Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

empire earth kicks rear end and is usually forgotten, age of empires always felt too much like starcraft or warcraft to me (quick games focused on micro and tactical decicions), empire earth was a lot more like total annihilation or supreme commander with more strategic games that took several hours, especially if you played against the cheating AI players

supreme commander is also great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq0Oh0otQ0A i really dont remember whether krush kill 'n destroy was any good, but i did play it for a while, it was like a clone of C&C but on larger maps

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I liked Empire Earth when it came out, but having revisited it a few years back that game is hot mess when it comes to unit relationships. The first 8 or so (of 15 ages oy vey) are all pretty straightforward, but as soon as gunpowder units become more common and especially once you start incorporating aircraft and cybers, it gets really hard to keep track of what is supposed to beat what. The game winds up suffering hard for its ambition, there's just way too many systems and features interacting at once that the game winds up feeling overwhelming and very difficult to get into.

It's also one of the few games I have ever played where the expansion seems to make the game considerably less balanced than it was before, due to adding unique powers to to each civ. In some cases it's pretty straightforward and not that big of a deal, like how the Advanced Mining power allows you to have more than six villagers on a resource, but then you have stuff like Flaming Arrows, which allows archers to take on buildings, something the game absolutely doesn't seem to be prepared to handle. Like in that particular example, it's to the point that a single archer can cause a chain reaction that can wipe out an entire town, it's complete nonsense.

But then other civilizations get totally screwed. For example the futuristic Russian faction is able to build expensive nuclear ICBM silos and strike almost anywhere they want. This might sound amazing, but to counteract this all the enemy has to do is make a designated anti-missile unit that is not terribly expensive and easy to mass and distribute, thus causing the power (which is only available in the last ages to begin with) to be nearly useless in practice.

I also have to say I don't think I've ever played another RTS with such blatantly cheap AI. They seemingly don't have to worry about resources at all, even if you wipe out all of their supply lines they can just create units forever with no downsides. The cheating is probably due to the quality of the AI itself, which is profoundly dumb and would probably be very easy to defeat otherwise.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the game but I don't think it ever had a chance against AOE2.

the game shone if you played against the AI, rather than against a human player. it really wasn't suitable for pvp matches but i didn't like to play rts against human players anyway and always found it stressful. instead my housemate and i at the time would play a game on LAN against 1 or 2 hard computers. the AI would cheat like crazy, just pumping units out of the ground, so you had to turtle up and slowly fight back from a stronghold while keeping up with the tech, it was more like a tower defense game. these games would last for 5 hours or something, like an entire evening where we'd pause the game to hold strategic meetings and decide which part of the AI's bullshit base to attack next

one thing i also remember is that we set the ages cap at "modern", the future stuff isn't really much fun

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Serephina posted:

I played Planetary Annihilation a while ago and was only lukewarm on it, but it did seem like a direct TA successor, from the eyes of someone who never touched those games. Was it any good, according to the experts? I kinda got bored of it. I also question the 'no apm' claim as in PA, for every spare second there was always something to do, a hallmark of good real-time games.

the problem with that game is that you just lose oversight of what's going on, you fight on a bunch of generic planets that are hard to remember, you have to switch between them to manage these huge armies and it starts to feel more like youre a manager than a general, you're just outnumbering your enemy rather than outsmarting him

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the worst rts is probably conquest earth, your units dont even fire back, you have to manually control each one. fog of war is an actual fog that you have to disperse with a special unit, since it's about an invasion by gaseous aliens from jupiter

the graphics were cool though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WilWheaton posted:

I really liked the chiller RTS-citybuilders of the yesteryear. Outpost 2 was janky as gently caress in retrospect, but, it definitely captivated my 10 year old self.

Settlers 2 is probably the gold standard of this sub-genre though, and looks great, far sharper and more colourful than almost all the other RTS's of its age imo. I'm amazed to see it still has a semi-active community.

i love settlers 2, especially with the expansion, just taking over europe and building a nice little settlement, uncovering more of the map etc

i really like the look of the terrain in those games, in a way i find difficult to explain, something about the green grass and little details like animals walking around, trees and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bfme2 is fun but i could never get the mods for it to work, somehow the game would always launch and just play like normal without the mod, i dont remember what the issue was exactly though