Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobbes posted:

2- Hilda:
Hilda is about as warm a blanket of a show you could ever hope to find to cuddle up to. Pretty amazing discipline in its use of color palette too that I wish more animated shows would take a lesson from.

This show came out in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was a new season this year?

What!!! They said it was coming in 2021!

E: Excuse me I'll be back in 13 episodes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honorable Mentions

Cobra Kai
This show is great, it manages to balance a lot of different tones and take a pretty different storytelling approach than the karate kid films without ever feeling like it's not doing them justice or mining the brand for name recognition. Too bad it just barely missed the deadline!

Columbo
Columbo is one of the best shows ever made. If you've not watched Columbo, you should watch Columbo.

Lurdiak's Top Ten of 2020

10- Moonbase 8

I'll be honest, this show is not exactly my speed, but I can't deny that it's doing exactly what it wants to do. This one really flew under the radar, as so many shows do in this streaming service world of ours, but it's a decent premise with some solid performances. The situational comedy of having to deal with definitely earthbound problems while training for being on the moon is a lot stronger to me than the weird improv interpersonal humor, but I've never been much of an improv guy.

9 - The Blacklist

Another year, another time The Blacklist has made my top 10 due to sheer lack of watching more than 10 shows. The stupidity that I enjoy about the show has yet to waver, although even taking the show in stride, I am getting really tired of new reveals about Reddington's checkered past. The ps2 graphics episode was even funnier than it looked in screenshots.

8 - Castlevania

This show is almost certainly as canceled as its lead writer, but I did enjoy this last season, even if it suffered from some tone issues. Isaac is the best character in this show by a long shot, and I definitely didn't think he'd be when he was introduced. As usual, it was a very satisfying mix of demonic violence and sarcasm, with some interesting theological conversations to boot. I'll miss it, but I sure won't miss Warren Ellis.

7 - Lucifer

This show never aims higher than it can hit, and ever since they moved to Netflix, they've been having even more fun with the goofiness of the premise. I particularly enjoyed the episode where they investigated a murder that took place on the set of a dumb 90s Fox version of the program. I hope this show keeps going forever, as Tom Ellis just has way too much fun in the role.

6 - What We do in the Shadows

This stupid, horny, dumbed down version of the movie continues to greatly entertain me, with several laugh out loud moments per season. I'm completely disinterested in the central plot of this season, but to be fair most of the cast is too. I feel like they might've leaned a bit too hard on Collin Robinson this season, probably since he's such a fan favorite, but eh, anything's better than Guillermo scenes.

5 - The Good Place

This show continued to be heartfelt, hilarious and generally endearing, but I really felt the actual story ran out of steam near the end. It seemed like they were just coming up with problems that the characters needed to overcome even though the plot was done. I also thought the idea of adding permadeath to Heaven as some kind of philosophical answer to the concept that unchallenged happiness makes life meaningless was a very strange one. Coulda used a couple rewrites there. Still pretty good, though.

4 - Brooklyn 99

This show's definitely treading water now, but it's still very funny so I don't care. I don't know if I want it to be renewed or not, since I've had my fill of cop shows by now, no matter how much lip service they pay to pointing out systemic problems with law enforcement. I just hope Andre Braugher keeps being on my tv for years to come.

3 - Hilda

The much anticipated return of one of my favorite shows from 2018. While this show is still gorgeous, charming, cute, and funny, I feel like season 2 spent a lot of time retreading old ground. Season 1 did an artful job introducing new characters, new aspects of the world's mythology, progressing the metaplot and having the character relationships evolve while still having each episode be its own self contained adventure. This season is definitely more of the latter and less of the former, with several episodes just involving revisiting characters and creatures from season 1, and even though both Frieda and David technically each get an episode that focuses on them, it doesn't really grow them much as characters and they feel a lot more like backgorund extras this season, which is a shame after how well characterized they were in season 1. Hilda and her mom's relationship take center stage again, but it feels like Hilda's just relearning lessons from season 1 about how she should trust her mom to have her back. Overall still a very entertaining ride and I hope to see more of this show, just a slight step down from an 11/10 first season.

2 - Better Call Saul

As this show wraps up its 5th season, the difference in pacing between it and Breaking Bad become rather apparent. The cartel storyline and Jimmy's life finally intertwine in a major way, and the character continues his ever-entertaining descent into amorality. Better Call Saul embodies the term dramedy, as it manages to balance extremely tense thriller scenes, compelling character drama and gut-busting moments of hilarity like no other show ever has. I can't wait to see what's next for this brilliant show.

1 - Bojack Horseman

I'm going to assume the reason this isn't on anyone else's top 10 list is that everyone forgot that the final season came out in 2020 and not late 2019. I have never in my life seen a show stick the landing this well. The last 8 episodes of season 6 were downright harrowing, showing us who Bojack could be if he moved on from his damage, only for his old sins and his hubris to tear it all down in the most gut wrenching way possible. Redemption, justice, misogyny, toxic friendships, life and death, racism, sexual abuse... there wasn't a single topic this funny talking horse show was afraid to tackle, and Bojack's journey is one of the best written character examinations I've seen outside of novels. The View From Halfway Down manages to surpass Time's Arrow and Free Churro as the standout episode of the series, and the finale was a perfect encapsulation of what was always at the heart of this show. I don't think anything will ever surpass Bojack Horseman as my favorite tv show, and while I'd love to see more of these characters, I'm glad they got to go out on such a high note.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 18, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thank you for organizing this, it's always a lot of fun. I'm intrigued to try some of these shows I've never heard of, although I do wish Bojack had been able to crack the top 10 one last time on its way out.

More like Shitlock