Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

10. Fargo

“East/West” was a tour de force. The rest wasn’t as great as previous seasons, but I loved that episode at least.

9. The Mandalorian

I have some issues with the finale, but the penultimate episode was one of my favorite of the year.

8. Snowpiercer

A well-executed spin on the same idea as the movie. Not quite as polished, but still good.

7. Great Pretender

A really charming, fun anime about con artists with great characters. The ending is a little lacking imo, but worth a watch.

6. Rent-a-Girlfriend

The best anime I watched this year was also the horniest. Underneath all the fanservice and jokes about the protagonist’s masturbation habits was a surprisingly heartfelt story about a dude with severe validation issues trying to learn self-respect, as well as the human need to form relationships with other people.

5. Agents of SHIELD

The final season was a joyous celebration of everything the show is and was.

4. What We Do In The Shadows

Jackie Daytona is so loving good. Almost as funny as any scene with Harvey Guillén.

3. Better Call Saul

HOW DOES RHEA SEEHORN NOT HAVE AN EMMY

2. The Good Place

The finale was incredible. One of my new favorite sitcom endings.

1. Dispatches From Elsewhere

This can’t be everything there is. It just can’t. Something has to change. There has to be more.

Dispatches From Elsewhere is a show about that impulse. It’s about the desire to know you’re special. It’s about not knowing how to be happy. But more than that, it’s a self-directed conversation from the creators about what happiness is and where it comes from, an exploration of what people do when they’re fixed in place: by routine, by loss, by themselves.

It so easily could have become this unbearably twee, masturbatory exercise, and at times, it almost is. But the show seems aware of that, and it slowly peels away at itself, slowly lowers the façade. None of the big, “important” stuff was actually the point. None of it mattered. It was hope, but it wasn’t happiness. It was the promise of a solution, but the answer wasn’t some game, it was always you. And that answer might sound easy, but it’s actually the hardest one possible. This show never lets you or its characters off with the easy answer. It always pays respects to the hard parts, to the complications. How do you reckon with yourself, love yourself, change yourself? You can’t, not alone. Because that’s the other half: it’s always you, but it’s never just you. You just have to know that. You just have to ask.

The finale is going to be controversial, but I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dispatches From Elsewhere is already way higher than I had any hopes for

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good job BCS