Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yaya posted:

Meanwhile I'm here deciding if I just want to keep Zegras for the entire season even though he's in the AHL, just in case.

I think you're probably safe to drop Zegras, and I say that as someone who is a really big fan of Zegras. There are lots of good young players who might be stud keepers that are actually in the NHL already. Just look at all the players who got picked up on waivers today. It doesn't sound like Zegras earned a spot over anyone on their roster in training camp, and while he might get called up eventually, I don't think he's worth holding on to "just in case". If he does get called up maybe reevaluate then.

Honestly every year I get excited about someone who had a big world juniors and add them to my roster with the intention to keep and none of them have panned out. I think the last time I did it was Troy Terry.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Would you drop Ilya Mikheyev for Nils Hoglander in terms of goals/assists/points/shots?

Mikheyev is likely the weakest offensive player I have on my fantasy team.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think you're probably safe to drop Zegras, and I say that as someone who is a really big fan of Zegras. There are lots of good young players who might be stud keepers that are actually in the NHL already. Just look at all the players who got picked up on waivers today. It doesn't sound like Zegras earned a spot over anyone on their roster in training camp, and while he might get called up eventually, I don't think he's worth holding on to "just in case". If he does get called up maybe reevaluate then.

Honestly every year I get excited about someone who had a big world juniors and add them to my roster with the intention to keep and none of them have panned out. I think the last time I did it was Troy Terry.

Yeah, the thing with the HHL, you need to balance a player's performance in the present with their future performance. Like, if a player doesn't play this year, or he performs poorly, then there's really no reason to keep him next year no matter how cheap he is.

CocoaNuts posted:

Would you drop Ilya Mikheyev for Nils Hoglander in terms of goals/assists/points/shots?

Mikheyev is likely the weakest offensive player I have on my fantasy team.

As a Leafs fan, I would. Mikheyev doesn't have a high ceiling, and doesn't really bring you any other stats other than a potential 40 points. At least Hoglander has the prospect sheen.

e: Even if Hoglander blows, you will be able to easily replace Mikheyev's production on the waiver wire.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 15, 2021

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
2 games in but I am going to go ahead and say that I may have galaxy brained too hard taking Frederik Andersen 1st round in LSL

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Ah don't worry, you're not alone, I kept Tony DeAngelo in HHL.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s ok I drafted Yandle! I even spent $14 bucks on it. Apparently he may play now but yeah not looking good

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

2 games in and drafting Jack Hughes is making me look like a genius.

Then again, I spent my remaining $13 on Byfield and he is in the AHL.

Also, realized earlier today that I drafted the past 4 1st overall picks in the HHL.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yaya posted:

2 games in but I am going to go ahead and say that I may have galaxy brained too hard taking Frederik Andersen 1st round in LSL

He should still get decent wins in this division but yeah I don't think his other stats will be very good. He could lose some starts to Campbell down the stretch but I doubt it'll be major, the org is too invested in him and Campbell isn't all that great either, so you should still have volume on your side.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Twin Cinema posted:

2 games in and drafting Jack Hughes is making me look like a genius.

good bet

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

It appears that I dropped Domi at the perfect time

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Lol hell yeah Scott Wedgewood stealing me 3 cats in LSL on Sunday

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Did anybody else draft Malkin :smith:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Arabian Jesus posted:

Did anybody else draft Malkin :smith:

I realize he's in his age-34 season, but you gotta think he's going to pick it up, right?

...right?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Mock Scott Wedgewood all you want. He's saving my bacon after I added him for this weekend because I need two more starts to get the required five in my fantasy league. And it's 2-2 early in the 3rd period against the Sabres as I type this (Wedgewood with 21 saves).

**I have two goalies out due to Covid (Blackwood and Samsonov) and one unavailable because of injury (Talbot). Also have Darcy Kuemper (two starts this week), Jake Allen and Driedger (one start this week).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I very nearly talked myself into taking MacKinnon instead of McDavid at the LSL draft but I chickened out at the last second

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Got absolutely ravaged by COVID in both leagues this week.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I am beginning to think that more goaltending may not be the same thing as good goaltending.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

fancy stats posted:

I am beginning to think that more goaltending may not be the same thing as good goaltending.

One of the major shifts in my draft strategy in recent years has been to target good goaltending early. I used to do the extreme, hope for the best and grab the scraps in the 15th round, and then wonder I am trolling the waiver wire to see which back-up gets more than 1 game every week or two.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Not my fault if none of these scrubs in net can win a faceoff to save their lives.

I actually thought I drafted a middle-of-the-pack lineup, but I think I'm learning the lesson that really Oilers should: maybe Koskinen shouldn't start every night.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
out of the four goalies i have in HHL: one is on IR, two are in the midst of team covid outbreaks, and the other doesn't play until thursday

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Can we get more IR spots in HHL? Covid is killing me. Along with regular injuries I have 4 or 5 D out now plus Dubois and dropping 3 great players is not desireable.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Although having Lankinen/Peterson/Shesterkin is preeeetty cool and I'm sure I'll be looking to deal Lankinen or Peterson soon for some offense.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'd need to put a poll or something if we want to add IR slots, not sure it's fair to the teams that aren't having issues.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I'd need to put a poll or something if we want to add IR slots, not sure it's fair to the teams that aren't having issues.

That makes sense - I'm not asking it as a favor to me, I would just think that most teams are having issues with it. A poll is a good idea.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also, in HHL, I have an abundance of wingers and a lack of centers, so if anyone wants to deal a center for a winger, I'm listening. Toffoli is tradeable.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

T-Bone posted:

We probably should have thought about this before the season starts but we're all dumb

Also changing IR spots to IR+ is another thing we should have worked out, especially with covid restrictions

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Teemu Pokemon posted:

We probably should have thought about this before the season starts but we're all dumb

In a way, we're just being authentic to the actual league

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
This season is not going well. Between injuries and whatever the gently caress is going on with Khudobin my available goalies in LSL are Ryan Miller and Martin Jones.

HHL I still have Samsonov, Couturier, and OEL out and the rest of my team is meh.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Between covid postponements, a couple injuries and Khudobin's refusal to shave his sideburns, I think Yahoo has me playing like 10 fewer games than genki this week, so uhhh, let's get weird with the waiver wire.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
having the Canucks goaltending tandem really seemed like a great idea before the season started

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Picked a great time to pickup Lankinen :smith:

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Man, I really should've checked how many possible starts I could've gotten this week, I think I would've missed the 3-game mark even if I kept Koskinen.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
big ups to marcus hogberg for elite spot start duty

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with Malkin in one of my leagues. He's gotten better the last few games, and he's not completely dead weight, but still not as good as you'd expect. But I also can't really justify dropping Malkin to pick up, like, Nick Schmaltz or something. That feels like a mistake.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with Malkin in one of my leagues. He's gotten better the last few games, and he's not completely dead weight, but still not as good as you'd expect. But I also can't really justify dropping Malkin to pick up, like, Nick Schmaltz or something. That feels like a mistake.

Can't you find some shmoe that you could fleece in a trade?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, he's got a big enough name that I think you might be able to offload him for someone a bit more useful.

Also, barring a last-minute dramatic stat change, I'm pulling away with a tie this week in HHL by the skin of my teeth, I will never disparage +/- again.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 15, 2021

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
That's not a bad idea. It's a league with a few friends and friends-of-friends so maybe I'll target one of the casual hockey-watchers.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Speaking as a non-Malkin owner, I would probably try to trade for him if I knew someone wanted to. He feels like a good buy-low candidate. I haven't watched any Pittsburgh games this year, but I have a hard time believing that he's completely washed. Like, other 34-year olds, yeah. But, I still have faith in Malkin.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Is it worth taking a chance in Mackenzie Blackwood? His stats look great despite the obvious small sample size. I have Grubauer and Lankinen so I'm not hurting but he's a free agent in my league and it's tempting to use my second add for this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
I have Blackwood on my fantasy team. I wouldn't hesitate to drop Lankinen for him.