Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I guess I'll start though I never have too much to say. Holy poo poo I didn't realize how much I cut back on my tv watching. There were tons of series where I watched 1-2 episodes and never got back to them. We cancelled our Directv very early this year because we weren't watching it enough even with the stay at home periods, but even keeping up several streaming services there wasn't much that I sat down and watched. Here's some brief thoughts about my top 10 if what I did get to.

10 Picard It was nice seeing Patrick Stewart again but the overall story and plot beats were a bit meh. The supporting cast didn't grab me too well either. I wish he'd stayed on the vineyard with his romulan staff, they were more interesting and maybe he could have played with his dog and had a wine war with Q who settled in and bought the vineyard next door. That would have been more fun.

9 Westworld I liked it well enough. This season basically came down to a worse Person of Interest and made me want to rewatch that show instead, but all the technology was fun to watch.

8 The Good Place This should be a higher show on my list than 8 but only a few episodes aired this year. I was happy with it but overall but I did find I don't really like serialized comedies. At least, without binging them. Moreso than dramas, having a weeks to months breaks in between episodes feels disruptive to me. Regardless it was a fun experiment and I feel like they sunk the landing, I just might wait for a streaming binge if another show tries that.

7 The Boys This was the best show I watched this year where I pretty much didn't like any of the cast. Karl Urban is great chewing the scenery but needs to get back to making more Dredd movies. I also had a coworker water cooler spoil some of the moments for me so I mostly watched it for the special effects.

6 Amazing Race This slot is usually Survivor for me and is pretty much a rotating slot with Big Brother, The Mole, Duck Dynasty, Storage Wars, American Pickers, that show with Ozzy Osbourne roadtripping with his son, etc. I've watched them with my Grandfather for our tv night for 20 years. I had to stay away mostly this year because of the pandemic and how my family decided to distance. Finally I started visiting for Amazing Race which we were glad to see again. It was weird watching Americans run screaming around airports and crowded foreign markets again. We didn't really care who won but also there was nobody egregiously unwatchable to root against either. It was a fine show and I hope they bring it back when they can.

5 Star Trek Discovery I'm a few episodes behind and its been said to death that they need to have Burnham sit down a bit and showcase the rest of the cast more. OG Trek at least had the trio, and the rest have been better at sharing the spotlight, but I guess they did have 20+ episodes per season instead of 13 or less. Still, I like this season more than the first two so far and it scratches the itch better than Picard until Orville comes back or Captain Pike gets his show. I do need to watch more of Lower Decks which I hear is better.

4 Devs I loved this show earlier this year. I distinctly remember thinking I should jot some thoughts into notepad for this very list since it would be 3/4 a year and I'd forget all about it. I decided not to and now I regret it. The story whiffed a bit but I liked the actors, the visuals and the sound of the show. I'm a big fan of Alex Garland and loved every movie he's been involved in.

3 Lovecraft Country This show made me confront myself a bit because I found myself thinking it is so ridiculous... then I imagined a white person in some of the roles and realized I've been privileged enough to see this kind of show all the time. Maybe not put together in this context, but still. It was a lot of fun to watch, many holy poo poo moments, seeing big budget Lovecraft is great. I don't think True Detective would have been hurt by adding a few shoggoths or a fox demon. This show is what I want American Horror Story to be. Real horror one moment, monsters the next, some Indiana Jones for flavor, weird sex scenes, sci fi wonder, time travel, this show had it all. I'm looking forward to what they do next.

2 Evil I miss shows like the X-Files and this fit in that niche pretty well. A great cast, always fun seeing Michael Emerson ham it up. The kids aren't as annoying as tv kids usually are, the VR episode notwithstanding. It could have used more episodes as well and I'm curious about season 2 after the crazy not-a-trailer they put out.

1 Mandalorian No surprise here, I'm a big Star Wars nut since my earliest years, though I fell off a bit since the Prequels and now I kind of want to go back and watch the Filoni cartoons. I have to apologize to Jon Favreau because I liked Vince Vaughn more in Swingers but after the Marvel movies and Mandalorian I feel I have to go back and rewatch the movie and give him another shot. Ironically Mandalorian's cartoony nature is rubbing me the wrong way a bit (I know its a meme that Stormtroopers can't shoot for poo poo but come on). I still appreciate it for what it does do well and for saving Star Wars from developmental hell after Disney hosed up the Sequel trilogy. Gotta love Baby Yoda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ljtg5vXYQ

I may come back and flesh this out some more later but the above is pretty much literally the only 10 shows I watched this year. A couple of others like Doom Patrol but I didn't count them because the episodes I watched were from 2019 or earlier. My prayer for 2021 is that I can get myself to watch better quality tv but I foresee my list in 2021 or at least 2022 being all Disney Marvel/SW shows anyway.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU