Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Honorable Mentions:

Upload - I feel like I watched this 2 years ago, but I do remember enjoying it.
The Mandalorian - Another solid season of what will be the most overrated show on this final poll.
High Maintenance - They could do 52 episodes a year and I would be ok with it.
Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet - Shocked how good this turned out.
Tiger King - The timing of this (March 2020 was the start of this insanity for most of us) stranger than fiction documentary made it a welcomed distraction and social media darling.
Umbrella Academy - Another great season. It came so close to my top 10.

Other Awards:

I Finally Watched It - That award goes to Peak Blinders since I finally watched all available seasons. While I was surprised by the tone of the show (it does everything that SoA wanted to do but a 100 times better) I really loved it. I predict this award will go to Better Call Saul in 2021.

Guilty Pleasure of 2020 - I became addicted to Yellowstone in 2020 despite the flaws and issues that normally drive me crazy. I can't wait until next season.

Best Episode of TV in 2020 - We Are Who We Are, Episode 4: Right Here, Right Now #4. It is an episode that could actually work as standalone episode (it is the crazy last day of an American solider and his young friends in Italy before he deploys to Afghanistan). It reminded me some of the movie Kids in the way you feel like you are spectator along for the ride. Also this episode has the best use of music in 2020 (especially CCCP Fedeli Alla Linea's Emilia Parnoica)

My Top 10

10: Queen's Gambit - I feel like the more I get away from this series, the less I will value it. While watching it I was like this is a top 5 show of the year, but now a few months later it barely makes my top 10. Great acting and I loved they way they made chess exciting.

9: The Great - Nicholas Hoult is just amazing. What a fun show.

8: The Good Lord Bird - The biggest fault I had with this show was it never reach the level of it's first episode again. Still Ethan Hawke reached to levels of Nicholas Cage overacting (in a good way) that I didn't know he was capable of.

7: The Last Dance - I grew up an UNC fan (I was born in NC) and the first basketball game I remember watching as a kid was UNC winning the National Championship with Jordan. This series celebrates him (one can argue too kindly at times) and is a nice time capsule into what I consider the greatest decade of basketball.

6: Ted Lasso - The true surprise hit of 2020. The show expertly circumvented character archetypes and tropes in ways that made the show seem fresh and original.

(the top 5 was really hard and could completely switch around depending on my mood)

5: What We Do In The Shadows: - Episode 6 of season 2 was very close to my episode of the year. Yes the whole season was great, but the Jackie Daytona detour was a highlight of 2020.

4: The Boys: - I thought season 1 was great, but season 2 was even better. I hope season 3 doesn't get knocked into 2022.

3:The Crown - Quality wise alone, this is currently the best series on TV.

2: The Expanse - So far season 5 has been The Expanse at it's best. I feel like if season 5 aired completely in 2020 this would be my show of the year.

1: We Are Who We Are - Despite wasting Chloe Sevigny in this, despite being a show that is very hard to recommend to anyone, despite having a main protagonist that can be very annoying at times, despite it is about a generation I completely do not understand (at my age I shouldn't), this is the best thing I watched in 2020. The show haunts me in the same way the loss of my own youth haunts me. I can't explain it, but long after I forget about this season of The Crown I will remember certain things from this series. Also best soundtrack of 2020.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Seeing some of the new posts made me realize I forgot Avenue 5, Ozark, and How To With John Wilson on my list. To be honest there is a good chance 2 of these would have made my top 10, if not all 3. Still I am going to leave my list as is since it is what it is. I just want to mention despite forgetting about them on the original post, I loved all 3 of them.

Looten Plunder posted:

9. Yellowstone
Apparantly this rates gang busters on a network no one knows exist. I'm glad it does because it's awesome.

I put this as my guilty pleasure of 2020 (I watched all 3 seasons last year). It is a show that I find people who thought SoA was the greatest show on TV think this is currently the best show on TV (looking at you stepdad). Also I expected more out a Taylor Sheridan ran show. Still I really enjoy watching it after I learn to taper my expectations, but I am unsure if I will enjoy watching this show weekly once season 4 starts. Part of me wants to wait until season 4 completely airs to binge it, but that season 3 cliffhanger...

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 11, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My first bonus from this thread has been discovering Dispatches From Elsewhere. 3 episodes in and so far it looks like this should have been on my 10 list

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thank you Looten Plunder. I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am that The Mandalorian got so high on the list. Plus I thought Ted Lasso would be slightly higher, and The Crown has dropped in viewers it seems despite another great season (switch it with The Mandalorian and I would agree with this list a lot more). That said the people have spoken, so be it. I did end up with 4 shows in the final top 10, while my number 1 (We Are Who We Are) finished at 31. I think that is my second worst showing for my number 1 pick outside of the year I picked Terrace House as top show.