Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I personally know 6 people that were sexually abused as children in Catholic institutions. So take that "You're just being an edgy atheist" shitpost and shove it up your rear end. People are alive and walking around today that directly felt the incredible harm the Catholic church has done to the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

because I want to win the Catholic World Championship

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

catholicism is pretty dumb though for real. I imagine most religions are but it's the only one ive had any real exposure to. Church building is like 700 years old so smells like mildew, seating designed for puny medieval midgets so you have less leg room than economy seating on a plane, hours long services, stand up, sit down, kneel on gross tiny cushions, stand up again, shake a bunch of old people hands, get lectured on why you're a bad person, stand in a line to eat a gnarly dry cracker, etc. I went to a catholic funeral once and it was so impenetrable and weird that all the pews had laminated double-sided cheat sheets to explain what the gently caress was going on at any given point.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Hammerite posted:

being an edgy gently caress YOU DAD atheist is alive and well on Something Awful so long as you find a way to couch it in leftist/anti-Nazi language I guess

God isn't real

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I personally know 6 people that were sexually abused as children in Catholic institutions. So take that "You're just being an edgy atheist" shitpost and shove it up your rear end. People are alive and walking around today that directly felt the incredible harm the Catholic church has done to the world.

there it is

Schlong Connery posted:

God isn't real

No he isn't, but the Catholic church is, which is what's being talked about and being edge-lorded about.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kecske posted:

catholicism is pretty dumb though for real. I imagine most religions are but it's the only one ive had any real exposure to. Church building is like 700 years old so smells like mildew, seating designed for puny medieval midgets so you have less leg room than economy seating on a plane, hours long services, stand up, sit down, kneel on gross tiny cushions, stand up again, shake a bunch of old people hands, get lectured on why you're a bad person, stand in a line to eat a gnarly dry cracker, etc. I went to a catholic funeral once and it was so impenetrable and weird that all the pews had laminated double-sided cheat sheets to explain what the gently caress was going on at any given point.

You had cushions? You lucky bastard

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
This is a weird thing though. My parents sent me to catholic school for years despite expressing beliefs to me on multiple occasions that were antithetical to church doctrine. At one point I recall my mom saying something to the effect of, "I don't have to believe certain things I disagree with." Thanks mom, but eventually that just lead to "I disagree with all of this."
She still went to church for years after me and my siblings stopped going. I think she's finally broken down on the whole thing the last few years. I think she finally realized that they're never going to legitimately deal with all the pedo stuff.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

How many people have been sexually abused by teachers. Or boy scouts. Or foster parents. Are all those institutions equivalent to nazis too?

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Big Beef City posted:

there it is

No he isn't, but the Catholic church is, which is what's being talked about and being edge-lorded about.

Sorry, see my above post about the pedophiles

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The wafers are excellent

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Schweinhund posted:

How many people have been sexually abused by teachers. Or boy scouts. Or foster parents. Are all those institutions equivalent to nazis too?

If the teachers union had a well documented history of covering up sexual abuse committed by teachers then yes they would be. Ditto boy scouts. Ditto any institutions related to fostering. Next?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

If the teachers union had a well documented history of covering up sexual abuse committed by teachers then yes they would be. Ditto boy scouts. Ditto any institutions related to fostering. Next?

There is FYI https://www.theepochtimes.com/project-veritas-founder-discusses-teacher-union-cover-up-of-child-abuse-part-1-of-2_2552081.html

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My aunt's a nun and has done a whole lot of good in her life. About a decade ago she won this big award and I remember all these people I'd never met before coming up and hugging my aunt, saying how she's helped them get free medical care, paid their rent, helped their kids go to college, all kinds of stuff that blew my mind at the time.

When we were really little my Dad lost his job and the church we went to said "Maybe you need to pray a little more and donate some more money to the church?" and my aunt told us that we never had to go to church again. My dad accidentally fed us hamburgers during Lent one time and she said "It doesn't matter".

I have no doubt my aunt would still have been an amazing person without the church (I think she seems to realize that too) but can acknowledge that having access to those resources helped her reach a lot more people, so my overall view of Catholicism is "It's not good", even if there have been some good things done in the name of Catholicism or with the help of the church.

That said, I still love a good Lenten Fish Fry.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

My aunt's a nun and has done a whole lot of good in her life. About a decade ago she won this big award and I remember all these people I'd never met before coming up and hugging my aunt, saying how she's helped them get free medical care, paid their rent, helped their kids go to college, all kinds of stuff that blew my mind at the time.

When we were really little my Dad lost his job and the church we went to said "Maybe you need to pray a little more and donate some more money to the church?" and my aunt told us that we never had to go to church again. My dad accidentally fed us hamburgers during Lent one time and she said "It doesn't matter".

I have no doubt my aunt would still have been an amazing person without the church (I think she seems to realize that too) but can acknowledge that having access to those resources helped her reach a lot more people, so my overall view of Catholicism is "It's not good", even if there have been some good things done in the name of Catholicism or with the help of the church.

That said, I still love a good Lenten Fish Fry.

A lot of what your aunt said is the 'official unofficial' take of the church itself, from the Pope on down, these days. There's the 'yeah this is Catholic tradition' line and the 'look this is reality' that the church actually practices, which people fail to see as outsiders (please note: I am not an active practitioner, but grew up in the church and come from 3 active generations of full on Catholics, attending multiple different churches in different diocese, schools, etc.) The church, in practice is actually very liberal, it's usually only the parishioners themselves that clamp down on themselves for various reasons.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Imagine being alive in 2020 and still having faith just lol

I mean, faith in literally ANYTHING

What's wrong with y'alls brains?

I don't even have faith that gravity will exist when I take a step anymore

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I've been atheist for a very long time and went through a brief agnostic "pray just in case" Christianity phase, and honestly I'm sort of envious of people who believe in something. It means that -- forgive me if this sounds condescending -- there's still magic in their minds/hearts/whatever beyond the "birth -> death -> worm food" cycle, and I bet that feels nice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I absolutely understand you Mike and even when I was a kid and an active participant I dunno if I ever really had that 'spark', and I don't know if it's condescending to be jealous of those who do, or just rude to be dismissive because we don't

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

This is a newspaper run but a cult and and told by the project veritas founder who has never put out an honest piece of media in his life.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Schlong Connery posted:

God isn't real

I will take it under advisement

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Big Beef City posted:

I absolutely understand you Mike and even when I was a kid and an active participant I dunno if I ever really had that 'spark', and I don't know if it's condescending to be jealous of those who do, or just rude to be dismissive because we don't

Me either, growing up my parents made me go to (catholic) church every Sunday and I'd sit there and count the number of boards that the ceiling was made up of to pass the time. I don't exactly remember when I became an atheist but definitely was by the time of the confirmation year and made it well known to the people giving confirmation classes. Why I wasn't kicked out I don't know, guess they were desperate to get more people in and hoped I'd change my mind later. The funny thing is I don't remember exactly how it came up but I talked to my Dad about religion a few months ago and he doesn't consider himself a catholic anymore either, said if he had to pick a religion he'd probably be unitarian. He was never devout and I remember the main reason he'd cite we went to church when I would ask when I was younger is that he liked the ceremony of it. The reason my parents gave for forcing to go through confirmation when I didn't believe it was so I could get married in a catholic church or buried in a catholic cemetery if I wanted to. They know I want to be cremated if I die before they do now and I don't think I'll marry anyone for whom getting married in a catholic church is a make or break deal so pretty useless.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Banana Republican posted:

This is the answer to the OPs question, BTW. Normally people are pretty shy about telling you about how much of a psychopath they are, but if you're Jewish or Catholic or a white Muslim (racists assume all non-whites are Genetically Muslim for some reason) it pops something in their brain and they just out themselves as someone to avoid in like 30 seconds.

It's a big time saver!

For the most part the most vocal Christians I've come across are baptists and the like. Catholicism tends to lean more to a cultural expression the way Judaism and Hinduism do.

Re Catholic atheists in northern Ireland. Not the best example. That's just n Ireland being n Ireland. You've also got protestant atheists, Catholic Muslims etc etc.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Them wafers taste good as hell

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ain't been to a church in over a decade but at least Catholicism hasn't come up with anything as dumb and nihilistic as "God has preordained at birth who gets into heaven and thus has expressly created the majority of people for the sole purpose of being tortured for all eternity after they die". Went to a Pentecostal funeral once at it was grim as hell. Just a dude going on about how only 144,000 people in all of human history are going to get into heaven and the rest of us are going to burn.

Basically I'm saying John Calvin can go gently caress himself.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ain't been to a church in over a decade but at least Catholicism hasn't come up with anything as dumb and nihilistic as "God has preordained at birth who gets into heaven and thus has expressly created the majority of people for the sole purpose of being tortured for all eternity after they die". Went to a Pentecostal funeral once at it was grim as hell. Just a dude going on about how only 144,000 people in all of human history are going to get into heaven and the rest of us are going to burn.

Basically I'm saying John Calvin can go gently caress himself.

Yeah as I said above I'm an atheist but I will say Catholicism is probably actually theologically the least dumb brand of Christianity.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Who gives a poo poo about theology lol

Judge the Catholic church by the horrible loving poo poo they do in reality, not in some imagined afterlife.

It's an organization that is rife with pedophilia. They spend millions to cover up the problem and protect their pedophile priests.

And they preach that contraception is a mortal sin which perpetuates the cycle of poverty and disease in the third world.

It's a loving abhorrent mess and anyone who gives a single poo poo about their fellow man shouldn't have anything to do with it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

did you know that inciting religious unrest in the buddhist tradition is an offense so damaging to your karma that it is almost guaranteed to banish you to naraka, the coldest and deepest of all hells?

of course you didnt, because you have infinite karma

This is true but only to other buddhists.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ehud posted:

Who gives a poo poo about theology lol

Judge the Catholic church by the horrible loving poo poo they do in reality, not in some imagined afterlife.

It's an organization that is rife with pedophilia. They spend millions to cover up the problem and protect their pedophile priests.

And they preach that contraception is a mortal sin which perpetuates the cycle of poverty and disease in the third world.

It's a loving abhorrent mess and anyone who gives a single poo poo about their fellow man shouldn't have anything to do with it.

quote:

A 2014 Univision poll found that large majorities of self-identified Catholics in traditional strongholds of the faith favored the use of contraceptives: 93% in Brazil, 84% in Italy and 68% in the Philippines. In the U.S., a 2016 study by the Pew Research Center found that only 13% of weekly Mass-going Catholics thought contraception was morally wrong.

As well as the Pope himself stating that birth control was totally cool in areas where sexually transmitted diseases were rampant.

Tell me more about how practicing Catholics are abhorrent monsters constantly getting diddled by priests instead of being a mostly progressive religious movement of modern-minded socially conscious actors.

Perhaps reference Pope Francis' 'Who am I to Judge?" comment on gay men or women entering into the priesthood or becoming nuns and compare it to several Protestant views on homosexuality. Or any other of a dozen examples of Catholic progressiveness compared to other faiths'. Don't be ridiculous.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 23, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Guilt makes the sex hotter, op

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah as I said above I'm an atheist but I will say Catholicism is probably actually theologically the least dumb brand of Christianity.

Bud ever hear of Unitarianism? You don't have to pick between decrepit pedophiles and fire and brimstone fanatics, y'know

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Halloween Liker posted:

Similar to Rotary or Freemasonry, its actually just about networking.

(So I have heard. I'm not Catholic never have been, I don't attend any of the above.)
A good post. AFAIK in my diocese parents probably have to attend church a bit if they want to get their children baptized so they can be enrolled at a Catholic school. Generally speaking it's a handful of old people at mass except on religious holidays.

Ehud posted:

There are 1.3 billion nominal Catholics - that's the same as saying all Sunni Muslims loved 9/11.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bud ever hear of Unitarianism? You don't have to pick between decrepit pedophiles and fire and brimstone fanatics, y'know

Are you saying they offer both? I'm calling the police.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Perhaps reference Pope Francis' 'Who am I to Judge?" comment on gay men or women entering into the priesthood or becoming nuns and compare it to several Protestant views on homosexuality. Or any other of a dozen examples of Catholic progressiveness compared to other faiths'. Don't be ridiculous.

Francis talks out of both sides of his mouth, who gives a poo poo what that two-faced gently caress says.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well he's the Pope. So. Alot of people.

Guys the Vicar of Christ, Pontifex Maximus, a title held for 2800+ years consecutively by the likes of Julius Caesar and Augustus amongst others has spoken no one cares who gives a poo poo. Gotcha. Good call.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 23, 2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

the God we were taught about in school is very explicitly a powerful psychopath and you do whatever he says and keep talking about what a great guy he is no matter what demented crap he does because otherwise he'll loving double-murder you, like the only part of this that I can see anyone having a problem with in 2020 is that most of the people around you didn't actively choose to put God in charge of everything

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 23, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Big Beef City posted:

Catholic progressiveness compared to other faiths

is this one of those dog whistles I've heard so much about?

op I think people are good/bad or progressive/conservative regardless of their religious stance, being a catholic or anything else doesn't automatically confer any of those traits onto a person

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Well he's the Pope. So. Alot of people.

Catholics are notoriously dumb when it comes to their dogshit church

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Catholics are notoriously dumb when it comes to their dogshit church

You and others seem really mad about people choosing to practice traditional Christianity without having even a basic understanding of it or their desire to do so and I don't know why, you protestant scum.

I'm clearly teasing about the last bit, c'mon

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Big Beef City posted:

As well as the Pope himself stating that birth control was totally cool in areas where sexually transmitted diseases were rampant.

Tell me more about how practicing Catholics are abhorrent monsters constantly getting diddled by priests instead of being a mostly progressive religious movement of modern-minded socially conscious actors.

Dignitas personae was from 2008. It shat all over in vitro fertilization, embryonic stem cell work, contraception and abortion.

I'm not going to give the Catholic church a loving gold star for some lukewarm comments about not judging gay people. If the Catholic church wants to be seen as progressive then they should officially change all of their doctrine and instruction on these issues.

Regarding "Who am I to judge?" - you left out the part where Pope Francis reaffirmed the official position of the church that homosexual ACTS are sinful. So the Pope's official position is that it's fine to be gay, just as long as you deny who you are for your entire life and never find love with a same sex partner.

You're holding the Catholic church to a different standard than you would other people. If a politician was asked, "Do you support equal rights for the LGBTQ community?" and they gave an answer like that, they would be crucified.

If the Church wants to be seen as something other than a relic of the middle ages, then gently caress off with your Catechism that states that homosexual acts are intrinsically immoral, officially allow gay priests, have the Catholic church perform gay weddings, encourage the use of contraception and retract the bullshit about it being a mortal sin.

I'm not even going to address your weird statement that seems to dismiss the reality of rampant pedophilia throughout the church and the constant attempts to deny and cover up the problem.

Budzilla posted:

There are 1.3 billion nominal Catholics - that's the same as saying all Sunni Muslims loved 9/11.

I'm talking about the official doctrine and instruction from the church. I realize your average Joe Catholic is probably fine with gay people and doesn't want kid fuckers in the priesthood.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

There is a living crucifix embedded in my flesh that will torture me with immense pain if I ever am not within a mile of a Catholic church. It also makes me immortal. Praise the lord.

The later Hyperion books did get kinda weird like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I didn't leave it out and don't try to 'excuse' it. It's considered a sin within the church. Eating certain meats are considered unclean. loving certain people is considered unclean. Across MULTIPLE faiths. It's all dumb. I'm not arguing that.

What I'm saying is that it's RELATIVELY modernist for the Catholic church to open its doors to openly homosexual individuals. You know what ELSE would be a problem? In a perfect world, a straight person who was a priest, nun, or other ordained person having a consensual sexual relationship. Guess why? Hmmm? Guess.

It's the same fuckin reason. But we can't talk about that because that nullifies the point, doesn't it? That chastity in general is seen as a virtue by dint of religious piety. No one is asking or making you agree to this, but that is the view. Be chaste. Be as gay as hell. Just don't gently caress someone. Same as if you were straight.