Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
10) The Boys -- A fun superhero romp that hates fascists? I'm in.

9) Devs -- Lots of missed opportunities here. It reminded me a lot of Mr Robot and scratched a lot of the same itches. There were a couple better shows that could have been made from this one but it tried to reach for something greater even if it didn't quite grab that ring.

8) Raised By Wolves -- Real weird poo poo. It reminds me a lot of 12 Monkeys (the series) in that it decides to just go completely off the rails and is better for it. Just wild weird poo poo.

7) What We Do In The Shadows -- Continues to be just a blast. Funny as hell.

6) Avenue 5 -- What if Aniara but funny instead of incredibly depressing?

5) The Mandalorian -- S2 had some issues with focus since it included backdoor pilots to at least 2 probably 3 and possibly more. That diluted the story and let Filoni get really indulgent in a bad way. That said, Mando is the most fun I've had with Star Wars since I was a kid. When it hits, I'm just grinning ear-to-ear.

4) She-Ra -- I can't believe this was in 2020. Great ending to a great show. Another one that would be a contender for #1.

3) Bojack Horseman -- I can't believe this isn't #1. I've loved all of Bojack's journey and the ending was perfect. You are either on the train or you aren't but if you are it is great.

2) Better Call Saul -- A different beast from Breaking Bad. I liked Breaking Bad better but BCS is fantastic. As another poster said, it somehow manages to get better and find new highs. I have no idea why we deserve a show this good.

1) The Good Place -- A great conclusion to a great show. I spent a lot of time talking with my spouse about Buddhism and the nature of life, reality, etc. It's one of those rare shows that creates a space to talk about really big things.

Some (dis)honorable mentions as well, I'll probably add to this list as time goes on just for fun. Also, it has been a long hell year so I've forgotten some things that aired in 2020 because it feels like they aired a million years ago.

Dispatches from Elsewhere: Started out really strong then went off the rails in a bad way. I really want to sit and watch it with what's-his-face, the Muppet fanfiction guy, and just point at the screen and go, "See? This is why nobody likes you."

Perry Mason: Really wanted to like this one. Part of it was as a parent I bounced off the first episode *hard*. I love Matthew Rhys so if it gets renewed, I wish for better things.

Utopia: While it lacked the style and visual punch of the UK version, I had high hopes for future seasons (alas). The UK version drops like a stone after the first series because the writers were basically in a "dog that caught the car" situation. The US version would have hopefully been able to avoid that and I also liked having the baddies be a cult rather than a multinational conspiracy. It shifts the stakes in a way that makes sense even if the first season was beholden to the UK Series 1 in a way that was detrimental. We'll never know, wrong place, wrong time.

Pale Horse: Fun watching Rufus Sewell do his thing. While I was watching it, I really just wanted to watch Dark City (so I did). It's too bad, he was the breakout from Man in the High Castle so I was hoping he'd have something to springboard to that's better and bigger.

His Dark Materials: It's like The Incredible Hulk where some things that work well in one format absolutely fail to translate and His Dark Materials just always fails to land when it is adapted. Part of it is that the story necessitates child actors carrying the show which is always borderline impossible. Too bad.

Altered Carbon: The first season departed from the books in ways that made it worse, with the exception of Poe who worked really well. But it was still enjoyable. The second season was just a mess.

Plot Against America: Very timely, loved it. Too bad about the ending, though the source material shares that poor ending. There are some shows where even if they don't stick the landing they still work but other times if you don't stick the landing you just feel like a sucker for having watched the thing. This is the latter.

Upload: Fun Sci-Fi, mediations on wealth and what it means to be alive, theoretically it's the whole package. I feel like the people making the show think they are making something much deeper than they are. Imagine Elon Musk making "The Good Place".

Lovecraft Country: Another series bogged down by its source material. I think either a full anthology show or a more modern narrative show would have been amazing. The hybrid approach was the worst of both worlds. Still a really good show, it'd be 11 on my list.

Rick & Morty: As long as you don't talk about it online, this show is great. I'm violating that cardinal rule here so that's all I'll say.

Schitt's Creek: A satisfying solution to a show that has gone on for juuuust a little too long. I'm glad it was discovered on streaming and got to have a well-deserved victory lap.

Dark: Fun German time-traveling Sci-Fi. Well, "fun" is probably the wrong word. Let's go with "engaging".

The Expanse: Rewatching the show to get caught up so I've only seen the first two episodes of the new season. I expect great things.

VinylonUnderground fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but any Kdrama that you'd recommend for a 3 year old? We've been doing a lot of Pororo/Tayo/Tittipo/Pinkfong/etc. My access to that world (beyond my daughter) is hardcore Korean Protestants, so I'm loathe so seek out their advice.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

esperterra posted:

Hmm, unfortunately I'm not super well versed in Korean programming for kids. I think Pororo may be available on Netflix tho?

We do youtube for the korean language kid programs. I was thinking of kid friendly dramas (if any?) in korean.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Thanks everybody for Harley. It is a show that did and would have completely slipped under my radar. I'm loving it!

Less gay than I was expecting but despite my normal reservations I'm really enjoying Ivy X Kiteman.