Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
Behold my super Senerio-esque list, except I’m a cis straight dude with no excuses except these shows were great.

Since 2020 managed to make my 2019 favorite Chernobyl look like a feel-good story about how a nation can pull together to overcome existential doom, and there’s a bunch of anxiety and depression issues in my household, I was making a very conscious choice to search out shows that would be uplifting. Which meant pretty much blazing through all the great kid focused shows that have been coming out lately. Thank goodness there’s so many of them.

Some honorable mentions that weren’t quite good enough or just managed to barely miss being in 2020: The Expanse, Doom Patrol, Cobra Kai, and The Boys.

10- Lovecraft Country
The promise and ambition this show wrestles around with makes it worth it, but a lot of it does bog down with some pretty pulpy plot contrivances that take away from all the good things the cast and crew are doing. When they’re going for the weird and wild though, it’s really great.

9- Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure
Lots of fun, catchy songs, and manages to frolic through some rather dark themes at points.

8- Harley Quinn
It’s a cartoon for adults with all the swears! Hell yeah! It’s also really good and makes excellent use of some z-list DC characters like Kite Man.

7-Star Trek: Lower Decks
Just like this was the best scene of TNG and The Voyage Home is (almost) the best trek movie, Lower Decks is the best Star Trek in ages.

6- Primal
One of many shows on my list about the power of friendship! And in this case, also about rivers of blood and rage. Primal walks the tightrope of fantastic design, storytelling, and worldbuilding all without needing the safety net of dialogue.

5- The Mandalorian
Despite being plotted like a tabletop rpg run by some nerds really into hitting those nostalgia notes, the execution and heart of this show is just too good to ignore. It’s nice to know Star Wars can still be great.

4- The Owl House
This show is goofy, has some real wit to it, and even makes time to show how loving dumb a golden snitch is in any sorts of sports ball design by putting its protagonists on the losing side of it :lol:

3- Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts:
In an age when it feels like half of television is set in a grim and gritty post-apocalypse, Kipo spins the world after the collapse of humanity into something really magical. Plus Karen Fukuhara gets to lead with that voice the whole time.

2- Hilda:
Hilda is about as warm a blanket of a show you could ever hope to find to cuddle up to. Pretty amazing discipline in its use of color palette too that I wish more animated shows would take a lesson from.

1- She-ra and the Princesses of Power:
This show is unabashedly pastels and rainbows, and I’m loving here for it. It takes some time setting up its large cast and getting around to its real stakes, but then the emotional rollercoaster it does with all that preamble is really quite stunning. It turns out you can solve all sorts of problems with the power of friendship and have those triumphs feel earned rather than contrived. Or even plan out satisfying character arcs that unfold across seasons. Who knew?
Still can’t get over how good this turned out to be.

edited because I like every other poster in this thread forgot about Lower Decks

Hobbes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

Lurdiak posted:

What!!! They said it was coming in 2021!

E: Excuse me I'll be back in 13 episodes.

Haha.

Also I had to edit my list because I forgot about Lower Decks somehow.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
On the advice of this thread I am now watching Ted Lasso and I am sad I didn't watch it in time to put it on my list. Next up, Good Lord Bird and then The Queen's Gambit maybe? Thanks goons!
edit: thanks Looten Plunder too!