Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Its actually bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

Its actually bad

iirc there was a big gaming drought around when that came out and thats why everyone got so into it

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

it was ok but i became so OP in the first area i quit after getting to the second

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i played it for maybe an hour before turning it off forever and i have never forgiven hormel

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

apropos to nothing posted:

imp zone does in fact own. i remember back in 2014 around christmas time the imp zone convinced themselves that shadow of mordor was a good game cause before release everyone thought it would be poo poo cause of arkham style combat and licensed game but then it came out and everyone was like oh actually its really good and so the thread title was something like "in george costanza voice: THATS IT! im getting the lotr game!"

literally one of the worst years for games because everyone was pivoting to mobile

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Rolling out in my GTA 3 reverse-turreted Tank, soaring above the hellscape. Wishing all a merry impmas

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

John Romero posted:

literally one of the worst years for games because everyone was pivoting to mobile

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

goddamn the first season of walking dead was so good and everything else was garbage

also inside was so much better than overwatch

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the yeti snow manor in Twilight Princess at Christmas, some of the best snow feels in gaming

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The last video game thing I got from my parents for Christmas was Mortal Kombat 3 for the PS1. I was 13 and I got my first "job" when I was 14 so anything gaming related that I ever wanted I just bought for myself, so they never really knew what to get me or just assumed I had everything I wanted so they never bothered after that. Anyway I remember unwrapping it at like 5 in the morning and playing it by myself in the pitch black and just being completely stunned at how arcade-perfect it was (minus the loading while Shang Tsung morphed). The sprites were huge, the colors weren't dithered down, and the audio sounded flawless. It just absolutely blew me away. Playing it on Christmas morning before anyone else was awake just owned so much.

Anyway that was the last time my parents ever got me anything gaming related as I said except for this one other time.

My dad had lost his yearbook from when he was in Vietnam (apparently they gave yearbooks out to people in the military/navy/etc). He lost it long before I was even born but it always tortured him because it had a lot of pics of him and his friends and a lot of his friends he couldn't remember their last names.

I knew the name of the ship he was on and the year he was on it so I always had an ebay alert setup in case it ever showed up. He manually checked ebay twice a week for it. He did this for probably five years to no avail.

One day it finally showed up outta nowhere. The seller wanted $300 for the starting bid which was an insanely high amount of money for me in my early twenties but I didn't care. Since it was October, I figured I'd get it for him as a Christmas gift, but I didn't want him to start outbidding me unknowingly. So a goon helped me edit the hosts file on his laptop (this is from before smartphones) and I made it so whenever he visited eBay it said "under construction" and to come back in a week. I ended up winning it for $400.

Anyway sometime a month later he was going through some sort of mental breakdown which had never happened before (and never happened since). He was convinced he was going to be fired from his job and also my sister was going through some horrible rebellion phase and he was getting less than an hour of sleep a night for weeks in a row. He actually had huge holes in his socks because of how much he was pacing around the house at all hours of the night.

One day I saw him trembling just trying to drink a cup of water (his hand was shaking so much that it would just splash all over as he tried to drink it) and it really got to me, so I gave him the yearbook even though it was a few weeks before Christmas. I wouldn't exactly say he started crying (I never saw him cry ever) but he was doing that choked back thing where he couldn't speak because of how excited and I guess moved he was.

He said he wanted to give me an early Christmas gift too and it was Sword of Mana for the GBA. Again keep in mind I was like 20 at that point and he hadn't gotten me a video game gift since MK3 for the PS1. I asked him how he knew it would be a game I'd like (he was completely oblivious with video games and what we were into) and he said he remembered I had a "something of Mana poster in your room when you were a kid" (he was referring to the Secret of Mana tree artwork poster that came with the SNES game) and he asked the guy at the store if there were any recent Mana games and sure enough there was; Sword of Mana. I already had bought the game, beaten it, and sold it back to FuncoLand but there was no way in hell I was going to tell him that, of course. I made sure to let him seeing me play it whenever I could. I'd always tell him how far I've gotten and what a great time I was having with the game.

My dad's episode ended a few days after I gave him the yearbook (I'm not saying it's related) and he's never had another breakdown ever since. When Facebook came around a few years later he was able to find a bunch of his old friends since he now had their last names. He's still friends with most of them to this day. He was even best man at one of their weddings a year or two ago.

Anyway even when I sold my entire game collection like a gigantic moron a few years later, I couldn't sell Sword of Mana. I still have it complete in the box and I'll never get rid of it.

Edit: (Sorry this was long as poo poo. I just started typing it then realized how long it was). I don't expect anyone to read all of it but this was the Christmas gaming memory that immediately came to mind when reading all the other posts here.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 20, 2020

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i read it :)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you :)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
thats a really nice story

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mycophobia posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

every year I would tell Santa Claus "power me up with nintendo, santa!

now I have my own kids, and the oldest loves zelda already and will be getting some Zelda presents under the tree. merry impmas to all

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

not me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

mycophobia posted:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

were not having kids but my 17 year old nephew called me a pussy because i havent beaten ocarina of time on randomizer

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the yeti snow manor in Twilight Princess at Christmas, some of the best snow feels in gaming

All I remember is the miniboss kicking my rear end...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I didn't, but will.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

the ball and chain is the coolest zelda subweapon so it's worth it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's a really nice story. my dad sold his drum set to buy our nintendo and spent countless hours playing with us. he still asks if there are any games he can buy for me at christmas, and I always tell him to buy more stuff for the grandkids instead. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to have their own console and play the games themselves.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

it's a really nice story. my dad sold his drum set to buy our nintendo and spent countless hours playing with us. he still asks if there are any games he can buy for me at christmas, and I always tell him to buy more stuff for the grandkids instead. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to have their own console and play the games themselves.

wanting your kids to play console games is quite frankly sick

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

blowing all the dust off the ps4 and removing the mothballs from last of us 2 game of the year enhanced for ps4pro edition. this is the game that taught me wocs and pocs can garrote a dog, yet it still causes harrowing emotional trauma. merry christmas!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

blowing all the dust off the ps4 and removing the mothballs from last of us 2 game of the year enhanced for ps4pro edition. this is the game that taught me wocs and pocs can garrote a dog, yet it still causes harrowing emotional trauma. merry christmas!

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mycophobia posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The last video game thing I got from my parents for Christmas was Mortal Kombat 3 for the PS1. I was 13 and I got my first "job" when I was 14 so anything gaming related that I ever wanted I just bought for myself, so they never really knew what to get me or just assumed I had everything I wanted so they never bothered after that. Anyway I remember unwrapping it at like 5 in the morning and playing it by myself in the pitch black and just being completely stunned at how arcade-perfect it was (minus the loading while Shang Tsung morphed). The sprites were huge, the colors weren't dithered down, and the audio sounded flawless. It just absolutely blew me away. Playing it on Christmas morning before anyone else was awake just owned so much.

Anyway that was the last time my parents ever got me anything gaming related as I said except for this one other time.

My dad had lost his yearbook from when he was in Vietnam (apparently they gave yearbooks out to people in the military/navy/etc). He lost it long before I was even born but it always tortured him because it had a lot of pics of him and his friends and a lot of his friends he couldn't remember their last names.

I knew the name of the ship he was on and the year he was on it so I always had an ebay alert setup in case it ever showed up. He manually checked ebay twice a week for it. He did this for probably five years to no avail.

One day it finally showed up outta nowhere. The seller wanted $300 for the starting bid which was an insanely high amount of money for me in my early twenties but I didn't care. Since it was October, I figured I'd get it for him as a Christmas gift, but I didn't want him to start outbidding me unknowingly. So a goon helped me edit the hosts file on his laptop (this is from before smartphones) and I made it so whenever he visited eBay it said "under construction" and to come back in a week. I ended up winning it for $400.

Anyway sometime a month later he was going through some sort of mental breakdown which had never happened before (and never happened since). He was convinced he was going to be fired from his job and also my sister was going through some horrible rebellion phase and he was getting less than an hour of sleep a night for weeks in a row. He actually had huge holes in his socks because of how much he was pacing around the house at all hours of the night.

One day I saw him trembling just trying to drink a cup of water (his hand was shaking so much that it would just splash all over as he tried to drink it) and it really got to me, so I gave him the yearbook even though it was a few weeks before Christmas. I wouldn't exactly say he started crying (I never saw him cry ever) but he was doing that choked back thing where he couldn't speak because of how excited and I guess moved he was.

He said he wanted to give me an early Christmas gift too and it was Sword of Mana for the GBA. Again keep in mind I was like 20 at that point and he hadn't gotten me a video game gift since MK3 for the PS1. I asked him how he knew it would be a game I'd like (he was completely oblivious with video games and what we were into) and he said he remembered I had a "something of Mana poster in your room when you were a kid" (he was referring to the Secret of Mana tree artwork poster that came with the SNES game) and he asked the guy at the store if there were any recent Mana games and sure enough there was; Sword of Mana. I already had bought the game, beaten it, and sold it back to FuncoLand but there was no way in hell I was going to tell him that, of course. I made sure to let him seeing me play it whenever I could. I'd always tell him how far I've gotten and what a great time I was having with the game.

My dad's episode ended a few days after I gave him the yearbook (I'm not saying it's related) and he's never had another breakdown ever since. When Facebook came around a few years later he was able to find a bunch of his old friends since he now had their last names. He's still friends with most of them to this day. He was even best man at one of their weddings a year or two ago.

Anyway even when I sold my entire game collection like a gigantic moron a few years later, I couldn't sell Sword of Mana. I still have it complete in the box and I'll never get rid of it.

Edit: (Sorry this was long as poo poo. I just started typing it then realized how long it was). I don't expect anyone to read all of it but this was the Christmas gaming memory that immediately came to mind when reading all the other posts here.

this is a nice story, but it also involves secretly modifying your dads computer and its cracking me up

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

my parents met in an arcade. I thought it would be nice to get them one of those home cabinets that can play roms of arcade games. Of course I had to get them out of the house so I could get it delivered and installed, so I called in a bomb threat and they spent the night in a hotel. They were shaking and crying when they came back to the house and saw the gift, probably because of how thoughtful it was. Gamer win

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

trying to jack off posted:

this is a nice story, but it also involves secretly modifying your dads computer and its cracking me up

lmfaO

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

saw this, shirked in horror, then saw elf help books post, read it and that's a really nice story. i really should play sword of mana. god bless videogames.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please stop posting that crap.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

American McGay posted:

I don't have any particular gaming related Christmas memories because our dad was a gamer and bought stuff as soon as it came out. I did get my brother an SNES Classic for Christmas a couple years ago and now my 3 and 5 year old nephews are obsessed with Mario's Kart.

My uncle was like that & my cousins would have new genesis/dreamcast/playstation games almost every week when I went round there. from there it was simply a matter of finding the best games and asking for them for xmas/birthday

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

trying to jack off posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009