Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It’s that time of year again, lets see out the dumpster fire of a year by celebrating the less of a dumpster fire year of TV. I'm back for my sophomore year at the helm. I learned a lot from last year so I'll be looking forward to less spreadsheet wrangling this time around. This year has the potential for some really interesting results with previous juggernaut shows not making an appearance in 2020. This has led to the rise of even more streaming services. It will be interesting to see how the results are affected by number of people that were sitting binging TV they otherwise wouldn't have got around to watching. Anyway, lets do it!

:siren::siren::siren:Deadline is 10PM US EST Tuesday 19th of Jan:siren::siren::siren:

Results will be revealed at :siren::siren::siren:10PM US EST Thursday 21st of Jan:siren::siren::siren:

UPDATE: Results have been revealed and begin here

:siren:VOTING RULES:siren:
1. Every show you pick must have had a first time airing in its country of origin in full or in part during 2020. This could be a network show, a cable show, an online show, a TV movie (not movies from streaming services), it could even be a Youtube thing if you're down with what the kids are calling 'it'.
2. The joy of this thread is in getting to shout about your favourites and hear about the hidden gems that you missed and we can only do that if you talk about why you've chosen the shows you have. You can write a sentence, you can write an essay, whatever you like as long as you write something. Any lists posted without reasons for their picks will not be counted in the final vote.
3. If you want to list more than ten shows go for it but I'll only count your top ten. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.
4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of TV, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which genre show in its third season poo poo the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere.
5. If you want to talk about spoilers in your post then by all means go for it but put a spoiler warning at the start of your list.
6. If you want to go back and edit your list after the fact then go for it, just shoot me a PM or post in the thread to let me know you have or I might not count it. Please ensure you edit your original post, don’t create a new list. I will periodically link user posts in the second comment of this thread.
7. Deadline for submissions is 11th January 00:01AM PST . I'll then do a live countdown of the final results some time after that at a time that suits the thread (that I'm able to do from the other side of the world.)

There you have it, it's as simple as that!

Archives

TVIV Poll 2012: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523734
TVIV Poll 2013: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3591552
TVIV Poll 2014: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686396
TVIV Poll 2015: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754622
TVIV Poll 2016: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800289
TVIV Poll 2017: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812
TVIV Poll 2018: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876499
TVIV Poll 2019: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825

Top 15 TVIV Shows of 2019

Just to remind you guys, here's the top 15 shows that aired last year to also air this year: I remind you , this isn't a
15. Killing Eve
14. The Magicians
13. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
12. Bojack Horseman
11. The Crown
10. Joe Pera Talks With You
9. Ducktales
8. Doom Patrol
7. Dark
6. Agents of SHIELD
5. The Boys
4. The Expanse
3. What We Do in the Shadows
2. The Good Place*
1. The Mandalorian

*There was only 3 or 4 episodes but it's still eligble.

For Your Consideration
Some new shows that premiered this year that might be competing for your votes:
Avenue 5
Barbarians
Blood Of Zeus
Briarpatch
Deutschland 89
Devs
Dispatches From Elsewhere
Gangs of London
Hunters
I Am Not OK With This
Love Life
Lovecraft Country
Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet
Perry Mason
Raised By Wolves
Ratched
Run
Snowpiercer
Space Force
Tales From The Loop
Ted Lasso
The Flight Attendant
The Good Lord Bird
The Great
The Plot Against America
The Queen's Gambit
The Third Day
The Young Pope
Tiger King
We Are Who We Are
ZeroZeroZero

That’s everything. Happy voting!

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's lists

bagrada
Oasx
ShakeZula
Jerusalem
Tiggum
VinylonUnderground
esperterra
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
DarklyDreaming
TelevisedInsanity
Escobarbarian
cant cook creole bream
nate fisher
Senerio
Open Source Idiom
cryptoclastic
Andrew_1985
fancy stats
Shneak
oh jay
Chairman Capone
Arist
Looten Plunder
Rick
BetterLekNextTime
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Something Else
bou
u brexit ukip it
Hobbes
Bulky Bartokomous
CeeJee
achillesforever6
]Tenzarin
X-O
Inspector 34
bowmore
graventy
Croatoan
Lurdiak
Eugene V. Dubstep
Yer Burnt
MyBuddyLee
Slamhound

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 23, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can I vote for all three seasons of Kipo separately? I know 2020 time dilation and all, but it's really weird that all of this happened this year.

You don't vote for seasons, you vote for the show. See also: Survivor, Big Brother etc.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Just a small note that WandaVision still hasn’t aired yet :)

Oh, thought it was airing in December and would be eligble, my bad.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's going to be really hard to remember everything I watched, because this year has been ten years long...

It's crazy looking back on pre-pandemic stuff and being like "that was this year????"

Even stuff like The Last Dance which was prime pandemic content feels like forever ago.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Surprisingly, I watched less TV this year than I normally would. I do a lot of my viewing on my commute and that didn't really happen this year. I definitly didn't get to watch every thing I wanted to, but still watched enough to put together a decent list.

Here is 44 to 25.

44. Killing Eve
43. Vice
42. Hard Knocks
41. Saturday Night Live
40. Formula 1: Drive To Survive
39. Run
38. High Score
37. Lego Masters: Australia
36. Impractical Jokers
35. Survivor
34. High Maintenance
33. Briarpatch
32. Last Week Tonight
31. AP Bio
30. The Queen's Gambit
29. We Are The Champions
28. The Outsider
27. Better Things
26. Miracle Workers

25 to 11

25. Shameless
Last season was a real return to form despite no Emmy Rossum. The first two episodes of the new season have been absolute rippers. They've done an amazing job of weaving COVID, it's economic impacts, weed in Chicago, Evil Amazon and BLM into the storyline.

24. The Good Life
The show is an all-timer but if you haven't watched it by this point, I'm not going to bother wasting real estate higher on my list. I gave it the love last year so it goes here this year.

23. I Am Not OK With This
Sad to hear this didn't get a second season. Really good performances from the two leads and would have loved to see what happened in Season 2.

22. Sex Education
Wow, the first season of this show was good. This second season was fantastic. What a fun show. Where is this magical place in England where it never rains?

21. Vikings
It's not the show it was but I still enjoy it greatly. Looking forward to the last handful of episodes. And look forward to checking out Kingdom of Heaven once I'm done with it.

20. Hunters
See below: This show was really fun. A great cast of misfits and a pretty cool premise.

19. Lovecraft Country
Certainly had it's floors but the highs of this show were pretty drat high. Some really powerful episodes, some clever riffs on horror tropes and for the most part, a really fun ride.

18. The Boys
The introduction of Stormfront was great. Homelander might be the best villain on TV.

17. Rick & Morty
God forbid I engage with this show on the internet, but in a vacuum, this show is still pretty magical.

16. Ozark
The first season of this show was mediocre prestige-drama at best but I swear the show is getting better each and every season. It's always fun when a new season of this drops.

15. How To With John Wilson
This show is pretty brilliant. Has Nathan Fielders magic touch all over it. I would love to read/watch some stuff to figure out how the hell he managed to get all this footage. If you like Nathan For You or Joe Pera Talks With You then check this out.

14. After Life
I know Ricky Gervais is hated on these forums, but I'm sorry, he keeps making amazing poo poo and this is no exception. Really sweet, really heartfelt, really funny and executed on the sophomore season really well

13. The Eric Andre Show
The first season that I got to watch live. Eric Andre is fascinating individual and the show is amazing to view from an intellectual perspective. It's also hilarious.

12. The Flight Attendant
A pleasant surpise. Took the mantle as "awesome fun and funny female led thriller show" from the now awful Killing Eve. Kaley Cuoco kills it.

11. The Crown
The first season I got to watch in real time (I caught up this year). If I told my 16 year old self this show was awesome my younger self would hang so much poo poo on me, but now that I'm old and the production is so amazing, I'd scoff at my younger self and keep on watching

And now my Top 10

10. Bluey
You need to watch this show if you're a parent. I laugh on multiple occasions every episode (and cry on some too). Quite the feat considering episodes are only 7 minutes long.

9. Yellowstone
Apparantly this rates gang busters on a network no one knows exist. I'm glad it does because it's awesome.

8. Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet
This show could have gone wrong in so many ways considering the premise (a workplace comedy set at a video game studio) but I loved every minute of it. Charlotte Nicdao is a revelation. Easily the best COVID/Zoom episode of any show to air this year.

7. Fargo
As with Avenue 5, I delayed watching this a couple of weeks due to the online discourse but I had a ton of fun with it. If you like Hawley, and you like Fargo, you'll like this. I enjoyed it a lot more than last season.

6. Black Monday
This show somehow keeps getting better. Cheadle is a pleasure to watch in everything he does and one of the few shows that made me laugh out loud this year (that doesn't mean other shows aren't funny, I just tend to no laugh out loud much)

5. Avenue 5
I was a few weeks late to watching this show due to the lukewarm reception on this forum. But my god, I loved this. So funny, so dark.

4. ZeroZeroZero
This show is gorgeous, the action scenes are tense as hell and the story is completely my poo poo (drugs, cartels, mafioso). Done by the people behind Gomorrah ie. "Italian Sopranos"

3. The Last Dance
Can't believe this footage went unaired for so long. Fascinating watch and does a great job of explaining the psyche of pro athletes.

2. The Good Lord Bird
This was a joy to watch, which was a pleasant surprise considering the subject matter. The performances of Hawke and Caleb Johnson were amazing.

1. Better Call Saul
I don't know how this show keeps getting better but it does. The whole cast deserves all the awards. By far the best show on TV, especially in a year with a dearth of prestige TV.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to extend the deadline for this for at least another 6 days to try and drum up some more submission.

:siren:New Deadline has been set as Midnight Jan 17th:siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
All the lists have been recorded up until this post of the OP.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217#post510913852

If your name is listed there and you want to make any changes to your Top 10, please shoot me a PM or post in the thread to let me know you've made an edit, otherwise I might miss the change.

If you've posted a list and your name isn't linked there, let me know as it means I've missed you.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

u brexit ukip it posted:

Haven't watched all that much TV so the below is pretty much all I've seen:

Honourable mentions

Cobra Kai - Great show about warring karate dojos and the teenagers navigating said war and life in general. Unfortunately not technically a 2020 show.
The Expanse - Love it but haven't seen the new season yet.

Your votes won't be counted unless you can fill out the last two spots.

You have a few days to binge The Expanse and update your list and SURELY there is something else you watch? Do you like the MNF coverage? Does The Simpsons happen to be on TV when you eat dinner each week?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

4) Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure

Hobbes posted:

8- Tangled
Lots of fun, catchy songs, and manages to frolic through some rather dark themes at points.

Is this the same show?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Oh yeah, and they had a steady stream of appearances from another Oahu show, LOST. It was a good run.

This has always fascinated me. Did they just get them on the show for the LOLs or does the entire LOST cast now just live in Hawaii?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

I might update this later before the final date because I can't remember what came out this year at all. Plus you know, the rona.

Tenzarin posted:

Yea throw this one on my list also. I dunno if I'm gonna get to 10 though so just use math for me when you get to the final count. I also didn't really want to have youtube on my list this year.

That's fine, but

Looten Plunder posted:

VOTING RULES
3. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.

Tenzarin posted:

2. Solar Opposites: This was a pretty good show. I enjoy the art style even though this does not involve Dan Harmon but I guess I shouldn't marry him to the artists that make rick and morty.
You know the main creative force is Justin Roiland and he did both shows yeah?

Tenzarin posted:

but I'm sure this is something you can watch a youtube video essay on or there will be in the future so I guess this is me just saying "I told you so" before it happens
Oh trust me, there is plenty.

Tenzarin posted:

:siren:I also want to get special notice to the mods, helpers, IKs of the tv forum to reach out to everyone and in previous years, to let them know that they can join in for the yearly tv poll.:siren: I guess you can make this my number one and then shift the numbers down from that. The rules don't say anything about that. Yea, that's right, you just got time magazined.

Cute, but

Looten Plunder posted:

VOTING RULES
1. Every show you pick

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey all. The live results will be revealed at 10:00PM US EST Thursday 21st of Jan.

Going to extend the deadline one more time to 10PM US EST Tuesday 19th of Jan

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 18, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

7.Succession — pretty good stuff. kind of a King Lear with private helicopters and no Cordelia.

This didn't air in 2020. I'll allow a final edit if you want to fix ASAP.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Gather round goons and goonettes. It's finally time to reveal the results of the 9th Annual TVIV awards! I, Looten Plunder will be your host today. It's my second time doing this so I'm hoping things will be a bit smoother, but please forgive me, both, for the the delay in this countdown and any bumps along the way.

So....2020 huh?! It's probably an understatement, but that was a lovely year. There was a silver lining though. With everyone stuck at home, there was a lot more eyeballs on the small screen this year. People were starved for content, it's just a shame that not a lot of networks weren't able to make the shows to serve those eyeballs. With that said, there was a lot of good TV this year, and it will be interesting to see how much of a shake up there is as a result of this new climate. Let's all come together to celebrate relive the year of TV in 2020.

As always, there are some big questions that need to be answered. Including, but not limited to:

• Will the pandemic translate to more people voting in the poll?
  • With so many AAA shows not being released in 2020, what surprises do we have in store?
  • We had a few of our favourites finish up in 2019. Which shows will rise up to usurp them?
  • Is Netflix's streaming crown under threat with another year under the belt for the likes of Disney+, Apple TV+, Hulu and Amazon?
  • How will the further dilution and decentralisation of the TV landscape affect the popularity of shows?
  • How will Goon favourites Agents of SHIELD and The Good Place fare in their final seasons? Do they have one last gasp?
  • With Goon's being largely giant Man(and Lady)-Children, what cartoon/animated suprises are we in for this year?
  • Is there a new Goon favourite when it comes to a Nathan For You, Joe Pera, High Maintenance, Eric Andre Show, MST3K style quirky comedy?
  • How will the list be affected by the changing superhero landscape and the Goon love for all things comic book.

Stay tuned for answers to these questions and more! Let's get this underway! Without further ado, let's kick this off with the list of shows that didn't make our official countdown.

149=. (1 Point)
Animaniacs (Hulu)
Bluey (ABC (Australia)
Briarpatch (USA)
Dark Side of the Ring (VICE)
Kingdom (Audience)
Motherland Fort Salem (Freeform)
Picard (CBS All Access)
Ramy (Hulu)
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)
Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

131=. (2 Points)
Aunty Donna's Big ol' House of Fun (Netflix)
Cheer (Netflix)
Dead To Me (Netflix)
Ducktales (DisneyXD)
Future Man (Hulu)
House Hunters (HGTV)
It's Lit (Web)
Nature (PBS)
New Journey to the West (TvN)
Quinton Reviews (Web)
Record of Youth (Netflix)
The Blacklist (NBC)
The Circle (Netflix)
The Outpost (CW)
Tiger King (Netflix)
Truth Seekers (Amazon)
Wynonna Earp (Syfy)
Yellowstone (Paramount)

117=. (3 Points)
Adult Swim (Web)
Attack on Titan (Adult Swim)
Babylon Berlin (Sky 1 Germany)
Castlevania (Netflix)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Cursed (Netflix)
Dave (FX)
Emotional Camping (JTBC)
Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (Netflix)
Mad As Hell (ABC (Australia))
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom (Tokyo MX)
Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet (Apple TV+)
Ozark (Netflix)
Sound-field (Web)

105=. (4 Points)
A Toy Store Near You (Web)
Dimension 20 (Web)
Great Pretender (Fuji TV)
I Live Alone (MBC)
Kitchen Nightmares (Web)
Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu)
Modern Family (ABC)
Neebs Gaming (Web)
Picco Picture Contest (Adult Swim)
P-Valley (Starz)
Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All Access)
Vikings (History)

93=. (5 Points)
Archer (FX)
Good Girl: Who Robbed the Station (Mnet)
I Am Not OK With This (Netflix)
Marvel's 616 (Disney+)
Rent-A-Girlfriend (Crunchyroll)
Survivor (CBS)
The Amazing Race (CBS)
The Flight Attendant (HBO Max)
The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix)
Tosh.0 (Comedy Central)
Vagrant Queen (Syfy)
All The Feels (Quibi)

86=. (6 Points)
Agua Donkeys (Quibi)
Canada's Drag Race (Crave)
Hawaii Five-O (CBS)
Hyena (SBS TV)
Monstrum (Web)
Saved By The Bell (Peacock)
The Plot Against America (HBO)

78=. (7 Points)
Corporate (Comedy Central)
Deutschland '83 (Sundance)
Die Hart (Quibi)
Eons (PBS)
Hangout With Yoo (MBC)
Last Week Tonight (HBO)
Strike Back (Cinemax)
Warrior (Cinemax)

68=. (8 Points)
50 States of Fright (Quibi)
AP Bio (NBC)
Gogglebox (Channel 4)
Inside the NBA (TNT)
Private Lives (Netflix)
RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo TV)
Solar Opposites (Hulu)
The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
The Vow (HBO)
The Wilds (Amazon)

53=. (9 Points)
AEW Dynamite (TNT)
Carmen Sandiego (Netflix)
Chrissy's Court (Quibi)
Evil (CBS)
Gavin Webber (Web)
Hello Dracula (JTBC)
I May Destroy You (BBC One)
Industry (BBC Two)
Killing Eve (BBC America)
Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (Netflix)
Stargirl (DC Universe)
Supermarket Sweep (ABC)
The Eric Andre Show (BBC Two)
The New Pope (Sky Atlantic)
Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (NBC)

47=. (10 Points)
Fishcenter Live (Adult Swim)
Gayme Show (Quibi)
Insecure (HBO)
Moonbase 8 (Showtime)
Star Trek Discovery (CBS All Access)
Westworld (HBO)

44=. (11 Points)
American Dad (FOX)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)
Search Party (TBS)

43. (12 Points)
Lucifer (FOX)

41=. (13 Points)
Black Monday (Showtime)
Rick and Morty (Adult Swim)

39=. (14 Points)
The Great (Hulu)
The Magicians (Syfy)

37=. (15 Points)
Extracurricular (Netflix)
Snowpiercer (TNT)

35=. (16 Points)
Fargo (FX)
ZeroZeroZero (Sky Atlantic)

31=. (17 Points)
Hilda (Netflix)
Mrs. America (FX)
Perry Mason (HBO)
Primal (Adult Swim)

Our first "award" goes to Ducktales which dropped a massive 104 spots to take the award of:
:toot:Biggest Faller:toot:

I'll be back at 10PM Eastern Time to reveal the rest of the list. In case my timezone calculations are wrong, this is in approximately just under 4 hours from this post. (I still need to organise show quotes and videos so I better get a move on!)

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I know the latest season of Fargo wasn't to everybody's cup of tea but man seeing it at 35th place is depressing given how beloved the first couple of seasons were.

I'll have an update on this at the end of the poll. Keep the faith.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright folks, lets do this! It's time for our 30-1 countdown.

Videos will have to wait unfortunately. I'll update all the artwork to be clickable later tonight.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

The show haunts me in the same way the loss of my own youth haunts me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Heady and emotionally charged, capturing the experience of being a queer teen in a way that's both uncomfortable and probably very honest. Great performances, beautifully shot.

30. We Are Who We Are (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
18 Points, 2 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

fancy stats posted:

Its beautifully shot (man, did it made me miss traveling), has a solid soundtrack and the lead actors have just incredible chemistry.

Shneak posted:

I love me a romance story on a collision course with a heartbreaking ending and I just couldn’t stop thinking about it afterwards.

Escobarbarian posted:

The two central performances are extremely brave and raw and nuanced, and the writing is simply exceptional, immersive and heartbreaking in a variety of ways.

29. Normal People (Hulu)
NEW ENTRY
20 Points, 3 nominations

:toot:Best On Hulu:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Next up. We have a 3 way tie for 26th place.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I do enjoy how much fun the main character has at enjoying that weird world.

Senerio posted:

Sometimes a perfect romance is little miss perfect and an ordinary otter... with a dark side.

26. The Owl House (Disney+)
NEW ENTRY
21 Points, 4 Nominations

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's compelling, weird, and occasionally quite beautiful.

VinylonUnderground posted:

It decides to just go completely off the rails and is better for it. Just wild weird poo poo.

Jerusalem posted:

Every episode took the show into unexpected and surprising directions, but very welcome ones.

26. Raised by Wolves (HBO Max)
NEW ENTRY
21 Points, 6 Nominations

cryptoclastic posted:

I think I need to go back and watch the whole thing from the beginning. More people need to watch this.

bowmore posted:

I loved that they kept the complexity but weren't scared to be a bit out there.

26. Dark (Netflix)
DOWN 7
21 Points, 3 Nominations

:toot:Best Foreign Language Show:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Come for the cool basketball stuff, stay for a compelling case study on the psychology of greatness.

Looten Plunder posted:

Can't believe this footage went unaired for so long.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Such a well done documentary. I lived through this but there was so much I'd forgotten.

25. The Last Dance (Netflix)
NEW ENTRY
23 Points, 5 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

Turned out to be a sweet and funny show that also managed to tell a compelling story about the troubles of capitalism. One of the most pleasant surprises of 2020.

Chairman Capone posted:

Like the best Black Mirror episodes, this was just plausible enough to make it a believable dystopia, while also still being and funny and full of heart.

24. Upload (Amazon)
NEW ENTRY
25 Points, 5 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We have a two-way tie for 22nd place.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

graventy posted:

Easily one of the best "how would I handle this" shows.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

The closest we will get to any sort of Japanese Variety Game Show that doesn't involve punishments for the loser.

22. Taskmaster (Dave)
UP 49
26 Points, 5 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

ShakeZula posted:

I love these time-traveling goofballs

Andrew_1985 posted:

Honestly, the best DC series. The fact it doesn’t take itself seriously is a godsend.

oh jay posted:

Absolutely THE superhero show.

22. Legends of Tomorrow (CW)
UP 32
26 Points, 4 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

This was a great show from start to finish, which somehow all happened in the year 2020 what was last year.

I do love this peace-seeking aspect of the show.

Hobbes posted:

In an age when it feels like half of television is set in a grim and gritty post-apocalypse, Kipo spins the world after the collapse of humanity into something really magical.

21. Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts (Netflix)
NEW ENTRY
27 Points, 4 Nomintations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

we weren't queerbaited this time, and it was glorious.

Hobbes posted:

This show is unabashedly pastels and rainbows, and I’m loving here for it.

20. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Netflix)
UP 21
28 Points, 4 Nominations, #1 spot 2 times

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We have another two way tie.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

CeeJee posted:

I think this has been on my list every year and it's still as good as ever.

Croatoan posted:

This is getting a bit touchy for the royals because they see their flaws and really don't want people speculating about what really happens. I love making them uncomfortable.

18. The Crown (Netflix)
UP 15
30 Points, 7 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

:toot:Best Overseas Show:toot: (Canada doesn't count)

Avenue 5 perfectly captures the zeitgeist of 2020 and predicted how lovely it would all get...

Slamhound posted:

Weeks ahead of it's time. WEEKS!

X-O posted:

Big suprise for me as I hadn't even heard of it until it was out. Loved every second of it.

18. Avenue 5 (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
30 Points, 8 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
And another tie for 16th!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I guarantee you’ll cry happy tears when you aren’t laughing.

bowmore posted:

This show won my heart by season 5. I binged it all this year.

16. Schitt's Creek (CBC)
RE-ENTRY
33 Points, 7 Nominations

graventy posted:

a captivating mystery.

bagrada posted:

I liked the actors, the visuals and the sound of the show. I'm a big fan of Alex Garland and loved every movie he's been involved in.

16. Devs (FX)
NEW ENTRY
33 Points, 8 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

the sharpest satire on TV.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Sometimes you want a show that... speaks truth to power... but sometimes that power... is not really what you expected... and sometimes that power is as simple as.... a light switch.

15. How To With John Wilson (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
35 Points, 5 Nominations, #1 spot 2 times

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Bojack's journey is one of the best written character examinations I've seen outside of novels.

fancy stats posted:

The ending was kind of heartbreaking but hopeful, which feels right for the series.

Tiggum posted:

Now this one absolutely landed the finale.

14. Bojack Horseman (Netflix)
UP 20
37 Points, 5 Nominations, #1 spot 2 times

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Ethan Hawke reached to levels of Nicholas Cage overacting (in a good way) that I didn't know he was capable of.

Slamhound posted:

Onion was a really strong lead, and the rest of the cast is great.

13. The Good Lord Bird (Showtime)
NEW ENTRY
43 Points, 6 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bou posted:

The fact, that this is still very captivating is a testament to the shows qualities.

Firing on all cylinders! An amazing show and the best of science fiction!

CeeJee posted:

Amazon bucks being thrown at the screen made it look superb and the journeys of the crew on their separate paths were way more compelling then I would have thought.

12. The Expanse (Syfy)
DOWN 1
46 Points, 6 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Man I somehow completely missed that The Good Lord Bird even existed until like a week ago and it looks goddamn incredible.

One of the best things about the thread. Enjoy!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

The final season was basically a loving long-form tour through the show's history, and the finale was note-perfect.

Inspector 34 posted:

Wow. Given the material and leeway they were given the knocked this out of the park.

achillesforever6 posted:

The cast is a complete joy and hopefully they'll be able to find more gigs (or actually show up on Disney+ Marvel shows)

11. Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
UP 6
48 Points, 7 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

:toot:Best Ending Show:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Top 10 time everyone!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

graventy posted:

Just a great funny cartoon that's not about Batman except maybe once when it was about Batman. Harley's had a good year.

Tiggum posted:

Who could ever have predicted that DC Universe or Kaley Cuoco would ever make good shows? Two each in the same year, even!

Jerusalem posted:

It became appointment television, a rare event as myself and friends would make a point of settling in to watch it together

10. Harley Quinn (DC Universe)
UP 99
49 Points, 8 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

:toot:Highest Climber:toot:
:toot:Best Animation:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

extremely ambitious, with a fun wry tone and an utterly fantastic central cast

Inspector 34 posted:

this gave me bigtime Lodge 49 vibes so it got me hooked right from the get go. But it became it's own thing and was great at it.

Arist posted:

This show never lets you or its characters off with the easy answer. It always pays respects to the hard parts, to the complications.

9. Dispatches From Elsewhere (AMC)
NEW ENTRY
56 Points, 7 Nominations, #1 spot 3 times

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 22, 2021