Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I know they've somewhat fallen out of favor, but old RTS games are some of my favorite(s). It's sad because after some point (I'm not entirely sure when/why) these really fell out of popularity. I think some of the reason is that they demand a pretty intense amount of attention and muscle memory, and I would venture a guess that Starcraft 2's hypercompetitive scene may have made the more leisurely RTS games fall out of favor. I don't know. I miss the old RTS games of yore!

Some notable older RTS games that are probably maybe worth your attention:

Warcraft, Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness, and Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos. I mean honestly what needs to be said here? These games launched the spectacularly popular World of Wacraft and helped make Blizzard what it is today. Strangely, though, if you've never played them before you might discover that 1 and 2 are really thematically different from what WoW ended up turning into. They are darker and much more difficult than modern day WoW would lead you to believe. I'd recommend checking them out if you haven't. They're wonderful and there's a reason that they ended up being turned into the most popular game of all time. They're also available on GOG easily so it's not difficult to experience them pretty much as they were when they were released.

WHERE TO GET IT:
Warcraft 1 and 2 on GOG
Warcraft 3 is in a worse position. It was re-released as Warcraft 3: Reforged but that, uh, has been a bit of a mess (to put it lightly). The game is, as far as I can tell, not easily purchasable in its original form. Your best bet is eBay or Amazon or something of that sort. Sorry.

Command and Conquer, Command and Conquer: Red Alert, Command and Conquer 2: Tiberan Sun, etc etc etc. There are a LOT of C&C games - some are excellent, and some are pretty dire. Thankfully, in my opinion, the first several are really good and a lot of fun typical RTS games. Plus, they all feature profoundly weird acting from some big-name stars so that's always a gem. C&C and C&C: Red Alert were recently spectacularly remastered (one of the best remasters I've ever seen), so that makes them a really easy and worthwhile pickup if you have any interest whatsoever. I also strongly suspect they will proceed to remaster #2 at some point, but that hasn't been announced yet.

WHERE TO GET IT:
C&C and C&C Red Alert Remastered on Steam
C&C The Ultimate Collection on EA Origin

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth 2: Soulblighter were games made by Bungie (yes, of Destiny and Halo) back when they were primarily Mac (and a little PC) developers. They're the reason I made this thread and I'm particularly unhappy that no similar followup games of any sort really exist. They're unusual RTS insofar as they have absolutely no base building mechanics or unit training - you get a few characters per map and just have to make it through the level with those guys. I particularly love these games for the great writing combined with the absolutely wonderful blood splatter mechanics. Get a few dwarven bomber guys in a line and you can make a complete mess of the enemy team and terrain. If you haven't played Myth (or haven't played it in a while) I'd definitely recommend checking it out. Apparently Myth 3 is alright (it was made by a different team) but I honestly can't speak to that at all.

WHERE TO GET IT:
It also has a modernized engine maintained by the community (which is / is not opensource, I can't quite tell) which works quite well and even enables multiplayer though I can't imagine that many people play it anymore. You can find it here:
Myth and Myth 2 on Project Magma

Homeworld, Homeworld 2 and the forthcoming Homeworld 3 were games made by Relic Software and are the only RTS games that I'm aware of which operate in an entirely 3D space. They're more typical RTS games (building units, collecting resources, etc) but the storyline in Homeworld 1 is universally recognized as being one of the best of the genre and the music is just spectacular.

Seriously, give this a listen and tell me this isn't some of the best videogame music that's ever existed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyyL_TICbrU

Unfortunately things take a bit of a downward turn in Homeworld 2, but it's still worth a playthrough. Apparently #3 is being made now, 17 years later, but we'll see how that turns out. There have also been a few spin off projects such as Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak which I really enjoyed but it's a much more traditional sort of RTS, and Homeworld: Cataclysm which is wonderful and absolutely worth a play if you never got a chance when it came out. These games are all really, really good looking even by modern standards, so adjusting to them isn't much of a challenge.

WHERE TO GET IT:
Gearbox remastered the games and re-released them. The graphics updates are really nice, but there are some issues with the unit behavior as the games were put into a unified engine and I guess that didn't exactly go swimmingly.
Homeworld Remastered on Steam
Homeworld Cataclysm (renamed Emergence) on GOG

Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, etc. I have a lot more experience with TA than SC, but these games work pretty hard to have the highest unit counts for any contemporary RTS out there. Supreme Commander (and #2) particularly emphasize just absolute masses of units with huuuuuge super units that make for some pretty spectacular battles. I think TA is my personal highlight of this series (and, again, wonderful music) but this series always struck me as a bit of a strange outlier in the RTS scene. Nothing else is really like them.

WHERE TO GET IT:
Total Annihilation is available on Steam
TA Kingdoms is available on GOG
Supreme Commander is on Steam

Age of Emprires 1, 2 and 3 are sort of a mix of Starcraft / Warcraft and Civilization. They're much faster paced than, say, Civilization but they still have the technology tree / advancement / cultural differences that Civilization brings. They're really, really fun and they've recently (all?) had really good remasters that has, apparently, caused a resurgence in competitive games and stuff. It's pretty easy to get caught up in Age of Empires games for hours and not really realize where the time has gone.

WHERE TO GET IT:
Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam
Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition on Steam
Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition on Steam

I'll add more to this OP as time progresses, but I figured this was a good starting point.

Pathos fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
OpenRA is a good way to play Red Alert/Tiberian Dawn/Dune 2000 and probably a few more games in modern resolutions with modern controls, both single and multiplayer
https://www.openra.net/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Nice OP! Got to recommend the C&C Remastered Collection on Steam as the games are still really fun to play, and the remastered spritework looks fantastic. Also the soundtrack is just as good as you remember, even moreso due to the higher audio quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-FQoNrwHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYBVSaRw5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1w73s4WvuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jpckwZhHQ

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 22, 2020

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah, it really is worth noting that the C&C remasters are possibly the best remasters ever made. They’re exceptionally good - the music is resampled / remastered, the FMVs have a ton of processing to try to upres them, and 100% of the graphics have been redone in 3D but then rendered out to sprites to perfectly match the original game. You can, of course, also switch back to the original graphics at will, too.

If you have ANY interest in C&C, grab the remasters. They’re really, really good.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I came here to mention my favorite RTS: Metal Fatigue! I will do a bit more of a write up on it later. But, I'm curious if anyone enjoys it as much as I do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Homeworld re-releases do not come with Homeworld Cataclysm, one of the best (possibly the best) Single Player expansions ever made.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

The Homeworld re-releases do not come with Homeworld Cataclysm, one of the best (possibly the best) Single Player expansions ever made.

Sidenote that this was renamed to Homeworld Emergence due to Blizzard getting the trademark, and is also 89% off on GOG right now.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Kazvall posted:

I came here to mention my favorite RTS: Metal Fatigue! I will do a bit more of a write up on it later. But, I'm curious if anyone enjoys it as much as I do?

it was very cool and ahead of it's time. Reminds me of Warzone 2100 in that regard (which has been open source since 2004, found here: https://wz2100.net/).

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Convex posted:

Sidenote that this was renamed to Homeworld Emergence due to Blizzard getting the trademark, and is also 89% off on GOG right now.

Oh hey 0.99 for a standalone, thanks!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
You know what game was totally underrated? Z.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

I remember PC Zone doing a front page review and giving it a great score, saying that the punishing difficulty was what really made it great. I think it later turned out the review copy was glitched and the actual release version was significantly easier :v:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Tim Thomas posted:

Dark Omen also. What a game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe such a good op left out age of empires and rise of nations

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

empire earth kicks rear end and is usually forgotten, age of empires always felt too much like starcraft or warcraft to me (quick games focused on micro and tactical decicions), empire earth was a lot more like total annihilation or supreme commander with more strategic games that took several hours, especially if you played against the cheating AI players

supreme commander is also great

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq0Oh0otQ0A i really dont remember whether krush kill 'n destroy was any good, but i did play it for a while, it was like a clone of C&C but on larger maps

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
can I Stan for the best rts in history, battlezone, or is that too far afield

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Creeper world is classic RTS, fight me

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shoutout to one of my favorite childhood games ever, Battle Bugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGHlL5jySU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
For anyone who likes Total Annihlation or streaming-economy large scale RTS in general, Zero-K is on Steam and free and maybe the best RTS currently around and still in active development.

Also never forget the classic Earth 21XX trilogy. Starts strong, amazing middle game(s), terrible last entry.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 22, 2020

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

site posted:

Can't believe such a good op left out age of empires and rise of nations

I can definitely add AoE and RoN. I never played a ton of AoE, but I do remember playing absolutely unreal amounts of RoN multiplayer. Good catch.

If someone wants to write up an Empire Earth effort post that would be cool. I never played them and know literally nothing about them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

For sure add something for AoE, especially AoE2, and specifically for AoE2 Definitive Edition.

The AoE2 competitive scene has been going through a bit of a zeitgeist of revival recently. This was sparked by the release of the Definitive Edition, which is an absolutely fantastic package of such a classic game, ready to go for modern systems. It was also catalyzed a bit by coming out relatively shortly before the pandemic started to change everything in the world. So, while tournaments were getting started for the revival, it managed to catch more traction than expected as everyone was starting to quarantine and looking for something fun to watch.

Like, both Red Bull and Microsoft sponsor AoE2 tournaments that get tens of thousands of viewers and prize pools going up to half a hundred thousand dollars. And patches that involve balance changes, new content, and new game play keep coming for it, so.

Probably the most successful "old RTS" today.

E: I have a code for 3 months of free Xbox Game Pass for new sign ups, it includes all three of the AoE Definitive Editions, let me know if you wanna check them out and I can forward it along.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 24, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Crosspostin'

Mordja posted:

Skylords Reborn, a fan-run resurrection of Battleforge just came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ1DfYM7eIk

Battleforge was a card-based RTS made by the makers of the original Spellforce games that came out, like, a decade ago before eventually getting discontinued and shut down by EA. Obviously inpired by Magic the Gathering, the game features four different colours (Fire, Ice, Dark, Nature) as well as, later, hybrid factions, each with their own set of units, emplacements and spells. It's got singleplayer and co-op campaigns, PVP and a whole host of player-made scenarios and the current devs plan to support the game with new content and events. I really enjoyed Spellforce back in the day and am looking forward to diving back in! The whole thing's completely free and available at:

https://www.skylords.eu/
Also gonna repost some of my big mod posts eventually because why not

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Oh yeah that's a very good one too. With the greatest main menu of any RTS ever. That Battleforges main menu didn't become the standard for any remotely competitive RTS brings shame on the entire genre.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh yeah that's a very good one too. With the greatest main menu of any RTS ever. That Battleforges main menu didn't become the standard for any remotely competitive RTS brings shame on the entire genre.

To explain: Battleforge's "Main Menu" is basically an empty field where you can test all of your units and abilities and spawn in enemies to use them on.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

As far as I know you can still get both MechCommander games free and they're pretty solid. MechCommander 1 has some weird issues with scrolling the screen edges though if you play in window mode and the view is zoomed in all the way, it scrolls slower and I've never found a fix.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

empire earth kicks rear end and is usually forgotten, age of empires always felt too much like starcraft or warcraft to me (quick games focused on micro and tactical decicions), empire earth was a lot more like total annihilation or supreme commander with more strategic games that took several hours, especially if you played against the cheating AI players

supreme commander is also great

I liked Empire Earth when it came out, but having revisited it a few years back that game is hot mess when it comes to unit relationships. The first 8 or so (of 15 ages oy vey) are all pretty straightforward, but as soon as gunpowder units become more common and especially once you start incorporating aircraft and cybers, it gets really hard to keep track of what is supposed to beat what. The game winds up suffering hard for its ambition, there's just way too many systems and features interacting at once that the game winds up feeling overwhelming and very difficult to get into.

It's also one of the few games I have ever played where the expansion seems to make the game considerably less balanced than it was before, due to adding unique powers to to each civ. In some cases it's pretty straightforward and not that big of a deal, like how the Advanced Mining power allows you to have more than six villagers on a resource, but then you have stuff like Flaming Arrows, which allows archers to take on buildings, something the game absolutely doesn't seem to be prepared to handle. Like in that particular example, it's to the point that a single archer can cause a chain reaction that can wipe out an entire town, it's complete nonsense.

But then other civilizations get totally screwed. For example the futuristic Russian faction is able to build expensive nuclear ICBM silos and strike almost anywhere they want. This might sound amazing, but to counteract this all the enemy has to do is make a designated anti-missile unit that is not terribly expensive and easy to mass and distribute, thus causing the power (which is only available in the last ages to begin with) to be nearly useless in practice.

I also have to say I don't think I've ever played another RTS with such blatantly cheap AI. They seemingly don't have to worry about resources at all, even if you wipe out all of their supply lines they can just create units forever with no downsides. The cheating is probably due to the quality of the AI itself, which is profoundly dumb and would probably be very easy to defeat otherwise.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the game but I don't think it ever had a chance against AOE2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My hot take on Homeworld is that HW2 is actually a much better campaign than HW1, it just kind of dives into the space mycticism angle more than people like and doesn't have the strong, driving through-line that the first game does. But its mission design is far more interesting and I prefer its gameplay mechanics, even if it means most units are a lot flimsier than their HW1 counterparts. DOK is alsofantastic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I never gave HW2 a fair chance. My mate was complaining of the outrageous fleet scaling going on, and when I fired it up I was greeted by an obnoxious blocky blizzard-esque UI, and every unit had clearly delineated firearms. "This Corvette's gun is good vs other corvettes" and "these weapons do bonus damage to subsystems" where a huge turnoff. After HW's strong storytelling and minimalism, I just couldn't be bothered.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I liked Empire Earth when it came out, but having revisited it a few years back that game is hot mess when it comes to unit relationships. The first 8 or so (of 15 ages oy vey) are all pretty straightforward, but as soon as gunpowder units become more common and especially once you start incorporating aircraft and cybers, it gets really hard to keep track of what is supposed to beat what. The game winds up suffering hard for its ambition, there's just way too many systems and features interacting at once that the game winds up feeling overwhelming and very difficult to get into.

It's also one of the few games I have ever played where the expansion seems to make the game considerably less balanced than it was before, due to adding unique powers to to each civ. In some cases it's pretty straightforward and not that big of a deal, like how the Advanced Mining power allows you to have more than six villagers on a resource, but then you have stuff like Flaming Arrows, which allows archers to take on buildings, something the game absolutely doesn't seem to be prepared to handle. Like in that particular example, it's to the point that a single archer can cause a chain reaction that can wipe out an entire town, it's complete nonsense.

But then other civilizations get totally screwed. For example the futuristic Russian faction is able to build expensive nuclear ICBM silos and strike almost anywhere they want. This might sound amazing, but to counteract this all the enemy has to do is make a designated anti-missile unit that is not terribly expensive and easy to mass and distribute, thus causing the power (which is only available in the last ages to begin with) to be nearly useless in practice.

I also have to say I don't think I've ever played another RTS with such blatantly cheap AI. They seemingly don't have to worry about resources at all, even if you wipe out all of their supply lines they can just create units forever with no downsides. The cheating is probably due to the quality of the AI itself, which is profoundly dumb and would probably be very easy to defeat otherwise.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the game but I don't think it ever had a chance against AOE2.

the game shone if you played against the AI, rather than against a human player. it really wasn't suitable for pvp matches but i didn't like to play rts against human players anyway and always found it stressful. instead my housemate and i at the time would play a game on LAN against 1 or 2 hard computers. the AI would cheat like crazy, just pumping units out of the ground, so you had to turtle up and slowly fight back from a stronghold while keeping up with the tech, it was more like a tower defense game. these games would last for 5 hours or something, like an entire evening where we'd pause the game to hold strategic meetings and decide which part of the AI's bullshit base to attack next

one thing i also remember is that we set the ages cap at "modern", the future stuff isn't really much fun

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Is Empire Earth worth playing nowadays if you’ve never played it before? If so, which one? I have, as I said, zero experience with the series so I don’t even know where to start with it.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Pathos posted:

Is Empire Earth worth playing nowadays if you’ve never played it before? If so, which one? I have, as I said, zero experience with the series so I don’t even know where to start with it.

First game probably isn't a bad place to start. Truthfully I haven't played the other two, but what I've heard of EE2 is that it simplifies quite a lot, which doesn't sound like a bad thing, exactly, but EE1's big strength (and weakness) is that it's a massively cluttered and messy game, in a way that RTS games aren't really made anymore. EE3 is apparently a bad game outright and seemed to kill the series.

That said, if you give it a try, consider giving the first campaign a go, I seem to recall it's pretty good and not bad at teaching some of the more esoteric EE game mechanics.

Shibawanko posted:

the game shone if you played against the AI, rather than against a human player. it really wasn't suitable for pvp matches but i didn't like to play rts against human players anyway and always found it stressful. instead my housemate and i at the time would play a game on LAN against 1 or 2 hard computers. the AI would cheat like crazy, just pumping units out of the ground, so you had to turtle up and slowly fight back from a stronghold while keeping up with the tech, it was more like a tower defense game. these games would last for 5 hours or something, like an entire evening where we'd pause the game to hold strategic meetings and decide which part of the AI's bullshit base to attack next

one thing i also remember is that we set the ages cap at "modern", the future stuff isn't really much fun

I feel like you almost described a part of my life here. LAN versus the computer is really the way to go, I don't think there's any other RTS that really plays out like EE does for that. It's an extremely long haul, you pretty much can't have anything else you have to do for several hours.

And you're 100% right about the Digital Age onward. On paper it sounds pretty cool, but in practice having to figure out how each cyber interacts with other units, plus the significant influx of casting units makes the whole thing far more complicated and much more micro intensive. It just doesn't really play super well.

Funny story, the version of the game I had came with this extremely detailed game/strategy guide that included excerpts from professional Empire Earth players (lol) and the way they described the game at that level sounded extremely unfun compared to trying to find out ways to outfox the AI, particularly in the later ages.

edit:
I feel the need to explain the extra age added to the expansion for those who haven't played the game. It's called the Space Age, adding intergalactic combat to the game. Sort of.

In order to use any of the space units (excluding the planetary fighter), you need to be playing on one of the map types that allows for space. What they did is make it that instead of there being water tiles on a space map, there are instead space tiles, which are pretty much just water in terms of function, but naval ships obviously cannot make use of the space and docks cannot be built there, instead space docks and space ships can be built there. It's incredibly janky but also kind of funny and I have to appreciate the attempt.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 24, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If I ever touch Homeworld Remastered again I'm using the player's patch and jacking the AI fleet scaling all the way to the bottom because gently caress that noise.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zeether posted:

If I ever touch Homeworld Remastered again I'm using the player's patch and jacking the AI fleet scaling all the way to the bottom because gently caress that noise.

Lol I think that's exactly what I did.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did remastered change anything about HW1's scaling? I know it existed, but it was so low key as to be unnoticeable in the original.

edit: drat, they really did drop the ball in so many ways on that remaster.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 24, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It's HW2's scaling I believe. Which is ridiculous and why the player's patch is a thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Modpost #1

Mordja posted:

Effortpost incoming, my first ever on these forums Something Awful.com. Please notice me sempai!

What is TA?
Total Annihilation is a 1997 real-time strategy game designed by Chris Taylor of the long defunct Cavedog Entertainment. Two similar factions, the ARM and the CORE, battle it out over separate 25 mission campaigns, a skirmish mode and online multiplayer. A pair of expansion packs were released not long after, The Core Contingency and Battle Tactics, the former of which added a bunch of new units while the second one was basically just a mission pack.

Total Annihilation is available on Steam and on GOG, should work out the box with Windows 10, and even supports native widescreen, possibly even 4k, which is crazy considering its age.

What makes TA special?
Warfare on a massive scale: With over 150 units and buildings at launch, TA featured more aspects of warfare than any game before it, or arguably since. Battling over land, sea and air, you could crush your foe with a gunship-supported army of tanks and robots, you could build a massive artillery base and shell them back into the stone-age, you could launch a surprise attack from sea with an assortment of ships, hovercraft and underwater tanks. Core Contingency expanded these concepts even further, adding a third technology level to the eponymous Core and letting them build the mighty Krogoth, a huge, one-man army mech, and allowing the ability to construct an entire base beneath the waves.

Macro>Micro: Though you could actually take out the AI's Commander with a small squad of starting units if you were quick enough, TA's focus was definitely on production lines and army composition over APM. The game uses a very unique resource system, where you're constantly gaining metal and energy up to what your current storage can hold, and construction drains from this pool at different rates, depending on what you're building. This means you can't actually really run out of cash, and all $ is generated from a variety of static buildings, but you can definitely stall out your economy if you aren't mindful. The game also isn't balanced around a simple rock/paper/scissors system; for example a vertical-launch rocket will always do a lot of damage to whatever it hits, but first it has to hit. Which leads to...

A fully 3D battlefield: TA might not have been the first three-dimensional RTS made, that distinction probably belongs to some obscure European title. But it was definitely the most notable one at the time. Though presented from a top-down perspective, every object in the game, every unit, weapon, or terrain feature operated under a consistent physics model. This meant that an artillery cannon's plasma projectile could miss its intended target but still hit and damage whatever was behind it. Tanks would struggle getting up steep hills, giving merit to the individually weaker Kbots. A heavy laser tower surrounded by walls could remain practically impervious to anything with a low arc of fire, while being able to fire over protection due to its height. This 3D gameplay extended to its LOS system; mountains and forests could block a player's sight, making radar and sonar stations and absolute must.

The music: Jeremy Soule's first major composition, TA's soundtrack also nabbed him his first industry award. It's a dynamic, sweeping, orchestral affair that waxes and wanes accordingly. Seriously, listen to this poo poo!

Modding
Custom content was encouraged and supported from the very beginning of TA's release, leading to the creation of literally thousands of individual units, maps, balance mods, new races and total conversions. There are mods that turn the game into WW2, into Star Wars, into an original space RTS. It boggles the mind. Most everything can still be downloaded from the Unit/FileUniverse, too.

Development continues to this day; TA Zero re-imagines the Total Annihilation universe, emphasizing factional asymmetry and adding an entirely new, alien race, while Devolution contains only a few additions and aims to make sure every tool has its purpose. But by far the largest, and most active mod is Escalation.

Total Annihilation Escalation adds a slew of high-quality new units over every tier, over every front, rebalances the entire game, and pushes the engine to the limit. Its got bubble shields and teleporters. Certain units and structures can be upgraded. Tier 3 has been expanded with a full arsenal of powerful, pricey new toys, and a game-ending (temporarily removed :v:) fourth tech level was added. Its sheer scale and variety is absolutely insane, and Escalation's become the de-facto way to play TA online. The latest version came out around a month ago, with balance patch on the way, after which the dev plans to wrap up T3, make the naval game more enticing, and add even more ridiculous T4 juggernauts.

The future of TA
gently caress if I know. Wargaming acquired the license a few years back and Chris Taylor worked with them for a bit, subsequently left. He's currently working on something new but there's nothing on that yet. There have, of course, been numerous Total Annihilation "successors," commercial and otherwise, but I won't touch on them here and I never really liked them anywhere near as much as the original. Despite my love for the game, it does have a few issues that prevent a revival: pathfinding can wonk out at times, the AI is very simplistic and just sends constant swarms at you, and the netcode isn't great. Currently, multiplayer games are all played through GameRanger, so there's a barrier to entry too. There's still a small, but active community over on https://www.tauniverse.com the surviving hub for all things TA. I should mention that one guy over there is working on his own , open-source engine for the game that's basically aiming to replicate it instead of doing its own thing like Spring, but he's just one man. Still, I highly encourage everyone to buy TA and play skirmishes and mods because it's still the loving best. :colbert:

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Mordja posted:

Modpost #1

This is a great post and has a bunch of information in it that I didn’t know about. I’m curious to try some of these expansions! Thanks for effort posting.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I played Planetary Annihilation a while ago and was only lukewarm on it, but it did seem like a direct TA successor, from the eyes of someone who never touched those games. Was it any good, according to the experts? I kinda got bored of it. I also question the 'no apm' claim as in PA, for every spare second there was always something to do, a hallmark of good real-time games.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Serephina posted:

I played Planetary Annihilation a while ago and was only lukewarm on it, but it did seem like a direct TA successor, from the eyes of someone who never touched those games. Was it any good, according to the experts? I kinda got bored of it. I also question the 'no apm' claim as in PA, for every spare second there was always something to do, a hallmark of good real-time games.

the problem with that game is that you just lose oversight of what's going on, you fight on a bunch of generic planets that are hard to remember, you have to switch between them to manage these huge armies and it starts to feel more like youre a manager than a general, you're just outnumbering your enemy rather than outsmarting him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Does Starcraft transcend the "Old RTS" title or something?