Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pathos posted:

It’s a little off the beaten path, but did anyone ever play Ogre Battle (either SNES or N64)? Tactics Ogre is one of my favorite games of all time but I never really got into the Ogre Battle games, despite a friend going on and on about how great they were. Anyone have any experience? Is it worth giving it another go?

Ogre Battle is pretty great but I can see how one would bounce off it. It's still one of my favourite games easily.

It might be worth a playthrough with a party building guide, or other supplements. Some of the more opaque mechanics are important and poorly explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some of the mechanics are like that, but I don’t think the details are quite 100%.

The main stat is reputation though, and you don’t have much measure of a morality. And as it’s reputation, some of the decisions are at the whims of the people. Sparing the witch who was experimenting on stuff and being a general nuisance might not be the evil option, but the citizens want justice and it’s the unpopular opinion.

It’s pretty playable with a few decent rules though. In general I keep high alignment (good) classes together, and low with low. Good parties so the bulk of the city liberation, as their seen as liberators and not more conquerors. I let the low alignment classes get more exp and deal more killing blows, since it matters less if they get more evil. I don’t hang around in missions very long, because after a couple tax collections, you get unpopular. Pretty easy to get high rep, and all the jazz the comes along with it.

Tons of unexplained rules and mechanics though. I’m sure I’m wrong on a bunch, but I get enough right that the game works.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ogre Battle 64 smooths some things out, but adds a few new rough edges. The alignment system is streamlined greatly. The day/night cycle is far more important, and added to a fatigue/stamina system, bad timing can mess you up. It adds side attacks and back attacks, which drastically effect how your units fight. There's a phalanx formation system that's completely useless.

You spend a bit more effort on your individual troops too, as they all need individual equipment. Especially the first time you upgrade to a new class, where you'll need all the equipment. Afterwards you can buy them at class change.

It's another good game though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mages in some cases were better than Deathknights. Invisibility, and polymorph were unique tools at least. I've seen polymorph as an anti dragon weapon but its uses were too expensive otherwise.

Still think orc was overall better though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
War2 bloodlust was the best sound. Far better than any warcraft bloodlust sound since.