Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
I don't know why people think there are no cheaters. I run across blatant cheaters at least once every night I play with a high skill group. I'm guessing the amount of cheaters you run across is based on your ranking. When I play with lower skilled groups I tend to run across less cheaters. I've played this game regularly for a few years so I'm very aware of map layout, gameplay mechanics, etc.

Just a few things I see regularly:
  • Entire team getting wiped from headshots well past fog rendering distance. This one is probably the most obvious cheating. We usually just exit the match at the start if it's fog because of cheating.
  • Obvious aimbots and/or wallhacks, especially once you can spectate after you die. The bad cheaters will lock and track on to people through walls perfectly. The really obvious cheaters will continually try to wallbang through surfaces that cannot be shot through. This can be pretty obvious like an entire team getting wiped by a nitro penetrating multiple walls with no possible vision. Once or twice is maybe just luck, but reliable blind kills in multiple games by the same person through 2-3 walls is very suspect.
  • Blatant teaming. This isn't a hack, and isn't technically cheating if done organically. Surprisingly it happens less than cheating, but we occasionally come across 6-man teams; sometimes the same groups of people. It's very obvious during the fight and can be 100% confirmed via spectating. The most annoying ones are those that fake fighting each other to draw you in and then fight you 6v3.
We'll often run into the same cheaters in a night, or within a day or so apart, amusingly they often have a name containing cheater or a play on words about cheating. I've even seen cheaters that have steam screenshots on their profile of texture replacements. I guess with a high rank the pool is smaller? I usually have to take a break from the game for a week or two because the obvious cheating is so bad. It's just not fun to get teamwiped through 2 walls by the same cheater multiple times a night.

Some other things that are frustrating but probably just bad/wrong UI:
  • Significantly reduced damage. For example, a gun does a minimum of X damage, but for some reason it does less than half per shot to an enemy when spectating.
  • Summoning weapons out of thin air. I've been spectating and seen players pull out weapons they don't have. Could just be a UI bug but it's bizarre.
There is also just straight up bullshit from lovely netcode:
  • Hits not registering despite getting the hitmarker. IE: Weapon does minimum X amount of damage, you hit enough times to do 150-200+ damage without heal time but no kill. I strongly suspect the hitmarker is client side which is bullshit.
  • Ping drastically changes hitbox. It's much harder to hit people if they're from overseas. When a teammate dies we look up the steam profile to see if the other players are from China or wherever, which means we need to lead more/spread out our shots more to get more reliable hits. It's also just obvious after taking a few shots that the person you are shooting at is a high ping player. No other game gives such a huge advantage to high ping players apart from peeker's advantage. That said, I know it's also harder to hit other people when you have a high ping so it's not an across-the-board advantage. These players will often use something spammy like a Dolch to make up for lovely ping. There are a lot of overseas teams on US-West too, presumably because cheating is even worse there.
  • Ping just causes a lot of issues not present in other shooters. I used to play with 15-20ms ping, and had to completely relearn the game after moving and having 40-60ms ping. Such a small change doesn't make as much of a difference in other shooters.
I see in a lot of places that people complaining about cheaters are just wrong and they need to git gud or whatever. But the real fact is that there are cheaters. A lot of them. A least in certain skill brackets.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

DarkDobe posted:

I want to stress that the specter is trash garbage that offers almost no advantage over any of the other shotguns in a realistic fight, and distinct disadvantages otherwise.

The range is awful, the damage isn't great, and the re-fire - the pump action - is too slow to actually be a benefit vs all but the most brain dead players/teams. You're more likely to wipe a duo with a double barrel shotgun than you are with the specter. Or probably better off shotgunning one and stabbing the other, if you are in that sort of range. It's terrible.

All the weapons in the game are viable and nothing is really trash. The Specter is actually quite good, but has tradeoffs you have to be aware of. Only the Romero has a longer range for a shotgun, so I wouldn't exactly characterize the range as 'awful', unless all the other shotguns have awful range too. Yeah it 'cycles' slower than a Rival, but you can use it more like a Romero 77 in range, and you get a lot of anti-push followup firepower.

I think the longer ranged, lower damage shotguns (Auto 5 and Specter) get a bad rap because, like all shotguns, the damage falloff is brutal. You can only fight within the predetermined range and better not even pull the trigger otherwise. The other shotguns are much more skewed to one side, like the Romero having high damage and range, or the Rival having great damage at short range, with a quick followup, that the more 'average' balanced shotguns just tend to be less consistent unless you are disciplined in their use.

If I were to choose the 'worst' shotgun it'd probably be the Specter bayonet. In that case, yeah, it's just a slower firing Rival since you get a few meters of effective range chopped off. Whether the bayonet is worth that is questionable.

Also I guess I should note that I play trios a lot more these days, so maybe the Specter is skewed a bit better there since sometimes you need 3 shots :getin:

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Basticle posted:

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Significantly reduced damage. For example, a gun does a minimum of X damage, but for some reason it does less than half per shot to an enemy when spectating.
could you elaborate on this please?

Sure. It's hard to get up-to-date damage numbers as they aren't really published but here's an example of a reasonably accurate breakdown:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m7Ijh7nJqlaFPjugIgxUmWEbO64h6frCEHL7rmeyLpI/edit#gid=0

Rule out shotguns for this because of the shot spread you can't get reliable hit marker to damage calculation.

For example, the minimum damage an uppercut will do at 10m is 70 for a leg hit. Fan a hunter and hit 4 times (with 4 hit markers) and get killed and immediately spectate. No time for their health to have regenerated between those 4 hits but when you spectate they still have 75+ health left. It's like they are getting teammate damage reduction.

Other stuff like you and a teammate both tap the same guy with a Sparks at 40m and get hit markers. It's impossible to not get a kill as it does a minimum of 160 damage. But they still don't die. Stuff like that is why I feel the hit marker is client-side or there is some other bullshit going on. Or the damage system the devs have told is is a complete lie or is just broken.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 31, 2020

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

This site breaks my brain. It's somehow worse than the UI in Hunt. The same damage numbers apply though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

re: shotguns, there's also that le mat pistol that comes with a shotgun shell in the middle and an ammo-switching button that no other gun in the game uses, getting you killed in your confusion

Dual wielding turns them into a monster. Switch from short range head clickers to clicking people dead at close range. But yeah, it's quite hard to get a kill if you don't have the second shell as a backup.

Also, who said the Specter doesn't do enough damage?
https://streamable.com/8fi33e