Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can I vote for all three seasons of Kipo separately? I know 2020 time dilation and all, but it's really weird that all of this happened this year.

I feel like that would be against precedent; in previous years you couldn't vote for The Good Place twice, even when it had aired the back half of one season and the front half of another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Part IV eligible for the 2020 competition or the 2021 competition?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It came out today, right? So I would assume it would be eligible for this poll.

Google said midnight on the 31st, so I assumed it'd be considered ambiguous.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm stupid exhausted, and had difficulty putting this list together. If there are random run on sentences or whatever, that's why.

10. Schitt's Creek

Sorry, Ted Lasso, I only have room on my top ten list for one cute show about the healing power of niceness, and this show wins.

9. Better Call Saul

An excellent season of an excellent show -- and, I agree with Escobarbarian above when I say that it's the best season that's come out of Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul. Kim's great, Saul's great, the drug plot finally feels relevant to the show (and it's tense af). But, I'm going to be honest, after over a decade spent in this universe, I'm beginning to tire of the whole vibe of the piece, which is why it ranks to comparatively low. Still, very good.

8. Cursed

Best adventure series of the year, excellently plotted and emotionally compelling, and, yeah, fun. I like the way it's unabashedly weird and wild, borrowing from history and Arthurian lore with these big, ambitious swings. I was consistently surprised by the way the plot moved, and the speed with which it travelled; it's the rare super serialised show that feels like an actual epic, rather than just an morass of subplots. I also appreciate the way it used its Arthurian lore to structure the show as a tragedy.

7. P-Valley

Not sure anyone around here watched this, but if you didn't you should probably give it a chance. P-Valley concerns the prospects of a struggling strip club down in Mississippi, and the women and men who work there. It's

6. The Wilds

I loved the first episode, until the end, which I absolutely hated. But I gave subsequent episodes a punt and I fell back in love. The performances from its teenage cast are very, very good, and I like that the characters are frequently so lovely to each other, in ways I find believably human.

If Lost was ever truly character driven, it would be a lot more like this show.

5. Raised By Wolves

A Biblical parable gussied up with a bit of science fiction. It's compelling, weird, and occasionally quite beautiful. Plus the show's decision to engage in wordless exposition shows just how stupid a lot of shows expect their audiences to be.

4. Mrs America

The other show on this list about women tearing shreds out of each other. If I were dating shows, it would seem I have a type.

3. We Are Who We Are

Heady and emotionally charged, capturing the experience of being a queer teen in a way that's both uncomfortable and probably very honest. Great performances, beautifully shot. Deeply, deeply indulgent too, probably in ways that aren't worth investigating too closely. But absolutely worth your time anyway.

2. Industry

A satire that's meaner than black ice, this -- along with Succession -- was a real throwback to HBO's shut-up to keep-up era of television (aka its Golden Age). Unlike a lot of lesser shows, Industry never makes the mistake of falling in love with its cast (thank god), and seems to firmly understand what acceptable human behaviour should look like without ever falling into mawkishness or moralising.

1. Avenue 5

A queasy social satire masquerading as a space comedy, with a mid-season horror sequence that'll stick with me for a long time. I've no idea why people didn't like this very much, barring a couple of poo poo jokes in the pilot, this show's been excellent. Excellent acting by funny, likable performers (some of whom are playing terrifying monsters, to be sure). The set design, equal parts IKEA and Charlie and Chocolate Factory, was stunning. Probably the year's best soundtrack too; sorry The Mandalorian.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

This show came out in 2018.

There was a new season this year?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's such a cheesy poster for Lasso tho.

Edit: great show tho, obvs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Hey, it's surprisingly hard to find high resolution landscape images that have the show title in them. Did you notice my terrible MS PAINT job on the How to with John Wilson image?

Oh man, that's not on you! I'm just surprised that comedy previews still haven't worked out how to do good advertising.

See: NBC promos, where everyone is staring goofily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

In a call back to the 2017 Oscars, upon constructing the final post today, I realised one of the ballots got missed (i'd like to blame the user for not checking the linked post in the OP, but really, it's on me).

This resulted in:
-We Are Who We Are being bumped from the top 30 (I'll leave it there for prosperity)

bastardo!