Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Contrary to a lot of peers, i found myself with a lot less time to dive into new stuff this year, so my list mostly consists of known quantities. First of, the special prices:

Would have watched, but had absolutely no time during its run Awards: Lovecraft County, Raised by Wolves.

Missed opportunity awards: Beyond Walking Dead - Making Zombies scary again by showing how soft an adapted civilization becomes in a short time was a neat idea. Sadly everything else devolved in the usual Walking Dead slog.
Picard - Again, interesting premise, but the inability to resist shoehorning old characters and a terrible conclusion equals no spot in my Top10.

Downer Award: Agents of Shield. I cannot justify a positon in my Top10 if I can't remember a single positive thing of this season. All the Alternative-Space-Time-Travel-Alien-Clone stuff got too much for me.

Promising first Impression award: Star Girl. Just solid for now, but has potential to get better.

Would have watched and probably placed, but learned about its existence by reading this thread: Hilda Season 2

Why is this not a Top11 Award: His Dark Materials. Honestly, I could place this one anywhere between 7-10. Good to outstanding (Ms. Coulter) acting by essential cast members and competent design and FX. But the story seemed just meandering. Didn't and will not read the books, but will watch season 3

Now let's go dishing out the Points!

10. The Outpost

I'm a traditionalist. And I can't be mad at a show that is essentially what happens when you hand an early 80s PnP Dungeon Master and his friends a couple 1000$$ to act out their DnD campaign.

9. Wynonna Earp

Kinda same. But seemingly invented by a slightly older, but not more mature crew on several Friday-night-hangouts. The humor is definitely a matter of taste. For me, it works.

8. The Wilds

Clicked on this believing it was a one-off movie. Ended binging all 10 hours over one weekend. Starts with some very strong character backstory episodes. That they at first glance mostly delivered typical archetypes but kept me glued to the screen highlights the acting talent of the whole cast and the utter failure that are Walking Dead's attempts at the same thing. The development on the island was also way more engaging than Lost. I still don't know what to make of the turn towards the end, but I hope it will surprise me again next Season.

7. The Mandalorian

This shows that a story is always better when told on a more direct and personal level instead of that ridiculous galactic-danger-powercreep the movies showed us. I feel getting rid of the Yodababy-merch-machine was a bold and necessary move and bodes well for future seasons.

6. Vagrant Queen

Stupid fun Sci-Fi. Doomed from the start but absolutely glorious in its crappiness. Tried too hard to be Killjoys+ at the beginning. Sadly we will never learn how the long-story, which I assume the writers had, plays out.

5. The Boys

From what I learned about the source comics the series is a vast improvement. Nice illustration for when you take comprehensible motivations, take them to the extreme and enforce them with even more extreme measures. Anthony Starr is a real acting-Superhero.

4. Strike Back

Still maybe the best Action-show. But I'm glad it was the last season. There's only so much stuff to blow up and so much kinds of terrorists to stop. Maybe we get a new team in 5 years?

3. The Expanse

Always a contender for the #1 spot. This year seems a bit slow on the action-side so far, but we've only seen half of it until now. So far it is mostly setup and a showing what happens, when the crew is set on separate paths. The fact, that this is still very captivating is a testament to the shows qualities.

2. Legends of Tomorrow

Stays the best superidiots show by a wide margin. It should have gotten stale by now, but somehow manages to refuse every trite conventions in a most entertaining way. Losing Ray Palmer hurts, but by now I would not be surprised, if the next season stays as strong somehow. "Somehow" should be the most used word to describe this show. Almonst nothing should work, but SOMEHOW almost everything does.

1. Snowpiercer

Maybe not the best in any measurable metric but somehow something clicked with me. As suspected from the start, the murder-mystery was just the hook which led us deep into the problematics of a post-apocalyptic class-system which is barely held together by a single person Wizard-of-Ozing desperately to keep the engine running and simultaneously the fragile truce alive between the "Tailies" and the First-class people.If you poke around, you may find a lot of holes, but as a whole it tells a great tory with a lot of unique characters. And who knew, that that cute red-headed singer-girl from Mr. Fantastic could play such a beautiful psychopath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Fantastic rundown. Thanks, Looten!