Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'll mention Deftones' latest album 'Ohms' because I know there's a lot of fans here but it seems to have been overlooked? It's a fairly solid album and they went back to Terry Date to produce it. It sounds pretty similar to Diamond Eyes but with more synths, and it's refreshing to see their keyboardist have more of a presence on tracks for a change. Their guitarist seems to have found his footing as well and it's just a massive improvement from Gore all round. They sound like a band again even if the album sounds more like a follow up to Diamond Eyes than Koi No Yokan. Fans of the latter won't find the experimentation and soundscapes that were present on this one, it's more straightforward but that isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

For anyone who cares they also did a 20th anniversary re-release of White Pony and I had no idea Scott Weiland provided guest vocals on RX Queen. Wonder why they only credited Maynard James Keenan for his guest appearance?

Anyways, here's a couple singles from 'Ohms' for anyone curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbp0bET06wc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDbj0oeAj0

The whole album seems to be on their YouTube channel, along with the Black Stallion remixes from the second disc of the White Pony anniversary re-release.

Grimes also released Miss Anthropocene back in February which I think was overshadowed by all the celebrity drama surrounding her, collaborators and her husband but it's not a bad album. Have a feeling it will probably be her last one for quite a while unless she maybe puts out one of her scrapped albums? Sometimes wonder if they actually exist or not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Speaking of, Boris put out a good album this year called 'No'. It's a departure from their usual long drone tracks with most songs being in the 2-3 minute range but it's still heavy and if you like Boris you'll likely dig it. Was surprised by how many albums they've put out since I last listened to them and apparently they have their own label now? Fangs Anal Satan is a good name.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rob Zombie put out a single in late October for a new album that's releasing next year so I don't know if this counts or not but the single is actually a pleasant surprise after so many uninspired and boring albums from him. This song sounds like something off a never released follow-up to White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000. Rest of the album could be disappointing but I thought this was worth sharing since it definitely went under the radar and I'm fairly sure a lot of folks here liked his early solo stuff and White Zombie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WULTU6zl2E