Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Suspicious posted:

Joe Average 2 the human fighter is moving on to Siege of Dragonspear!

Congrats on your win! Do you want to include your honors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
ironling, born hero, purist, librarian, trap dodger, honorable trader, battlemaster, roleplayer

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wizard Slayer Rip Stipley is sorting out the Sword Coast's bandit problem, one wizard at a time. Perhaps there are non-wizard threats in the world. Perhaps.

Drake is from Amn. I mention this because he'll mention it.

A lot.

We go through the usual rounds, dealing with Neira and Greywolf.

And Bassilus. Here we see an example of just how devout Drake is. (That's not really fair. He's devoted to his faith and cynical about pretty much everything else, and we'll see later that he has pretty good reasons for that.)

The pretext for Drake joining us in the first place is that he heard about the contract on Bassilus, figured a Cyricist was a worthy target for a knight-errant of Tyr, and wanted some help to get it done. So, having got it done, he says he likes our style and wants to stick around. Since that was the plan anyway, we allow it.

This fight nearly goes very badly because Zordral nails Rip with a sleep before he can shut his spellcasting down. Fortunately Drake, having the Tyr Priest kit, can cast Exaltation and wake Rip up, and we soon put ol' Zordral to sleep for good.

(Wizards Slain: 4)

We head on down into the mines and deal with Mulahey who for some reason takes FOREVER to finally die. I don't think he gets a single spell off, he just resists all of ours.

These drat mustard jellies are nearly the death of all of us, as we unload pretty much everything we have at the drat things before they finally die.

(Wizards Slain: 5)

We then head off to do Neera's quest.

I do not care for Neera's quest.

Neera's quest, not to put too fine a point on it, sucks.

The fight doesn't go too bad this time as, between Rip and a few poor Glitterdust saves, neither wizard does much and we're able to out-muscle their muscle. But of course the reward is hardly worth the effort.

(Wizards Slain: 7)

(Wizards Slain: 8)

Back in Nashkel, Nimbul falls to a Command spell and then just falls. gently caress that guy.

(Wizards Slain: 8, for real.)

Tranzig gets off a Lance of Disruption or something but the fight otherwise doesn't go well for him.

(Wizards Slain: 9)

We run into the Gullykin bounty hunters. Like last time, Jaheira charms their cleric. Neera's Dire Charm against the leader fails, alas, but the cleric proves to be well worth it by successfully using Hold Person against his former allies twice.

It's still not an easy fight but we prevail. (This screenshot is after some AI-enabled healing kicked in; we were much worse off than this.)

(Wizards Slain: 10)

I would have totally added this to Rip's slain wizards count if Melicamp hadn't survived. But Melicamp Lives.

And we'll bring this to a close with one last slain wizard, one of the bandit crew at the Wilderness Lake.

(Wizards Slain: 11)

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
The real reward from Neera's quest is the friends you make along the way scroll of Stoneskin.

I've got a run going but need to get off my rear end and actually write an update.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Arelia the Fighter Mage Thief attacks the Throne of Bhaal!

Following my rarely spotted triple level up last time, I fought through the first through Bhaal spawn without remembering to take screenshots, apart from one shady moment:

Turns out that having imp haste on means that you're basically immune to fear (with a bit of luck) because you just run away from anything that can hurt you.

Not much point in summoning the rest of the party members given that it's a solo run, except:

(As a side note, occasionally getting 5000 quest XP or similar is utterly pathetic when each random goon is worth that much)

In Sendai's Enclave, a new record hit!

Part of the reason that I didn't take many photos was because it just involved lots of casting Time Stop and thwacking people with Carsomyr +6 or (Celestial Fury or Crom) + Belm.

Yep.

Yeeepppp (although these guys I also had to sit around detecting them again as they kept going invisible)

Preparations for Bal:

The Immunity spell is Evocation for Bigby's, except none of that was necessary as I killed him in one TS because he was in the wrong stance at the time.

Time Stop, of course, is rubbish against the Ravager and Mellisan as they ignore it. Instead, advanced tactics: hit the Ravager while it (and everything else) attack a Planetar

The planetar was immune to everything except the Ravager which made it a lot tankier than it should have been. Sadly it kept on killing the bone blades, which made them come and attack me. But got it down after a few rounds.

So, on to the final fight!!

Except not because I forgot to do one challenge

So, on to the final fight!

The first round was the most difficult, because you just get kicked into it. I summoned a Planetar, run away a bit, then cast a Warding Whip on Mel after doing a lap of the map

Protections removed, she went down easy.

Subsequent rounds involved Spike Traps. Simulacrum is handy for that as it doesn't use "your" ones.

At this point the adds became much more dangerous than her, especially because I had stocked up on Planetar summons rather than Time Stop casts for this fight. Spike traps did for the big guy, and a fireball finished off the trolls

Sent a Planetar top left to die and pull the stuff. Their Solar came first, and got beaten to death. The Mareliths weren't so bad as the Simulacrum was able to tank them while Arelia proper cast Warding Whip and then beat them to death.

One more set of traps and it was all over:

I am a GOD

And final stats:

Arelia has finished Baldur's Gate

Trophies: Irongod, Born Hero(ine), Purist, Honourable Trader, (Strictly speaking Iron Party and Roleplayer).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

So, a little over two weeks to come from running away from Xvarts to killing dragons in the blink of an eye.

Now, this was made much easier (indeed, possible given it's been a while since I played the games) by removing the level cap. However, running with my first stat roll (which thankfully wasn't crap, although nothing to write home about) resulted in me not being able to go fully crazy - in particular, having only 7 Wisdom (after 3 stat books, no less, although -1 from that one bit of SoA) meant that running Wish was essentially useless, and being able to "rest" part way through the final fight is enormously helpful. I also chose not to abuse Mislead and Project Image, as you get them a lot earlier than Time Stop.

Did I get lucky at any point? Yes, loads. Down to 1HP multiple times (in a previous edition of this thread I believe I was on 1HP fighting the Ascension Ravager when it died, which would have been super annoying), feared/stunned lots. Should have taken better precautions a lot of times, and by the time we got to ToB I was setting Time Traps everywhere "Just in case" and returning to my pocket plane to rest after essentially every combat in case one went south. And, unsurprisingly, once you can chain cast Time Stop and beat people to death there aren't many fights that go south.

That was super fun overall, and I'm probably going to restart with SCS (but a full party) shortly. Or maybe just the full party. It's a very different experience when you can't dodge fights you don't like by going invisible.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Congratulations to MrL_JaKiri for the first trilogy win.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So, a little over two weeks to come from running away from Xvarts to killing dragons in the blink of an eye.

Now, this was made much easier (indeed, possible given it's been a while since I played the games) by removing the level cap. However, running with my first stat roll (which thankfully wasn't crap, although nothing to write home about) resulted in me not being able to go fully crazy - in particular, having only 7 Wisdom (after 3 stat books, no less, although -1 from that one bit of SoA) meant that running Wish was essentially useless, and being able to "rest" part way through the final fight is enormously helpful. I also chose not to abuse Mislead and Project Image, as you get them a lot earlier than Time Stop.

Did I get lucky at any point? Yes, loads. Down to 1HP multiple times (in a previous edition of this thread I believe I was on 1HP fighting the Ascension Ravager when it died, which would have been super annoying), feared/stunned lots. Should have taken better precautions a lot of times, and by the time we got to ToB I was setting Time Traps everywhere "Just in case" and returning to my pocket plane to rest after essentially every combat in case one went south. And, unsurprisingly, once you can chain cast Time Stop and beat people to death there aren't many fights that go south.

That was super fun overall, and I'm probably going to restart with SCS (but a full party) shortly. Or maybe just the full party. It's a very different experience when you can't dodge fights you don't like by going invisible.

F/M/T is a fantastic class to solo, it's only weakness is not having access to 9th level spells (UAI aside), so yes if you remove the xp cap it gets all the uber nasty tricks. About Wish, it should be noted that even with a 18 wis+potions caster it's an unreliable trick in an ironman run and shouldn't fret too much about it.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I don't really have much time since I became a dad and also suffer from serious restartitis but I missed last year so I will roll with something safe:

Snori, a Dwarven Defender with godly stats (born hero):

DD has been my most successful class so far, so BG should be a cakewalk and-

Oh.

Should have named him Hubris instead but failing a save against the first Sleep spell is also :discourse:.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rip Stipley is...a Wizard Slayer no more?!?!?

Soon, because I'm about to dual him.

Amazon bounty hunter group. Their rogue rolled poorly on her backstab, luckily for Neera. (I don't think this group has a wizard.)

We start out pretty much toodling around the Sword Coast wrapping up the easy stuff.

Oh, it's that sort of ancient ruin.

Not sure which mod this is, Northern Tales of the Sword Coast I think. But there's an additional dungeon in Firewine that Charlie here wants us to explore.

Guys, I don't think this is our Grubhub order.

We drag Brage back to the Temple and then head out to rescue Dynaheir, and more importantly,

the Charisma tome.

Then we're off to Bandit Camp. Nothing much to report here, we wipe them out with...I won't say zero trouble, but it all works out.

(Wizards Slain: 12)

In the Cloakwood, we find this woman searching for her son who's been kidnapped by bandits, because of course he has.

Because we have Jaheira in our party and BG1 NPC Project installed, we can resolve this encounter peacefully in exchange for going on a rescue mission in Shadow Druid territory.

(We should have let them have Aldeth.)

But before we deal with that, we have to sort out Jonny's ex, and her spider problem.

(Wizards Slain: 13? I guess? I guess she's a wizard.)

Once more, the Encyclopaedia Jaherica comes through.

She failed to mention one pertinent fact about Shadow Druids, though.

They make really, really long speeches. At least these ones do.

There is, I am sad to report, a great deal of talking and/or negotiation. But we still kill the dude.

Always a pleasure, Cloakwood

At the start of the fourth Cloakwood area, we come across this guy, the person we're here to rescue from the Shadow Druids, five of whom have him surrounded.

(It's about this point that I scale the difficulty back to Tactical, because one of them's using Physical Mirror, a 6th level Druid spell, and gently caress dealing with that at this point in the game.)

This fight, against five fairly high-level druids, is pretty tough as is. It's possible to also aggro the Hamadryad in the area and fight both at the same time. I, uh, recommend against that.

Sorry, brother, your childhood sweetheart is extremely married.

We head back to the Treehouse to deal with the other Shadow Archdruid, seen here with a convenient fire shield because he's a frigging Salamander because he's an Avenger. I let him and his pals vent their rage on some summons and then let loose with every nuke I have. It more or less works.

He asks to surrender. He's a kidnapper and a torturer and comes with precast Iron Skins so we decide "gently caress that", and eat a -4 reputation loss. Fine, whatever, see if I care.

We rescue his prisoner, head back to Seniyad for a reward in the form of a magic club, and then get on with-

and then get on with-

AND THEN GET ON WITH-

gently caress you, Cloakwood.

We sort out the wyvern cave. I used a Protection from Poison scroll on Rip here because wyvern venom is nothing to gently caress around with and I've already had like three random encounters' worth of the drat things.

And then, at long last, we come to the group guarding the mines.

Results are...mixed. RIP, Drake. I decide rather than traipsing all the way back to town and getting him raised and fighting three dozen wyvern-riding ettercaps along the way, probably, that we're just gonna pick up Yeslick, mostly because I like the dude and I hardly ever pick him up. Plus this way we're still in Iron Party land.

(Wizards Slain: 15)

This is the kid we've been asked to rescue. It's, um, a good idea to send him outside before you flood the mines.

Hareishan's actually an easier fight than usual, even without a cleric on hand, even though the web I wanted to open with got turned into a color change effect, thank you Neera.

(Wizards Slain: 16)

We pick up our new dad and give Drake a hero's burial. Er, never mind exactly where.

Most of that damage is from Natasha tagging us with a lightning bolt while we were still in the hallway. We shut her spellcasting right down after that, and then we shut her down.

(Wizards Slain: 17)

This dialogue makes me laugh every drat time.

And then it's Daveorn. SCS Daveorn is kind of a pain, since among other things he opens with a web-stinking cloud sequencer that makes standing there to dart him to death right away a bad idea. I send Imoen in invisible to disarm all the traps, have her hit him with a poisoned arrow (which does help a bit) and send a summoned somethingorother (one of Jaheira's totem critters, I think) for him to play with while we retreat and deal with the battle horrors. A successful Web cast at the entrance takes care of the reinforcements that SCS brings in, and eventually Daveorn shows his face. I hit him with a faceful of Spell Failure Darts, plus I think he teleports into his own drat web (or something happened to otherwise incapicate him, I'm not really sure what) and it's curtains for him.

(Wizards Slain: 18).

Also, Rip's just hit Level 7. He did a bit ago actually but I didn't want to go into this fight with him as a low-level thief. So we're dual-classing now. (Imoen too, as it happens.)

But that's next time.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ok, Paladin wasn't cutting it. Time to get a bit more... Underhanded.

Gnomey the Illusionist/Thief is true neutral and speed running the game with magical might and lots of rests. He's packing Edwin, a dual classed Imoen after she got 100 trap finding, and himself as wizards. He's also recruited Branwen and Jaheira as divine casters, and the stubborn old Kagain as a rock solid tank. They've had adventure of questionable morals to keep reputation in the middle of the road to keep the party from grumbling too much and Gnomey the Illusionist/Thief is rolling into Cloakwood to search out the root of the iron problems..

Also, the chicken lived.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average 2 the human fighter marched off to war!

Everyone was very excited.

A cowardly crusader destroyed the bridge and his buddies tried to capture Joe, but failed!

Afterwards one of the Flaming Fist commanders blamed Joe for the destruction of the bridge, but Joe gave him a piece of his mind!

Anyway, the green dragon was killed, again. Protection from poison, protection from fire, remove fear + mass fire spam = one toasty green dragon.

The neothelid was being an even bigger rear end in a top hat than usual. Took it forever to show up for realsies (after popping out and immediately hiding again a few times) and even used its poison breath, but haha, I still had my protection from poison from the green dragon fight! No one took any damage. Jaheira took a few hits from the mordy swords.

The mind flayer fight is really something else. Counterintuitively, he's the least threatening member of the enemy party you'll find in that small room. That is of course, if you have chaotic commands up on everyone. If not then yeah he'll psi blast and eats your party's brains. You definitely want to soften them with a salvo of fire stuff from each member of your party. Ideally you want to kill the archer outright. Luckily that happened to me here.

The mind flayer also tends to YOLO charge at you, so it's really easy to move out of the line of sight of his buddies to isolate and kill him quickly.

Next I had Dynaheir lure the kensai out of the room with a fire wand scorcher. He too was quickly taken care of.

I tried to lure the dwarven defender/berserker/idk in the same manner but oopsie, seems like I pulled the mage as well.

No problem! Joe still had a stack of arrows of dispelling and removed all of the mage's buff with a single shot. I'll let you guess how fast he died (very.)

The dwarf felt loneliness just before the cold embrace of death.

And because I'm an idiot, I picked a fight with the shadow aspect *again*. This time it was Minsc that blew it up with a crit.

I don't know how I want to approach Bridgefort. Part of me wants nuclear armageddon but I'm not 100% sure. Dynaheir can't cast chaos or emotion or anything useful really. Vohglin could cast confusion or emotion but he only has a single level 4 spell slot (that I use for stoneskin.)

I might need the Flaming Fist to help but then I might accidentally aggro them with an errant fireball. I don't want to surrender because I want to make the siege of Dragonspear castle easier. I'll sleep on it, I guess.

Joe Average 2 the human fighter is preparing to lift the siege of Bridgefort

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

N00b question: Does this double as a BG containment thread? I've been prepping and drafting a BG1 SSLP but I'm not sure if the game's so common that LPing it would be a faux pas around here or not.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

JohnKilltrane posted:

N00b question: Does this double as a BG containment thread? I've been prepping and drafting a BG1 SSLP but I'm not sure if the game's so common that LPing it would be a faux pas around here or not.

Make a separate thread.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

JohnKilltrane posted:

If you want to post a SSLP, do it in a new thread, also remember to read the subforum rules.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Mistakingly overwrote this update. Oops.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 1, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wizard Slayer Thief Rip Stipley has cleared out most of the Sword Coast and learned along the way that there's more than one way to slay a wizard.

This update's going to jump around a fair bit because we're mostly clearing out wilderness areas.

When last we left our heroes, we had just killed Davaeorn, freed a bunch of slaves, and destroyed a perfectly good iron mine out of spite.

Good riddance, Cloakwood. The little blue circle is little Perwell, who is cheerfully following us home. "Home" in this case turns out to be the Friendly Arms Inn.

His mother is skeptical about his future career plans but is grateful enough to us, rewarding us with an elven longbow that is basically a reskinned The Dead Shot. Not particularly useful to us as we really only have one longbow user in the party, Khalid, and he's already using the actual Dead Shot, but a magic weapon we can sell for a nice chunk of change is always welcome, especially now that we have access to the shops in Baldur's Gate.

Speaking of which, we head up there and go on a bit of a shopping spree, as well as pick up the Dexterity tome. Our most notable purchase is a returning frost dart for Rip, which will be a gamechanger for him once he's out of dual class hell.

Dual class hell for a wizard slayer is particularly hellish, because while you of course don't keep the good (?) wizard slayer features, you DO keep the item restrictions. So right now he's a single-class thief who can't use pretty much any good gear. Fortunately thief levels come back quick and he'll be back to full strength in no time (if not in this particular update).

On our way back south, we run into:

Some Quest Mod Content, specifically the intro to The Stone of Askavar. We're seeing a couple of the primary enemies the mod throws at us, Teldorn mercenaries of various stripes, consisting of fighters, archers, and the occasional cleric, none of whom are a real big deal at this stage. And the stone golems who will kill you D-E-D dead.

We find this message on the mercenaries who intercepted a message from...someone...about a stone and five talismans. Basically there is a Stone of Askavar, the baddies want it, we should get it first, and a dude called Cearwin has the details.

Cearwin is at the Nashkel Carnival, but he sends us back to Beregost to talk to Aranor...

...and, we suspect, steals our ability to use commas reliably. If you have a drink with Aranor (or if you don't), he'll fill you in on the finer details, which are that there is a Stone of Askavar, the baddies want it, we should get it first, and a dude called Cearwin has the details.

We'll, uh, come back to this later.

We get on with things, heading to the Xvart Village Massacre. Didn't capture it, but Borda's a mage/thief so:

(Wizards Slain: 19)

Then onto the Lure of the Sirene's Call, figuratively and literally.

These fine smuggler/pirates have moved into the lighthouse and are having troubles with the locals. Sil, when you approach her, will accuse you of murdering her sisters, which, coincidentally we just have, but she's talking about the lighthouse folk. You have two choices here, and we pick the one that involves a much less annoying fight.

(SCS Sirenes are super, super annoying.)

This fight isn't difficult, there are a couple of fighters, a mage and a rogue. No particularly good gear either.

(Wizards Slain: 20).

Our reward from Sil is that we can go into the Flesh Golem cave without an additional fight, which we find to be a satisfactory reward, and I pick up the Constitution tome for Rip.

Then we deal with Shoal the Nereid. The good: Khalid saves against her Kiss of Death somehow. The bad: We accidentally kill her after we agree to help her and Droth never shows up, which means my Helm of Defense never shows up. Which is FINE. I GUESS.

IT'S FINE.

Off to Ulcaster (I told you we were bouncing around) and

THIS BULLSHIT.

This normally innocuous fight gets the hell buffed out of it by SCS for some reason. Once you get him close to death the first time, he calls on Myrkul, gets a bunch of resistances, heals back to full health, casts Draw Upon Holy Might and Call Lightning and who knows what else, oh and he advances time to strip away all of your combat buffs.

We win, but it's actually kind of close.

Inside the ruins, among other things we find:

There's a gnome (mod-added) in the Friendly Arms who's asked us to find this book for him.

...thank you, Neera.

Here's SCS's other contribution to the Ulcaster area. This Wolf of Ulcaster is no ordinary vampire wolf. It casts Horror. It summons wolves and ghouls. It does this A LOT. It dispels magic. And it has a poo poo ton of HP while still being a vampiric wolf.

Yeslick only had one Remove Fear prepped so at the tail end of the battle half my party is running screaming down endless corridors. Also into the fireball trap in the next room.

We all lived to tell the tale, though.

We return to the Inn and hand over the spellbook, which we find out contains something called the Great Formula, which caused the book's owner, Karlini, to disappear under mysterious circumstances. Naturally this fellow wants to do the exact same thing because he's a "scientist".

I, uh, think I know what happened to Karlini.

Yup. The tl;dr here is that the formula is a summoning ritual used to send sacrifices to this particular devil, and our buddy just signed himself up. Only the Balor is absolutely over having gnome scientists chattering at him for eternity, so he offers you their souls in exchange for yours.

Your options are to decline, in which case he goes on his merry and two gnomes are damned to the hells forever, fight him (lol), or...to agree in the name of science? He gets exasperated enough to let everyone go, but only if you can prove your scientific acumen, in the form of answering three trivia questions.

(Don't, uh, get them wrong.)

Karlini and friend are not exactly grateful for the rescue. But they give you a massive reward of 300 gold and a magic shield.

A quite good magic shield.

(I suppose technically this should decrement my slain wizards count. It won't, though.)

This update's already long enough so I'll leave the last few wilderness areas for the next one.

(Wizards Slain: 20)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 15, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Your "Inside the ruins" picture is the same as the one immediately before

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Your "Inside the ruins" picture is the same as the one immediately before

Thanks! Fixed.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

FairGame posted:

Make a separate thread.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't going to post it in here. I was just checking if this thread happening yearly meant that the board was oversaturated with BG stuff.

EDIT: I'm not explaining myself well. My question isn't about the rules, it's if I made a BG SSLP in a separate thread, would people be like "Aw man, *more* Baldur's Gate?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JohnKilltrane posted:

Oh, yeah, I wasn't going to post it in here. I was just checking if this thread happening yearly meant that the board was oversaturated with BG stuff.

EDIT: I'm not explaining myself well. My question isn't about the rules, it's if I made a BG SSLP in a separate thread, would people be like "Aw man, *more* Baldur's Gate?"

Naah, :justpost:

This thread is a yearly tradition, is all.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Hevn has suffered an accident.

Between going back to work and getting into Hades, I've barely found the time to continue this - finally got around to it.

Never actually joined the bandits before, so I get the dialogue wrong.

Second time's the charm.

Outside part of bandit camp is uneventful.
The tent, on the other hand:

Oops.

Fearless Khalid saves the day!

Around this point I remember that this spell exists, and I should probably start using it:

Off to Cloakwood, where I save an idiot from the druids he deliberately antagonized.

And then

oooh poo poo

Minsc dies.

I try to run Imoen away once she rolls a save, which eventually switches the ettercap's attention to

welp

Hevn has been killed by ettercaps (plus a web trap).

Think I'm done for now, might try again next year.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Thus begins the tale of Taylor Swift Elven Sorceress

I roll for a while.

Starting screen.

Do no stuff in Candlekeep and then ditch Imoen and go solo. I go talk to a drunk in a bar, buy a book and talk to Elvenbeard or whatever his name is. Go and help avenge a child's mother who was killed and get my first level up.

I head to Nashkel and talk to Noober a bunch for some free xp, head south to help a demon(devil? I forget which it is) find a lost dog and we get another level.

I head to the mines, do not go inside the mines and instead head east and north and kill the revenant in the tomb with some magic missiles and use the scroll of cloudkill to gain another level.

Melicamp dies and I go and save the guard with the cursed sword.

I go and fight the assassin inside the inn and she goes down to a blind. My backup plan was to just go inside and out of the door to kill her spell casting.

I pop a potion of speed to have enough distance to get spells off and blind Greywolf who it seems was crossed.

Fun fact casting the blind spell on people with blue circles doesn't turn turn them hostile if they save. She failed the first cast anyway but was kind a risk free endeavor.

Get some belts.

Bear.

Go and fight the cleric with all the skelly's and come very close to dying but after he got the spell off I moved as far away as possible before it actually touched me and took effect and for the entire 1 turn duration I was too far away for his AI to actually decide go kill that person.

After that I recruit a party and get the gem bag from Neera and I realize my big mistake. I was trying to get to 36,000 xp solo so all party members would get set to 36,000 xp as well to make the xp go as far as possible. Turns out I misremembered and the cap in BG1 for level up/free xp is 32,000 not 36,000. I nearly died to the cleric for no reason. I had 18 reputation before recruiting the party so I killed the guy with the cloak in the inn who's name I can't spell. We grab our party (reputation now 7 once Viconia joined) and head on our way.

Viconia has poo poo strength but if you can't normally equip an item due to strength and temporarily raise that persons strength they can still use the item when the temporary strength boost wears off.

We go and deal with Dynaheir and wow I never see this many gnolls spawn usually.

After that we go and kill baskilisk's I decided to save them until I had the whole party to make sure everyone leveled up a bunch. Then I headed south to Durlag's and got the one random encounter you never want to get. The dreaded baskilisk random encounter. I quickly headed south for an exit before it ever attacked and consider myself super lucky my end didn't go to complete poo poo there. I went to the roof and killed the baskilisks there and got the +2 scimitar for Jaheria then we went off to the mines which was over in 2 seconds basically.

Nimble falls to a horror.

Bandit camp is pretty uneventful and then I ditch Khalid and Jaheria and go to Cloakwood Lodge kill the druid for the nice xp and quest and then go and pick them back up and take a rest IRL.

Up next probably more Cloakwood.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Taylor Swift Elven Sorceress has defeated Sarevok.

I knew I wanted to dual class Imoen at level 6 so I kinda rushed through the Cloakwood skipping most of it's content to prevent Imoen from leveling up early and then having no thief for the Mines. I do some long distance skull traps and such and make quick work of the guys outside.

Some more on the inside and the leader of the mine dies without ever actually activating.

Make it to the big city.

Cure my poison.

Rescue this kid I guess.

Get some sick gloves.

Once Imoen dual classes I grind out 7 levels worth of mage for her to get her thief abilities back. Between this and similar grinds I probably killed 400-500 Ankhegs all run.

I wrap up some side quests I actually care about like Helm and Cloak of Balduran and then go to the Iron Throne. I lose iron party here as Viconia dies to I think a flame strike(not sure) where everyone else in the party was basically uninjured in the fight at the top of the Iron Throne.

I kinda rush through the rest of the content and manage to keep both dukes alive before invising my way through the thieves mage and past the party waiting for you after it. I planned on setting a bunch of skull traps for Semaj because if you send an invis character over to activate Sarevok he doesn't actually come and attack you but Semaj does. Sadly it had been too long since I played and I placed them slightly too far away and none of them went off. I hit them with a secret word and just focus fired them down but not before Viconia, Edwin and Khalid got chaosed. I said yolo and sent Jaheria in alone to trigger the fight after she used a scroll of protection from magic and then once Sarevok was standing on the skull popped an invis and ran back and forth to trigger traps. I'm not sure what went wrong here because she was still getting attacked so maybe something purged her invis no idea. Jaheria had 2 HP left when Sarevok died and I probably got real lucky.

Honors: Ironling, purist, librarian, honorable trader, battlemaster(if skull trap doesn't count)
Dishonors: none

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Taylor Swift got a non standard game over when the bridge got blown up which I think is bullshit because the dude was already dead for a few seconds before the summoned happened as well as had a chaos on them before that but whatever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheesetriangles posted:

Taylor Swift got a non standard game over when the bridge got blown up which I think is bullshit because the dude was already dead for a few seconds before the summoned happened as well as had a chaos on them before that but whatever.

Lol Taylor Swift. Make a half-ling character next and name it “Cobbler Slow.” See what I did there?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
After getting bored and restarting a couple times, I’ve finally decided which party to run. Instead of going after the usual bs, I decided to create a premade party just for flavor (and bad puns). Let me introduce you to the Green Party.

Mak Hamma, the half-orc Shaman. He’s da boss and dance master extraordinaire.

Orcamungus, the half-orc Barbarian. The designated meatslab.

Smashface, the half-orc Berzerker. He’s pissed.

Torgut, the half-orc Swashbuckler. Our lovable rogue.

Big Kruppa, the half-orc. The musical support, and yes, I know it’s an illegal class/race combination.

I’m also running the Improved Shamanic Dance mod just to spice things a little, the changes seems fairly mild.

The Green Party is ready to leave Candlekeep!

cheesetriangles posted:

RIP Taylor Swift, that's a sad way to lose an ironman character.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Elton John the Human Cavalier has defeated Sarevok and decided to skip straight to BG2.

I started off solo doing some easy quests Melicamp lived then I was like I bet killing these flesh golems is good xp oops that turns the mage hostile guess I'm never getting that potion case.

Got a party did some questing had some people die. Everyone died multiple times all game except me.

Watch out for lightning bolts.

All tomes.

So for Sarevok my master plan was to load Imoen, Minsc and Khalid up with Arrows of Detonation and put a scroll of Protection from Magic on Elton John and have Jaheria with a Wand of the Heavens and Dynaheir with a Wand of Fire. Turns out Protection from Magic doesn't stop Arrows of Detonation and also Imoen and Dynaheir were standing too close so they got killed right away. So I went Elton John, Khalid and Minsc into melee and just had Jaheria use the Wand of the Heavens. This worked better but Elton John started taking huge damage froom Sarevok so I had him put on the Boots of Speed after unequipping Spiderbane and he just kinda ran away as Sarevok died to the Wand of the Havens.

Honors:Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, Roleplayer
Dishonors:None

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No UI scaling breaks my eyeballs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Killing the flesh golems doesn't turn the wizard hostile if you haven't seen the wizard yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've fallen down an Path of Exile rabbit hole but Rip Stipley's saga will continue!

Er, eventually.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

docbeard posted:

I've fallen down an Path of Exile rabbit hole but Rip Stipley's saga will continue!

Er, eventually.

Same. Joe Average will be back!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average 2 the human fighter is back!

What has he been up to since reaching the coalition camp?

Shenanigans!

Mass mage slaying!

Ghost dragon freeing!

Lich freeing!

Lich slaying!

Guardian of liches slaying!

Interrupting audiences with devils and more mass mage slaying!

Whew that was close but Joe pulled through and escaped the basement of Dragonspear castle! I now hear the crusaders want to parlay! This could be over soon!!!

Joe Average 2 the human fighter is on his way to the Dead Man Pass parlay!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average 2 the human fighter is fighting for his life!

First he had to defend the coalition camp!

Then it was decided it was time to bring the fight to Caelar!

With some casts of horror and singing from Voglhin the initial clusterfuck of a battle went fairly well.

You have to hunt and kill Caelar's BFF Ashatiel as her death is the trigger for the inner courtyard gates to open. First time she sees you she offers to duel your PC one on one with a bunch of silly rules that she allows herself to break (she says no invisibility but uses sanctuary, for example.) I wasn't going to 1v1 a high level cleric/mage with a unkitted fighter with 10 in every stat.

She flees when you refuse her (who's the coward now, Aasimar?) The battle with her lieutenants was harder than I remembered and I lost Jaheira and the bard. They weren't chunked, thankfully. Glint raised them.

After carving through a lot more troops we finally spotted Ashatiel again...

... and successfully wand of paralyzation'ed her. There would be no more fleeing or sancturary'ing now.

Pretty words won't save you now, Caelar. This is almost over.

Turns out the obviously evil mage dude is... obviously evil. Ashatiel kept talking poo poo about or to Joe in every loving cutscene but she was somehow totally oblivious to someone that was just under her nose the entire time.

Well isn't this just a pleasant scenery.

Raising the bard bugged out in a weird way and he was permanently stuck... somewhere. I couldn't see his paperdoll anywhere. So I kicked him out, hoping that would make him move and trigger a conversation but it didn't. So now I have 1 less party member and no one to cast enchanted weapon (Dynaheir can't use enchantment magic.) Great.

Joe Average 2 is in hell!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average 2 the human fighter in the battle out of hell!

We start off with a little oopsie. I forewent using chaotic command on Joe because I was running out of scrolls and a clever demon dire charmed him.. which turned out to be no big deal, thankfully. I even paralyzed him and the last crusader attacking him and waited out the charm's duration.

Anyway, plowed through some devils. Asked the riddler for the staff+3 as a reward so Jaheira would have something to hit the final boss with. Minsc has the dragon blade +3 and Joe has some arrows+3 so it works out.

A spoopy tower with an elevator leading to the final area....

that you can actually safely rest in.

And buff the hell up.

There are 3 battles with trash mobs on the way up. When you're done with 2 of them, it's a good time to start quaffing potions with short durations.

:siren: CAELAR FINALLY MAKES A GOOD DECISION :siren:

The battle starts off well, as it should since the party is tripping on all sorts of buffs and potions.

Belifhet is a little evasive though. Unfortunately for him, the adds he started with and summons periodically are complete trash that only take 1 or 2 hits to kill. He has nowhere to run.

Ha! Caelar gets the killing blow. How about that?

Anyway Joe is accused of some dumb bullshit or another. Who cares.

But he gets escorted out of jail by the Flaming Fist... who believe that he didn't do whatever the gently caress? Man what a dumb loving city.

Sup Imoen, sup gang. We out.

DONE

Joe Average 2 is on his way to Baldur's Gate 2

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Very noice

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average 2 the human fighter awoke in Athkatla! A small improvement to Avernus.

Ribald gambit successful. Won't really have to worry about healing.

So Joe freed some slaves...

dispensed some justice on slavers...

cheesed a lich for an easy daystar...

and expressed his concern as to the Shadow Druid's methods of, uh, helping nature.

Sweet reward! That's going to go on Joe for, hmm, probably ever.

Apparently Xzar died.

As did Montaron!

Also Jaheira chunked an ambitious harper dude.

Joe Average 2 the human fighter is questing in Amn!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Wherein Joe Average 2 the human fighter realizes Amn isn't any better than Baldur's Gate!

There's like a billion thieves. Joe had to cull a few!

There was a loving beholder lair right under the city with a bunch of worshiping weirdos who lost their poo poo when Joe killed the big one.

More fallen paladins than you can shake a stick at!

And of course you can't go anywhere without coming across a bunch of people that Jaheira pissed off. That one was a slaver though, and the only good slaver is a dead one.

While clearing the vampire nest I forgot about Tanova who nearly ruined my poo poo. But Joe panically bravely stepped forward and deployed the ion cannon to snuff her out.

Couldn't even get a screenshot of the Bodhi fight, she noped out very quickly.

Felt like it was a bit too early to sail to Spellhold so I stopped by De'arnise Keep for another +3 weapon. Joe is an animal lover and did not sacrifice the good doggies to distract the umber hulks.

Alas, Glaicus could not be charmed out of his trance. hey cool another free full plate

Even with -11 AC Jaheira got beat up pretty bad by the hulks. That's why you buff up!

AND debuff the enemy. Slowed and blinded, Tor'gal and his buddies were no match.

Joe was lacking the world's tiniest violin to play a sad tune for poor Nalia, doomed to a life of luxury.

Joe Average 2 the human fighter is (probably) on his way to Spellhold!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average 2 the human fighter goes on a cruise!

First port of call had a nasty welcome committee :(

But Joe's frown turned upside down when he came across an old friend! Hello gorgeous.

Oh and Imoen too I guess. That's... not a lot of experience, sis.

Taking the maze nice and slow with a fire elemental pointman, er, pointthing? Anyhoo

I sure am glad I remembered the disintegration trap on one of the paintings and cast death ward on Jaheira beforehand because she did not make her save.

Walked into the Irenicus fight completely unbuffed and got a good scare when time suddenly stopped.

But Joe got out of there unscathed! Only to get boarded by githyanki and sharkpeople yeesh

Wow this underwater city sucks

Joe wasn't too keen on letting a genocide slowly happen so he helped overthrow the king...

who dropped this baby. :swoon: Hello Jaheira's weapon until that +6 spear at the end of ToB.

And before leaving let's not forget to pickpocket the prince for his half of the wave halberd

Onward! ... to an even worse-looking place.

Joe Average 2 the human fighter is spelunking in the Underdark.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average 2 the human fighter battles through the underdark!

We start off with a nice mind flayer ambush where Jaheira got quickly crit twice and died to brain drain. Oh boy! I won't be able to raise her until Aerie can rest to memorize raise dead.

I sure wish I had my main DPS/tank for this drow party!

Wait, Aerie has a wondrous recall. I don't need to rest to get raise dead. Ugh.

During the tunnel collapse mini quest Jaheira and Keldorn were stunned and quickly murdered. Minsc isn't exactly a tank so he couldn't hold it for long, fortunately Joe managed to finish it off.

More stunning ---> Murdering my party members. So fun!

This drow war party landed the mother of all ________ (try to guess!) and got Keldorn, Jaheria, Minsc AND Aerie. Joe cleaned up but the drow did the usual AI tactic of "murder stunned targets, ignore everyone else". No priests, no temples in the Underdark, no rods of resurrection. This run is over unless someone has a brilliant idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Wish scroll? Or impromptu solo run :black101: