Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is AOC cancelled?
yes
no
goku
View Results

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
being a democrat means supporting the democratic party no matter what. good for her.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 07:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah sure Pelosi must have just given her that gem of wisdom. That's what it was.

To be clear AOC is still a piece of poo poo for bowing to whatever threat Pelosi made to her, but to say there was no pressure from Pelosi makes zero sense.

Why do you think she would need to be pressured? "Not wanting to offend her Jewish constituents" is the exact kind of bullshit reasoning you'd expect from her. It's just like her being friendly with the Bolivia coup supporters.

It's also corroborated by (IIRC) Tlaib and Omar, plus obviously AOC herself in Grim's book.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Why do you think she would need to be pressured? "Not wanting to offend her Jewish constituents" is the exact kind of bullshit reasoning you'd expect from her. It's just like her being friendly with the Bolivia coup supporters.

It's also corroborated by (IIRC) Tlaib and Omar, plus obviously AOC herself in Grim's book.

Maybe I'm not remembering how that vote went down correctly but was it not that AOC was voting against the Iron Dome poo poo (or saying she was on the House floor) and then after talking with Pelosi then AOC changed her vote while crying about it?

I just don't get why she'd be voting against and then after Pelosi talk voting for but somehow it was AOC not wanting to offend constituents etc? Why be against in the first place then?

But if actually Tlaib, Omar, and AOC in that book are all saying AOC was yes on Iron Dome "for constituents" all along and actually it was Pelosi making her cry about a dead cat or something then I guess I'm wrong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe I'm not remembering how that vote went down correctly but was it not that AOC was voting against the Iron Dome poo poo (or saying she was on the House floor) and then after talking with Pelosi then AOC changed her vote while crying about it?

I just don't get why she'd be voting against and then after Pelosi talk voting for but somehow it was AOC not wanting to offend constituents etc? Why be against in the first place then?

But if actually Tlaib, Omar, and AOC in that book are all saying AOC was yes on Iron Dome "for constituents" all along and actually it was Pelosi making her cry about a dead cat or something then I guess I'm wrong.

Oh, yeah. I actually assumed the same as you at first, but Ryan Grim talks about the whole vote situation in his Chapo interview (that is about the content of the book) and what he heard from AOC/Tlaib/Omar.

While it's definitely possible AOC/Tlaib/Omar aren't being honest about what happened (I certainly wouldn't bet more than like $10 on it), I think the explanation is pretty plausible and actually makes AOC look even worse IMO.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I think the explanation is pretty plausible and actually makes AOC look even worse IMO.
lol drat and yeah I'd agree, I think I might look into Grim's book when I'm in the mood to just hate read.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol drat and yeah I'd agree, I think I might look into Grim's book when I'm in the mood to just hate read.

The recent Chapo episode with him is probably the easiest way to have this specific situation summed up; I haven't actually read the book myself, but Grim talks about that vote (among other things) during the interview.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the specifics of any one vote are probably less important than the fact that The Squad has their own version of a Rotating Villain:

if it's a bad bill that was going to pass anyway, all of them can vote how they want, it's going to pass anyway

if it's a bad bill whose passage rests on the balance of The Squad, some of them can vote for it, and be really agonized about it, and the rest of them can vote against it, but it's never the same people in both groups

that way, whenever someone says AOC voted for this iteration of funding the Iron Dome, she's also on record as having voted against a different iteration of funding the Iron Dome, except in that other one, it was Ilhan Omar or Bowman or Pressley who voted for it, so both bills still passed regardless

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its almost like the "squad" is a controlled opposition within the controlled opposition :thunk:

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Before interning for Ted Kennedy, AOC went on a CIA funded trip to Niger weeks before they had a coup. the squad is an op

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1778789341638381674

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I know many brooklyn bartenders who have 260k to donate to democrats just in general