Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fully 50% of Episode 1 is Terran vs Terran, even if you include the two cut missions (which can be enabled in Mass Recall).

How do you enable the cut content? I downloaded it last night and played the tutorial mission to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up too badly installing it, but I didn't notice anything about cut content (though I'm happy you mentioned them, I wouldn't have thought to look otherwise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Randalor posted:

How do you enable the cut content? I downloaded it last night and played the tutorial mission to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up too badly installing it, but I didn't notice anything about cut content (though I'm happy you mentioned them, I wouldn't have thought to look otherwise).

Check the options menu in the "hub" menu for Mass Recall. There are a number of options like enabling the cut missions, enabling extra hero appearances so they show up on more maps (both friendly *and* occasionally hostile), option to give Hero units extra abilities, and even an option to enable an extra difficulty above and beyond the default "Hard" mode. And a bunch of other options.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

DatonKallandor posted:

Zero-K

It's got great balance, a ridiclously good UI, smart unit AI and your choice between a campaign with xp and progression mechanics, standard skirmish and a wave survival horde mode. All of it fully coop enabled - even the campaign.

And PvP I guess, but whatever.

Old post, I know, but this looks rad! I'm surprised this one passed me by. Can somebody elaborate on how good the AI is?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
It is not an idiot, it will try to flank you. It will go for your eco. It will blow up your explosive structures. I can't speak confidently about it by comparison to other games but me and daton have had a fine time cooping the campaign and the ai has surprised us a fair few times.

I have seen it make mistakes 'tho. Such as one mission where the objective was a big scary robot and it went and jumped into a hole after using its doomday ray on a unit nearby.

"Professionally stupid". Good enough to give old hounds like me pause, not so perfect that it wont screwup sometimes, and doesn't fall into the trap of being "perfect at the game and ready to slap your face in for even daring to play it."

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2024

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Thyrork posted:

I was so loving hooked to Campaign Creations back it the day. Wanderers of Sorceria was so much fun to me. There was also a really interesting "what if" which told the story of the zerg infesting Earth, the UED attempting to resist and the protoss being in the shadows meddling.

Samopsa posted:

you mean Legacy of the Confederation? Did you know the first 11 missions of a remake were released a year ago for SC2, by (at least one of) the original author(s)? See: https://uedfl.com/. Pretty good imo!

Campaign Creations was awesome, I spent way too much time playing all those custom campaigns. I was very bummed that SC2 didn't have any proper custom campaigns when it launched. It's great to see that custom campaigns are finally back in starcraft, more than a decade after release (jesus christ)

I am actually thinking of doing a retrospective thread on a lot of the Starcraft/Brood War custom campaigns, including Antioch and LotC, when I wrap up my Expanse Let's Read in a few months. Probably all the notable ones: Antioch 1 and 2, LotC 1 and 2, Shifters, Bob, etc. Sort of a look at the history and how they evolved and just how awesome they were.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'd actually be very interested in a look at mods for Blizzard games, because despite them being such a major part of my childhood and me always loving mods, I think the only mod I ever played for a -craft was (I think, it's been a long time) The Tales of Ravignion for Warcraft 3.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I only really got into SC/BW custom campaigns (although I finished and have a big soft spot for Wanderers of Sorceria) but I'd be happy for other people to talk about different areas of the community and such!

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 6, 2024

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm down for that thread to be real. :getin:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

catlord posted:

I'd actually be very interested in a look at mods for Blizzard games, because despite them being such a major part of my childhood and me always loving mods, I think the only mod I ever played for a -craft was (I think, it's been a long time) The Tales of Ravignion for Warcraft 3.

I was legit trying to play this very mod again a couple months ago, but no dice. :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My favorite most ambitious mod for wc3 was the one that tried to make it into an fps I believe.

People were crazy as poo poo back then and likewise talented. God drat there were great UMS and mods

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I've been playing through Total Annihilation: Core Contingency on my time off and it's brutal. The Lusch planet missions for both sides in particular, where you either get attacked by unrelenting Arm pelicans + hovercrafts or Core Rapiers + Mortys. There's no building space at first, but each battle destroys more and more terrain and lets you build defenses outward. Until then though, you have to keep enduring wave after wave of asymmetrical attacks. It's an interesting mechanic, to be sure.

Also hovercrafts suck so much.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, Core Contingency is rough. I remember clearing it back in the days, but retried it recently in a nostalgia trip and I got wrecked on the first mission. :stare:

Hovercrafts are really puny alright.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

I was legit trying to play this very mod again a couple months ago, but no dice. :(

I think it got mentioned in a CGW issue, I had to ask my dad to download it since it was his computer and he didn't want me poking around and downloading poo poo from the internet (honestly, probably rightly, a friend and I had already gotten one computer a truly ludicrous amount of viruses once when we were left unsupervised one night).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Thyrork posted:

I'm down for that thread to be real. :getin:

Well, as soon as I can think up a title! I've pre-written a bunch of posts and there's enough interest that I should be able to balance it and my various other creative things.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Entorwellian posted:

I've been playing through Total Annihilation: Core Contingency on my time off and it's brutal. The Lusch planet missions for both sides in particular, where you either get attacked by unrelenting Arm pelicans + hovercrafts or Core Rapiers + Mortys. There's no building space at first, but each battle destroys more and more terrain and lets you build defenses outward. Until then though, you have to keep enduring wave after wave of asymmetrical attacks. It's an interesting mechanic, to be sure.

Also hovercrafts suck so much.

Oh yeah, TA:CC is rough. I too remember TA very fondly - particularly multiplayer. In a 2v2 a friend and I had a massive fleet of Krow gunships. We just flew them in a straight line over the other two players' base, back and forth until they were rubble. Did it again right after (despite giving them plenty of warning that we WILL do it) and then they promptly banned the Krow from all future games :allears: Such a fun plane

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

I just beat both campaigns for TA: CC. The Core ones were overall harder, but Arm mission 6 I had to re-attempt probably a good 8 times or so because of how merciless the attacks are. I did like the new seaplanes, but the hovercrafts handle worse than ships. Also the Krogoth is such a ridiculous, novelty unit. It made the last mission a nightmare when you have to take one down in 90 minutes and I did so with about 5 minutes to spare. Overall, it was a good expansion pack and I am glad I waited until later in life to finally play through them. I probably would have given up or cheated when I was a youth.

I tried playing a few Battle Tactics missions and I think I'm going to skip out on them. It's poo poo like "This mission will teach you how to use the d-gun" which I don't need to know, thanks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Entorwellian posted:

I just beat both campaigns for TA: CC. The Core ones were overall harder, but Arm mission 6 I had to re-attempt probably a good 8 times or so because of how merciless the attacks are. I did like the new seaplanes, but the hovercrafts handle worse than ships. Also the Krogoth is such a ridiculous, novelty unit. It made the last mission a nightmare when you have to take one down in 90 minutes and I did so with about 5 minutes to spare. Overall, it was a good expansion pack and I am glad I waited until later in life to finally play through them. I probably would have given up or cheated when I was a youth.

I tried playing a few Battle Tactics missions and I think I'm going to skip out on them. It's poo poo like "This mission will teach you how to use the d-gun" which I don't need to know, thanks.

I've never actually beaten any TA campaign, original or expansion. I want to play it with the Escalation mod, but I'm not sure they're compatible.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I started playing Warzone 2100 again lately. That game has so many neat ideas but man is the unit pathfinding poo poo. If you try to move more than a couple of units together they get confused by each other and bumble around like idiots.

I really like the campaign structure though. I really wish more RTS games did the same.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Well, I was enjoying StarCraft: Mass Recall, until I hit a pretty annoying bug. I'm now getting "Save Failed" messages whenever I try and save my game on the New Gettysburg level. If I quit out, relaunch, and select the mission from the mission select screen it just says the map failed to load.

If I load a save from the previous mission seconds before I beat it, I can then load into New Gettysburg, but get the same "Save Failed" bug.

:google: says one of the issues could be that my map files are in the wrong folder, but that's not true since I've been playing fine up until now (and I've double checked).

Bummer, because I was enjoying it a lot!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, I was enjoying StarCraft: Mass Recall, until I hit a pretty annoying bug. I'm now getting "Save Failed" messages whenever I try and save my game on the New Gettysburg level. If I quit out, relaunch, and select the mission from the mission select screen it just says the map failed to load.

If I load a save from the previous mission seconds before I beat it, I can then load into New Gettysburg, but get the same "Save Failed" bug.

:google: says one of the issues could be that my map files are in the wrong folder, but that's not true since I've been playing fine up until now (and I've double checked).

Bummer, because I was enjoying it a lot!

Yeah this halted my playthrough as well. Hoping it was just me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

I started playing Warzone 2100 again lately. That game has so many neat ideas but man is the unit pathfinding poo poo. If you try to move more than a couple of units together they get confused by each other and bumble around like idiots.

I really like the campaign structure though. I really wish more RTS games did the same.

Is it still that way in the modern port?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah this halted my playthrough as well. Hoping it was just me

Ahh, drat! I would just go and buy StarCraft remastered, but I’m being very serious when I say that I cannot stand only being able to select 12 units a time.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ahh, drat! I would just go and buy StarCraft remastered, but I’m being very serious when I say that I cannot stand only being able to select 12 units a time.

Nah that's a legit hinderance to the enjoyment of starcraft. "hey cool unit ability, too bad ill never use it outside of commando missions!"

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

simply play starcraft 64 instead and select a princely 18 units at once

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
all rtses should actually be ta/supcom

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Been saying this for decades

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
at least let me zoom out more!!!

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

rts where the minimap and main screen are swapped

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is it still that way in the modern port?

Yep, that's how I'm playing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

90s Cringe Rock posted:

at least let me zoom out more!!!

Fun fact, Starcraft Remastered actually added a cheat code called "Zoom Zoom". Which does, in fact, let you zoom out more. A LOT more.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Zooming out is rude to be honest. One or more people spent hours or days or months on that model and you just want to turn it into a couple of pixels. You should feel bad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The team behind Tempest Rising posted some development updates:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1486920/view/4167592764428532000

This is probably the "Boomer-RTS" revival game I'm looking forward to the most, and it seems like things are (mostly) on the right track. The delay on the third playable faction kinda sucks, but the rest of the news seems good.

I like that they reworked the unit movement, because that was one of the things that bothered me in the demos.

Mostly, I'm just glad this game didn't get murdered by the all the Embracer bullshit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

As long as that does not include Rougpelt.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Poil posted:

As long as that does not include Rougpelt.

My friend, there are maps in Core Contingency that make Rougpelt seem like a fun training exercise. You will have missions that have non-stop ice comets falling on you, earthquakes and worlds with no land to build on.

edit: there's a Total Annihilation pro-league that play games frequently with a modded version called ProTA. It leaves the most-used units alone and re-balances the lesser used ones to have a purpose in one way another. It's also compatible with the campaign games (makes them a bit harder in some instances, from what other players recorded.) I tried a few multiplayer games but the other players are way better than me at it so I'll probably just stick to single player myself.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, the big multiplayer mods are definitely ProTA, which is basically the original game but rebalanced, and Escalation, which is basically TA+++. The latter does also have its own casts: https://www.youtube.com/@NactSuht

My personal favourite might be the lesser-known TA Zero though, a total conversion which adds some of the factional asymmetry of Starcraft while still very much playing like a TA game.

E: The one problem with TA is that its netcode is pretty poo poo, so online games get pretty laggy, fast.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 13, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The old Arm Gunship Powerpoint strat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
When I was a kid, I'd solved TA by building an impregnable wall of defences (I guess I must have had fog of war turned off), set my one air factory to build 200 gunships and go to bed. Then I'd wake up and win the game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've never played TA, but i like to win in Supreme Commander by building up my defenses and then building the massive gently caress-off artillery cannon and playing "Guess where the enemy commanders are".

No I don't play online at all, why do you ask?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Randalor posted:

I've never played TA, but i like to win in Supreme Commander by building up my defenses and then building the massive gently caress-off artillery cannon and playing "Guess where the enemy commanders are".

No I don't play online at all, why do you ask?

Thats exactly how me and my friends played, and we loved it. Although my friends were CORE and they'd make a few krogoths. I need to play TA or SupCom again. Didn't Supreme Commander get some kind of unofficial patch or rework on it within the last few years, improving AI, performance, and stability? I can't find its name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Node posted:

Thats exactly how me and my friends played, and we loved it. Although my friends were CORE and they'd make a few krogoths. I need to play TA or SupCom again. Didn't Supreme Commander get some kind of unofficial patch or rework on it within the last few years, improving AI, performance, and stability? I can't find its name.

Forged Alliance Forever