Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Hi, welcome to the medieval butt museum. From time immemorial when people were tired and weary, they would simply lie down in the dirt and the mire on their bellies, or on their backs, or even, in times of famine, on their sides. During the epoch of history we call the medieval period, however, all cultures world-wide stumbled upon a crucial innovation-- the butt, a soft and round body-part which allowed the human body to sit on chair and recline in an upright but still comfortable position. Here at the medieval butt museum we celebrate and chronicle all of these butts, to both celebrate, and understand, and finally, to remember.

The museum is always open to generous donations to our collections or volunteer tour-guides so please wander our hall and enjoy our splendid array of butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Cannot talk about medieval butts without the Japanese fart scrolls

ty manifisto

How Wonderful!

He-Gassen all right

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Hmmmmm

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hey y'all

How Wonderful!

This 1588 by Cornelius van Haarlem was considered a "great leap forward" for butts:

Nobody had given the drat haunch this kind of vinegar before and the world was not ready. Note the shocked faces on the bystanders-- interestingly, van Haarlem had originally painted pleasant and demure faces on these men, but the juiciness of the hams on display spontaneously changed them. Van Haarlem was shortly thereafter burnt at the stake.

Not all cultures treated the nascent technology of the butt with such fear and disgust. The famous Devi Jagadambi temple in Khajuraho, built between the 9th and 11th centuries, depicts a female water spirit rightfully taking pride in her good butt:

This 12th century statue of a similar spirit shows her taking a long look for herself, demonstrating the proper respect and veneration for butts, a dignity that Europeans lagged far behind in, often disrespecting the butts with trumpets, monster faces, or other crude devices.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I'd like 2 hear more about butts of old asap op

:allears:

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

the classic opus which belongs in the late enlightenment gallery

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Goons Are Gifts

As explained on the chat thread, this piece shows Henry the Lion, duce of Saxony and Bavaria, being shown a lot of butts when he wanted to enter a city. As you can see, the horse was entirely on board with the butts, but Henry waged war over it. He just didn't want to share.

Goons Are Gifts

Let's take a scientific look at butts playing instruments. Butts used to play a major role in the music scene of the old days, as is shown in countless artworks and descriptions:

The butts usually play trumpets of some sorts, making sounds with their farts.

Sometimes there were cases where they used the butt instruments as weapons or to intimate foes.

Even detached butts did nothing but play music.

It is believed that the term "the brown sound" comes from this time, where butts were a major player in the medieval musical industry.

RickRogers

Butt on Freiburg cathedral; buttocks being the foremost method to ward off evil spirits in olden times.

How Wonderful!

I would like to share some strong interdisciplinary work from our colleagues over in BSS:

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

See also the story of Abu Hasan and the Great Fart
https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/fart.html

As well as the following corollary research
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type1176.html

quote:

There were once three happy-go-lucky fellows who made a pact with the devil, promising their souls to him on a certain date if he would make them rich. A further condition was that he would have to grant them one last wish when he came to get them. The devil agreed to this.
The first man hauled gigantic stone blocks down from a mountain from morning until evening, When his time was up and the devil came to get him, he told the devil to replace all the stones back on the mountain within one day. But the devil did not need a day. He finished the task in five minutes and took him away.

Then the devil came for the second fellow, who following the pact had gone immediately to a tavern where he joyfully spent every day eating and drinking to his heart's content, for he had all the money he could use. When he saw the devil coming he was full of good cheer and made no sign of getting ready to leave. The latter told him to make haste, for his time was up.

The fellow said, "Now, now, I still have some time. My hour hasn't come yet."

Walking back and forth in his room he finally broke wind mightily and then said to the devil, "Bring that back to me!"

The devil was not able to do this, and he left in an sour mood.

I cannot tell you what the third fellow did to defeat the devil. If you want to know, you'll have to ask the old tavern keeper at Steina. By now it will have come back to him.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i love marginalia. it's just the medieval version of bored kids sketching dumb stuff during class, just w/ 20-40 year old scribes copying the few books left in western christendom

How Wonderful!

I feel like the three big genres here are "marginalia" "apotropaic butt" and "literal diagram of hemorrhoid treatment"

Nosfereefer

blowing tobacco smoke up some other guy's rear end is a totes legit medical procedure!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

That's where the phrase "not just blowing smoke up your rear end" comes from btw.

Nosfereefer

someone else watched QI at some point

RickRogers

I am learning so much and would actually visit this museum irl.

Nosfereefer

RickRogers posted:

I am learning so much and would actually visit this museum irl.

there's an irl penis museum in reykjavik, iceland, for what its worth

How Wonderful!

Many years ago when I first started grad school I was planning on specializing in early modern medical rhetoric, this is mostly because I had a mentor who I really really loved working with who had me working on some really interesting projects. Anyway I wound up veering in a different direction but I still really recommend reading medieval medical textbooks and manuals for a weird and wild time. Moses Maimonides the great Jewish philosopher actually wrote a book called On Hemorrhoids which basically covers the long and short of it.

A lot of the gruesome or funny looking treatments were for very rich folks only. If you weren't rich you either had to just deal with your roids on your own or try to mitigate them by eating fiber, squatting to poop, or turning to any number of folk remedies or magical cures. Others had them surgically cut off, or tied off with surgical thread until the blood-flow dried up and they just dropped off. The classical treatment was cauterizing the things out which you know. I'd rather just have a hemorrhoid personally. Others, for better or worse, thought having a hemorrhoid was actually good for you, and that it gave men something analogous to menstruation to get out bad blood. Well there you have it.

Nosfereefer

butt related medical treatments are probably some of the oldest done by mankind

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

pseudorandom

I went ahead and grabbed a couple books off the sex and sexuality section of my bookshelf. Here's a small selection of content.

From Eros In Pompeii:

From Sex In History

Not butts, but random fun facts:

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 18, 2020

google THIS

1 percent uncertain

How Wonderful!

I gotta see what's on the other end of that asterisk...

alnilam

How Wonderful! posted:

A butthole looks a lot like an asterisk :thunk:

ty manifisto

How Wonderful!

1% uncertain butthole

Nosfereefer

24 percent the penis,
4 percent the vulva,
all uncertain

Nosfereefer

actually now that i read the thing, its total bullshit. running percentages when the sample size is around a hundred?? all it tells us is that the people who preserved those particular pots were into butt stuff

free hubcaps

:munch:

Areola Grande

:jerky:

google THIS

the "loving-NOS" pot

google THIS

"Look at these 100+ pots. Every gently caress and suck and butthole the light touches is our kingdom"

"What about that shadowy pot?"

"YOU MUST NEVER GO THERE"

How Wonderful!

If they analyzed all 100 of my stirrup-spout pots they would tell quite a different story.

alnilam

How Wonderful! posted:

If they analyzed all 100 of my stirrup-spout pots they would tell quite a different story.

BYOB project: analyze all 100 of How Wonderful's stirrup-spout pots

ty manifisto

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Docent: "Please don't tuchis the artwork."

pseudorandom

How Wonderful! posted:

Sorry for the tease, here's the asterisk:

edit:
figure at this point, I was once again cutting off important information if anyone decided to read the rest of the page. Here's the next page finishing that passage, and a picture of one of the pots in question.

:nws: for sex pot
https://i.imgur.com/5WoiywG.jpg

Edit 2: I wish modern bongs looked like that.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 19, 2020

Areola Grande

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

alnilam posted:

BYOB project: analyze all 100 of How Wonderful's stirrup-spout pots

96% of my pots are PG to PG-13, 4% are the vulva but tasteful. I don't support zoophilia in this household but I do support Zoobooks and begrudgingly accept Zootopia so I throw each of those topics a modest 3% worth of pity-pots.