Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xerxes17 posted:

Both are lacking that critical feeling of weight and solidness of TA.
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure you'd get it back it you just added screenshake, dropped the render res to 640 and messed around with the explosions, and sharpness.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
What part of the ZeroK UI is bad? It has ton of functionality in unobtrusive buttons, and the whole thing is customizable. Hell you can customize the individual default state of every toggle and setting for every single unit individually ahead of time even. The unit controls are so good every other RTS feels lacking (the drag formation, area commands, smart infrastructure build command, paintable move, etc. are brilliant). The only thing I'd wish it had was SupCom's synchronized attack feature and a more intuitive terraforming control UI.

Okay yeah the terraforming UI sucks.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 14, 2021

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Anyone wanting to play Supreme Commander should grab the Forged Alliance Forever client, which has performance improvements, an actual functional online component, and a metric shitzillion maps. The only downside is it requires a Steam installation of SupCom to install so it won't work with my old-rear end copied over install.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Although Supreme Commander is one of the games where you can just add it to Steam with the physical CD-Key. And if I remember it right, you get the expansion even if you only have a base SupCom key.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DatonKallandor posted:

Although Supreme Commander is one of the games where you can just add it to Steam with the physical CD-Key. And if I remember it right, you get the expansion even if you only have a base SupCom key.

I can't find the disks and suspect I may have gotten the game files from a friend. It's only $12 on Steam, anyway.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I played a lot of RTSs when I was young, I think the first game I owned (not bought, my dad got it for me, maybe for a birthday?) was Warcraft 1, but that was because we couldn't find Warcraft 2, whose demo I played the absolute poo poo out of. Lots of Starcraft, lots of Warcraft 3. My uncle had Tiberian Sun so I got to play a little of that over the summer once and was fascinated by it, especially in comparison to Warcraft and Starcraft (you can run over enemies with tanks! Can't do that in Starcraft!). He had the box for MechCommander, which I was always fascinated by because I loved the poo poo out of the Mechwarrior games, but I never got a chance to play it because he apparently lent the disk (I just now realised I've been using the wrong term, 'c' instead of 'k'. Oops) to a friend who never got around to giving it back before moving away.

Of course, I actually wasn't any good at RTSs, I tended to turn cheats on and gently caress around, and now I've realised that I'm just really bad at a lot of the basic RTS stuff. But I still have a soft spot for them.

Is Impossible Creatures old enough for the thread? I loved the poo poo out of that game, creating creatures was a lot of fun. I didn't delve into the campaign much, and now that I'm looking back and realising I really love pulp I regret that. I need to pick up the remaster at some point.

Myth is my RTS love though (it's RTT technically, but that'd be a loving niche thread wouldn't it?), I found it well after my RTS phase, in high school, when I saw the LP of the first one (Johnny Law?), and bought 2 and 3. It's just perfect for me (ok, sometimes it's too hard for me, but you know), I like the lack of base building and the physics on projectiles gives it a great game-feel. Sometimes I boot up Myth 2 and play Willow Creek, because blowing up thralls with the dwarf they give you is just so much fun, and there's so much other stuff around that you can blow up too. Barrels full of fruits, cabbages, peasants, scarecrows... it's pretty relaxing!

cuc posted:

Blood & Magic (1996), the first D&D RTS? That game runs at the unusual resolution of 320x400, which enables more graphical detail than 320x200.

Got that on a collection of older D&D games. I don't remember it being very good, but I have fond memories of it regardless. I kinda want to try it again, but my current computer doesn't have a disk drive and I haven't got around to buying an external yet.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hello, I too have fond memories of commanding little dudes to destroy stuff.

DatonKallandor posted:

For anyone who likes Total Annihlation or streaming-economy large scale RTS in general, Zero-K is on Steam and free and maybe the best RTS currently around and still in active development.

Also never forget the classic Earth 21XX trilogy. Starts strong, amazing middle game(s), terrible last entry.

There are two RTSs I tried to get into back in the day but just couldn't. One is dark reign. The other is Earth 21XX. For both of them I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how you were supposed to play them. With Dark Reign, I couldn't figure out an effective defense. Your base defense turrets were singularly pathetic; the basic infantryman could stand on a diagonal and pick away at them, and the turret would just sit there. Earth 21XX (etc) I had a similar problem. Maybe I was just used in an RTS to have units with clearly defined roles, because either the AI would kick my rear end, making me spend all my money just rebuilding, or else I'd build a 3x3 or 4x4 block of the top tier unit, which would create a zone of death which I'd vvveeeerrrryyy sllloooowwwwlllyyy win the map with.

I admit the kid me did like swarms of low level robots, one side I remember had a transport RV?

Mordja posted:

My hot take on Homeworld is that HW2 is actually a much better campaign than HW1, it just kind of dives into the space mycticism angle more than people like and doesn't have the strong, driving through-line that the first game does. But its mission design is far more interesting and I prefer its gameplay mechanics, even if it means most units are a lot flimsier than their HW1 counterparts. DOK is alsofantastic.

I was a big fan of the Homeworld Series. I'd like to register myself as one of those dorks who actually played the final battle to save that dope Captain Ellison?

My piss-take on all of them: the first one for me is great, and I think a major part of why I liked it so much was the pacing. You sometimes got into furious combat, but you'd also have these stretches where you'd be adjusting your fleet, researching and resourcing. You also were given goals, and the game for a fair extent really didn't care what tactics you used to accomplish them. On top of that, the capturing of ships became this own little sub-game in of itself when you got good enough to accomplish the mission goals by destroying. The fact that you could capture a unit, then retire it for resources made the perfectionist in me play some goofy strategies, capturing resourcer fleets just to recycling them for spacecash that I didn't especially need. The whole 'wheel of death' thing it had going on was cool and also in the context of battle, easy to understand. Also Homeworld was 2000 IIRC, and it was the last game I bought in a box with a lovely, well produced instruction manual. One more thing: it was the only Homeworld game where formations 1) actually mattered, and 2) the units would actually stick to their formations.

I think another advantage of the first game (please correct me if there's another one out there) is that the campaign did feel like a journey. Just having a narrative structure that was not just "get maguffin/pitched battle" was nice.

Homeworld: Catyclysm/Emergence didn't have the lovely art style of the Taidanii or the Kushan fleets, but the singleplayer campaign was hella fun, and surprisingly well written. It had a much more conventional story (IE a giant evil existential threat) but it does a good job at keeping things interesting. Best moment: the captain of the ship going FULL Kirk on some aliens and having to explain why it was ok to be afraid. Never played the multiplayer, but it sounded singularly weird, since one side was completely conventional, and the other was a parasite on the first side? While not as nice as Homeworld's manual, Catyclysm came with a good quality manual, too.

Homeworld 2, I agree it had interesting mechanics, but man, I hated it when it first came out. It was clear to me that the order had been "make it like Warcraft 3 as much as possible" which is singularly dumb considering the entire reason people payed homeworld so much attention as a series was because of how different it was. RTSs outside of Blizzard products were already fading, so steering into that was...very video games early 2000s. So:

• Units had hilariously restrictive level caps
  • Formations? G'gently caress yourself
  • In the campaign, far, far too many missions turned into a game of whack-a-mole, where you were hunting enemy carriers/factories that would just eternally crank out units until killed
  • Mentioned many times ITT: AI scaling was dumb in the extreme. It was like being punished for competence; if you had a full fleet, the AI would get, say, 10-12 battlecruisers, when your limit was 2 or three. The only way to engage that many battlecrusiers was with swarms of fighter craft, which would slowly wear down and destroy them before being destroyed themselves.
  • Want a few minutes of chill while your dudes harvested resources? Denied, that just happens now instantly. C'mon, we've gotta get to the next magic space maguffin!
  • While the wheel of death was sort of a thing still, for the most part this was left behind except for strike craft destroying battleships. Pulse Corvettes could take down almost anything; higarian frigates were now specialized into capital ship/corvette/fighter killers. This *could* have worked, but units steadfast refusal to hold formation means the instant you look away, your frigates would kill themselves by wandering off and letting some other type of craft engage it.
  • No more piracy. You have a limit of like 3 for marine frigates, and they don't capture anything above a frigate. Thanks to the strict limit cap, you're now hurting yourself if you capture anything.
  • So I know we were ambugious about it before, but now the bentuisi are space elves
  • The writing was awful. I mean in an RTS that seems like a minor criticism, but much like sound mixing, consider how terrible it has to be in order for it to come up. The plot is now a prototypical blizzard one, where the stakes are always turned to eleven every mission, you succeed in every mission but it literally doesn't matter because the antagonist is one of those villains who looses every time they come up against the player but still somehow almost wins, because then we wouldn't have the final battle of the ultimate showdown four or five times, and the game can't be consistent even with expectations spilled on the floor and evaporating fast. Truth be told, the ending is so weird and abrupt I think there was some sort of budget cut in the campaign, because the entire thing collapses into nonsense in the end.

But when the remastered version came out, I played the campaign again. Ignoring the complains above, it was still fun. The skill of the game is weirdly, multitasking. The last battle involves you using your fleet to engage three enemy fleets while maintaining a blockade of strike craft at three separate points. It's a good cap for the campaign, since you need to know how all your forces work if you want to smash the leftover enemy fleets and use your slow-AF alien dreadnought to destroy the weird alien bombardment devices.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Just remembered Homeworld Cat and Homeworld 2 are different games.....
I was thinking of Cat which is why people saying 2 was bad campaign was odd, never played 2.

Earth 21XX (whatever the middle game and it's expansion is called I didn't play the others) isn't too hard once you figure it out. The main hurdle is like you said: no defined units so you need to set up your own ones but each faction has it's own powerweapon type and a homing in type which is generally what you lean into.

No one has mentioned Ground Control (and it's not quite as good but very pretty sequel, had really cool arty units that had huge shell casings fly out of them as they fired).
Fun games a bit like Myth where you don't get to build units but leaning more into long range and large scale battles with aircraft and arty raining death on formations.
Made by the people that did World in Conflict which is similar style to them, also they are making a StarWars game now so hopefully a RTS like it but with Starwars setting.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 16, 2021

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Unfortunately Massive is far more known for The Division now, rather than their RTT roots, so I doubt they'd get given the Star Wars license for anything but an action combat game (almost certainly in third person).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Only thanks to binge-watching Zero Punctuation reviews do I know they made two Halo RTSs

Has anybody played them?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yes they are quite good no nonsense console RTS, 2 improves on 1 a bit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bbcisdabomb posted:

Anyone wanting to play Supreme Commander should grab the Forged Alliance Forever client, which has performance improvements, an actual functional online component, and a metric shitzillion maps. The only downside is it requires a Steam installation of SupCom to install so it won't work with my old-rear end copied over install.

Thanks! I've been getting weird stuttering the last time I tried to play this.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
anyone here play the Lords of the West DLC for AoEII? i'm considering getting it... i just blitzed through Halo Wars for the first time and am working my way through Company of Heroes for the first time.

but my heart lies with AoEII and this DLC is making me want to go back to it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'd really love to see a Warcraft 2 remake. I'm sure it's wildly imbalanced, but I enjoyed Warcraft 2 a lot.

Remember the Battle.net edition when they added a new highest speed which basically broke the game? Under the new highest speed once you put peons on a mine there wasn't enough time to take them off! I was so annoyed when everyone on Battle.net was playing on this new fastest speed. Ugh. Ruined the game imo.

I'm sad to see that the Warcraft 3 remake disappointed so much. I was so excited to play that game but it came out at a time in university when I really didn't have the time to give it attention, and I didn't play it much. I'd love to play through the game now.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

My impression is that the W3 remake isn’t so bad if you’re just playing the single player and also don’t mind it looking like reheated poo poo. The multiplayer seems like it’s horrifically lacking, though, that’s for sure.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I learned about "Pimp My Mario" because of the Reforged changes and it looked like a hilarious mod, sucks it's been killed off

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The War3 remake actually looks worse than I remember it being on low settings. There might be a higher res texture here and there, but boy golly some things are atrocious. That they actively nuked the old client is amazing, the Blizzard of today is a long cry from what it was ten years ago, much less 20.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

empire earth compstomps with friends was some of the most fun i've ever had playing a video game. i wish the sequel was anywhere near as good as the first game, and that the third empire earth just never happened.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sally posted:

anyone here play the Lords of the West DLC for AoEII? i'm considering getting it... i just blitzed through Halo Wars for the first time and am working my way through Company of Heroes for the first time.

but my heart lies with AoEII and this DLC is making me want to go back to it.

I've played the two new race campains.

The Burgundian campaign has a very strong "are we the baddies" feel to it as it opens with the preparation of the pyre for Joan of Arc, and the final mission is actually capturing the Maid herself.

I'm not sure why Phillip the good is remembered by that title with something like that on his resume, honestly.

The Sicilian campaign has you playing as the Normans for most of the missions, its pretty good, as long as you don't forget about your stealth cav bonus, the -50% damage one.

Haven't gotten around to longshanks. He seems like an rear end in a top hat, but that was the style at the time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've actually put AoE2 Definitive Edition on my wishlist because of this thread, I only played it a few times back in the day. Does it include all the stuff I'd want, coming into it? eg expos and whatnot? I'd probably only play the campains and a few skirmishes.

edit: Purchased, turns out it doesn't work with Proton anymore (as of like November?), refunded. Tragic.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 31, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not sure what you mean by expos, but I'm fairly sure the answer is yes regardless. It's a great complete package. They just released a couple brand new civilizations with new campaigns.

E: I'm not good enough at AoE to play online or anything like that, but I still like to have fun with the scenario editors and that sort of thing. It's really just, all the AoE2 and more, for modern systems. It looks amazing on a giant monitor.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 31, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Castle Blood!!!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh man Myth was my favorite. I bought the Total Codex for the family iMac knowing nothing about the series and I’ve been chasing that high ever since. Amazing gameplay, story, and multiplayer. It came with a lot of the big mods included and that was my first time understanding what mods were.

There was an excellent WWII total conversion (when playing deathmatch run from your starting spot ASAP as mortars were always inbound,) and there was an option to play campaign levels with mods turned on, which could be hilariously unbalanced. One early level has your swordsmen/archers/dwarf clearing ghouls from a town and they can manage just fine. With the mod turned on the ghouls became grenadiers and if they got anywhere near your riflemen could be instant TPK. So so great.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
If anyone's a fan of TA, I'd recommend trying out rusted warfare. It's basically and updated clone of TA.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Defenistrator posted:

If anyone's a fan of TA, I'd recommend trying out rusted warfare. It's basically and updated clone of TA.

Updated into one less dimension?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man Myth was my favorite. I bought the Total Codex for the family iMac knowing nothing about the series and I’ve been chasing that high ever since. Amazing gameplay, story, and multiplayer. It came with a lot of the big mods included and that was my first time understanding what mods were.

There was an excellent WWII total conversion (when playing deathmatch run from your starting spot ASAP as mortars were always inbound,) and there was an option to play campaign levels with mods turned on, which could be hilariously unbalanced. One early level has your swordsmen/archers/dwarf clearing ghouls from a town and they can manage just fine. With the mod turned on the ghouls became grenadiers and if they got anywhere near your riflemen could be instant TPK. So so great.

Yes I remember this too!
I didn't know what mods were either and since they came with the game I didn't know that they were mods until later. It was called Market Garden I think and it even had mortars you could shoot over the map. (Also I didn't know what a market garden was too and what it had to do with WW2).

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 1, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I actually got Rusted Warfare, mostly to mess around with the Steam Workshop mods. It's OK but very basic. Sort of interesting for using the open-source assets from a 1993 abandonware RTS.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Dark Patch was a mind blower back in the day for me

Playing Myth:TFL BUT AS EVIL??!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It was a cool idea, though if we are thinking of the same one it also gave the light side some silly new units like armies of "Spearmen" who all had Soulblighter's sprite.
Speaking of random Myth mods I also liked the multiplayer map pack which gave you an army of Lego knights to command instead of the usual units.

Also I just came across this thread and noticed a typo in the OP where it's talking about Myth:

Pathos posted:

Get a few dwarven bomber guys in a line and you can make a complete mess of the enemy your own team

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Item Getter posted:

It was a cool idea, though if we are thinking of the same one it also gave the light side some silly new units like armies of "Spearmen" who all had Soulblighter's sprite.
Speaking of random Myth mods I also liked the multiplayer map pack which gave you an army of Lego knights to command instead of the usual units.

Also I just came across this thread and noticed a typo in the OP where it's talking about Myth:

Nah the one i remember was just called Dark Patch and made all the campaigns levels focus on the side of Dark. Like the one level where you'd normally fix the world not has you escorting wights to blow it up.

Playing as Balor vs Hordes of Trow as opposed to Alric vs Hordes of Myrmidon was an odd change though

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dark side had its own mechanics too I guess for multi player, like the ghouls(?) could pick up any physics item and throw it so you could grab the wight chunks and use them as death gas grenades.
Which remids me of moving the camera back to your blob and seeing a wight strutting towards it a few meters away as they watch.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Dark side had its own mechanics too I guess for multi player, like the ghouls(?) could pick up any physics item and throw it so you could grab the wight chunks and use them as death gas grenades.
Which remids me of moving the camera back to your blob and seeing a wight strutting towards it a few meters away as they watch.

Oh yeah it was routine in multiplayer to have a Journeyman heal a wight to disassemble it then have a ghol throw the explosive parts at the enemy.

The Myth 2 tutorial was so fun. It was set on a farms and aside from basic movement it had wonderful Easter eggs if you started attacking livestock. You couldn’t lock onto a circling crow with archers but could force fire and bring it down, which took some patience. The narrator would say “nice shot! Er, I mean, leave the birds alone!”

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Nice music too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjC5-uJWvhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hTgvNsqb9Y

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hello rts friends. when i was a lad a friend of my parents bought a bunch of liquidated stock from failed internet retailer “etoys dot com” and i ended up with a copy of command & conquer: gold edition for microsoft windows. holy poo poo was that an eye-opener. i was not good at it but it was by far the most violent video game i had owned to date so it was very compelling all the same. i particularly liked the nod mission where you raze a village with your flame tanks

my other big rts from Those Days was age of empires 2, which i got a few years later and enjoyed quite a bit as a more sedate and thoughtful take on the genre. all the sprite work was beautiful and inviting and watching your buildings progress through the ages was really enjoyable. i should probably buy the hd remaster of this i guess

since buying an emulator handheld i’ve been exploring the console versions of some classic rts games. command & conquer and warcraft 2 for ps1 are very good, dune 2000 for ps1 is, uh, not. dune for genesis is better except that you can’t select multiple units 😬

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I liked Act of War: Direct Action and the expansion. It's a Tom Clancyesque RTS where you can be the US Military, Task Force Talon which is part of the US military but more high tech, or the Consortium which is kinda Russia/supervillains.

The plot was UPN movie of the week but the game had some fantastic combat and interesting units I hadn't seen in other games. I remember the first time fighting the US Army when one of their soldiers was wounded after the battle. A medivac helicopter flew in and picked him up, and it was so unexpected I didn't try to shoot it down. It was tons of fun calling in airstrikes as you didn't build an airport but could order the strikes to fly in from off the map with a bit of a delay.

The Consortium is an interesting faction as they start with relatively low-tech Russian units but after being "revealed" they can use super high tech stealth units. It was odd the game had two "good guy" factions and only one bad one but it worked ok.

The campaign missions were alright but dang did they nail the finale. First you target the bad guy HQ air defenses with stealth bombers, then the globemaster lands with your guys, then you need to clear a path to the stolen space shuttle so the stealth strike can neutralize the virus before it gets launched into space... it owned.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Act of War rocks and a lot of it's concept made their way into Eugens other games. A shame about their attempt at a sequel.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

It’s a little off the beaten path, but did anyone ever play Ogre Battle (either SNES or N64)? Tactics Ogre is one of my favorite games of all time but I never really got into the Ogre Battle games, despite a friend going on and on about how great they were. Anyone have any experience? Is it worth giving it another go?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pathos posted:

It’s a little off the beaten path, but did anyone ever play Ogre Battle (either SNES or N64)? Tactics Ogre is one of my favorite games of all time but I never really got into the Ogre Battle games, despite a friend going on and on about how great they were. Anyone have any experience? Is it worth giving it another go?

Ogre Battle is pretty great but I can see how one would bounce off it. It's still one of my favourite games easily.

It might be worth a playthrough with a party building guide, or other supplements. Some of the more opaque mechanics are important and poorly explained.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think Ogre battle was the one where everything is backwards in morality? Like if you focus the enemy leader first (to spare the troops), that's considered evil. If you have a stack successfully take a lot of fights and live, they'll now be a higher level than the fodder the AI is throwing at it, so you're now evil for bullying small guys. I had a event where a village was about to burn a witch at the stake, so i told them burning people was maybe not nice, so I'm clearly evil for siding with the witch.

Despite the similarity in name and genre, they're very different games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some of the mechanics are like that, but I don’t think the details are quite 100%.

The main stat is reputation though, and you don’t have much measure of a morality. And as it’s reputation, some of the decisions are at the whims of the people. Sparing the witch who was experimenting on stuff and being a general nuisance might not be the evil option, but the citizens want justice and it’s the unpopular opinion.

It’s pretty playable with a few decent rules though. In general I keep high alignment (good) classes together, and low with low. Good parties so the bulk of the city liberation, as their seen as liberators and not more conquerors. I let the low alignment classes get more exp and deal more killing blows, since it matters less if they get more evil. I don’t hang around in missions very long, because after a couple tax collections, you get unpopular. Pretty easy to get high rep, and all the jazz the comes along with it.

Tons of unexplained rules and mechanics though. I’m sure I’m wrong on a bunch, but I get enough right that the game works.