Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there any RTS (with a budget, not just an indie with one demo reel from three years ago) in development that's a spiritual successor to Forged Alliance? I think Chris Taylor is retired, has anyone picked up the mass-scale battles, automated production torch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Zero-K? Although your "with a budget" part makes me wonder if you mean "looks better then FA."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there any RTS (with a budget, not just an indie with one demo reel from three years ago) in development that's a spiritual successor to Forged Alliance? I think Chris Taylor is retired, has anyone picked up the mass-scale battles, automated production torch?

Chris Taylor actually isn't retired and is working on a new game, but there's been very little info on it and I doubt it has much budget. Otherwise, you've got Sanctuary, which is made up of ex-SupCom modders and is supposed to have a Kickstarter later this year.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The latter NOD missions in the original C&C are fuckin rough. I don't remember them being this hard. I've been doing a replay of the C&C series, and these missions are beating the piss out of me. I don't know if they did any rebalancing in the remaster, but they probably could have used another look, lol

C&C3 still feels like the "best" one to play, even though I don't really care for the retcons and plot changes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, for me C&C 3 is peak C&C formula. They really took the best of the OG & Generals/LOTR RTS games they did after Generals and combined them into a game that feels great to play, and is a lot of fun.

They were also very active in the community leading up to and directly after release, which was refreshing to see from EA.

Does anyone else remember their battlecast videos, and more importantly the battlecast software? C&C3 made a big push for Esports (way back in 2007!) and part of that push was a website that automatically recorded and uploaded the replay files of every match played online. It was very functional - you can sort it by amount of players, map played etc and just download and watch people’s replays. It was a really cool idea, I wish it stuck around longer. I think it was dead and buried by the time RA3 came out.

I still occasionally visit Gamereplays.org to download a view replays to watch.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I don't know if they did any rebalancing in the remaster

The only change I know about is in Air Strike target priority. In the original game they always targeted the unit furthest to the top left, but now they instead use a calcuation for "most valuable" unit, which includes base defenses. As I understand it this is technically a bug fix, and how the game was supposed to work originally.

In practice this means a single SAM site can distract Air Strikes forever, since it gets higher priority than almost everything else you can build, and can survive a 3-plane Air Strike. Unfortunately Obelisks have higher priority, and will get destroyed almost instantly unless you spend an insane amount on anti-air.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nostalgamus posted:

The only change I know about is in Air Strike target priority. In the original game they always targeted the unit furthest to the top left, but now they instead use a calcuation for "most valuable" unit, which includes base defenses. As I understand it this is technically a bug fix, and how the game was supposed to work originally.

In practice this means a single SAM site can distract Air Strikes forever, since it gets higher priority than almost everything else you can build, and can survive a 3-plane Air Strike. Unfortunately Obelisks have higher priority, and will get destroyed almost instantly unless you spend an insane amount on anti-air.

I kinda love when they use an air strike to take out a single commando. Feels excessive, but somehow still appropriate.

Finished the NOD campaign. Went with 13c, blindly. Tough mission. I saved the transport chopper in the beginning and used it to hop to the base directly east across the river. Trained some engies, queued up an Obelisk, punched a hole in their wall, captured the War Factory, and immediately dropped the Obelisk close enough to take out the missile tower. It was a slugfest, but I managed to take that base quickly using the wall-and-obelisk technique. From there it was 30-minutes of strategically-placed obelisks and well-timed engineer caps. Didn't build the Temple until the end, and just used it to punch a hole in the final base. Didn't want to risk the Temple triggering some nonsense since money was tight.

I like the NOD ending alot; it's way more fleshed out than in other games. That was an exhausting run, probably because I played it mostly straight until the end when I decided the cheese was due.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

catlord posted:

I'd actually be very interested in a look at mods for Blizzard games, because despite them being such a major part of my childhood and me always loving mods, I think the only mod I ever played for a -craft was (I think, it's been a long time) The Tales of Ravignion for Warcraft 3.

Funny story, I actually got this working after all. I guess with Blizzard's blessing (?), Hiveworkshop has archives of a bunch of older WC3 versions freely available, and I was able to play the mod on the 1.21 version.
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/wc3-download-archive-1-00-1-31-1-beta-demo.326836/

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I finished Starcraft Reversed, it was hard as hell and multiple missions I had to retry a half dozen times and had hour+ play time. I'm a 100 APM scrub though.

Looking at YouTube, there's hero units I don't remember so I'm not sure if I accidentally downloaded an old version or what's up with that. Anyway, highly highly recommend it, kinda feels like the Zelda/Metroid randomizers where its new excitement and challenge mixed with fond memories.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

The latter NOD missions in the original C&C are fuckin rough. I don't remember them being this hard. I've been doing a replay of the C&C series, and these missions are beating the piss out of me. I don't know if they did any rebalancing in the remaster, but they probably could have used another look, lol

C&C3 still feels like the "best" one to play, even though I don't really care for the retcons and plot changes.

I actually think 8 is the hardest. I did a replay of C&C myself two years ago, and realized I had never played most of the NOD campaign. I guess as a kid I just got frustrated with how hard it was and quit. I really like how the objectives and fighting style is completely different from GDI. You really have to scrap and steal your way ahead with whatever commando, dune buggy, and hapless engineer you've got. It's an insurgent campaign that fits the African battlefield, as opposed to the "playing as NATO" feel of the European GDI campaign. Pretty impressive for 1995.

C&C 3 is good? I'm only dimly aware of its existence. I wasn't playing computer games at the time it came out, and I was greatly disappointed by Tiberian Sun so I wasn't anticipating a third in the series.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

C&C 3 is good? I'm only dimly aware of its existence. I wasn't playing computer games at the time it came out, and I was greatly disappointed by Tiberian Sun so I wasn't anticipating a third in the series.

C&C 3 is decent, it launched with completely hosed multiplayer balance and if I recall correctly they essentially broke campaign balance while fixing MP. It wasn't a problem for turbonerds like me who blazed through the campaign at release and then rode each early patch through the MP ladder, but I'd imagine it's really rough to revisit.

To be clear, if you are posting in this thread, you'd probably enjoy C&C 3. It's a good RTS and a lot more fun / fast than Tiberian Sun is.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 6, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
C&C3 is probably my favorite C&C in terms of gameplay. I feel it really nails the balance between "old school" C&C, and Generals. Most of it is down to the extra freedom you get with the constructions cranes/the tabbed build-bar.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
iirc only the last Nod level was truly broken on high difficulty so you can still enjoy the ride until then.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Worth noting that this mod for C&C3 will revert the balance changes mistakenly made to the SP campaign:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/cnc-3-original-campaign-balance-patch

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

C&C3 is when Nod reaches its final form in unit roster/abilities. A fun game to play is "How many massed Fanatics does it take to crack a base wide open?" You can also do a pure black fire build and just bake everything in sight

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I enjoyed C&C3 single player for what it was, but I still can't get over how ugly it was. RA3 just felt like a better game, regardless of people's opinions on naval combat and transforming-unit micro. It still looks pretty today, despite being only a year between the two!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Red Alert 3 looked glorious and the Empire of the Rising Sun's transforming gimmick is great. I never did get around to beating the expansions special scenario mode. Stupid Yuriko Prime spam mission...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

I enjoyed C&C3 single player for what it was, but I still can't get over how ugly it was.
That's my take, too. Gameplaywise, it's kind of a worse C&C Generals which still makes it very good, but I hate how washed out it is and I don't like a lot of its unit and building design.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Kane's Wrath helps it look nicer by giving you more varied landscapes, at least.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Moving away from the mechs was a bad move and I'll never stop being a little salty that most of them got relegated to an(admittedly kickass) expansion. :colbert:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Deakul posted:

Moving away from the mechs was a bad move and I'll never stop being a little salty that most of them got relegated to an(admittedly kickass) expansion. :colbert:

3 was lesser for the TS stuff that it retconned or left behind. Still think 3 plays the best of the group; I agree that it was terrific marriage of Generals and regular C&C mechanics. It was just missing that awesome atmosphere from TS

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 7, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not sure this is the right thread for it, but the chat about being colourful reminded me of it; does anyone have opinions on what they've seen about the Sins of a Solar Empire 2?

The new 'look' is much more brightly coloured, which I suppose is good for readability and gameplay and all, but I did kinda enjoy how the original aimed at cinematic photorealism a bit. Also dismayed that apparently Titan are coming back, seemingly unchanged.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

Not sure this is the right thread for it, but the chat about being colourful reminded me of it; does anyone have opinions on what they've seen about the Sins of a Solar Empire 2?

The new 'look' is much more brightly coloured, which I suppose is good for readability and gameplay and all, but I did kinda enjoy how the original aimed at cinematic photorealism a bit. Also dismayed that apparently Titan are coming back, seemingly unchanged.

Are you disappointed that they're coming back at all, or that they're the same Titans from the first game? Because from what I understand, they're a lot more modular and customizable now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just my experience with them in single player, and how their presence in the hands of the AI is very... asymmetrical. I get why they exist, since at super high fleet levels your ordinary capital ships can just be popped instantly by focus fire, but having a computer player pop out an ultra-fast titan feels really really bad.

I guess that's more of a complaint about computer difficulty settings, but I've heard some salt from people who play multi about it as well.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

the 'new' look for 2 is pretty much taking a few steps back towards the original SoaSE look before the expansions added much darker backgrounds though... I guess the new ship models have a little more teamcolour on them...?

personally I'm in favour of pulling back a little from how the first game ended up looking. that kinda restrained BSG look is great when you can control the end result tightly for a scene in a show, but for a game, you really have to make up for the downsides with UI. vanilla mostly managed to avoid the worst scenarios, but many mods ran into problems with only being able to spot things against the skybox if you have the icons permanently on

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I had fun olaying Iron Harvest. I just wish the game had me fight mecha Rasputin or final battle against wilheim

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Been living in my GOG backlog lately, jumping around firing up different things in-between C&C sessions to keep things fresh, and I see M.A.X.

I remember thinking it was really good, so I gave it a whirl. While it is very good, it's also harder than I expected on the 'Average' setting. The second campaign mission is insane!! Luckily the ol' plane-hopping cheese wasn't something I dreamt up. The tutorial is also very extensive.

I'm surprised this game isn't more popular. It's a unique blend of base-building RTS and TBS that works pretty well. It's made by old Interplay, so the writing isn't too shabby either.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Serephina posted:

Devs published trailer breakdown, colorful look is optional

quote:

The blue and yellow coloring reflects the ability of the player to choose his primary and secondary hull colors before beginning the match. Players who prefer less color paint on their ships can select the 'minimal color' option when they choose their logo and portrait. This is closer to the Sins: Rebellion style.