Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TuxedoOrca posted:

I played Generals as a kid back in the day, but developed a bit of hate for it because I liked Red Alert and it seemed like it was forgotten in favor of Generals. Of course, with age I mellowed out, so much so I was pleasently surprised when I saw they put it in this pack. Might have to buy it.

Nah, Generals was totally overlooked afterwards in favour of the inferior C&C series. Highly unfortunate that they never made Generals 2 in the end. But at least Generals has the quotability of at least three RTS', so there's plenty of material to keep etched into my brain! :D Can't go past any of the GLA quotes, for instance - they're all so good, hahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

thinkin about war wind rn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp4qnxtuiiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMER7bHye90

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 18, 2024

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

I had War Wind 2 as a kid but didn't like it because one of the main terrain tiles looks like cinnamon buns. I was a dumb kid. I got it again on gog recently and played a little. Seems like a really cool game. It's on my list to play.... Some time.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

WAR!
WIND!
What is it good for?
Absolutely making the ground look like cinnamon rolls

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What is that supposed to be, anyways? Tree roots? Mud/muddy water? Actual cinnamon buns?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh yeah, seeing that now and if I was a kid when I first saw it I would totally think they were cinnamon buns also.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I remember trying to get into War Wind and finding it too fiddly, or hard to control or something. Forget the details but it was atypical compared to something like C&C or TA.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I loved the world building of War Wind with the weird asymmetric factions and the wildlife. I didn't love that it plugged in raid/hero style missions in the campaign instead of good old base building. Sadly, that poo poo was a preview of the future. Picked up the War Wind pack on gog at some point on sale, should get on to replaying it. Never played 2 though, but there's like a single faction and it's humans? That sounds like a hell of a boring downgrade compared to orc bikers, kung fu monk aliens, telepath slavers and revolutionary guerilla trees.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Anyone here tried Starcraft Reversed? It's the single player campaigns remixed so you're playing the opposite side of each mission, and I think the AI must be on a high difficulty. It's fun and challenging as hell for a scrub player like myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKX7eTzr-y4

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That is awesome, though it does get kind of funny when you consider how many times Reynor has to die through the campaigns. Overmind should have just captured and turned him rather than Kerrigan.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i think i had one of the war winds. IIRC it was okay but no Dark Colony, which I don't think I could get working last time I tried

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Escape Goat posted:

Anyone here tried Starcraft Reversed? It's the single player campaigns remixed so you're playing the opposite side of each mission, and I think the AI must be on a high difficulty. It's fun and challenging as hell for a scrub player like myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKX7eTzr-y4

I've been watching GiantGrantGames play a bunch of stuff like this for sc1 and 2 and maaaaaaan.

There's some really good stuff in SC2. I'm hella impressed with what people have done with the tools.

Too bad I don't own a copy and never will again! :unsmith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, a lot of SC2 is free now, including all the mods, I think.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mordja posted:

Blizz just shat the bed hard enough as a company that their stuff is tainted for me now, you know?

No shade to people who enjoy product. We all have our personal thresholds and they are nebulous often to ourselves. But kid and teen me loved Blizzard and... yeah. Best to not dwell. We have a bunch of cool stuff on the horizon to look forward to instead! Gimmi dat DORF.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordja posted:

Elaborate? I bought the three campaigns as they where being released, and I know they quickly made the multiplayer free, but other than making the campaigns free there's isn't much else to give away - there's no way in hell they'd ever give away the co-op commanders or cosmetic packs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

Elaborate? I bought the three campaigns as they where being released, and I know they quickly made the multiplayer free, but other than making the campaigns free there's isn't much else to give away - there's no way in hell they'd ever give away the co-op commanders or cosmetic packs.
Multiplayer alone is...a lot, because it comes with full access to the Arcade and all of its mods, which includes an entire SC1 remake among a million other things. They also did, in fact, make give away the entire Terran campaign, and I think there's a free Protoss prologue as well. As for coop, I recall you have full access to three (kinda basic) commanders, but you might be able to play all the others up to level 10, as well.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Whether Starcraft 1 or Starcraft 2, campaign mods are good and fun.

Whether it's silly stuff like Randomizers in SC2, cool ideas like the AI Allies mods, or genuinely difficult mods that add a bunch of extra features on top of that, like UEDAIP.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

Whether Starcraft 1 or Starcraft 2, campaign mods are good and fun.

Whether it's silly stuff like Randomizers in SC2, cool ideas like the AI Allies mods, or genuinely difficult mods that add a bunch of extra features on top of that, like UEDAIP.

I was so loving hooked to Campaign Creations back it the day. Wanderers of Sorceria was so much fun to me. There was also a really interesting "what if" which told the story of the zerg infesting Earth, the UED attempting to resist and the protoss being in the shadows meddling.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Thyrork posted:

I was so loving hooked to Campaign Creations back it the day. Wanderers of Sorceria was so much fun to me. There was also a really interesting "what if" which told the story of the zerg infesting Earth, the UED attempting to resist and the protoss being in the shadows meddling.

you mean Legacy of the Confederation? Did you know the first 11 missions of a remake were released a year ago for SC2, by (at least one of) the original author(s)? See: https://uedfl.com/. Pretty good imo!

Campaign Creations was awesome, I spent way too much time playing all those custom campaigns. I was very bummed that SC2 didn't have any proper custom campaigns when it launched. It's great to see that custom campaigns are finally back in starcraft, more than a decade after release (jesus christ)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know a big one is UED:First Light, anyone play that?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Mordja posted:

I know a big one is UED:First Light, anyone play that?

That's the one I just linked :cheers: It's impressive, but also kinda a slog and definitely not as polished as the first party SC2 campaigns.

The other big custom standalone sc2 campaign is Mass Recall, a complete remake of SC1+brood war. It's very polished and complete; when using the default options it plays very much like a direct port of SC1 with some QoL additions. You it also adds loads of stuff like difficulty options -- not just by adding units/giving the ai more resources, but also changing compositions and adding spellcasting abilities; and you can add brood war units to the base campaign & unique abilities for hero's; they recreated all the fmvs in-engine (or you can watch the originals), and much more.

Most of the cool custom campaigns being made now come from the GiantGrantGames community and are built on top of one of the base campaigns, and range from modifying units/graphics/difficulties to what we used to call 'total conversions'. You can find the mods on their discord https://discord.com/invite/q6T296q. Highly recommended, even though I hate using discord to get the mods.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Samopsa posted:

That's the one I just linked :cheers: It's impressive, but also kinda a slog and definitely not as polished as the first party SC2 campaigns.

The other big custom standalone sc2 campaign is Mass Recall, a complete remake of SC1+brood war. It's very polished and complete; when using the default options it plays very much like a direct port of SC1 with some QoL additions. You it also adds loads of stuff like difficulty options -- not just by adding units/giving the ai more resources, but also changing compositions and adding spellcasting abilities; and you can add brood war units to the base campaign & unique abilities for hero's; they recreated all the fmvs in-engine (or you can watch the originals), and much more.

Most of the cool custom campaigns being made now come from the GiantGrantGames community and are built on top of one of the base campaigns, and range from modifying units/graphics/difficulties to what we used to call 'total conversions'. You can find the mods on their discord https://discord.com/invite/q6T296q. Highly recommended, even though I hate using discord to get the mods.

It's been years since I've played SC1 but SC2 Mass Recall is tough. I don't know if the devs made any actual adjustments to the missions or if I'm just not remembering clearly, but some of the latter missions in each campaign took a few tries.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Samopsa posted:

Mass Recall is nothing short of amazing and I highly recommend it to people. It's a great remake of SC1 and the little in-game cutscenes that they added make it stand out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

TheHoosier posted:

It's been years since I've played SC1 but SC2 Mass Recall is tough. I don't know if the devs made any actual adjustments to the missions or if I'm just not remembering clearly, but some of the latter missions in each campaign took a few tries.

Technically it is a bit harder than the original campaigns. The AI hits with more units, etc. If I remember right, the idea is that part of the struggle with SC1 was that you were also fighting the UI and the controls and the pathing of the units as much as the enemy. in Sc2, that's no longer true, so the enemies have picked up that slack. So the enemies are stronger, but so are you by simple virtue of "it's so much easier to control your stuff"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I never actually got around to playing StarCraft 2. It came out in a point of my life where I didn't have good enough PC to run it, and was preoccupied with other things. Played a lot of SC1 though back in the day (really the campaign, skirmish, and Custom Game Modes online).

If I want to replay the SC1 campaign, is Mass Recall a good enough way to do it or should I just get the SC1 remaster? Eventually I want to play the SC2 campaigns as well, but I figured why not go through SC1 again first since I last played it probably over 20 years ago at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The plot of SC2 is unforgivably bad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Groovelord Neato posted:

Eh, it's not like I'm incredibly invested in the StarCraft story and lore. I can forgive terrible stories if the actual missions are fun to play and well designed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wings of Liberty's plot was fine, though Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void can gently caress right off with their whole ":actually: the Zerg weren't actually Evil or an all-consuming hoard, they were just poor innocent little angels that were made evil by Amon, who died a long time ago but is still controlling everything. Also, Kerrigan isn't responsible for the warcrimes she committed" plot.

Parts of both plots were interesting, and the actual campaign mechanics were fun, but MAN I don't think I've seen a plot swandive into poo poo quite as quickly as that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Turning the Zerg into the Kroot was so funny it's like come on guys we already know this is Warhammer 40k.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wow sounds like somebody here's gotten corrupted

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I like when Tassadar screams HERE COMES THE GANTRITHOR

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Starcraft 2 still has the absolute coolest way to do an RTS campaign I've ever seen.

I adored the point and click adventure gamey segments in between the missions and the surprise of having unit upgrades!

Heart of the Swarm was cool with how OP you could make Kerrigan and pretty much take on missions almost singlehandedly by yourself.

I never got around to Legacy of the Void cause idgaf about the Protoss lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blizzard did some neat stuff in the Starcraft 2, for sure. I did get a little worn out by the gimmick missions but that may be a minority opinion. I like variety but I also like a good set of standard base building missions.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Decided to play Mass Recall in SC2 to "replay" the SC1 campaign, and just got my rear end kicked on normal mode for the early Terran 30 minute base defense mission lmao.

I was ~2 minutes away from the mission ending and just got steamrolled.

E: Beat it, was too aggressive and and didn't leave enough at base on my first play through.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 2, 2024

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I never actually got around to playing StarCraft 2. It came out in a point of my life where I didn't have good enough PC to run it, and was preoccupied with other things. Played a lot of SC1 though back in the day (really the campaign, skirmish, and Custom Game Modes online).

If I want to replay the SC1 campaign, is Mass Recall a good enough way to do it or should I just get the SC1 remaster? Eventually I want to play the SC2 campaigns as well, but I figured why not go through SC1 again first since I last played it probably over 20 years ago at this point.

They're both good and mass recall is very polished. Story, levels and voice overs are the same between both games. Restating what someone else said here: If you want to play sc1 in the sc2 engine and all of its improvements, go for mass recall. If you want to play sc1 in the original engine with its quirks, go for that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The original Starcraft is free to play too, if you want to go with a more "warts and all" approach to the campaign.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Samopsa posted:

you mean Legacy of the Confederation? Did you know the first 11 missions of a remake were released a year ago for SC2, by (at least one of) the original author(s)? See: https://uedfl.com/. Pretty good imo!

Campaign Creations was awesome, I spent way too much time playing all those custom campaigns. I was very bummed that SC2 didn't have any proper custom campaigns when it launched. It's great to see that custom campaigns are finally back in starcraft, more than a decade after release (jesus christ)

Yes! And I'm watching GiantGrantGames playing UED after your recommendation. :allears:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Entorwellian posted:

They're both good and mass recall is very polished. Story, levels and voice overs are the same between both games. Restating what someone else said here: If you want to play sc1 in the sc2 engine and all of its improvements, go for mass recall. If you want to play sc1 in the original engine with its quirks, go for that.

Randalor posted:

The original Starcraft is free to play too, if you want to go with a more "warts and all" approach to the campaign.

I decided to go the Mass Recall route, if only because not being able to select more than 12 units at a time in SC1 always infuriated me even back in the day.

So far, I'm finding it enjoyable. I sure did forget just how much other Terran you fight during the first half of the Terran campaign, though. I understand it from a story perspective, but it is interesting from a pacing angle.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So far, I'm finding it enjoyable. I sure did forget just how much other Terran you fight during the first half of the Terran campaign, though. I understand it from a story perspective, but it is interesting from a pacing angle.

Fully 50% of Episode 1 is Terran vs Terran, even if you include the two cut missions (which can be enabled in Mass Recall).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fully 50% of Episode 1 is Terran vs Terran, even if you include the two cut missions (which can be enabled in Mass Recall).

Yeah, I chose not to enable the cut missions because I didn't really want to "add" anything to it beyond what the mod already adds.

I'm getting my rear end kicked on Mission 7 "The Trump Card" right now. Playing on Normal, it seems like a huge spike in difficulty.

Guess I just gotta get good.