Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

It's that time of year again! This subforum has been around for almost a decade now (i dont loving remember it was like 2011 or something) and weve had a lot of great gaming. People have come and gone for one reason or another but the four of us that post here have been at it for a long time now. Let's share some memories of happy imp holiddays" and imps gaming together

in 2015 or whatever year mgs 5 came out I played through most (did we finish it i dont rememebr) of Peace Walker on PS3 with in training for Metal Gear July. It was a blast and one of the few games I really wish I could co-op again some day. It is also so much better to play the missions online

If you're a new poster welcome to the place behind the waterfall. we actually like video games ehre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

As a kid Christmas was essentially the only day of the year I got new video games or consoles. So I used to have to make that poo poo last me a whole year, so I had to pick my games carefully. The year I got a PS2 was probably the greatest Christmas of all time for me, since they were still hard to get at the time. I remember staying up real late playing Tekken Bowl in Tekken Tag Tournament.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Story about when my parents spent a whole year long conning me that they couldn’t afford anything, let alone a N64, and then Santa not only brought one for me but set it up to the TV and I woke up to the Bomberman Hero attract screen, causing me to believe in Santa Claus well into 7th grade.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Story about when my parents spent a whole year long conning me that they couldn’t afford anything, let alone a N64, and then Santa not only brought one for me but set it up to the TV and I woke up to the Bomberman Hero attract screen, causing me to believe in Santa Claus well into 7th grade.

so sick

Kongming posted:

As a kid Christmas was essentially the only day of the year I got new video games or consoles. So I used to have to make that poo poo last me a whole year, so I had to pick my games carefully. The year I got a PS2 was probably the greatest Christmas of all time for me, since they were still hard to get at the time. I remember staying up real late playing Tekken Bowl in Tekken Tag Tournament.

I don't want to go into a whole thing about it but we were so loving poor back then. I remember I would only get two games a year, one on my birthday in july and one for christmas. I would loving 110% those games until my eyes bled. The best combo ever, I think, was birthday Medal of Honor for PS1 and Christmas Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver which I played for something like six months straight. Sometimes I really hate the game overload now and wish I could just sink myself into something for weeks on end that isn't wow

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

probably in 5th grade or so, after my sister and i opened all our presents, my mom came out with two more surprise presents and they were yoshis island and donkey kong country 2 for snes. we were so hype

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kongming posted:

Yeah, this. Getting a PS2 on christmas is still a cherished memory for me. I also found out my mom was one of those people who stood in line at 3am to get one on launch day and held out until christmas to give it to me. It was awesome lol. Watching The Matrix and Little Nicky on dvd like a king.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
https://clips.twitch.tv/PeppySleepyRatRitzMitz

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
One Christmas got a original playstation as complete surprise. At that point only had a genesis and nes and didn’t even know what playstation was thought it was like a lame gimmick console. It came with one of those demo disks which had first levels of mgs spyro soul reaver medievil and some others :stare:

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Vid unrelated to Christmas but its one of my favorite memories of something from Imp Zone. Thought I should share.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I gotta finish what I started

I gotta finish what I started with dinosaurjerk1477fuuuu

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
On topic, I used to live in upstate New York and one winter, still a few weeks out from Christmas, our basement flooded like crazy cuz it got a little warmer and a ton of the snow closest to our house melted. I was like 7 years old, it was 1 or 2 AM and I was helping my mom take buckets of ice cold water from our dark rear end basement while our sump pump struggled. My dad was working some lovely graveyard shift job so it was just us trying to get all this water out with like two buckets but I told my mom I'd do it alone. I don't remember how long I spent pulling water outta there. It was insane. I remember passing out on the couch watching Sci Fi channel playing anime.

The next day my mom said Santa left me an early present, cuz he'd seen me working hard and it was Mario RPG. It's been one of my favorite games since then.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Kongming posted:

I gotta finish what I started with dinosaurjerk1477fuuuu

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ya boy got UHF and Goldmember with his PS2. UHF is now in my top 5 films.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah, this. Getting a PS2 on christmas is still a cherished memory for me. I also found out my mom was one of those people who stood in line at 3am to get one on launch day and held out until christmas to give it to me. It was awesome lol. Watching The Matrix and Little Nicky on dvd like a king.

Hizke posted:

On topic, I used to live in upstate New York and one winter, still a few weeks out from Christmas, our basement flooded like crazy cuz it got a little warmer and a ton of the snow closest to our house melted. I was like 7 years old, it was 1 or 2 AM and I was helping my mom take buckets of ice cold water from our dark rear end basement while our sump pump struggled. My dad was working some lovely graveyard shift job so it was just us trying to get all this water out with like two buckets but I told my mom I'd do it alone. I don't remember how long I spent pulling water outta there. It was insane. I remember passing out on the couch watching Sci Fi channel playing anime.

The next day my mom said Santa left me an early present, cuz he'd seen me working hard and it was Mario RPG. It's been one of my favorite games since then.

good moms

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
imp zone is quite literally the only good gaming forum on the internet. thanks for the good posts everybody and merry christmas

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

a Loving Dog posted:

imp zone is quite literally the only good gaming forum on the internet. thanks for the good posts everybody and merry christmas

:cheerdoge:

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

probably in 5th grade or so, after my sister and i opened all our presents, my mom came out with two more surprise presents and they were yoshis island and donkey kong country 2 for snes. we were so hype

i think i was in 4th or 5th grade when my parents did the same thing, surprising my sister and i with a Nintendo DS each after we opened all our presents. i still have it somewhere, bottom screen badly cracked and hinge broken so it's essentially just a GBA now, but it still works after all these years.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a Loving Dog posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

:hai:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was 15 when the Wii came out for Christmas and it was the first Christmas I didn't believe in Santa (won't be discussing this). Midnight openings aren't a thing here even now but ma drove me up to Smyths the Saturday morning it came out and I'd terrible stomach pains the whole drive up out of nerves it'd be sold out. Got there and there was tonnes left and she bought me Zelda too. We even got to go to McDonalds afterwards. First console that was just mine not my older brothers that I was allowed use sometimes. What a day

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Christmas was always the big gaming day for me. I remember getting a Gamecube with Metroid Prime and playing it all day deep into night after Christmas dinner. I thought it was the coolest game I had ever seen and honestly I still think that to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mziw3FQkZYg

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GorfZaplen posted:

Christmas was always the big gaming day for me. I remember getting a Gamecube with Metroid Prime and playing it all day deep into night after Christmas dinner. I thought it was the coolest game I had ever seen and honestly I still think that to this day.

That game and system combo was my big christmas present memory too. We lived in China then and Nintendo consoles weren't really a thing there and neither was online international ordering or anything like that, so I guess they had to like wire money to a coworker who was coming from the US and get them to bring it in their luggage? Now that I'm older I realize what a pain in the rear end that must have been

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't have any particular gaming related Christmas memories because our dad was a gamer and bought stuff as soon as it came out. I did get my brother an SNES Classic for Christmas a couple years ago and now my 3 and 5 year old nephews are obsessed with Mario's Kart.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a Loving Dog posted:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I vividly remember one christmas where my mom brought back a SNES for me after having spent a month or so in the US getting eye surgery. Christmas is a truly magical and loving time.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

We never got any gaming presents because my mum did not approve, so long after we stopped asking for games one year, my dad took me to one side and said he had bought an extra present - and showed the box for a 3dfx Voodoo 2 ( can’t remember what year but it was prime 3dfx years)
He then pulled a maximum dad trick and opened the empty box and told me he had already installed it in our PC.

I then got to play Quake 2 at a stable frame rate with full coloured lighting. Merry impmas.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

a Loving Dog posted:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

merry impmas to all and happy gaming.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Hizke posted:

i really like this. you worked hard and were rewarded with one of the best games of the era. god bless.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

my parents told me they would never get a console or any kind of computer. those things were just really expensive and useless and rotted your brain. then, one christmas, i got a snes with lots of games. it was one of the most epic moments of my childhood. that was when i became a gamer for life.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
christmas 99 has to be one of the all timers. Ocarina of Time, wrestle mania 2000 on n64 and Tony hawk 1 on PlayStation. I don’t think I even tried Tony hawk until New Year’s Eve.

My 3 year old is starting to show an interest, he’s been watching me play rocket league and new super Mario bros. We got him the Mario kart/Mario party bundle they have at target, I can’t wait to see him get it

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
gbc, Tetris and links awakening dx in 98 was a classic also

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Similar memory getting Metroid Prime for Xmas; that same year we had an awful icestorm which drove me away for a day since I had to help my dad clean up a tree that collapsed under the weight of the ice, but otherwise it was gaming nirvana. Getting to Phendrana drifts while it was snowing outside...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my mom bought me an n64 for christmas and then proceeded to loving hog it and beat banjo kazooie before I did because the loving halloween level scared me lol

it is still the one and only video game outside of wii bowling she ever played lol

my dad on the other hand got me into flight sims (su-27 flanker and a-10 cuba) and would also let me play duke nukem when my mom was working crazy nurse shifts

christmas rules and parents rule :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
imp zone does in fact own. i remember back in 2014 around christmas time the imp zone convinced themselves that shadow of mordor was a good game cause before release everyone thought it would be poo poo cause of arkham style combat and licensed game but then it came out and everyone was like oh actually its really good and so the thread title was something like "in george costanza voice: THATS IT! im getting the lotr game!"