least imo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
good news! you don't get any progression points and as such new cards in solo at all

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
believe so, lol. see how "solo offline with campaign progression" is a december goal

Turin Turambar posted:

Roadmap revealed

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no that was just me confirming it, i think right now solo allows you access to all cards but no supply points. it's there to let you test out decks rather than campaign progress.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is that for Steam? The Gamepass version of this game is counted as xbox even if you're playing on pc which would lead to an appreciable drop in Steam player counts

that shouldn't influence these figures, people who play it on steam actually paid for it and may have a perception of more cost sunk. this number takes the people who play it on steam and detect how many are still doing that.

i would imagine the dropoff of gamepass players would be even more sharp.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we were still getting chain stunned last night but now it happens on recruit. also one game we got 18 cards off the start and another one of our teammates suddenly lost their guns and cards in the middle of a run. i don't think whatever changes the patch implemented made the game better tbh.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
very happy with these changes. i hadn't booted the game in a bit but i'm enthusiastically evangelizing them to my friend group, we were finding recruit mostly too easy if sometimes too hard because of bullshit cards but vet a total total roadblock, in particular because of a bunch of things they tweaked. sad for the movement speed nerfs but w/e.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think it's source engine, though

e: no, tell a lie UE4

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
games launch broken these days and new bugs are a constant and inherent issue with continuous development games-as-a-service, welcome to the future. valve is far from innocent on that front, too, i remember launch valve content.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we came back because we gave up, and imo all the improvements are quite big. drawing your entire deck makes the challenge much more even and lets you use your broken stuff out the gate. what's the meta shotgun, is it still the AA12? and weapons have colours now, should i be treating those with higher priority i can't remember that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we got to and cleared the last boss for the first time last night and holy poo poo what a terribly designed encounter. i had a shotgun build and the first time we tried the only so so available shotgun had a fuckin sniper scope on it and there was nothing to trade it with, then i apparently got caught in the tail physics early and got knocked and immediately died again. i dunno what i wanted but it wasn't that.